PDA

View Full Version : How Many Characters Do You Have Built?

KOLE
2018-10-30, 04:00 PM
Out of curiosity, how many characters do you have fully built or at least sketched out on a "Reserve List" or "To Play Someday" List?

Building and Optimizing characters is one of my favorite parts of DnD. Often I take a build idea, usually involving multiclassing, and reverse engineer a backstory/bio from there.

For example, Ralem Oakshadow started with a simple idea that's been done before: First two levels fighter for heavy armor, Con saves, and action surge, then going Wizard X from there. When I tried to figure out who he was, I decided on an Urchin who had been on the streets after running a way from a horrible orphanage he'd been in as long as he could remember, before being "Adopted" by a dwarf who ran gladiator fights and trained him to fight from a young age. Then, he discovers his parents were powerful wizards who died in mysterious circumstances, prompting him to take up their legacy and start studying the arcane arts and investigate the reasons behind their death.

Perhaps a little cliche, but interesting. Last night I reviewed the list of characters I'd like to play someday. A lot of them are builds I'd like to try, such as Halfling Divination Wizard who takes Lucky and Bountiful Luck features to become the Reroll Queen, or the "Nightwalker" who's a Hexblade Arcane Trickster Criminal. A lot of these started as builds that I turned into a character based on cues from the build itself.

There's a few in there that started as characters first, of course.

Last night I tallied up the list: 44 characters in total. Most of them I have a rough idea of how I want to build, but only about 10 of them have character sheets with a detailed list of what to take at what level.

I was curious if anyone else kept a list like this around, and how many of those characters did you build from optimizing first vs. role play first?

Sindal
2018-10-30, 04:06 PM
I created one character for each of the main 12 classes (I'm currently able to play 2 of them)

It actually helps you to understand (from a DMing and a player point of view) how each class more or less functions.

I'm playing the ranger and the sorcerer right now (Gloomstalker and Divine soul respectively)

But I really want to play the barbarian Ancient Protector or the Grave cleric

None of them are optimized. I used standard array stats and gave them all the basic tools they need (lvl 3 is as far as they were projected)

Mr.Spastic
2018-10-30, 04:46 PM
I used to have at least fifty builds on a storage list. These were just class levels and races without any thought out character. I eventually gave up on the list because I find it more fun to create a new character every time then just check off boxes on my list.

I do however have a list of about ten fully fleshed out character concepts that I want to play at some point. These have actual names and a backstory(not written). I like to keep these on hand for when I really want to play them.

Some of the highlights include:

Thamariel Woodsbane High Elf Storm Herald Barbarian. Thamariel(Tham) was different from the other elves growing up. He was hot headed, dimwitted, and known for his "explosive" anger. After an accident in which he caught several trees on fire, he was given the title Woodsbane and banned from the Elven forest. He soon joined up with a traveling circus and proved to be quite the acrobat. After outliving the other members he is now out and about searching for a good time.

Shagan Human Spore Druid(Waiting for Ravnica Guide). Shagan used to be an uptight farm hand who always worried about the harvest. One day he stumbled across a patch of strange mushrooms and had an "enlightening" experience. Now he goes about riding the highs of life, and mushrooms.

Johan Briggs Dwarven Gunsmith Artificer. Briggs used to be a soldier, until he lost an eye. Committing himself to craftsmanship, he buckled down and studied the ways of the artificer. After creating a new eye for himself, he set out to create a name for himself with his new favorite weapon, gunpowder.

Rossmund V of (insert kingdom in game here) Human Enchanter Wizard. Rossmund was once a member of a royal family. One day it was overthrown by usurpers and Rossmund was luck enough to escape(optional family member). Old enough to now plot his revenge he seeks to master the art of bending other to his will so he can make the usurpers bow before their rightful king. (Not gonna lie, it's basically Lelouch)

RazorChain
2018-10-30, 06:54 PM
With all the NPCs I've fleshed out during the last 30+ years alongside my characters

Thousands.

Now days I just keep my character concepts in my head and statsblocks are unimportant. As I mostly run games many of my character concepts end up as NPCs.

Nobody remembers your statsblocks, it's your deeds and personality that will be remembered decades later

JakOfAllTirades
2018-10-30, 06:59 PM
I've got an "Archive" sub folder in my D&D active characters folder, which currently has about 15 or 20 extra characters in it.

Sudsboy
2018-10-30, 07:51 PM
I have 9 active characters in 5e, most between lvls 10-15. I dream up characters all the time, but no point in writing them down until I'm ready to play a new one. Invariably, I change my mind about what I want to play anyway.

Wub
2018-10-30, 08:15 PM
I've got maybe two kicking around.

One is Tibby T. Havarti, gnomish sapper. Fighter 12/Wizard 8 with proficiency in alchemy and carpentry, he's a siege engineer whose dress and mannerisms come from the early days of gunpowder where every nation sought to build a globe-spanning empire.

The other is a goliath fighter 15/bard 5 luchador named Bearlifter. He is as straightforward as his description.

I do a bunch more optimization than actual play, 'cause it's easier to pore over numbers by myself than to actually wrangle a dedicated group together. Most of my optimization research doesn't involve fleshing characters out, so they're not really enough to be considered 'built'. I only give them a story when some mechanic or combo catches my fancy.

TerakasTaranath
2018-10-30, 08:20 PM
I have to many ideas to count tbh. I'm definitely an altaholic xD Right now I'm currently playing a paladin oath of ancients and I have experience with Battlemaster Fighter, Vengeance Paladin, Shadow Sorcerer, Druid of the Shepherd and like 1 session with rogue.

My main 3 I really want to play is high elf loremaster wizard(if the DM allows it, if not transmutation) named Alethros Sunreaver, a half elf scout rogue named Jasper Harroway and a human or half elf ranger monster hunter named Kaiser Wolfblood. I also want to play a wood elf ranger (hunter or beast master) with my friend who loves the traditional barbarian from the north idea. The wood elf speaks broken common, elvish and whatever native language my barbarian friend would have. He's a grizzled woodsman who is best friends with the barbarian and I picture them hiking mountains and hunting great monsters.

KyleG
2018-10-31, 03:51 AM
I have 1 in play. 2 almost ready for a campaign and a couple of others in progress.

1. A Male Half Orc Blacksmith granted the powers of a Trickster Cleric (3) by the GNOME god Garl Glittergold who is now at level 3 coming to accept his role as a cleric if not as Garls Cleric specifically.

2. A younger tabaxi female monk on a mission of discovery/investigation/scouting having never had contact with peoples beyond her clans secluded borders. Reserved but full to burst with question and also distracted, particularly by rodents.
3. A Half Elf sage turned soldier after the murder of his wife (where the offenders got away with it due to political influence). Returned home with revenge on his mind only to find all those involved have since moved on. In a moment of dispair he has make a pact and become a warlock. (He is inspired by the main character from "Law Abiding Citizen")

4. A Scholarly Gnome who has spent the past 100 years+ tutoring several generations of a wealthy family has decided to move on and pursue more arcane knowledge - Wizard. Conjugation?
5.A tiefling or Air Genasi? courtesan who has used her 'dancing' skills to secretly (or overtly) kill/blackmail or get information from certain individuals. Partners with ????? as she is mute due to her tongue being cut out at some point. - Rogue
6. A vain Halfling Barbarian?/Fighter? previously in a circus as a strongman?

Glorthindel
2018-10-31, 04:06 AM
I just keep one, so I can jump straight in if my current characters (I am currently playing in two campaigns) dies. I don't want to find myself "wishing my current character dead" by having too many ideas waiting in the wings. Though that said, I do have three different versions of the character, since the two campaigns operate on different rules (one is strictly human-only and PHB only, while the other allows all currently published books, but is still human-only), so I have versions suitable for either game, or if I get invited to another, less restricted game.

Arkhios
2018-10-31, 04:10 AM
...Oh god, that's a deep rabbit hole...

Suffice to say, in all editions and D&D spin-offs I've played (3.5, 4th edition, Pathfinder, 5th edition), I've easily created well over 20 characters or more, each.

Yes, I have an addiction. I should get help.

Wilko
2018-10-31, 04:19 AM
~50ish, But most of them are more character concepts than mechanical builds, stated for level one with some backstory and maybe notes on what subclass I have planned for them. I generally create one if I have a cool idea for a character, for example one of them is a Wild Magic Sorcerer who wanted to be a wizard and tried to take a shortcut which accidentally left him with sorcerer powers, his personal quest is to find a way to stabilize his abilities while preventing anyone finding out he is not a wizard... I have written some backstory and personality but i haven't even chosen his starting spells.

elyktsorb
2018-10-31, 08:05 AM
I only have 1 that I want to play sometime.

A Barbarian/Bard/Life Cleric/Druid/Fighter/Monk/Rogue/Shadow Sorcerer with the Urban Bounty Hunter background. The point being, every time he needed new skills for his bounty hunting, he would go through the trouble to train himself in those ways so he could be a more well rounded Bounty Hunter.

Dudewithknives
2018-10-31, 08:09 AM
I get a little obsessive about building things so probably about 200.

Many end up being well made NPCs for the games I run.

I do not tend to use a lot of monsters, I use a lot of enemy PC classes.

If I use a monster it is usually a random roll encounter, as henchmen for a an NPC class, or I use a monster that could be social and have motives like a Vampire, a Dragon or the like.

kivzirrum
2018-10-31, 08:54 AM
Three, so far.

Of course I'm the DM for my group so for me it's largely an intellectual exercise and I'll surely never get to play any of them, but hey, what can you do? :smallbiggrin:

BobZan
2018-10-31, 09:18 AM
Some builds I've made.

The Generalist
V. Human - Crossbow Expert
Criminalist or Urchin BG
Bard 1 / Hexblade 2 / Lore Bard x
8 14 14 10 12 16
ASIs in Cha.

This build is not meant to be the best at anything, but decent at everything.

After Lv 2 you'll be able to use medium armor, shield and Eldritch Blast on melee (Crossbow Expert). You'll have Shield spell for added defenses. Decent damage progression via Eldritch Blast. Buffs and Debuffs via Inspiration, Cutting Words and Spells. A lot of skills, thieves tools, expertise. Party face. Get Counterspell as Magical Secret.

The Cleric of War
V. Human - Sharpshooter
Fighter 1/Cleric of War 6 -> Battlemaster 5/Cleric 9 -> Battlemaster 11
8 16 14 10 16 8
ASIs in Dex

This build is a combat heavy support. With high accuracy for sharpshooter and lots of fighting options.

Fighting Style: Archery -> Use a Longbow

Cleric of War will give bonus action attack wis/day. Level 6 gives 2 channel divinities/rest. Battlemaster get Precision.

Cleric 1 you have Bless to improve your party accuracy. Use Healing Word for combat.

Cleric 3 will get Spiritual Weapon, Prayer of Healing and Magic Weapon. Use Prayer of Healing for out of combat heals.

The Ranged Paladin
V. Human - Feats: Healer
Celestial Warlock - Pact of the Blade
8 16 14 10 12 14
ASIs in Dex.

Start with Light Crossbow, get a Longbow on level 3.

You'll have 1+Level d6 bonus action heal to keep your friends alive. With Healer feat you won't need to spend spells healing. After 5th level you'll have some nova damage.

So I was planning on doing a Fighter/War Cleric, based on Ranged weapons. It has nice precision and damage, due to Channel Divinity, Bless and BM Precision while being able to do Cleric stuff. Its idea was to be a fighting supportive character. It was nice and all, until I realized I could do pretty much it as a Sorcerer with cool addons.

Divine Soul Sorcerer gives you +2d4 to either attack or save/sr and you can go with Spiritual Weapon, Quicken Bless, Hold Person, Fireball, Twin Haste, all fun Sorcerer stuff while 'archering' around. What do you guys think? Progression bellow.

Archetype name: Archerer, Fighterer, Sorcher, Arcane Archer?

V. Human Feat: Sharpshooter

8 16 14 10 12 14

LV 1: Fighter 1 - FS: Archery, SW
Lv 2: Sorcerer 1 - Access to Bless, Divine Soul Ability +2d4 Attack or ST
Lv 4: Sorcerer 3 - Acess to Spiritual Weapon & Hold Person Metamagic: Quickened + Twinned or Heightened
Lv 5: Sorcerer 4 - ASI Dex
Lv 6: Sorcerer 5 - Acess to Haste, Fireball and Spirit Guardian
Lv 7: Fighter 2 - Action Surge
Lv 8: Fighter 3 - Battle Master: Precision, Goading, Distracting Strike
Lv 9: Fighter 4 - ASI Dex
Lv 10: Fighter 5 - Extra Attack
Lv 11: Fighter 6 - ASI Cha if you want more Sorcerer power, Martial adept for extra Precision/rest or Resilient Wis
Lv 13: Sorcerer 7 - Access to Death Ward, Greater Invisibility, Polymorph, Stoneskin, FoM
Lv 14: Sorcerer 8 - ASI Cha if you want more Sorcerer power, Martial adept for extra Precision/rest or Resilient Wis
Lv 15: Sorcerer 9 - Access to Holy Weapon, Raise Dead, Hold Monster
Lv 20: Fighter 11 - Extra Attack (2)

VHuman - Feat: Sentinel (Skill: Perception)
Background - Criminal (Skill: Deception, Stealth)

10 14 14 8 12 16

1st - Warlock 1 - Hexblade (Skill: Persuasion, Investigation)
Cantrips: Booming Blade, Eldritch Blast
Spells: Wrathful Smite, Hex

Go with Rapier, Medium Armor and Shield for AC 18 on 1st level.

2nd - Warlock 2 - Agnonizing Blast, Devils Sight
Spell: Shield

3rd - Warlock 3 - Pact of the Chain (Imp Familiar)
Spell: Darkness + Trade Cause Fear for Invisibility

4th - Rogue 1 - Expertise: Stealth, Perception - Sneak Attack 1d6 (Skill: Acrobatics)

5th - Rogue 2 - Cunning Action

6th - Rogue 3 - Arcane Trickster (Mage Hand Legerdemain)
Cantrips: Mage Hand, Prestidigitation, Message
Spells: Alarm, Comprehend Languages, Identify

Ok, that's the basics of the build. How I see it flowing on the battlefield:

1- Use your Invisible Imp to Aid you, so your attacks are 'always' made with advatange. Use Booming Blade + Wrathful Smite + Sneak Attack (2d8+3d6+3). DC 14 Wis or Frightened.

Your opponent has some choices now: Dodge, Action to re-do the ability check, attack with disadvantage or move away with Dash or Disengage. It's good for you all the way. Landed a good hit and your opponent did at least a bad action. If he moves he takes 2d8 from Booming Blade and you can give an OA, sometimes will be sneak attack viable.

2- By 6th level you'll be able to cast Wrathful Smite 2/short + 2/long, about 6 to 8 times a day, so you won't be able SPAM it all day. No worries.

3- Use your Invisible Imp to Aid you, so your attack is made with advatange. Booming Blade + Sneak Attack + Cunning Action. Go in, strike, go out (or don't). Your hit will be very similar to the smite: (2d8+2d6+3)

4- Booming Blade + Sneak Attack + Hexblade's Curse

5- Booming Blade + Sneak Attack + Hex

6- Darkness + Eldritch Blast

7- Darkness on your sword and go in!

Yet another Gish
Basic Array - 8 14 13 10 12 15
V. Human -> Warcaster

Level 1
Warlock 1

Prof: Wis, Cha

Skills:
Warlock: Investigation, Deception
Outlander: Survival, Athletics
Entertainer (Gladiator): Acrobatics, Performance
Human: Perception

Patron: Hexblade

AC: Scale Mail + Shield = 18

Cantrips: GreenFlame Blade, Eldritch Blast
Spells: Shield, Hex

Level 2
Hexblade 2

+1 slot/sr
Invocations: Agonizing Blast, Devil's Sight

Level 3
Bard 1

Skill: Persuasion

Cantrips: Light, Vicious Mockery
Spells: Healing Word (whackamole), Charm Person (out of combat usefulness), Dissonant Whispers (AoO for everyone), Sleep (good early on)

Level 4
Bard 2

Jack of All Trades
Spell: Identify (cool spell to have around)

Level 5
Bard 3

*This level is huge. Bonus action Heat Metal, Greenflame Blade + Flourish. Nice damage.*

Expertise: Perception, Athletics Persuasion

College of Swords
Fighting Style: Dueling

Spells: Heat Metal, switch Sleep for Hold Person

Level 6
Bard 4

ASI: +2 Cha
Spell: Crown of Madness Invisibility

Level 7
Bard 5

Inspiration: d8, short rest
Spell: Hypnotic Pattern (some crowd control)

Level 8
Bard 6

Extra Attack
Spell: Leomund's Tiny Hut (warm place whenever you are)

Level 9
Bard 7

Spell: Polymorph

Level 10
Bard 8

ASI: +2 CHA
Spell: Greater Invisibility (yes!)

Level 11
Bard 9

Spells: Animate Objects <3, switch Crown of Madness for Raise Dead (party savior)

Level 12
Bard 10

Inspiration: d10
Magical Secret: Cone of Cold (awesome area damage), Find Greater Steed (because griphon)
Spells: Greater Restoration, switch Hypnotic Pattern for Hold Monster (boss)

Levels 13+ -
Paladin -> Oath of Conquest

BoxANT
2018-10-31, 10:07 AM
let me check

yikes

Sariel Vailo
2018-11-02, 12:00 PM
I have six on the back burner five that might see play and one who will never see gametime.
sum Ting Wong is a goblin monk who took the drunken monk archetype some Feats that allow him to stay in the same space as huge or larger creatures and just wail on them without being hit due to giving them super disadvantage
This was my fighter it was essentially a high-tier character and then evil or neutral game my character Rose from the depths to become chaotic good they Excel at one strike fighting style they eventually at level 20 began to take instead of Boons monk levels going kensei they are currently level 22 monk level 2 working on becoming at one with a situation that brought them here
This one is literally just a half orc stripper he performs by stripping just full-on stripping inspiration strip use the archetypal bard
this is Roscoe good Barrel The halfling Shard of divinity the DM had a idea for stats roll a D20 take whatever you get. These Dice that I was using were my unluckiest sets used mainly for wild Magic sorcerers when creating Roscoe the dice decided it was all going 2 be twenties my DM seeing what transpired gave me an artifact at level one with no bonuses to hit or damage increases just a gold painted battle axe that increase the loot or XP when I killed something if I wanted this item I had to drop 3 twenties 18. Roscoe is a Shard of halfling divinity acts more like a dwarf when it comes to combat but still cares very much for the people around him
The next character is the one I use very recently that I can will be using again either as a NPC or hopefully as a player character yet his name is Lucien LeChance if he does not trust you he gives you a stage name Dan h andsome now he was a dhampir a Homebrew archetype from the middle finger of vecna running around in the land of strahd. he was hiding his vampiric features fairly well doing very well making happiness wherever he went and then it began to go downhill the domain of dread was creeping into his very soul he was getting more aggressive with some people some things are happening strahd just messing with his mind. one morning he awoke his fangs longer than they were the night before discover he had become more vampiric he gained some more traits of his ancestors that was a gift or otherwise he gave the group he was with his real name adopted some children so he could keep them safe.killed the witches at the bone grinder by burning it to the ground Reviving who he could or wanted to he went to Straud's domain to rescue some children he just he will rescue them.he is a swords Bard he believes that everything he does is a performance.

GlenSmash!
2018-11-02, 06:49 PM
Seventeen.