PDA

View Full Version : Index Popular "Archetypes", and builds that fit them.

SangoProduction
2018-10-30, 06:35 PM
We do quite occasionally find a couple threads popping up time and again, to ask for help in finding "cowboy" or "ninja" or "samurai" (and so on) classes. It is quick to be noted that, for the latter 2, there are classes with that name...which is almost immediately pointed out that those aren't actually any good in 3.5. In fact, the Fighter class almost perfectly mirrors everything the Samurai can do. Which is sad, considering 3.5's fighter.

So, I wanted to make this MEGATHREAD where I compile a list of these "archetypes", and the various builds proposed for accomplishing the fantasy of said archetypes, if with a bit of refluffing. This is intended for both Pathfinder and 3.5. Homebrew/3rd party is allowed, but will be made explicit when used.

This list is currently empty, but I will gladly add a link with a brief summary of said build, and the fantasy aspects it's trying to incorporate, for any that I find, or are brought up in the comments..

The Elementalist (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/elementalist) 3rd party class fulfils this fantasy quite well (though you'd need to learn Spheres of Power), as does Paizo's Kineticist (http://aonprd.com/ClassDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Kineticist), although...that is popularly derided for just being bad.

The Barsader (by ExLibrisMortis) (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=23300058&postcount=13), a party-buffing melee type, with a focus on Inspire Courage and Dragonfire Inspiration.
[/SPOILER]

PH

ph

PH

PH

PH

PH

ExLibrisMortis
2018-10-30, 06:45 PM
Don't know what archetype you would specifically put the first build under, but I like to think the second build in my signature (the RKV) is a really good interpretation of the "commander" archetype. It's got Inspire Courage, White Raven maneuvers, and even a white raven companion! But it does use some variant rules. Is that a problem?

SangoProduction
2018-10-30, 06:53 PM
Don't know what archetype you would specifically put the first build under, but I like to think the second build in my signature (the RKV) is a really good interpretation of the "commander" archetype. It's got Inspire Courage, White Raven maneuvers, and even a white raven companion! But it does use some variant rules. Is that a problem?

Yeah. Just mark the variant rules being used. I'll add the "Commander archetype to the list.
EDIT: didn't see that you said you already had the link in your signature. I'll add it in then.

tstewt1921
2018-10-30, 07:37 PM
I don't have one built but would like to know if there is a true geomancer style, or like a bender style, one that uses the elements around him versus creating stuff out of no where.

SangoProduction
2018-10-31, 03:08 AM
I don't have one built but would like to know if there is a true geomancer style, or like a bender style, one that uses the elements around him versus creating stuff out of no where.

OK. I'll add that in, and link to Spheres of Power.

weckar
2018-10-31, 03:27 AM
I do not believe throwing all of the PF, 3.5 and other stuff together like this will be of much help to most people. Seperate threads seems cleaner.

OgresAreCute
2018-10-31, 03:41 AM
I do not believe throwing all of the PF, 3.5 and other stuff together like this will be of much help to most people. Seperate threads seems cleaner.

I agree with sorting, but I think separate (and clearly labeled) spoilers would be better than making separate threads. So at least one spoiler each for 3.5 and PF, perhaps separate spoilers for 3rd party content or things like that.

Kurald Galain
2018-10-31, 03:48 AM
PF has standard builds for e.g. Indiana Jones (archaeologist bard archetype), Gambit (card caster Magus), Rose from Street Fighter (kapenia dancer Magus) and a few other well-known characters.

A surprisingly good fit for an element bender is simply a draconic bloodline sorcerer. Throwing around scorching rays for 18d6+18 tends to do that :smallbiggrin:

SangoProduction
2018-10-31, 03:51 AM
I agree with sorting, but I think separate (and clearly labeled) spoilers would be better than making separate threads. So at least one spoiler each for 3.5 and PF, perhaps separate spoilers for 3rd party content or things like that.

OK. Done. Getting a bit cumbersome at 3 spoilers deep, but shouldn't be too bad.

SangoProduction
2018-10-31, 03:54 AM
PF has standard builds for e.g. Indiana Jones (archaeologist bard archetype), Gambit (card caster Magus), Rose from Street Fighter (kapenia dancer Magus) and a few other well-known characters.

A surprisingly good fit for an element bender is simply a draconic bloodline sorcerer. Throwing around scorching rays for 18d6+18 tends to do that :smallbiggrin:

Kinda of looking for "archetypes", more then specific characters. The Gunslinger, rather than the Ben Thompson.
I'll add in archeologist though, because IJ is kinda an archetype in his own right. I am not convinced that the archaeologist archetype is actually very well encompassing of an Indian Jones style character. In much the same way the Samurai class isn't really, despite having a similar name.

OgresAreCute
2018-10-31, 03:58 AM
OK. Done. Getting a bit cumbersome at 3 spoilers deep, but shouldn't be too bad.

My thinking was more like this:

Bob

Guy

Bob

Guy

This way you don't have 3 nested spoilers. Also, selecting edition first makes sense from the perspective of someone who looks up stuff on lists often. Having 3.5 and PF builds listed right next to each other within the archetype makes less sense to me than selecting in this order:

Edition I'm playing -> Archetype/Role -> Specific Build

SangoProduction
2018-10-31, 04:03 AM
My thinking was more like this:

Bob

Guy

Bob

Guy

This way you don't have 3 nested spoilers. Also, selecting edition first makes sense from the perspective of someone who looks up stuff on lists often. Having 3.5 and PF builds listed right next to each other within the archetype makes less sense to me than selecting in this order:

Edition I'm playing -> Archetype/Role -> Specific Build

Well, I wanted the archetype to be what you're looking at first, and I don't really want to maintain 2 lists of the same archetypes.
I'll consider the change when I wake up.

OgresAreCute
2018-10-31, 04:17 AM
Well, I wanted the archetype to be what you're looking at first, and I don't really want to maintain 2 lists of the same archetypes.
I'll consider the change when I wake up.

Do what you want, it was just a suggestion. Messing with spoilers seems like a hassle so don't feel like you have to rework your setup for my sake.

weckar
2018-10-31, 08:27 AM
I mean, would most people not want to pick their game first? I feel overall that would be fewer clicks if you wanted to look at multiple archetyps for the same game.

stack
2018-10-31, 11:20 AM
Chef: PF 3pp SoM Blacksmith (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/blacksmith)(iron chef (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/iron-chef)). You cook to give buffs.

Commander: PF 3pp SoM Commander (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/commander) (orders allies around, has connections to get things done out of combat, capable of fighting)

Samurai: (sword/bow/unarmed samurai) - PF 3pp SoM Armiger (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/armiger) with bushido training talent, duelist sphere for draw cut stuff. Can easy switch hit, capable of using a bow, blade, or unarmed (boxing or wrestling depending if you want a striking style or judo).