PDA

View Full Version : Enlightened Spirit fix?

Nezkrul
2018-10-30, 01:08 PM
Has anyone done up a homebrew version of the class so it doesn't suck when it encounters enemies with spell resistance (like the evil outsiders its supposed to kill)?

ngilop
2018-10-30, 05:07 PM
Has anyone done up a homebrew version of the class so it doesn't suck when it encounters enemies with spell resistance (like the evil outsiders its supposed to kill)?

I did a fix for this Prestige Class (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=16497740&postcount=41). Not sure how you would take it, but at least you can look.

Thurbane
2018-10-30, 05:13 PM
If you can get access to Vitriolic Blast, that helps, although getting access to Greater Invocations may be a hassle.

J-H
2018-10-30, 09:26 PM
I allow dips in and out (for selecting other/better invocations), and have it progress Warlock caster level.

As it should.

Fizban
2018-10-31, 02:07 AM
I mean, isn't the best fix just dropping alignment requirements from Warlock and adding a bunch of celestial invocations? I once read a set of "homebrew" classes that were literally just the Warlock but with all the words in the class and invocations changed to different themes.

Even if your desire is that the base invocation mechanics are inextricably linked to evil/chaos and climbing out of that requires a Prestige Class of Redemption, it's still best to just continue the standard mechanics with refluffing/access to new invocations. If you want bonus prestige class abilities because prestige classes must have bonus abilities, you can stick with the archon theme it has going- fix the range on Aura of Menace (which should be a 20' radius, not 5') and give them the continuous Magic Circle and Greater Teleport abilities later. Access to such a direct travel ability which normal Warlocks don't get would give an distinct incentive for people to not just hellfire all the time, if that's your concern. But there's nothing stopping any or all of those from being invocations in the first place.

If you want to force Warlocks to have "alignment appropriate" abilities then you can just put those requirements on the invocations themselves. Otherwise the origin of a Warlock's pact can be determined by the player's choice of invocations. Players that choose a bunch of clashing invocations could derive from good 'ol waaaah chaos, or something like a Concordant Killer (or for disparate elements, an Omnimental). Obviously if the player is choosing to define their character's pact as they go, the source must be a mystery to the character.

weckar
2018-10-31, 03:23 AM
If you can get access to Vitriolic Blast, that helps, although getting access to Greater Invocations may be a hassle.

Actually, in most cases it allows access to Vitriolic blast early. As an ES you can get a greater invocation, which on your next warlock level can be swapped out even if your warlock level would otherwise be too low. Any time you learn a new invocation...

Troacctid
2018-10-31, 11:15 AM
It's a pretty simple class to fix. Just make it stack with Warlock to determine caster level and the highest grade of invocation you have access to.