PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's best friend?

...Eh?
2007-09-18, 04:01 PM
(Wow, three topics in a week? This is a new record for me. <_<)

A friend of mine is going to be running a campaign, and he asked me to play, along with another player, who plans on playing a rogue/assassin. He's starting the campaign at level 10, which is higher than he's used to, and the other player is playing for his first time. The DM has given us 50,000 gold (!) to start with, and we're limited to the core books. So, what should I do? Wizard? Cleirc? Second assassin? Freakish wizard/cleric/rogue/mystic theurge/assassain hybrid?

BRC
2007-09-18, 04:03 PM
I would go for another stealthy character so the DM can run stealth missions. if you go for a combat monster then you either get A: One person is just dead weight while the adventure caters to the talents of the other, or B: the DM has to split screen and esentially run two adventures at once.

GimliFett
2007-09-18, 04:04 PM
Spellthief. You get some magic and can still complement each other rogue-ishly.

AKA_Bait
2007-09-18, 04:07 PM
I'd suggest working backwards from idea to build. You seem to be going the other way. Ask your buddly playing the assassian what kind of personality his character is going to have. Then ask yourself what kind of person would be that guys close friend and business partner. Probably a few classes will leap out at you then.

Person_Man
2007-09-18, 04:11 PM
Paladin of Tyranny 3/Hexblade 4 with the PHBII Dark Companion variant.

Attack together in the Surprise round. You give the target -4 or -6 (if it fails its Hex Save) penalty on Saves. He kills it.

Crazy_Uncle_Doug
2007-09-18, 04:20 PM
Everyone knows a assassin's best friend will be someone who won't hinder his efforts, yet makes a great patsy when things go badly.

Ergo, I suggest a ranger with low intelligence.

Zincorium
2007-09-18, 04:24 PM
Core only.

So this...

Spellthief. You get some magic and can still complement each other rogue-ishly.
And this...

Paladin of Tyranny 3/Hexblade 4 with the PHBII Dark Companion variant.

Attack together in the Surprise round. You give the target -4 or -6 (if it fails its Hex Save) penalty on Saves. He kills it.

...Are completely and totally useless.

Personally, I'd say go ranger (favored enemy:humans) into blackguard. The aura of despair messes up people's saving throws, meaning that the poisons both you and the assassin can use are much more likely to work. That and your spellcasting stat is the same.

slexlollar89
2007-09-18, 04:27 PM
Maybe an Urban Ranger (unearthed arcana) variant, or Sorcerer/Wizard Rogue. If you really want to be a cool friend, you could be a sniper, or a "face" for the assassin. Picture this:

you: hello sir! I am a child (halfling) collecting donation for my church to keep youths off o drugs and gangs, would you make a donation to one of these causes?
(spend 3+ rounds showing him your "causes")
freind: I stab the nice donating man in the back...
you: I take his money and stuff, and add some to th donation pile... heh heh...

GimliFett
2007-09-18, 04:28 PM
Oops. Missed the core part. :smallredface:

Monk, headed for Shadowdancer.

slexlollar89: You a funny man, Dokta Chones! :smallsmile:

slexlollar89
2007-09-18, 04:38 PM
(Bows) thank you... I try, an if your avatar were real... h would win, all the time, because no one can beat a pirate wookie jawa boba fett wizard... thats just silly to even consider :smallsmile:

Alternatively, if the rest of the party were archers, the assassin could be there alone, and pretend to assault pepl, who are then decimated by hails of arrows and/or poison and/or more assasins.

The Glyphstone
2007-09-18, 04:40 PM
Are there any other people in the party? Or is it just the two of you?

DraPrime
2007-09-18, 04:52 PM
Definately monk, and then shadowdancer as Gimlifett said. You'll be able to join the assassin on stealth missions, and still do pretty well in a fight.

CASTLEMIKE
2007-09-18, 04:54 PM
Depending on race maybe Rogue - 3 (Rogue - 1 if going Duelist -1 with Shadow Dancer -3 later), Urban Ranger -1 (Urban tracking and Favored enemy of most common race), F-1, Assassin-5 (Assassin - 3 if going Duelist -1 with Shadow Dancer -3) for an assassin buddy. Decent Sneak Attack with minor spellcasting.

A cleric of rogues or death with the Death Domain could work. (Some of the source books allow partial casting PRCs like the Merchant Prince to give +1CL to full casters at each level. That might be an option with your DM if he allowed it to apply to the core Assassin PRC as you would only be adapting a core PRC).

Fax Celestis
2007-09-18, 05:00 PM
Ranger, I'd say. You'd be a better tank and therefore able to provide flanking for your ally, but would still be able to sneak around. Also, you'd have a disparate set of skills from your ally, and also have the ability to heal. Get yourself an unobtrusive animal companion--like a raven, cat, or mouse--and you'd be set.

Morty
2007-09-18, 05:02 PM
Get yourself an unobtrusive animal companion--like a raven, cat, or mouse--and you'd be set.

Or take Distracting Attack variant from PHB II and provide flanking even better.
EDIT: Whoops, missed the "core books only" part. Feel free to ignore me.

kme
2007-09-18, 05:15 PM
One of the things that mark you as a good assassin is the ability to prepare for everything.
Possible builds:
1 ranger/5 wizard/4 eldrich knight -this gives you spells as 8 level wizard, 7 BAB, track, solid skills because of high INT and option of taking hide/move silently cross class and maxing them.You may wish to get many spell storing weapons TWF and a quick draw for a crazy effect.

8 bard/2 shadow dancer (later continue with bard) -not exactly a strong build but could be in you campaign.Spells, good skills, hide in plain sight, evasion, darkvision, possibility of being a good spy etc.

10 wizard - make him non standard, take cross class hide/move silently, you can even make him possible melee treat for weaker foes, maybe take item creation feats, take silent spell if you think it could be cool in some situations, maybe carry a lot of different weapons of total +2 enchantment(bane, spell storing, merciful etc.)and enchant them with greater magic weapon when needed, and in the end whatever you take you are still a wizard so this is a strong option :smallwink: .

ranger 1/ barbarian 3/ fighter 6 -make him exotic, maybe go TWF with whip and some weapon, use net, maybe bolas, take hide and move silently.Obviously a solid melee with any style you wish to take and track is helpful too.

...Eh?
2007-09-18, 05:55 PM
Hm...I've got several different ideas running through my head right now. I do want a stealthy character, which narrows it downb a little. There's the ranger, or the monk/shadow dancer, or my original idea, the wizard/cleric/mystic theurge, which could easily become stealthy by casting Greater Invisiblity, then casting Silence on something small, like a rubber ball, which could be thrown away if it becomes imperative I cast a spell. (Maybe a shuriken that the assassin could toss at a spellcaster...that would make for a nasty suprise attack.)

Draz74
2007-09-18, 06:59 PM
Are things in the SRD allowed, even if they're not core? Because I'd definitely recommend a Cloistered Cleric (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#clericVariantCloistere dCleric) with the Trickery Domain (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spellLists/clericDomains.htm#trickeryDomain). You'll be another stealthy, skilled character, but also a healer and caster to complement your ally's melee style.

TheOOB
2007-09-18, 09:20 PM
A wizard/rogue/arcane trickster could be fun, you still have the stealth and skills to go along with him, and a bunch of wizard spells to boot (invisibility anyone?). In addition a death attack followed by a sneak attack ray will kill many targets outright.

Emperor Tippy
2007-09-18, 09:32 PM
See if you can convince your DM let you be an intelligent item, preferably a Psion (it's in the SRD). I've done that before and it's quite fun (especially with some good at will abilities from being an intelligent item).

TheOOB
2007-09-18, 09:35 PM
See if you can convince your DM let you be an intelligent item, preferably a Psion (it's in the SRD). I've done that before and it's quite fun (especially with some good at will abilities from being an intelligent item).

Wow, I never thought of playing a character like that. I can see it now, an assassin who kills for what he believes to be a noble cause, seeing killing as a unnecessary evil. His evil blade however whispers secrets and lies to him, telling him everyone is his enemy, goading him into killing in more and more ghastly manners, slowly turning him into a merciless murderer.

deadseashoals
2007-09-18, 11:17 PM
Are things in the SRD allowed, even if they're not core? Because I'd definitely recommend a Cloistered Cleric (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#clericVariantCloistere dCleric) with the Trickery Domain (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spellLists/clericDomains.htm#trickeryDomain). You'll be another stealthy, skilled character, but also a healer and caster to complement your ally's melee style.

I second this, though you don't really have to be a Cloistered Cleric to make it work. Just pick the Trickery and Magic domains, wear light armor, and take Hide. You can sneak around with him (use the silence spell), activate arcane scrolls and wands, and cover healing, buffing, and melee support.

Guy_Whozevl
2007-09-18, 11:46 PM
To compliment the assassin, an urban ranger feels like it can fit well. You find the targets and your friend eliminates them. Heck, any class with social skills can compliment the assassin well; you blackmail, he kills.

ocato
2007-09-19, 12:11 AM
Actually another rogue would be interesting. Set up for the flank and double sneak attack. Gives you the option to try another rogue build and you can play sneak campaign together. UMD for casting and you'll have a fun time.

dyslexicfaser
2007-09-19, 12:20 AM
A big dumb fighter. Name him "Knuckles."

Be the muscle for your quick-witted assassin friend. Respond to orders with "Roight, boss!"