PDA

View Full Version : [Starfinder] The Executive, a corporate divine spellcaster

Giegue
2018-10-31, 05:56 PM
https://thoughtraid.files.wordpress.com/2016/04/joker-game.png?w=825

"Remember the golden rule: the one with the credits makes the rules."- Momo Nyatori, Mau Exective

Of all the powers in the universe, none is more far reaching and influential than the almighty credit. In both the highest echelons of power and lowliest slums, all intelligent creatures kneel at the altar of money. While the gods may give people something to live for, credits allow them to live in the first place. Thus, it is no surprise that much like the deities, the power that is the credit has its own churches, known to the larger universe as megacorporations. While the Megacorps are far from spiritual, their resources and influence are so great that the power they command is nothing short of godlike. Through their vast wealth they can seize control of planets, enslave and uplift entire species, and even plunge whole systems into poverty or raise them to prosperity. While such companies may not be literal Gods, their power certainly rivals them, and where there are Gods, Mystics are quick to follow.

Unlike the traditional Mystic, the Executive does not gain their magic from a connection to a deity or cosmic force. Instead, it comes from a very specific source: their megacorp and the mystic energy to which they have access. Through a special implant known as a cyberlink, an Executive can download spells encoded in their company’s databases and cast them through sheer force of personality. This potent blend of technology and magic has thus given these influential corporate oligarchs the ability to use magic without the rigorous study needed to become a Technomancer or deep connection to a higher power needed to be a Mystic.

However, while anybody with a cyberlink can theoretically gain such power, the ability to alter reality with a quick incantation and flick of the wrist is not something Megacorps give out lightly. Thus, not every corporate executive is a spellcasting Executive of the kind this class represents. Indeed, the vast bulk of corporate executives are often envoys; the powers of the Executive class are reserved for only majority shareholders, and the most high ranking, influential, and loyal megacorp execs. Thus, the vast bulk of executives are just what their name entails; the absolute highest ranking megacorp executives, majority shareholders, or as-is the case for most low-level Executives their children or protégés. However, in rare cases other individuals, such as corporate spies, field commanders and elite agents, are also given access to cyberlink technology as a part of the process of being groomed for a leadership role in the company.

Executive Class Document (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ocimqo1CnwZPpIyNNNNkpQS5kWdDHcyE2cHDeicYRxk/edit?usp=sharing)

This class, while largely complete, is still an unfinished product. Thus, as it stands, some abilities may be too overpowered. That being said, I would appreciate any and all balance help with the class, as it does many experimental things not yet done in default SF, such as prepared vancian casting. Also, note that this is entirely for my own campaign setting...so if you don't like the idea of divine magic coming from strong belief in something and passion/force of conviction rather than being directly granted by deities, I totally understand. Just something I needed for my own world, so I decided to make it myself!

Either way, any suggestions/comments/feeback is still more than welcome!

BONUS: NEW RACE- MAU

https://sm1.narvii.com/6691/f5054bb423dd774cf3bb58fa0f73bf38055751a0_00.jpg

The foremost business oligarchs of Corporate Space, the common saying “all credits belong to a Mau somewhere” could not ring more true. Cunning, ruthless and obsessed with material excess, the Mau have placed themselves as the owners of a massive network of megacorps that hold sway over multiple universes. Through their murder and re-construction of the Gods into AI “Kami”, the Mau uplifted themselves and plunged their universe into and dichotomous age of horrific inequality and newfound freedom from the yoke of cosmic alignments and the Gods’ order. To keep their privileged position, the Mau have sacrificed what they once were, abandoning the natural world and altering their very nature with vile technology. This has allowed the Mau to live indefinitely in a constant state of physical perfection, a fact they use to keep their numbers small by artificially growing young only when a Mau is killed and needs to be replaced. With such small numbers, the Mau have been able to assure none of their kind know anything other than luxury, a trait that makes other races resent them.

While Mau love learning new things, they hate drudge work that keeps them from pursuing their interests, and as a result often outsource the daily administration of the megacorps and infrastructure they own to CEOs and other top level managers they hire, as well as their AI servitors known as Figments. Thus, Mau have a reputation for being “fat cats” that simply lounge around and do as they please, reaping obscene profits without ever working themselves. While this assumption is partly correct, the truth is many Mau use the free time their privilege affords them to pursue personal interests with the same passion and dedication other races pour into their work. Thus, many Mau are among the most talented scholars, scientists, artists and technicians in Corporate Space, as their dedication to their personal interests combined with the ample free time their privilege affords them allows Mau to quickly develop their talents and excel at that which they enjoy.

Mau Race Document (https://docs.google.com/document/d/11kVx2TPMuFDgbJZPZIDbY7syTmA7Md-Y8_-UGN9ktlk/edit?usp=sharing)

khadgar567
2018-11-01, 12:32 AM
looks more solid this time as hybrid between envoy and technomancer has solid flavor. forced profession corporate executive kinda makes this class bit stuck i mean look to tripple H from WWE dude is technically corporate executive but if you gave him slight excuse to lace his boots to wrestle and guy asks what skull i need to pedigree this time. well another good excuse would be lex luthor him self as evil executive who have no f ing qualms to put power suit and duke out for the rights for the agreement hell dude just changes to tux just to strike a deal with darkseid of all aliens.

Giegue
2018-11-01, 05:56 AM
I do see your point. However, if I gave it back medium BAB and Weapon Specialization instead of Spell Focus , I fear the class may be too OP. Thoughts on this would be most appreciated. As for the skills, I can easily swap Corporate Authority to working off, day, Diplomacy, which I think I will do right now.

khadgar567
2018-11-01, 09:12 AM
I do see your point. However, if I gave it back medium BAB and Weapon Specialization instead of Spell Focus , I fear the class may be too OP. Thoughts on this would be most appreciated. As for the skills, I can easily swap Corporate Authority to working off, day, Diplomacy, which I think I will do right now.
This is the second iteration of executive class and old one focused on being hybrid between envoy and cleric boosting and healing the team mates but gaining the spells from corporate database which was my comment on hybrid between envoy and technomancer come from. It needed special kinda mental gymnastics to understand and unlike this iteration old one was headache to rationalize. As for cutting or limiting the profession corporate executive checks it up to you to decide. the whole tripple H ( profession wrestler acting as executive) or lex luthor ( honest day by day executive who wears highest tech armor to fight for his companies intrest) refferences i made to show you can be executive and be in the corporate ladder or be int he top and uses it.

Giegue
2018-11-01, 09:38 AM
Yeah, I made the checks optional now; they can work off your choice; based on what kind of Exec you want to be. They can run off Diplomacy (smooth-talking and subtly manipulative Exec, think somebody like Wilford from Snowpiercer), Intimidate (ruthless Exec who leads through fear; think somebody like Seto Kaiba from Yugioh), or Profession (Corporate Professional) (Somebody who controls people by citing corporate bylaws and regulations, or somebody in the hierarchy rather than a shareholder, CEO or Shareholder/CEO’s kid)

khadgar567
2018-11-01, 10:00 AM
I really don't mean this in a mean way, but I can't glean anything coherent from your posts....
whats the part you dont understand? its maybe not coherent enough but i like the new version of the class so i suggest my options to improve it.

Giegue
2018-11-01, 10:28 AM
But yeah if you didn’t see before what are your thoughts on giving the class medium BAB and Weapon Specalization instead of Spell Focus? Would making the class an ok shooter on top of the other things it can do be too OP?

khadgar567
2018-11-01, 10:37 AM
But yeah if you didn’t see before what are your thoughts on giving the class medium BAB and Weapon Specalization instead of Spell Focus? Would making the class an ok shooter on top of the other things it can do be too OP?
both can be okay for me as this class kinda fills the itch that i dont completely aware how about sub paths like one focuses on the field support while other one focuses on the corporate espionage(were weapon spec and other stuff goes) while another one focuses different concept. currently you kinda got nice chassis on the class and its ready to expend with nice options

Giegue
2018-11-01, 10:51 AM
Yeah, I also wanted it to be a viable Necromancer and Summoner, though those could become Specializations too I suppose. I think I want all of them to keep the supportive features at 1st and 10th though, so I think that I will make the Specalizations come in at 3rd when the talents come in normally and give both a feature that boosts their Focus area (so a Summoning feature for the Summoner, Necromancy one for the Necromancer etc...) and one that builds upon their combat manager feature (such as one for the Summoning archetype that adds business expertise dice to the damage dealt by free attacks you give summons, one for the Necro one that gives business expertise dice to damage dealt by free attacks given to undead pets, or free attacks given to allies which are made against undead etc...). Then most of the other features can be taken from among the talents I have already. Thanks for the suggestions!

khadgar567
2018-11-01, 12:03 PM
Yeah, I also wanted it to be a viable Necromancer and Summoner, though those could become Specializations too I suppose. I think I want all of them to keep the supportive features at 1st and 10th though, so I think that I will make the Specalizations come in at 3rd when the talents come in normally and give both a feature that boosts their Focus area (so a Summoning feature for the Summoner, Necromancy one for the Necromancer etc...) and one that builds upon their combat manager feature (such as one for the Summoning archetype that adds business expertise dice to the damage dealt by free attacks you give summons, one for the Necro one that gives business expertise dice to damage dealt by free attacks given to undead pets, or free attacks given to allies which are made against undead etc...). Then most of the other features can be taken from among the talents have already. Thanks for the suggestions!
I think dropping this to 5 distinct sup specializations are actuary what you want as we still have the heal bot function in the talents but with summons and necromancy in the same basket it kinda makes class to option heavy in good way if we have something like corporate specialty in 1st or second level were we can choose what type of executive we want to play like getting few toys from operative since we like to back mail our specialty or minion management road which we boost our team to get the Intel or i dont know kill the target and turn them to bunraku flesh puppets or the sick needs( definety necro based spec goes here)

Giegue
2018-11-01, 04:23 PM
I took your suggestion and made the specializations and altered the talents accordingly, so you should take a look. I have no idea how balanced they are, though, so any and all balance advice would be most appreciated!

lightningcat
2018-11-03, 09:27 PM
I have not had the personal time or the gaming group to dig into Starfinder much, but I do have a few thoughts. This feels like it is based on the Bard niche, although a very different feel (which I like). But PF Bards are secondary casters, while Starfinder doesn't have primary casters at all, only secondary casters. But so far, all of the SF classes seem to have either full (secondary) casting or no casting. So the Executive feels like it has too much spellcasting ability, but there is not a lesser casting option predefined in Starfinder.
Sorry, I don't have any actual feedback, but my only idea would be to step down the magic by one degree, but there is not currently any other classes with that level of spellcasting. That said I really like the class concept.

Giegue
2018-11-04, 10:07 AM
Thats not needed in my eyes, because in starfinder everybody has bardic casting. Even the "fullcasters" cap out at 6th level spells and bard level spells/day, which is where the class should be in my eyes. capping it out at 4th level spells like a PF Paladin is not really in-line with what the class is trying to do mechanically and thematically. That being said, I am having some friends on discord playtest the thing via making NPC executives to pit against their players, so if the class proves too overwhelmingly powerful I can scale back the features accordingly; as-if anything needs scaling back, I'd rather scale back the class features than the casting.