PDA

View Full Version : What would You Do?

Karonag
2007-09-18, 04:41 PM
What would you do if you were in Haley and Belkar's position? Nothing too far outside the box please.

Mystyco
2007-09-18, 04:48 PM
hide n' wait for the right time
then run

oh wait, belkar would just step out making little meat pile of those goblins

newcresty
2007-09-18, 05:16 PM
Can't. MoJ.

Yeril
2007-09-18, 05:20 PM
I'd wait for Vaarsuvius or Durkon to send me a message via magic

Spiryt
2007-09-18, 05:21 PM
Try to get the hell out of city. City is big, just physically many streets must be empty.

Of course good sneaking is impossible when they must carry heavy fighter, but still this is their only chance.

Staying in the city would be dangerous.

de-trick
2007-09-18, 05:27 PM
sit and cry

then bring it together and run like the wind

Edea
2007-09-18, 06:28 PM
...bust the Booty talisman. I'm surprised they haven't done it yet, Celia can carry Roy with ease, and Belkar's only about 30 lbs. extra. I doubt Haley would add too much more weight.

EDIT: OWAIT, haha they don't know what it does! (I don't think they do, do they?) That's gotta suck :P

Admiral_Kelly
2007-09-18, 07:38 PM
Change sides?

And why not?

Karonag
2007-09-18, 07:42 PM
Good answers, I thought of the Booty talisman too. O, and Xykon will probably kill them before they get too close to changing sides. Or :redcloak: will go balistic from all the goblins they killed.

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-09-18, 08:17 PM
The Booty Talisman is the obvious choice, and yes, Haley knows how to use it.

It's the "Cloister" spell that I'm worried about.

Edea
2007-09-18, 08:24 PM
Mmh, I'm inclined to think they can get out, but they won't be able to get back in once they leave, kinda like once they leave the area of the spell, POOF, the city will, from their perspective, vanish (this might have unforeseen consequences).

David Argall
2007-09-18, 10:05 PM
For the moment, Haley is going to do zip. The obvious plan is to just hide and wait for the spellcasters to get to work in 12 hours or so. So the best plan is to do nothing.

Now this plan is going to be interrupted by O-Chul ending up right outside their hideout, which will mean they have to rescue him some way. This has all sorts of possible consequences, most of them bad.

And of course along about noon, she is going to realize she can't expect a rescue party, after which she will be trying to sneak out of town with 2 stiffs.

Bayar
2007-09-19, 03:49 AM
Maybe they will get teleported on the ship by V...just an opinion

TK-Squared
2007-09-19, 04:07 AM
Maybe they will get teleported on the ship by V...just an opinion

I was unaware V could now cast teleport spells. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0340.html)

Bayar
2007-09-19, 05:58 AM
Ah, sry. You are right....maybe they have a Wizard somewhere aboard that can cast teleport....another thought...

FrostXian
2007-09-19, 07:34 AM
I'd wait for Vaarsuvius or Durkon to send me a message via magic

Doesn't work. I think Cloister also blocks those, among with teleportations. So V, Durkon or anyone else in the world for that matter will not be able to come and save them unless they come walking, without magic.

Ah, sry. You are right....maybe they have a Wizard somewhere aboard that can cast teleport....another thought...

Doesn't work for the same reason.

Vargtass
2007-09-19, 07:46 AM
The wizard that could do teleport in Azure City was eaten by a Roc, so no speculation on the power of Cloister is needed onthat issue.

dakiwiboid
2007-09-19, 02:44 PM
Now this plan is going to be interrupted by O-Chul ending up right outside their hideout, which will mean they have to rescue him some way.

From what I can see, O-Chul is quite some distance across the city. What makes you so certain that the MitD is going to drag O-Chul right outside their hideout?

Jimorian
2007-09-20, 11:40 PM
From what I can see, O-Chul is quite some distance across the city. What makes you so certain that the MitD is going to drag O-Chul right outside their hideout?

So he can redeem his Plot Coupons.

David Argall
2007-09-21, 12:34 AM

The fact that he is being moved means his current location is unimportant. It will change to nearer Haley.

And the demands of plot demand that O-Chul get rescued. Maybe after another dozen false starts, and maybe entirely by accident, but still rescued. His being on-stage all this time just calls for his successful escape. So that means he gets moved to where he can be rescued. Since Haley is not going to move until dawn at least, that means O-Chul gets moved to her.

Just what will happen then is not so definite. But Haley will spot O-Chul and make a rescue attempt. Maybe several, depending on how much the writer wants to milk it. Lich and Redcloak will make appearances, before/after/during the rescue, and will likely just get in each other's way in terms of noticing or doing anything about Haley. Eventually Haley ends up with the paladin, tho we can't rule out rescue by accident.

The Wanderer
2007-09-21, 12:43 AM
First thought would be hide somewhere really hard to find by accident, and wait to hear from Durkon and V. If for some reason it didn't come, I'd turn right away to getting out of the city, because staying there with the 20,000 hobs that are going to be patrolling the streets, (as seen through the window of the building where Haley and Belkar were holed up in 484), is certain death.

The problem of course, is that if they are patrolling the streets and putting out fires and whatever else, it's also not going to be all that easy to get past them.

pendell
2007-09-21, 10:45 AM
How about this one:

Alternative 1:
Find a straw to use as a breathing tube. Put belkar in the bag of holding but
allow the breathing tube to stick out so that he can breathe. Then toss Roy's body in the bag of holding. Then sneak away from the city.

Wait to receive communication from casters, rendezvous.

Slightly outside the box alternative 2:

Find a high-level goblin cleric in the town who's a pansy fighter. Capture him. IF we've got enough diamonds, force him to raise Roy on pain of Belkar being
turned loose to work his imaginative will on him. Belkar can't kill within a city, true, but I'll wager he can find ways to amuse himself.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Kaelaroth
2007-09-21, 10:58 AM
Change sides?

And why not?

No reason not to.

That's what I'd do. :smallamused:

Kish
2007-09-21, 11:29 AM
Slightly outside the box alternative 2:

Find a high-level goblin cleric in the town who's a pansy fighter. Capture him. IF we've got enough diamonds, force him to raise Roy on pain of Belkar being
turned loose to work his imaginative will on him. Belkar can't kill within a city, true, but I'll wager he can find ways to amuse himself.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
The Mark of Justice prevents Belkar from dealing lethal damage, not just from killing. And if Haley condoned torture, she wouldn't still be Chaotic Good when she rejoined the rest of the group.

Bayar
2007-09-21, 11:46 AM
Maybe Haley and Belkar can use Roy's body as a flotation device, since corpses generally float....right? That is IF they get to the docks

yoshi927
2007-09-21, 01:35 PM
Well, to plan I'd first assess the resources.

Haley has a bow and three arrows, and the not-a-booty talisman and Roy's greatsword.

Belkar has his knives, but he can't do anything with the Mark of Justice.

And, they have Roy's corpse.

Belkar is a nonentity here. Worse, actually. He can't carry Roy or fight, so he's just one more opportunity to fail the Hide check.

Roy's corpse is also useless, of course.

So, my recommendation would be to pass off the greatsword and bow to Belkar, and have Haley take a dagger or try to make the bow an improvised quarterstaff. Can Belkar provide a flank with nonlethal damage? If so, Haley has a chance at sneak attacks to make up for the d4 dagger. Other than that, they should sneak down to the docks and try to get their hands on a rowboat or something like that before the hobgoblins burn it all. Of course, that's very risky, and it might be better to wait until nighttime and go for the gates, hoping that the remaining three arrows can take out the sentries. Neither of those plans seems to have a particularly high chance of success, though.

Perhaps the best way to increase their chances would be to loot some scrolls and equipment, but that'd be riskier than heading for the docks. Another method would be the classic pick-off the straggler. Free javelins and short swords everywhere.

Oh, there's one way... if they can make their way to the MiTD and get him to hit them out of the city, that might work.

Green Bean
2007-09-21, 01:35 PM
The Mark of Justice prevents Belkar from dealing lethal damage, not just from killing. And if Haley condoned torture, she wouldn't still be Chaotic Good when she rejoined the rest of the group.

On the other hand, Haley has maxed Bluff.

:haley:- Raise Roy or I will allow Belkar to torture you in the city, which he is perfectly capable of doing because of his total lack of arcane symbols preventing him from doing so. As well, this would totally not change my alignment.

:redcloak:- Despite my high wisdom modifier, I have failed to put ranks in Sense Motive. Please don't hurt me.

shakes019
2007-09-21, 01:59 PM
Awareness of the Cloister spell notwithstanding, I would expect Haley and Belkar to want to get out of the city limits ASAP. They're in too much danger of the hobbos finding them within it, and Belkar is a liability there. (Granted, Belkar is a liability anywhere.)

Once out of the city, they can find a place to hide that is near the coast on the assumption that Durkon will send a boat for them.

On the subject of the MoJ, I would start min-maxing the effects of the Mark. According to my reading of the description, it works fairly slowly, so it might be possible to set it off by bagging Roy's corpse, then [hopefully] resetting it by unbagging it. This way, they should be able to move faster. Of course doing that assumes a significant risk, in that if my assessment is incorrect, Belkar could be incapacitated or killed by the Mark before they get clear.

If Belkar were killed, OTOH, then Haley could put them both in the bag of holding without issue.

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-09-21, 02:32 PM
The fact that he is being moved means his current location is unimportant. It will change to nearer Haley.

And the demands of plot demand that O-Chul get rescued. Maybe after another dozen false starts, and maybe entirely by accident, but still rescued. His being on-stage all this time just calls for his successful escape. So that means he gets moved to where he can be rescued. Since Haley is not going to move until dawn at least, that means O-Chul gets moved to her.

Just what will happen then is not so definite. But Haley will spot O-Chul and make a rescue attempt. Maybe several, depending on how much the writer wants to milk it. Lich and Redcloak will make appearances, before/after/during the rescue, and will likely just get in each other's way in terms of noticing or doing anything about Haley. Eventually Haley ends up with the paladin, tho we can't rule out rescue by accident.

Maybe, maybe not. Tsukiko was sure she could create an uber-powerful undead, but changed her mind when she saw how badly mangled Miko was. (Let's not go into whether or not Miko is Perma-dead or just Temp-dead. :smallbiggrin: ) O-Chul might be a candidate, if the combined strengths of Xykon, Tsukiko and Redcloak can over come O-Chul's resistance.

Any idea what spell or combination of spells might do the trick?

Kurald Galain
2007-09-21, 03:37 PM
I was surprised to learn that Haley does indeed know what the talisman is. That smells like clever plot planning by our favorite comic writer.

the mysterian
2007-09-21, 06:58 PM
Can't. MoJ.

that only applies to people, and goblins aren't people, they are cannon-fodder, the gods dictate it to be so. so in summary HAPPY SLAUGHTER TIME!

newcresty
2007-09-21, 07:38 PM
Also, i think the only reason O-Chul hasn't died yet is because:

:redcloak: :"Now where im going to find someone who know how the other gates are protected?!?"

I really like O-Chul, i think of him as my favourite paladin on the SG, but thats what im thinking

NikkTheTrick
2007-09-21, 08:40 PM
What would you do if you were in Haley and Belkar's position? Nothing too far outside the box please.
I have an idea, but saying it here will require everyone here to soak their brain in acid.

On a more serious note, they should alanyze their priorities:
1. They must not get caught. They are surrounded by far more hobos than they can handle. If they encounter Redcloak and Xylon, they are doomed.
2. They need to keep posession of Roy's body. For Belkar to survive.
3. They need to at least come in contact with Durkon (and V, but they don't know). This hinges on what the effects of the Cloister spell are.

that only applies to people, and goblins aren't people, they are cannon-fodder, the gods dictate it to be so. so in summary HAPPY SLAUGHTER TIME!
433 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0433.html)

Hobgoblins are still living creatures and Belkar had to avoid killing them.

David Argall
2007-09-21, 10:17 PM
[spoiler] Maybe, maybe not. Tsukiko was sure she could create an uber-powerful undead, but changed her mind when she saw how badly mangled Miko was. O-Chul might be a candidate,

Not impossible, but we have at least two reasons to think not.
The Tsukiko frames are often read as a message to these boards that no, no such super-undead will be created.
The very fact of having him survive this long seems to call for him to be rescued somehow.

Also, i think the only reason O-Chul hasn't died yet is because:

:"Now where im going to find someone who know how the other gates are protected?!?"

This about guarantees Redcloak will be involved with O-Chul, but O-Chul doesn't know much. However, it does not guarantee O-Chul death. There will be some reason to leave him alive, and be rescued. Maybe MitD will insist that Mr. Stiffy not be hurt and Redcloak decides being a statue is a good torture.