PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Rate My Monster - Iku-Turso, Sea Monster of DOOM

OverdrivePrime
2018-10-30, 02:06 PM
I took a chapter or two from Tolkein for my game, and I've cribbed the history of my elves almost directly from Finnish folklore in general, the Kalevala in specific, and the metal band Turisas (http://www.turisas.com/site/) for musical inspiration.

Iku-Turso (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iku-Turso) is an ancient sea god/war god/big bad evil guy who gets banished beneath the waves by the hero bard, Väinämöinen.

My players (Wizard 18, Mystic 18, Archivist 17, Bard 17, Ranger 16), convinced an elven college of the arcane to research a super time-consuing and expensive ritual which will allow them to teleport Iku-Turso and its surroundings up from the ocean depths where it has sulked over the long millennia since it was cursed by Väinämöinen. They've enlisted the help of an entire elven kingdom, its army and its College of the Arcane to battle Iku-Turso.

NO ONE has done a good job researching Iku-Turso, and so they're walking in fairly blind to its capabilities and vulnerabilities except assuming (correctly) that it's immune to cold and lightning damage and vulnerable to radiant damage and sunlight.

The elven army and mages are going to get absolutely *hammered* in this fight, since they're not high-level PCs. I estimate they'll inflict about 250 damage to Iku-Turso in round 1, then 150 in round 2, 100 in round 3, and then falling by 20 damage per round as elves continue to get knocked out of the fight.

My take on Iku-Tuso is basically a kraken fused with a vampire, with some weird stuff thrown in based on the mythology around the beast.

Please let me know what you think! Should the CR be higher? Is it too easy to take out by a well-equipped high-level party? How can I make this encounter more fun and scary?

Iku-Turso
Iku-Turso is an enourmous tauric creature that looks like the cross between a giant squid and a titanic, six-headed fiend. Each of its six heads looks like a primordial sea creature, and each is crowned with a bizarrely large (25’ tall) rack of various types of antlers.
Iku-Turso’s arms look like a series of lobster claws grafted together. It speaks in a voice that sounds like the roar of surging waves.

Gargantuan monstrosity (titan), Neutral Evil
Armor Class 20 (Natural Armor)
Hit Points 553 (27d20+270)
Speed 20 ft., swim 90 ft.
STR 30 (+10) DEX 11 (+0) CON 30 (+10) INT 22 (+6) WIS 18 (+4) CHA 20 (+5)
Saving Throws Str +17, Dex +7, Con +17, Int +13, Wis +11
Spell Resistance: Iku-Turso has advantage on saves vs spells and other magic effects
Damage Immunities: Lightning, Cold; Bludgeoning, Piercing, And Slashing From Nonmagical Weapons
Damage Resistance: Force
Vulnerability: Radiant damage, pre-mythic bards
Condition Immunities: Frightened, Paralyzed, Charmed
Senses: Truesight 240 Ft., passive Perception 14
Languages: Elven, Draconic, Abyssal, Celestial, Infernal, And Primordial
Telepathy 240 Ft.
Challenge: 25 (75,000 XP)

Traits
Amphibious: Iku-Turso can breathe air and water.
Freedom of Movement: Iku-Turso ignores difficult terrain while underwater. While underwater, magical effects can't reduce its speed or cause it to be restrained. While completely submerged, it can spend 5 feet of movement to escape from nonmagical restraints or being grappled.
Siege Monster: Iku-Turso deals double damage to objects and structures.
Divination Void: Iku-Turso cannot be detected through divination magic of any kind. Attempts to scry upon its location are met with an unscryable cloud of 90 feet in diameter.
Father of Diseases: The touch of Iku-Turso carries Contagion as the spell. When someone is struck by Iku-Turso, they are affected by the Contagion spell, but the diseases are randomized. Roll CON save DC 23. Roll 1d8:

Blinding Sickness: Pain grips the creature's mind, and its eyes turn milky white. The creature has disadvantage on Wisdom Checks and Wisdom Saving Throws and is Blinded.
Filth Fever: A raging fever sweeps through the creature's body. The creature has disadvantage on Strength Checks, Strength Saving Throws, and Attack rolls that use Strength.
Flesh Rot: The creature's flesh decays. The creature has disadvantage on Charisma Checks and vulnerability to all damage.
Mindfire: The creature's mind becomes feverish. The creature has disadvantage on Intelligence Checks and Intelligence Saving Throws, and the creature behaves as if under the effects of the Confusion spell during Combat.
Seizure: The creature is overcome with shaking. The creature has disadvantage on Dexterity Checks, Dexterity Saving Throws, and Attack rolls that use Dexterity.
Slimy Doom: The creature begins to bleed uncontrollably. The creature has disadvantage on Constitution Checks and Constitution Saving Throws. In addition, whenever the creature takes damage, it is Stunned until the end of its next turn.
Common cold: runny nose, mild fever
Hepatitis: nauseous, jaundiced, fatigued

Frightful Presence: Each creature that is within 240 ft. of Iku-Turso must succeed on a DC 23 Wisdom saving throw or become Frightened for 1 minute. A creature can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success. If a creature's saving throw is successful or the effect ends for it, the creature is immune to Iku-Turso’s Frightful Presence for the next 24 hours.
Legendary Resistance (3/Day): If Iku-Turso fails a saving throw, it can choose to succeed instead.
Regeneration: Iku-Turso regains 40 Hit Points at the start of its turn if it has at least 1 hit point and isn't in sunlight. If the creature takes radiant damage, this trait doesn't function at the start of Iku-Turso’s next turn.
Sunlight Hypersensitivity. Iku-Turso takes 20 radiant damage when it starts its turn in sunlight. While in sunlight, it has disadvantage on Attack rolls and Ability Checks.

Actions
Multiattack. Iku-Turso makes three tentacle attacks and one claw attack, each of which it can replace with one use of Fling.
Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +17 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: (3d8 + 10) piercing damage. If the target is a Medium or smaller creature grappled by Iku-Turso, that creature is swallowed, and the grapple ends. While swallowed, the creature is blinded and restrained, it has total cover against attacks and other effects outside Iku-Turso, and it takes 42 (12d6) acid damage at the start of each of Iku-Turso's turns. If Iku-Turso takes 50 damage or more on a single turn from a creature inside it, Iku-Turso must succeed on a DC 25 Constitution saving throw at the end of that turn or regurgitate all swallowed creatures, which fall prone in a space within 10 feet of Iku-Turso. If Iku-Turso dies, a swallowed creature is no longer restrained by it and can escape from the corpse using 15 feet of movement, exiting prone
Claw. Melee Weapon Attack: +17 to hit, reach 20 ft., one target. Hit: (4d8 + 10) bludgeoning damage.
Tentacle. Melee Weapon Attack: +17 to hit, reach 30 ft., one target. Hit: (3d6 + 10) bludgeoning damage. The target is grappled (escape dc 18) Until this grapple ends, the target is restrained. Iku-Turso has ten tentacles, each of which can grapple one target
Fling. One Large or smaller object held or creature grappled by Iku-Turso is thrown up to 60 feet in a random direction and knocked prone. If a thrown target strikes a solid surface, the target takes 3 (1d6) bludgeoning damage for every 10 feet it was thrown. If the target is thrown at another creature, that creature must succeed on a DC 18 Dexterity saving throw or take the same damage and be knocked prone.
Tsunami. The might of the oceans bursts forth from Iku-Turso! This ability functions as the spell, but casting time is only one action, and it expands out in a ring centered on Iku-Turso’s position. (recharge 6)

Legendary Actions

Iku-Turso can take 3 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action option can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature’s turn. Iku-Turso regains spent legendary actions at the start of its turn.
Tentacle Attack or Fling. Iku-Turso makes one tentacle attack or uses its Fling.
Bellow (Costs 2 Actions). Iku-Turso issues a deafening bellow from its six mouths. Each creature and unsecured object within a 60 foot radius takes 6d6 thunder damage and is pushed back 30 feet. A DC 23 Strength save reduces the damage and pushback by half. A creature that impacts a wall or another creature takes 1d6 bludgeoning damage for every 10 feet of movement they had remaining.
Blood Siphon (costs 3 actions). Iku-Turso shakes the horns of its many heads, clattering them together. The broken bits streak off, dealing piercing damage to anyone in a 60’ radius. A target must make a DC 23 Dexterity saving throw, taking 35 (10d6) piercing damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. On Iku-Turso’s turn the following round, the spikes embedded in anyone who failed their save rip out and return to Iku-Turso. Iku-Turso gains ½ of the total damage dealt, up to its hit point maximum. (Recharge 5-6)
Ink Cloud (Costs 3 Actions): While Underwater, Iku-Turso expels an ink cloud in a 60-foot radius. The cloud spreads around corners, and that area is heavily obscured to creatures other than the kraken. Each creature other than Iku-Turso that ends its turn there must succeed on a DC 23 Constitution saving throw, taking 27 (5d10) poison damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. A strong current disperses the cloud, which otherwise disappears at the end of 2 turns. (Recharge 5-6)

Mr.Spastic
2018-10-30, 02:26 PM
My first point would be to bump its perception. True sight is not auto detect.

Remove the contagion ability. You will kill the party with this. Mainly the dc is a problem as almost no player can make that. The effects are debilitating and will lead to the death of your party.

Other than that I think it is good.

Edit: Remove Tsunami This will also kill your party.

Unoriginal
2018-10-30, 02:37 PM
Not bad, not bad.

From the mechanic standpoint, everything seems to work, but remember that the Contagion spell's effects only applies after 3 failed save.

Now just to make sure: is that being truly a god, or just a titan?

I think it has the elements to be an impressive fight, but I'm a bit at loss about why the PCs want to summon it from its prison to kill it. And I'm not quite sure I can see Iku-Turso's personality, if it has one, or its place in the world/plot. Which is somewhat a shame, because it's supposed to be Iku-Turso, who fought one of the elves' folk heroes, not any rank-and-file doomsday leviathan.

All in all, a good sea monster encounter that will pummel the PCs while still weakened by being on land to give them a chance, but needs a bit more of personal identity. 17/20.

Something that you could do to give it more personality would be to give it Bardic magic instead.

Magic song duels were a thing both in Finnish folklore and in Tolkien, and "sea monster who fought Väinämöinen in a song contest" sounds awesome.

OverdrivePrime
2018-10-30, 02:44 PM
Remove the contagion ability. You will kill the party with this.
Edit: Remove Tsunami This will also kill your party.

Is Tsunami that bad against high level characters? I had more intended that to wipe out gobs of low-to-mid level elf warriors. Tsunami averages about 115 damage over 5 rounds against characters that fail all their saves/athletics checks, and the party has a high level bard and an archivist (https://5e.writh.net/wiki/Archivist), which is basically a bard/cleric mix.
For sure the elf foot soldiers and land-bound cavalry are toast.

Good point on contagion. I really like it thematically, but maybe I can dial down the saving throw, or make it a 1 target/round sort of thing.

Mr.Spastic
2018-10-30, 02:55 PM
My thoughts on tsunami is that it automatically picks up every one and gives your boss time to heal while it shoves everyone back about 300 ft.

OverdrivePrime
2018-10-30, 03:18 PM
My thoughts on tsunami is that it automatically picks up every one and gives your boss time to heal while it shoves everyone back about 300 ft.

That it does, though it can’t heal until it can get out of the sunlight. The players, with their elf friends are teleporting Iku-Turso into an area with Hallow cast on it with a 9th level slot. They’ve bound a Daylight spell into the Hallow ritual so Iku-Turso can’t do anything to stop the light until it escapes the Hallow spell area or counters it.

This is why I really like the idea of giving Iku-Tutso some bardic flavor so it can counter the party’s spells with briny death-metal singing.

OverdrivePrime
2018-10-30, 03:33 PM
Not bad, not bad.

From the mechanic standpoint, everything seems to work, but remember that the Contagion spell's effects only applies after 3 failed save.
Well, that would solve the problem of killing the party with Contagion, but the way I read the spell, it takes effect right away. If the target makes their three saves before they fail three saves, they shake the disease off. If they fail three saves first, they're stuck with the disease for 7 days. It's a much nastier spell than I realized.

I think it has the elements to be an impressive fight, but I'm a bit at loss about why the PCs want to summon it from its prison to kill it. And I'm not quite sure I can see Iku-Turso's personality, if it has one, or its place in the world/plot. Which is somewhat a shame, because it's supposed to be Iku-Turso, who fought one of the elves' folk heroes, not any rank-and-file doomsday leviathan.

All in all, a good sea monster encounter that will pummel the PCs while still weakened by being on land to give them a chance, but needs a bit more of personal identity. 17/20.

These PCs are crazy. They figured out that Iku-Turso has been slumbering on the wreck of Louhi's ship, which contains the long-lost Sampo. The PCs have promised the demigoddess they've been taking quests for that they will recover the Sampo for her. I had expected them to do more research, but they just (correctly) figured out that the Sampo is in the same spot as Iku-Turso, and decided the easiest thing to do was commission a continent-spanning magical Manhattan Project to haul Iku-Turso and everything within 50 feet of it up from the ocean depths. I had originally planned a fun undersea story arc where the players negotiated with Iku-Turso for the Sampo, but years of experience have made the players absolutely terrified of undersea adventures. :smallamused:

I totally agree about the identity. Up until now this thing has been a faceless boogeyman, and Turisas is so much more than that.

Something that you could do to give it more personality would be to give it Bardic magic instead.

Magic song duels were a thing both in Finnish folklore and in Tolkien, and "sea monster who fought Väinämöinen in a song contest" sounds awesome.
I really love this idea, and would solve some of the problems with the encounter, as well as give the party's elf bard something to sweat over. A song-like counterspell, or a song of Weather Control might be appropriate.

I think I need a few things for Iko-Tursas to choose from as a bonus action or reaction. :smallconfused:

JNAProductions
2018-10-30, 03:44 PM
If you follow that reading of Contagion (that it applies UNTIL you make three successful saves, not only upon failing three) then be prepared for your players to Slimy Doom everything to death.

OverdrivePrime
2018-10-30, 03:52 PM
If you follow that reading of Contagion (that it applies UNTIL you make three successful saves, not only upon failing three) then be prepared for your players to Slimy Doom everything to death.

Hmm... good point. That does seem to be the literal reading of the spell, but it's way overpowered, particularly in player hands. Luckily, my only players capable of casting it don't like gross things. It's a good thing the Mystic can't get his hands on it. He's mean.

Maybe I should capitalize on the Father of Diseases thing and just have any creature within 60 feet make a DC 13 Con save against random disease every round. Make your save, no effect. Fail your save, you suffer some random thing for a round.

I could add about 12 more diseases for fun so that someone has to roll a 20 for which nasty thing they're afflicted with if they fail their save. Most of the effects would fairly harmless (save vs conjunctivitis!), but once in a while you get slimy doom!

Unoriginal
2018-10-30, 03:55 PM
I really love this idea, and would solve some of the problems with the encounter, as well as give the party's elf bard something to sweat over. A song-like counterspell, or a song of Weather Control might be appropriate.

Nice.

I think I need a few things for Iko-Tursas to choose from as a bonus action or reaction. :smallconfused:

I don't think you do? It's a big, heavy sea monster. Not a dashing swashbuckler or an agile panther-god.

OverdrivePrime
2018-10-30, 03:58 PM
I don't think you do? It's a big, heavy sea monster. Not a dashing swashbuckler or an agile panther-god.

Ah, I was thinking of something reactionary with a bard flavor. Counter-spell as a reaction song, or some such.

Unoriginal
2018-10-30, 04:29 PM
Ah, I was thinking of something reactionary with a bard flavor. Counter-spell as a reaction song, or some such.

Counterspell for a creature that though, who already got Legendary Resistance? Seems like it'd be frustrating in a bad way.

Dispel Magic (as an action) could work, though.

OverdrivePrime
2018-10-31, 10:15 AM
Ah, that's a good point. I want to make my players frustrated in a good way. They've been fairly used to capriciously stomping most things that cross them, but they've really put their foot in a different sort of mess this time.

I think I'll look at a series of weather related effects that Iko-Tursas can sing/bellow up.

Something like:

Notes of the North Wind (reaction): Iko-Tursas sings out a bar deep bass bar and an icy wind rips out from the North, deflecting up to 6 missiles or projectiles. Roll 1d12 and subtract the result from ranged attack roll(s) made against Iko-Turso.

Wail of Despair (action): Iko-Tursas howls a series of reverberating notes that interrupt mind-affecting effects in a 120 foot cone. Spellcasters have to make a concentration check or perform check vs DC 23 to maintain their effect. If the check fails, their effect is disrupted.

I dunno... I'm sure there are better options out there.

dmteeter
2018-10-31, 01:08 PM
How many rounds of combat are you planning for?

550 some hp when there is an army of elves dumping the damage you outlined would pretty much cripple this thing in 4 rounds?

even with its healing ability.

If your players get some big nova damage in this thing could go down in like 3 rounds

Dungeon-noob
2018-10-31, 06:11 PM
The question running through my head here is: were are it's minions? This is a (demi)god, even if they 'port it out, it should bring a (couple) dozen CR with it in Saughain, small Kraken, Marids, etc. A god alone is a god boned, because action economy is a thing. For that same reason i feel he should have more AoE and battlefield control. If they 'port him into a room, that room should be a new underwater death reef lair in a minute, or he should at least have a permanent control weather or the like going on.

Finally, i want to point out that since he's so fricken vunerable to sunlight, and you know they're going to port him into the middle of a sunlit area, you should build him so that he's an epic fight for the party even though they're using sunlight, and that he'd be nigh impossible without that. CR25 after all. I'm not sure that's the case right now, because he has limited control or recovery abilites, meaning he can easily get novad to death.

JackPhoenix
2018-10-31, 06:45 PM
How many rounds of combat are you planning for?

550 some hp when there is an army of elves dumping the damage you outlined would pretty much cripple this thing in 4 rounds?

even with its healing ability.

If your players get some big nova damage in this thing could go down in like 3 rounds

It's immune to non-magical weapons. Unless that army got access to very expensive gear, it won't be able to touch it.

OverdrivePrime
2018-11-01, 10:17 PM
Really good points. I’m thinking of bringing in a few dozen sea hags, deep scions, corrupted water elementals, and corrupted merfolk (including champions and spellcasters), as well as a handful each of marids and morkoths. I’m debating bringing in a Wastrilith.

I absolutely agree that Iku-Turso needs to be wholly immune to nonmagical damage. And since it’s a creature of the Deep, what do you think of making it immune to Force damage, instead of just resistant to it. Not much would be more embarrassing than getting magic-missiled to death by 80 elven arcanum undergrads.

Here’s how I imagine this will go down:

Round 1

Iku-Turso, Louhi’s ship, 50 minions, and several hundred thousand tons of water and silt are teleported in to a prepared battlefield in the middle of a level 9 Hallow equipped with light. BAMF! The earth shakes and water splashes everywhere.
Most of Iku-Tursas’ minions will be surprised. Iku-Tursas will not be.
The elves and the PCs will cut loose with a host of arrows, siege missiles (ballistae, mangonel, scorpions, etc), and an ungodly array of spells. Most casters will unleash their highest direct damage spells, and the PCs will definitely try to nova Iku-Turso, because that’s almost always successful for them when they have the opportunity.
Area-of-effect spells will take out most of Iku-Turso’s minions immediately, but the marids and morkoths will most likely survive unless the PCs focus fire on them.
Once it takes about 400 damage, Iko-Tursas uses its blood siphon ability, causing massive damage and some death to the elven ranks.
On its turn, Iko-Tursas lashes out with its Tsunami burst and roars that the impudent elves will suffer for their hubris. The tsunami will likely take most of the infantry out of the fight and will sweep any surviving minions out toward the elves.
Half of the non-caster/non-archer elves should be out of the fight at this point.

Round 2

The elves keep up their sorcerous onslaught and begin reloading their siege equiment. Elf clerics, druids and bards get to work trying to keep survivors in the fight.
Iku-Tursas curses the light.
Any surviving lesser minion with a high initiative wishes that the Light spell was put out.
On its turn, a surviving Marid makes that so.
The surviving Morkoths cast Darkness and start trying to counterspell the PCs and other dangerous casters.
Another surving minion wishes that Iku-Turso and its elite were healed.
Another Marid makes that so. Boom! Iku-Turso and the surviving high level minions are back to full HP!
The PCs will likely turn their wrath on any marids that haven’t granted wishes.
The elves continue their assault and a couple PCs use their lesser nova abilities. A giant wall of water speeding toward the elves will screen Iku-Turso from most attacks that aren’t from flying foes. Griffin riders will swoop in, smiting Iku-Tursas liberally until it uses Bellow, blasting the winged cavalry backwards for moderate damage and a possible fall. On its turn, Imu-Turso moves forward as hundreds of antler shards rip out of their victims and return to it, restoring 300-400 more points of damage.
Iku-Turso laughs, cruelly, at the mortals who went fishing for a god and now harvest death, then howls out a Wail of Despair, trying to disrupt the bolstering work of the bards.
If one of the PCs tries to engage Iku-Turso in close combat, he gets grabbed by a tentacle. 60% chance that the Mystic tries this.

Round 3

Surviving high level elves and minions go at it. Siege crews and archers who are able to arc their shots above the incoming tsunami wall (now down to 40’ high) let fly and then flee the incoming water.
What remains of the griffin cavalry flies around again for another sortie, doing some damage, but mostly getting grabbed by tentacles.
The PCs archivist has probably nuked the darkness spells with a sunburst if she hadn’t used it in round 1 or 2. If not, the wizard probably dispels. There’s a solid chance of the mystic teleporting onto Iku-Turso’s back. He definitely gets grabbed if he hasn’t been already. Iku Turso hurls grabbed knights at the party, but will try to bite & swallow the mystic if given the chance.
Iku-Turso has probably taken substantial damage from the party at this point and moves closer so it can target the wizard or archivist.
The tsunami slams into the elven fortifications at this point, causing severe damage and possibly toppling a couple towers (there are eight in all), and washing over the 20’ high ring of battlements if not completely collapsing them.

Round 4

The elves are in bad shape, but the minions of Iku-Turso are probably all out of the fight at this point. The siege equipment is washed away except for a few ballistae on the surviving towers.
Elves who still can fight hit Iku-Turso with radiant spells, magic flame arrows, and thunder damage while helping the bard heal and buff the heroes.
At this point, Iku-Turso probably has blood siphon back online, but will only use it if he’s down to 1/3 hit points. It should badly injure most of the remaining elf warriors, and the threat of the war god getting most of his hit points back next round should send the PCs into a panic.
The heroes are out of their biggest spells and special abilities, and it’s probably here that they start burning through the single use items they’ve collected over the last seven years of this campaign.

Round 5

If the PCs and surviving elves can use the right combo they’ve got Imu-Turso in a bad spot. Most, if not all, of his minions are down. The tsunami knocks the last of the archers on their butts and carries them out of the fight, though they never mattered in the first place unless someone thinks to give them magic arrows.
If used, the second half of Blood Siphon comes back, restoring about 200-300 hp to Iku-Turso. There’s a 75% chance that The PCs figure out a persuasive way to defeat the Blood Siphon return.
If it can get close, Iku-Turso wraps up as many of the PCs as it can, otherwise it continues to catch, kill and hurl elven knights.
The whole while, Iku-Turso vents his outrage at the mortals, promising that it will never reveal where Louhi is hiding (?!?!?) and promising a dire revenge against all of elvendom.

Round 6 and beyond
If the PCs and Iku-Turso survive this long, I honestly don’t know what happens next.
If the PCs flee, Iku-Turso uses its immense strength to dig a crater a nearby hillside so it can hide from the sun and heal.
After that, it recovers the Sampo, Louhi’s ship and begins to head for a large river, about 1 nights walk away.

furby076
2018-11-01, 11:24 PM
Remove contagion
Add ability where it can remove someones breath under water ability (hope they brought extra potions of water breathing)
Give it minions. They don't have to be strong, just harass. Sharks, piranha, saghuin