PDA

View Full Version : TV Chilling Adventures of Sabrina

Psyren
2018-10-31, 10:21 AM
Didn't see a thread for this so thought I'd start one. Just finished the first season, what do folks think?

Overall I thought it was okay. My initial spoiler-free impressions:

1) The shock value seemed a bit overdone, what with the gore and the constant Satan name-dropping.
2) Riverdale was mentioned several times, so I'm expecting a crossover at some point.
3) Michelle Gomez ("Missy" for the Doctor Who fans) continues to be the best.
4) I found the ending vaguely disappointing but looking forward to more, similar to my reaction to Disenchantment.

(I've noticed these fantasy shows lately seem to spend 80% of their season on worldbuilding, then with a couple of episodes left go "crap, we need more plot!" and quickly rush out a twist and climax.)

See opening question.

Anymage
2018-10-31, 02:43 PM
I wonder how many crossovers they'll have with Riverdale. They're both WB productions and they're both under the umbrella of Archie Comics, but when one is a pure Netflix show while the other is on CW, some studio mucks are bound to give resistance. Plus, of course, how Riverdale is an ongoing weekly while Sabrina has been offered in one streamable lump.

Also, since this has been bugging me about Riverdale.
Season two introduced a D&D like game called Swords and Serpents, even if it was just mentioned once as a flimsy excuse for some other plot stuff.

We're now looking at another introduced D&D clone called Gryphons and Gargoyles. Except G&G is basically ripped from Dark Dungeons and other 80's propaganda about D&D, despite most people having seen more recent positive portrayals with things like Stranger Things. And somehow everyone in school, including all the cool kids, starts playing G&G. And that when the main cast is looking for information about it, nobody bothers checking for internet geeks who might explain the whole thing. And that, despite Swords&Serpents being acknowledged as existing, I don't expect any geeks on the writing staff to even acknowledge an edition war between a game that's clearly evil and one that isn't.
Bit of gamer/geek frustration, but given the subject matter it deserves at least an eye roll.

Psyren
2018-10-31, 03:11 PM
I haven't seen any of Riverdale yet so some of the references may have been lost on me. I doubt edition wars will be a thing though, they're barely interesting even in our world :smalltongue:

On that subject though, apparently one character already crossed over (https://www.elitedaily.com/p/does-sabrina-have-a-twin-this-chilling-adventures-of-sabrina-theory-feels-familiar-13028210) between series. (A minor one, but still.)

Lord Vukodlak
2018-10-31, 03:20 PM
We already had a Riverdale character show up on Sabrina. Ben which is complicated...

While one show is on CW and the other is Netflix, both shows have the same executive producer. A full crossover could happen by simply holding SX of Sabrina until the time The Riverdale connected episode airs.

1) The shock value seemed a bit overdone, what with the constant Satan name-dropping.
You should see the comic... or not makes the series tame

2) Riverdale was mentioned several times, so I'm expecting a crossover at some point.

At one point during the development of S1 of Riverdale they considered moving into a horror genre and Sabrina would be S2's antagonists but that idea was scrapped.

No brains
2018-10-31, 05:11 PM
Wake me up when they do a full Archie vs. Predator scenario.

The Glyphstone
2018-10-31, 05:20 PM
Why stop there? If Riverdale and Sabrina are in one universe, and Sabrina is on Netflix, we could have Archie Meets The Punisher in canon.

Lord Vukodlak
2018-10-31, 07:21 PM
Why stop there? If Riverdale and Sabrina are in one universe, and Sabrina is on Netflix, we could have Archie Meets The Punisher in canon.

That comic does exist.

The Glyphstone
2018-10-31, 09:16 PM
I know, thats why I want to see it in live action. Its not even that crazy with the grimdark version of Archie we have now.

Olinser
2018-10-31, 09:38 PM
I started watching it, and it kind of got progressively more ridiculous as time went on, and I finished watching an episode about 2/3 of the way through and just... didn't bother going back.

I think my reaction can be summed up with 'Eight Deadly Words'.

Namely - "I don't care what happens to these people".

There's just nothing compelling about any of the characters, I just didn't care what happened to any of them. The school friends in particular are bad stereotypes, not actual characters (seriously about 4 episodes in I literally started fast forwarding through every scene that included Bad Transgender Stereotype and missed nothing), the actors playing Harvey and Sabrina have absolutely ZERO chemistry, Sabrina is an incompetent moron that refuses to actually do anything to actually learn magic despite a goal that REQUIRES incredible magic, Zelda is evil and really stupid about it, and Hilda is barely a character.

Sabrina in particular. In the Sabrina The Teenage Witch she just wanted to go to normal school and sometimes tried to use magic to help her friends, where it usually backfired because she didn't bother to actually learn how to perform magic properly or think through the possible consequences. But that was fine because its a comedy and magic is usually part of some zany scheme.

Here she's explicitly trying to outwit and imprison Satan. And she doesn't bother to actually learn how to perform magic properly or think through the possible consequences. Since she has an actual goal, that is believed impossible, and requires EXTREMELY potent magic, her unwillingness to actually consult with trained witches/warlocks to LEARN magic is much more glaring.

And that's apart from the ridiculousness of doing things like effectively removing Salem from the show because you picked a lead actress that's allergic to cats, so they effectively replaced him with Ambrose, the walking gay stereotype.

It started out promising and just completely stagnated, unless I hear of a dramatic improvement I'm definitely not going to continue the series.

The Glyphstone
2018-10-31, 11:54 PM
The allergy thing, at least, was not their fault. The actress didn't know she was allergic to cats until they introduced her to her 'co-star' on the first day of filming, and she broke out in hives.

Olinser
2018-11-01, 04:15 AM
The allergy thing, at least, was not their fault. The actress didn't know she was allergic to cats until they introduced her to her 'co-star' on the first day of filming, and she broke out in hives.

Oh? That's slightly better but still not excuse for just not using a pretty major character with no explanation in-universe. I mean change it to a dog or have him assume human form and have it played by a human - but just only using him a cheap cop-out plot device a couple times in the season and effectively not existing on-camera otherwise is probably the worst solution possible.

Sinewmire
2018-11-01, 05:26 AM
I'm about halfway through it, and enjoying it for it's sheer silliness.

I noticed they'd split Salem into a cat and Ambrose, didn't realise that was why. Couldn't they have CGI'd it, or used the hilariously bad great animatronic from the original series? :smallbiggrin:

The whole thing, with it's wierd 60s-modern aesthetic does seem to borrow mostly from 60s era perception, with the small-town-America witches = baby-murdering satanist portrayal. I haven't got to the G&G episode yet, but it seems pretty sensible, as the setting seems to be tongue-in-cheek devil scare chick tracts.

My favourite episode goes to the nightmares episode, and Richard Coyle as Satan being delighted at Hilda's Vegetable Pie. The scene where we meet Lord Blackwood seems straight out of a chick tract - the high priest seemingly quelling Sabrina's fears with answers the viewer can see right through.

I don't know if they've thought through the uncomfortable ramifications of some of their ideas, like implying trans-genderism is inherited or that neo-pagans are directly worshipping satan. I guess they hope that the audience will recognise the tongue-in-cheek portrayal for what it is... except they also play it utterly straight in some scenes.

Dragonus45
2018-11-01, 08:47 AM
At one point during the development of S1 of Riverdale they considered moving into a horror genre and Sabrina would be S2's antagonists but that idea was scrapped.
That would have almost made Riverdale palatable to watch.

Psyren
2018-11-01, 09:40 AM
So while attempting to keep wide of any real-world religions, here's my take on the Satan thing.

The impression I got of the show's universe (and the direction I'm hoping it's going) is that its portrayal witchcraft doesn't actually need to have all the overtly evil or morally questionable trappings it currently does. We get episodes like the whole Queen of the Feast cannibalism thing, which Sabrina correctly deduces to be outright propaganda, as well as signing babies into the Book of Night without their consent, and the lack of bodily autonomy that witches have. But then we contrast that with all the ways magic seems to be used to do good and the more typical "coven as allegory for women's movement + power of friendship" portrayal that we get from other shows like AHS and Charmed. Sabrina's biological parents (who of course, died under Mysterious Circumstances (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0727.html)) were the radicals trying to undermine these more legacy institutions, right down to their miscegenation upending the status quo.

So when I see all of that, I'm predicting that magic used to be (and in many ways still is) a completely neutral force. I don't just mean actual witchcraft as practiced by the show's main coven, I'm also including the more vague/primal magic used by Sabrina's friends like "The Cunning" and talking to ghosts. I'm further proposing that at some point, dark forces (one specific one, anyway) infiltrated the institutions that use magic in this universe and perverted them away from their original purpose. And this allegory is even more apparent when you consider that a coven, a historically matriarchal body, is being run by a Dark Lord (with an equally male and very chauvinistic "pope"). All the witches running around prostrating themselves before the Dark Lord instead of running the show themselves feels jarring because it's supposed to, it's all wrong.

Sabrina's overarching goal therefore becomes the arc of the entire world they've set up - she wants to get the patriarchy out of there so the witches can govern themselves. She has a personal stake in that (because Harvey and to a lesser extent her other friends) but the more she gets immersed in her "dual-citizenship" she'll continue to be exposed to pretty ridiculous mores from her community - like random cannibalism.

Lord Vukodlak
2018-11-01, 09:36 PM
I'm about halfway through it, and enjoying it for it's sheer silliness.

I noticed they'd split Salem into a cat and Ambrose, didn't realise that was why. Couldn't they have CGI'd it, or used the hilariously bad great animatronic from the original series? :smallbiggrin
Salem couldn’t actually talk at all Until the 90s sitcom. He was also originally orange not black. The series returned Salem to his roots a witches familiar.

I also completely agree on the nightmare episode.

Psyren
2018-11-02, 10:54 AM
The nightmare one was practically filler though, other than getting Sabrina to trust Wardwell more.

Dragonus45
2018-11-02, 09:28 PM
So I went to watch a few episodes to give this a chance since I’m a fan of Archie comics even if Riverdale is a tire fire. I’ll be honest the phrase “Trying to hard” doesn’t even do it justice. 2 edgy 4 me I guess.

Tvtyrant
2018-11-02, 10:35 PM
I know, thats why I want to see it in live action. Its not even that crazy with the grimdark version of Archie we have now.

I have never actually read Archie, and my impression has always been that is was a high school slice of life/rom com. What is the actual genre??

Anymage
2018-11-03, 02:03 AM
I have never actually read Archie, and my impression has always been that is was a high school slice of life/rom com. What is the actual genre??

Comic book writers will often try weird mixups and genre twists, especially in decade long properties where someone will try going against type in noncanon books just to do something different.

I'm not a comic book person myself so I wouldn't know many specifics. But it's a safe bet that any longrunning property will have outlier stories.

Aotrs Commander
2018-11-03, 08:37 AM
I just saw this mentioned in my Radio Times (after seeing the thread title) and learning, yes, this really IS a dark and gritty reboot of a sit-com.

I...

What?

I shudder to think what's next? A Game-of-Thrones-style reboot of Pair of Kings?

I mean, from the sounds of it, some of you find it at least watchable (which is a better reception than some Netflix original series *cough*Rebootguardians*cough*), but I still find myself wondering who asked for this?

Ramza00
2018-11-03, 01:09 PM
I just saw this mentioned in my Radio Times (after seeing the thread title) and learning, yes, this really IS a dark and gritty reboot of a sit-com.

I...

What?

You have to remember that Sabrina has been an Archie character since 1962 and the Movie / Show started in 1996 and it was 34 years after with all these different styles and genres for the character.

For comparison Batman the Adam West series came out in 1966 and the comic book character appeared in 1939 so 27 years earlier. Are all Batman stories Adam West Batman, the answer is no, he is just one of many faces of Batman.

Stories and even genres for the stories are not frozen in time like ice cubes, they are more like rivers that continuously flow and cut new paths into the earth.

----

Also Sabrina The Teenage Witch 1996 had a heavy mixing with the older tv show Bewtiched. This new Sabrina has a heavy mixing with "Lich" so you may like this Aotrs Commander :smallwink::smalltongue:

Aotrs Commander
2018-11-03, 01:29 PM
You have to remember that Sabrina has been an Archie character since 1962 and the Movie / Show started in 1996 and it was 34 years after with all these different styles and genres for the character.

For comparison Batman the Adam West series came out in 1966 and the comic book character appeared in 1939 so 27 years earlier. Are all Batman stories Adam West Batman, the answer is no, he is just one of many faces of Batman.

Stories and even genres for the stories are not frozen in time like ice cubes, they are more like rivers that continuously flow and cut new paths into the earth.

----

Also Sabrina The Teenage Witch 1996 had a heavy mixing with the older tv show Bewtiched. This new Sabrina has a heavy mixing with "Lich" so you may like this Aotrs Commander :smallwink::smalltongue:

Ah. I did not know that, actually.

That DOES make rather more sense.

Othjerwise, the sheer randomness of it was baffling.

Olinser
2018-11-03, 02:01 PM

I...

What?

I shudder to think what's next? A Game-of-Thrones-style reboot of Pair of Kings?

I mean, from the sounds of it, some of you find it at least watchable (which is a better reception than some Netflix original series *cough*Rebootguardians*cough*), but I still find myself wondering who asked for this?

It's actually not a dark and edgy reboot of a sitcom.

It is based on a comic book series called the Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, that was the dark and edgy reboot.

So yes the idea is a reboot, but the comic did the rebooting first and the TV series is just based on the comic.

So in answer to the question 'who asked for this', the answer is 'comic book fans'. And they're just trying to capitalize on relative popularity by expanding it to a Netflix series.

Ramza00
2018-11-04, 01:09 AM
So I am only on the 2nd episode, but I am posting now for I figure real time stuff is better than waiting.

S: Signing my name in the Book of the Beast. / Knowing that, on some level, I...I'm giving up my freedom.
P: You are. / In exchange for power. / An even exchange.
S: But I want both. I want freedom and power.
P: [laughs] / He'll never give you that. / The Dark Lord. / The thought of you, / of any of us, / having both terrifies him.
S: Why is that?
P: He's a man, isn't he?
[owl hoots]

Isn't this the Wife of Bath which in turn is a retelling of Loathly Lady Archetypal Myth? Besides Diarmuid version of the myth isn't answering this riddle in a way that makes the women happy (giving her both and trusting her) is key to being the High King of Ireland? (Note this myth is not just Welsh / Celtic for the Norse had a similar version.)

Is this where the remaining 8 episodes of Sabrina going? Or is it going to take a different path? I am asking this rhetorically, putting this post as a diary piece while I continue watching the tale. It would be disappointing if I figured the story out already. But sometimes the journey can be fun on its own.

Callos_DeTerran
2018-11-04, 03:53 PM
It is based on a comic book series called the Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, that was the dark and edgy reboot.

From my own very faint research, neither this or the comic book series is a dark and edgy reboot. Its a flat out horror-themed version of Sabrina from the same author who apparently found a LOT of a success with Afterlife with Archie which is quite literally about Archie...in the Zombie Apocalypse and is also a horror themed look at Archie.

So not dark and edgy but meant to be a flat out horror version.

Dragonus45
2018-11-04, 04:30 PM
From my own very faint research, neither this or the comic book series is a dark and edgy reboot. Its a flat out horror-themed version of Sabrina from the same author who apparently found a LOT of a success with Afterlife with Archie which is quite literally about Archie...in the Zombie Apocalypse and is also a horror themed look at Archie.

So not dark and edgy but meant to be a flat out horror version.

If we like that’s where this adaptation falls short. Because it really did feel like a darker and edgier reboot compared to the straight horror of the comics.

Rynjin
2018-11-05, 09:41 PM
I enjoyed it well enough, though I never read the comics. Maybe it's a similar issue where everybody who'd never heard of the comic seemed to like the Runaways adaptation.

It's no great art, but I was entertained through most episodes, and always got a chuckle whenever they shouted "Hail Satan!" at random times.

It would always make me flash back to this ProZD Vine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BKivJ89xAE&feature=youtu.be

Sinewmire
2018-11-08, 04:55 AM
It's no great art, but I was entertained through most episodes, and always got a chuckle whenever they shouted "Hail Satan!" at random times.

I liked when they used the prefix "Satanic" when it was completely unnecessary, like, as mentioned earlier, Satanic Choir. It's just a choir. "Let me just pick up my Satanic walking stick and get in my Satanic car."

Divayth Fyr
2018-11-08, 05:50 AM
I liked when they used the prefix "Satanic" when it was completely unnecessary, like, as mentioned earlier, Satanic Choir. It's just a choir. "Let me just pick up my Satanic walking stick and get in my Satanic car."
Reminds of an old joke

-Hey, Robin!
-Yes Batman?
-Let us get inside the Batmobile, drive to the Batcave, go to the Batlab using the Batstairs and do a Batpee together.
-Great idea!

Psyren
2018-11-08, 09:29 AM

Corollary to this were the unnecessary inversions of everything. For example, the judges being "Your Dishonor" or a wedding proposal being "Unholy Matrimony." I'm not sure the extra edginess of it all was worth the clunky dialogue.

zimmerwald1915
2018-11-08, 09:56 AM
Corollary to this were the unnecessary inversions of everything. For example, the judges being "Your Dishonor" or a wedding proposal being "Unholy Matrimony." I'm not sure the extra edginess of it all was worth the clunky dialogue.
Oh that's not edgy, it's carnivalesque.

The Glyphstone
2018-11-08, 10:58 AM
Reminds me of the old Glove of Darth Vader YA books, where the Imperial Moffs would hail each other with 'Dark Greetings'.

Reddish Mage
2018-11-10, 12:46 AM
Except for the chosen expressions used being funny or containing shock value its notable for being incredibly corny. This plays into a lot of other silly elements all over the show. Everything about the witches world is extreme and grosteque in ways that are unusually difficult to take seriously, even considering the genre.

The way the show fails to take itself seriously very often is consistent with the original, and often fits. However, that tone contrast makes it hard to appreciate the much more serious plot elements. This is very pronounced in Sabrina’s friends stories.

Sabrina’s friends each have to deal with their own destinies, and each one is confronted with some inevitable conflict they can’t escape or solve. The friends struggles don’t have any of the absurd qualifies of Sabrina’s witch problems so they seem like we are meant to take them with the utmost seriousness. Also, the friends don’t get the unique benefit of being the central character and thus capable of making everything and everyone else give way to your own desires within the course of an episode. Their challenges are all the more real precisely because every mortal kid on the show is pretty much powerless.

I think this show will continue to struggle with the problem of balancing its serious side with its more irreverent aspects.

Olinser
2018-11-10, 01:28 AM
Except for the chosen expressions used being funny or containing shock value its notable for being incredibly corny. This plays into a lot of other silly elements all over the show. Everything about the witches world is extreme and grosteque in ways that are unusually difficult to take seriously, even considering the genre.

The way the show fails to take itself seriously very often is consistent with the original, and often fits. However, that tone contrast makes it hard to appreciate the much more serious plot elements. This is very pronounced in Sabrina’s friends stories.

Sabrina’s friends each have to deal with their own destinies, and each one is confronted with some inevitable conflict they can’t escape or solve. The friends struggles don’t have any of the absurd qualifies of Sabrina’s witch problems so they seem like we are meant to take them with the utmost seriousness. Also, the friends don’t get the unique benefit of being the central character and thus capable of making everything and everyone else give way to your own desires within the course of an episode. Their challenges are all the more real precisely because every mortal kid on the show is pretty much powerless.

I think this show will continue to struggle with the problem of balancing its serious side with its more irreverent aspects.

Correct, that's my main issue with it.

Sabrina the Teenage Witch messing around with magic she doesn't understand and causing wacky hijinks to happen is fine, its a sitcom that doesn't take itself seriously.

Chilling Sabrina messing around with magic she doesn't understand and causing wacky hijinks to happen is really out of place when she's supposed to be figuring out how to summon and trap Satan so he doesn't claim her soul.

Reddish Mage
2018-11-10, 09:14 AM
Correct, that's my main issue with it.

Sabrina the Teenage Witch messing around with magic she doesn't understand and causing wacky hijinks to happen is fine, its a sitcom that doesn't take itself seriously.

Chilling Sabrina messing around with magic she doesn't understand and causing wacky hijinks to happen is really out of place when she's supposed to be figuring out how to summon and trap Satan so he doesn't claim her soul.

I think you’ve captured the main problem but not in the specific instance of Sabrina’s plot. Sabrina’s A-plot is defined by a lot of the corniness. We get “The Dark Lord” appearing as CGI within the first few episodes and delivering direct messages, and see Sabrina at Witch Court with the help of Daniel Webster. Her digressions along the way include a variant of “The Lottery” with some gratuitous hedonism and a lot of cannabalistic humor thrown in.

The problem is not that the main plot is a mixture of comedy and horror, it’s that the main plot is so filled with comedy-horror that it makes it hard to appreciate it when the mood turns towards serious horror and tradegy. That mood change often involves the side characters.

There are moments when they play Sabrina’s struggles straight too. However, by in large the humor in Sabrina being a half-member of a community of sadistic devil-worshipping witches is by design.

Asmotherion
2018-11-12, 01:27 AM
Watched the whole thing with my wife on Halloween, and I have to say, I'm thrilled.

CAUTION: this does contain spoilers.

A) I'm a big fun of them making the whole setting more Dark and adding some religious context to the whole "Witches".
B) Still, having biblical/esoteric lore figures interact with everyday people (Lilith/Lucifer) is more or less overdone in modern media, and the show would be as great, or even greater without it I believe. I'd rather have had a show all about witches, were the existance of the Divine (and Unholly) is just implied but not proven.
C) The special effects were pretty creative. That said, the whole thing does give you a feel of being under a ton of philters. Not necesserally a bad thing, just easy to observe. Some of the "evening glow" could be missing to give place to a more realistic capture.
D) I don't like how they took away Salem's voice. I know they intergraded part of Salem's personality to be Ambrose, but I would rather have had two ceparate characters. A talking megalomaniac cat who atempted to take over the world? Who takes that away from a show?
E) For romance, I don't buy it. The only believable romance story is Father Blackwood and Zelda. Nick is too much of a good guy to be the Bad Boy, and Harvey too much of a whimp to be a romantic interest. As for Ambrose's love story, 3 dates is way too soon for the "L" word. Hilda's story is fine I suppose... though not really legendary or anything of the sort.
F) Then you have the friends, who both conviniently got superpowers. What a convinient and oh so boring and predictable thing to do. I mean, first you get to empathise with them because of their circumstances, but "the cunning"? Really? And the other got to see ghosts? What was that all about? We all know it's secretly an attempt to get them more involved in the plot in season 2, right?
G) The tone of the black humor was precious. I loved it. Hope more gems like this were made in the modern age. Reminds me a bit "the tales from the crypt". Good times.
H) All criticism aside, I did enjoy the show. A lot. It was well done, and the acting was amazing. I can't wait for season 2.

Ramza00
2018-11-12, 02:14 AM
Watched the whole thing with my wife on Halloween, and I have to say, I'm thrilled.

CAUTION: this does contain spoilers.

A) I'm a big fun of them making the whole setting more Dark and adding some religious context to the whole "Witches".
B) Still, having biblical/esoteric lore figures interact with everyday people (Lilith/Lucifer) is more or less overdone in modern media, and the show would be as great, or even greater without it I believe. I'd rather have had a show all about witches, were the existance of the Divine (and Unholly) is just implied but not proven.
C) The special effects were pretty creative. That said, the whole thing does give you a feel of being under a ton of philters. Not necesserally a bad thing, just easy to observe. Some of the "evening glow" could be missing to give place to a more realistic capture.
D) I don't like how they took away Salem's voice. I know they intergraded part of Salem's personality to be Ambrose, but I would rather have had two ceparate characters. A talking megalomaniac cat who atempted to take over the world? Who takes that away from a show?
E) For romance, I don't buy it. The only believable romance story is Father Blackwood and Zelda. Nick is too much of a good guy to be the Bad Boy, and Harvey too much of a whimp to be a romantic interest. As for Ambrose's love story, 3 dates is way too soon for the "L" word. Hilda's story is fine I suppose... though not really legendary or anything of the sort.
F) Then you have the friends, who both conviniently got superpowers. What a convinient and oh so boring and predictable thing to do. I mean, first you get to empathise with them because of their circumstances, but "the cunning"? Really? And the other got to see ghosts? What was that all about? We all know it's secretly an attempt to get them more involved in the plot in season 2, right?
G) The tone of the black humor was precious. I loved it. Hope more gems like this were made in the modern age. Reminds me a bit "the tales from the crypt". Good times.
H) All criticism aside, I did enjoy the show. A lot. It was well done, and the acting was amazing. I can't wait for season 2.

Responding to Point #E

At the end of episode 6 we see Hilda at her new job at the bookshop / coffee shop and Luke / Lucas Chalfant ordered a coffee. Hilda then adds to the latte with an eyedropper and a potion labeled Amor. Amor is the Latin word for Love and it was one of the two Latin names for the God Cupid (Cupid is the Latin name for desire, Eros is the Greek word for desire and thus Eros is the Greek version of Cupid...except both Cupid and Eros have a complicated and contradictory mythology with writers not always consistent with his origins, plus he is one of many winged loved gods called the Erotes for we know of at least 6 others.). Also besides Amor being the latin word for love we have a half a dozen romantic languages having variants of thi s word in their language such as Amore in Italian, Amour in French, Corsican Amori / Amore, Sicilian Amuri, so on, and so on.

So since we don't know how this love potion works we don't know how much of Lukes effects are the potion and how much is Luke (he never called Ambroise back per the same episode a few minutes earlier.). Is this potion an infatuation potion, is it one that enhances already having feelings, is it one that triggers obsession, so on and so on. We don't know what is happening with Luke much like we don't know what is happened with Lukes ex boyfriend the now deceased Connor.

Sidenote what is the rules with the Cain pit? Why didn't the Spellmans used it on Connor once they discovered he had a witches mark? Is a property of the Cain pit that only siblings can kill and revive their siblings without ill effects or something? I want to know more about the rules for right now the rules just seem confusing.

LaserNuts
2018-11-14, 03:13 PM
If you haven't watched it yet, I suggest doing so. Its future seems tenuous at best. The Satanic Temple (a real life Satanist church) is suing the show makers because they copied the likeness of their trademarked Baphomet statue for the show without permission. I kid you not.

Edit: Here's a side by side comparison. The real Baphomet statue is on the top and the Sabrina version is on the bottom.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dqy0o7QXgAEhdan.jpg:large