PDA

View Full Version : Want To Get Published?

Fax Celestis
2007-09-18, 07:09 PM
I am currently in the process of putting together a publication company for d20 products, but I am in dire need of developers. If you think you have what it takes, drop me an email ([email protected]) with a few examples of your work--don't worry, they're still yours--and any information you find relevant (such as schooling, publication history, etc.).

Thanks, guys.

Shas aia Toriia
2007-09-18, 08:01 PM
You're a publisher? Wow.

I'm not good enough for sure, but if what I've seen of your work is any indication, Hasbro should begging for your material! :smallcool:

But regardless, try and get the rights to use The Logic Ninja's Guide!

Neftren
2007-09-18, 08:03 PM
Ooh! Ooh! Sounds COOL! Check my Sig for my Base Class that I'm working on right now. I'm also considering a companion class for it that's a spellcaster.

TSGames
2007-09-18, 08:05 PM
I'm not a developer, but if you need anything broken, if you need wording exploited, or you just need to see anything taken to ridiculous extremes, I'm here.

Fax Celestis
2007-09-18, 08:18 PM
I'm not a developer, but if you need anything broken, if you need wording exploited, or you just need to see anything taken to ridiculous extremes, I'm here.

Playtesters/Quality Assurance people are always welcome.

Eldritch_Ent
2007-09-18, 08:20 PM
I'd love to playtest as well. I know a few things, but am mostly a nebie, so I guess I can give you feedback on how a casual player would see it. :P

I'd offer content, but my stuff is really hit or miss. Not up to par yet on Homebrewing...

EndgamerAzari
2007-09-18, 08:22 PM
While I am hesitant, I am also an English major, and I cannot pass up the urge to write something. If it is ever so desired, I could do proofreading, editing, or perhaps flavor text--gratis, of course. I'm total suck when it comes to mechanics, though.

JackMage666
I just sent you an e-mail with some of my work, but I forgot to add in that I'd also do Playtesting or things like that if you needed it.

Timarvay
Age limits?

And, more to the point, what are you after?

Speaking as a below-18 who is more curious than anything about the quality of the stuff he designs.

Fax Celestis
2007-09-18, 08:29 PM
Age limits?

And, more to the point, what are you after?

Speaking as a below-18 who is more curious than anything about the quality of the stuff he designs.

Unfortunately, I'd have to say that I've got to stick to law when it comes to age. 18 or older.

As for what I'm after?

The main format I was looking to go for was Adventure with Associated Mechanics, akin mostly to the Expedition books that WotC has put out recently. Perhaps like Pathfinder, too, but that may be incorrect as I haven't actually seen a Pathfinder yet.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-09-18, 08:36 PM
Unfortunately, I'd have to say that I've got to stick to law when it comes to age. 18 or older.

As for what I'm after?

The main format I was looking to go for was Adventure with Associated Mechanics, akin mostly to the Expedition books that WotC has put out recently. Perhaps like Pathfinder, too, but that may be incorrect as I haven't actually seen a Pathfinder yet.

Hm. I don't have any of that kind of thing at the moment. I'll get to work on something post-haste, though.

Rama_Lei
2007-09-18, 08:37 PM
Get the VT. Fax + VT + Homebrewing OTP

Behold_the_Void
2007-09-18, 08:41 PM
Interesting stuff. I've sent you an email, my signature has other things that might be considered "credentials", although it's probably not as much as some other applicants.

Indon
2007-09-18, 08:45 PM
Are you looking primarily for mechanics writers, or fluff writers?

Fax Celestis
2007-09-18, 08:47 PM
Are you looking primarily for mechanics writers, or fluff writers?

Both, actually. As you can sometimes see from my own homebrew, I occasionally have trouble coming up with a decent description to go with the mechanics.

Trust me, there's room for both, especially with the format I'm shooting for.

StickMan
2007-09-18, 08:58 PM
Oh this little part of me got all excited when I saw this post as my most active pipe dream/fantasy is to one day get published. Then I remembered that every thing I've ever made was for DND and the only thing I've written for that, that is in type, is my gestalt campaign setting that is only about 30 pages.

So until I write a great deal more and a little outside of DND stuff, if you need a play tester/product reviewer type guy who works for free I'm your guy. This is also assuming of course I get this info sent over the net and don't have to move in which case I don't work for free:smallwink: .

Stickman

Indon
2007-09-18, 09:01 PM
That leads me to another question: Should the sample be D&D-related?

Emperor Tippy
2007-09-18, 09:01 PM
Good luck Fax, let me know if you want anything broken, especially involving magic.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-09-18, 09:02 PM
Need anyone to help with the company website?

Fax Celestis
2007-09-18, 09:05 PM
That leads me to another question: Should the sample be D&D-related?

Probably, or at least d20 related.

Need anyone to help with the company website?

I may. SweetRein is currently doing what she can, but she's working pro bono at the moment and I haven't really given any direction, so... :smalltongue:

Indon
2007-09-18, 09:13 PM

And, one more thing:

Is this essentially a module? I don't think I've used any of these 'adventure with associated mechanics'.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-09-18, 09:22 PM
I may. SweetRein is currently doing what she can, but she's working pro bono at the moment and I haven't really given any direction, so... :smalltongue:
Okay. I'd like to see what she's got sometime.

If you need any more help, feel free to ask. My Inbox is always open.

(And I'm not above doing a bit o' pro bono work, either.)

Bassetking
2007-09-18, 09:24 PM
Fax, my inbox is always open as well. I'll gladly PEACH anything you ask me to, and, well, there are few individuals on this board who can stress-test material better than I.

TheOOB
2007-09-18, 09:29 PM
If you need any help, you can always look me up. I make lots of homebrewed material (most of which never makes it on the site), and I would love a chance to get published. I've never made a full adventure, but I have a group of people already working with me on making some (we where thinking of submitting to green ronin, but we're still looking at the field.)

I'm not the best at creating initial concepts, but if someone gives me some direction (a theme for a dungeon, a class concept, ect) I can usually pull off the mechanics and flavor quite well.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-09-18, 09:36 PM
I'm not the best at creating initial concepts, but if someone gives me some direction (a theme for a dungeon, a class concept, ect) I can usually pull off the mechanics and flavor quite well.
Goes pretty much the same for me. :smallcool:

Shiny, Bearer of the Pokystick
2007-09-18, 09:37 PM
I...I don't even need to state that I'm in on this, do I?

I mean, I will. I'm in on this like all heck.

But still.

Indon
2007-09-18, 09:38 PM

Heh.

Personally, I'm awesome at creating initial concepts, but generally too lazy to throughly flesh out the thing, and my DMming style is too heavy on improv, I guess, for me to need to.

Matthew
2007-09-18, 09:44 PM
Hey, well done on getting the ball rolling, Fax. Is this going to be a bit like EN World's War of the Burning Sky or are you going for stand alone Adventures?

Fax Celestis
2007-09-18, 09:54 PM
Hey, well done on getting the ball rolling, Fax. Is this going to be a bit like EN World's War of the Burning Sky or are you going for stand alone Adventures?
Stand-alones, actually, though perhaps with the potential to interlink them if you so choose.

Also, here's an idea.

The first concept I was planning on pursuing conceptually was the Ten Thousand Days arc. There's a lot there, but admittedly there's some gaps. The crew could stand to be altered somewhat and fleshed out; Rellestair in the brig has no stats or personal story; the Corsair and Privateer classes, while functional, are a bit rusty; the treasure hold is scarcely populated.

Give me what you'd do to it to make it better, and I'll judge off of that. Those of you who have sent me emails already don't have to do this if you so choose: all of you have provided examples of your own work which I will peruse at my first opportunity.

Hurlbut
2007-09-18, 10:01 PM
Well this is a big step toward trusting you...:smalleek:
I await your eventual reply.

Fax Celestis
2007-09-18, 10:13 PM
And, one more thing:

Is this essentially a module? I don't think I've used any of these 'adventure with associated mechanics'.

Pretty much, but for the fact that the module usually introduces mechanics that come into play over the course of the module.

psychoticbarber
2007-09-18, 10:19 PM
Okay, I don't have anything that I've developed for you, but I would be willing to playtest or write fluff.

TheThan
2007-09-18, 11:58 PM
Wow. I知 all over this.

The chance to get published is very exiting.
I値l put together some stuff. I think I have some stuff I haven posted here yet. If not then I値l just submit some classes I致e done. So I値l look around and see what I have written out. I知 a bit weak on monsters but I can just about anything else. I can also play test and write fluff (though an editor would be nice).

I値l drop you an email with a sample or two, when I find something suitable.

Icewalker
2007-09-19, 01:06 AM

You sure there are legal issues with somebody publishing something under the age of 18? Or is it issues with whether or not their work is being taken advantage of by the publisher.

Because I'd really like to try to get anything published. I've already submitted loads to MitP II, and I've made other stuff too that I'd love to get into other compilation books.

If I can, I far prefer writing up stats than fluff.

Kurald Galain
2007-09-19, 05:44 AM
I've dropped you a line as well. Sounds interesting.

OneWinged4ngel
2007-09-19, 06:20 AM
Do we get *paid*? If so, how much?

Mephibosheth
2007-09-19, 10:17 AM
Email sent! Just tossing my hat into the ring.

Mephibosheth

AKA_Bait
2007-09-19, 10:21 AM
You sure there are legal issues with somebody publishing something under the age of 18? Or is it issues with whether or not their work is being taken advantage of by the publisher.

As far as I know in most states it's a mix of both. Depending upon how much under 18 the person is there may be child labor issues. Also, unless a parent or guardian signs off on it too the intelectual property rights make an issue if the original creator is underage. Sometimes, even if the parents sign off on it litigation follows a few years later.

Renegade Paladin
2007-09-19, 10:41 AM
The trouble with my work is that I work ridiculously slowly. However, I'm an excellent copy editor if you have need of one. I know Wizards of the Coast is manifestly in dire need, but they aren't hiring for some reason. :smalltongue:

Zeful
2007-09-19, 11:33 AM
I wouldn't mind helping a little, I've been trying to do my own homebrew stuff and the like.

My questions are:
1) What format this is going to be? Magazine? Subscription website?
2) Will we be able to publish under psudonyms?
3) Is there going to be somekind of 'quality control' (ie. playtesters, rules lawyers etc.) team to judge (and rewrite for clarity) the incoming material?

They are big questions and I might send you stuff regardless of the answers. Though to forewarn you, I'm not very good at homebrew.

Duke of URL
2007-09-19, 12:14 PM
I'm interested...

I'll send you an email with some samples, but they're basically going to be what I've already posted on these boards (including contest entries). Plus, if you like, I've penned a couple of short essays in the past on roleplaying (specifically: how to play alignments, and how to play abilities) that I can clean up and send on.

I'll also take a look at the 10,000 days info and see what I can come up with. (And I hope for your sake you backed up the character profiles from RPGwebprofiler before it went belly-up.)

Edea
2007-09-19, 12:27 PM
Playtesters/Quality Assurance people are always welcome.

I love coming up with new material as a hobby, but I feel I'm better at abusing the wording/editing/playtesting of other creations. I am also willing to go over any material you PM to me (pro bono, obviously).

If there's a niche that needs to be filled, I'm also willing to help write content for it (though it definitely helps to know where you want to go with said content, letting imagination run amok is one of my weak points).

Fax Celestis
2007-09-19, 12:28 PM
I'll also take a look at the 10,000 days info and see what I can come up with. (And I hope for your sake you backed up the character profiles from RPGwebprofiler before it went belly-up.)

Actually, the crew needs a good rebuild anyway. A lot of them are non-OGL.

Mr Croup
2007-09-19, 01:50 PM
I should say that I'm not looking to submit anything, as my short lived stint doing freelance writing is well behind me (and good riddance to it), but I'll pass this info along to a couple writers and game developers I know.

What is your publishing model (magazine, online content, book)? If you're looking to publish books, I'm assuming this is through a print on demand company. Is that correct, or do you have a publishing house lined up? Also, what is the pay scale? By the word, lump fee?

Fax Celestis
2007-09-19, 01:58 PM
I should say that I'm not looking to submit anything, as my short lived stint doing freelance writing is well behind me (and good riddance to it), but I'll pass this info along to a couple writers and game developers I know.

What is your publishing model (magazine, online content, book)? If you're looking to publish books, I'm assuming this is through a print on demand company. Is that correct, or do you have a publishing house lined up? Also, what is the pay scale? By the word, lump fee?

Print-on-demand, on a royalty system.

Mr Croup
2007-09-19, 02:08 PM
Print-on-demand, on a royalty system.

Thanks, I'll pass it along, though I don't think they'll likely bite at a royalty payment system, but it's worth a shot.

What print on demand service are you using, by the by? If you haven't selected your service, I'd recommend Lulu (www.lulu.com). They produce some of the best quality for on demand printing, and they do a lot through their community to get their clients' work out there.

Fax Celestis
2007-09-19, 02:17 PM
Thanks, I'll pass it along, though I don't think they'll likely bite at a royalty payment system, but it's worth a shot.

What print on demand service are you using, by the by? If you haven't selected your service, I'd recommend Lulu (www.lulu.com). They produce some of the best quality for on demand printing, and they do a lot through their community to get their clients' work out there.

Lulu us indeed the one I was looking to use.

DraPrime
2007-09-19, 02:48 PM

Since when is there a law that says minors can't get published? If you have issues with employment laws, as far as I know you can employ anyone 14 or older in the US.

AKA_Bait
2007-09-19, 02:52 PM
Since when is there a law that says minors can't get published? If you have issues with employment laws, as far as I know you can employ anyone 14 or older in the US.

Just look at it as butt covering. There are folks on these forums from not just every state in the US but a good sampling of nations too. For lots of these laws it varies from state to state (like the 14 or older, some states require working papers for that and some don't). 18 means that Fax's fledgling publishing venture doesn't need to worry about that potential headache at all.

Crazy_Uncle_Doug
2007-09-19, 03:01 PM
I suppose, if you're still looking, I'm willing to try. What are you looking for concerning samples, might I ask?

Logic
2007-09-19, 03:17 PM
Sign me up as a concept creator and fluff writer. Mechanics are not exactly my thing.

Fax Celestis
2007-09-19, 03:20 PM
I linked the Ten Thousand Days article earlier in this thread. I'm looking for augmentations of that.

Telonius
2007-09-19, 03:20 PM
Sent in my letter yesterday - exciting stuff!

F.H. Zebedee
2007-09-19, 03:33 PM
Is this only D20 system or other stuff as well?

As for D20, right now I'm pounding out Biblical D20 system that may very well be of interest to you. It may expand into a whole book-sized project, with the setting and a few campaigns fleshed out within it. I've got very little of the mechanics established fully, but I've got the ideas all ready and the time and effort to work on them. I've got a few artist friends/family who I'm also sure would be willing to give me the neccessary art to create the project. I could probably have it done by March, maybe sooner.

Outside of D20, I've been working on and off on a system/world called tentatively "Bloody Blessing". Right now, it's mostly in the concept phase, but I can tell you that it's quite well balanced on the basic levels. It's a sort of weird balance of realism and fantasy, but the playtesters loved it to pieces, and a story within the setting was extremely well received by all that read it. It's a bit harder to predict when it'd be ready, possibly not until two or three years from now.

And if you're looking to publish fantasy literature, I'd be willing to contribute to that as well. I think a short story compilation would actually be a very good idea. Not neccessarily VERY successful, but possibly decent.

I'll see what I can pull up for examples of my work, and send those along to you.

Zherog
2007-09-19, 03:42 PM
As for D20, right now I'm pounding out Biblical D20 system that may very well be of interest to you.

Are you aware the product already exists? There's a book by Green Ronin called Testament RPG. It's a d20 campaign setting set in the biblical world.

Link to the product on Paizo's store (http://paizo.com/store/byCompany/g/greenRoninPublishing/byProductType/roleplayingGames/mythicVistas/v5748btpy7eu3&source=search), because Green Ronin's site is blocked by my employer as are every review site I found, including EN World and RPG.net.

F.H. Zebedee
2007-09-19, 03:57 PM
I was aware of it, but not of the full nature of the product. I understand what it's trying to do, and that it was done with a considerable measure of competence.

I'm going to take my concept, run with it to the finish, and see how it stacks up. If I feel that I did a better job at it than they did, then I'll try to publish it. If not, then I'll simply let the superior product go without competition. I know my limits as a designer, and just want to see how well I can do in comparison. (To be honest with you, I like getting heavy critiques of the flaws in my work. It's good for ironing out flaws.)

Chris_Chandler
2007-09-19, 04:03 PM
I have sent you my information. This sounds like an interesting opportunity!

DraPrime
2007-09-19, 04:25 PM
BTW I sent my email.

Fax Celestis
2007-09-19, 04:27 PM
I will be going through emails tonight. And don't worry: I'll respond either with a "Yes, I'd like you on board," or a "No, you're not what I'm looking for at this time." I won't ignore you.

Zherog
2007-09-19, 04:41 PM
You should check your PMs as well. :smallwink:

Fax Celestis
2007-09-19, 04:46 PM
You should check your PMs as well. :smallwink:

Oh, hey look. I have PMs.

Zherog
2007-09-19, 05:13 PM
Indeed. I think the little pop-up window telling you you have PMs is the thing I miss most of the features removed for bandwidth issues.

Prophaniti
2007-09-19, 06:16 PM
I hope I'm not too late to send you something.... I just saw this thread, but I'm at work now... I'll try to send it on my lunch break. just a sample of some of my writing (thats mostly what I'd like to do) to see if you like the flavor. I'll look over this setting you linked and write something for that tomorrow (day off, yay!).

TheThan
2007-09-19, 06:43 PM
Email's Away!

Armoury99
2007-09-20, 03:33 PM
Tempting, tempting... I'll email you some samples of my stuff. Interested to see how this pans out even if I'm not part of it, so please do keep us updated!

JackMage666
2007-09-20, 06:12 PM
Now to begin the painful waiting process!

darthpower
2007-09-20, 06:48 PM
I am interested I have published some short stories and the like but never anything in the gaming community but I would love to give some fluff writing and concept stuff a try anything but mechanics man I am bad at them:smallwink:

Tommer_man
2007-09-20, 08:00 PM
Hey I would love to do anything that's needed. Playtest, mechanics, fluff you name it I'll do it.

Just one question, for fluff sake. Is there any particular mood or theme to it? My style tends to be gritty and spooky. Is that a problem?

Fax Celestis
2007-09-20, 08:34 PM
Hey I would love to do anything that's needed. Playtest, mechanics, fluff you name it I'll do it.

Just one question, for fluff sake. Is there any particular mood or theme to it? My style tends to be gritty and spooky. Is that a problem?

Nope, not at all.

Fax Celestis
2007-09-20, 09:12 PM
Okay, acceptances sent out. Thanks guys. If we ever need playtesters--and damn, we will at some point--I'll get to that then.

Edea
2007-09-20, 09:14 PM
*Sigh* If only I had stuff actually worth sending to someone :smallredface:

Renegade Paladin
2007-09-22, 12:28 AM
It may be a little late, but I dug up some of my homebrew work and e-mailed it along with my meager qualifications.

Hadrian_Emrys
2007-09-22, 02:21 AM
I can't say that, to date, my homebrew stuff has been worthwhile. However, when you get to the playtest stage of things, send word and I'll be happy to invest the time and effort needed.

detrevnisisiht
2007-09-22, 12:24 PM
i have a bunch of new player from ages 14 to 18 and i could play test for you

Jimbob
2007-09-24, 06:10 AM
Just sent you some of my stuff but not sure if its to late, give ti a read if you get time though:smalltongue:

Goober4473
2007-09-24, 01:10 PM
I guess I'll send some stuff and see what happens, if it's not too late.

Tommer_man
2007-09-24, 01:15 PM
I found my bin of good ideas empty so I wont be sending any submissions but anything else is good. Editing, playtesting, you name it, I'll do it. Play testing especially because well...if your afraid of broken rules <.< my group will be the first to find/exploit the HELL out of.

KoDT69
2007-09-24, 02:17 PM
How much longer are you accepting submissions?
I saw that you're looking for a rework of your 10,000 Days adventure, but are you willing to check out other pre-made adventures? I was thinking of making one similar to our once great :smallfrown: Dungeon Magazine articles. It could be made longer and definitely introduce new or different mechanics. I've been itching to do some writing for years now (all 13 years I've played I've also wanted to write). I finally put all of my old characters to retirement and gotten to the point where I'm starting fresh. All the old binders are stored away and all major characters committed to hard drive :smallsmile: (yes I'm such a nerd). So my fresh start is now the perfect time to write and playtest as I go with a fresh group!

Zherog
2007-09-26, 10:32 AM
You might be wantin' to check your PMs again, Fax. :smallwink: