PDA

View Full Version : Following on from strongest single class, peak power levels

Stygofthedump
2018-10-31, 06:41 PM
At what level does each class reach its peak in power relative to other classes and monsters?
For example I suggest a moon Druids peak is not LV 20 but actually level 2.

Not looking to compare which class is strongest, just which level is the peak for that class in a relative sense.

Another example might be Ancients paladin LV 7 due to magic resistance?

Merudo
2018-11-01, 05:51 AM
At what level does each class reach its peak in power relative to other classes and monsters?
For example I suggest a moon Druids peak is not LV 20 but actually level 2.

Not looking to compare which class is strongest, just which level is the peak for that class in a relative sense.

Another example might be Ancients paladin LV 7 due to magic resistance?

Battlemaster: level 3 (battle dice start out strong but don't really scale)

All Clerics: level 1-5
Tempest Cleric: level 3 (maximizable Shatter)
Light Cleric: level 5 (for Fireball)

Shepard Druid: level 6

Lore Bard: level 6 (magic secrets & fonts of inspiration)

Amdy_vill
2018-11-01, 06:21 AM
Wizard level 17

because that when they get wish

Sorcerer level 9

because they get 5th level spells.

Randomthom
2018-11-01, 06:42 AM
Forge Cleric lvl 1. Mountain Dwarf starting play with heavy armour & shield proficiency and a +1 battleaxe/warhammer plus spells & domain features.

Gloomstalker Ranger lvl 3 (campaign setting-dependent). Anywhere where darkness is prevalent you can be essentially perma-invisible.

Arkhios
2018-11-01, 06:50 AM
Here's a few I came up with, assuming I understood the point of this thread correctly :smalltongue:

Bard,

College of Swords @ 3rd level: Either Dueling or Two-Weapon Fighting Style + Blade Flourish.
(arguably) College of Swords @ 14th level: Master's Flourish (can roll a 1d6 instead of expending a Bardic Inspiration die).

Barbarian (aside the obvious extra attack),

Totem Warrior @ 3rd level: especially Bear and Wolf Totems.
Zealot @ 3rd level: if a spell has the sole effect of restoring you to life (but not undeath), the caster doesn't need material components to cast the spell on you.

Fighter (aside the obvious extra attack),

Cavalier @ 3rd level: Unwavering Mark (arguably the best class feature for tanking, even better than rage IMHO).

Paladin (aside the obvious extra attack and aura of protection),

Oath of Devotion @ 3rd level: Sacred Weapon (add charisma to attack rolls with any one weapon for 1 minute).
Oath of Vengeance @ 3rd level: Vow of Enmity (for 1 minute, advantage on all (not just melee-, or even weapon-) attacks against one target).

Dudu
2018-11-01, 11:14 AM
Lvl 5 is likely either the peak or second hightest peak of any class.

For clerics I feel it is.

Sorcerers are twinning Haste and empowering Fireballs.

Martial classes get their extra attack.

Casters who rely on cantrips for at will damage also get an upgrade to cantrips.

Yeah, also 3rd level spells for full caster.

Bump in proficiency.

Rogues might be the exception.

Man_Over_Game
2018-11-01, 12:57 PM
Rogues might be the exception.

Rogues are either level 1 or 2. 1 for the insane amount of burst damage from a ranged attack. A monk can deal as much damage at level 1, but he can't do it safely.

At level 2, Rogues can hide behind cover and consistently get advantage on their stealth if they have Expertise, so many combatants at range will often be dead before they can reach your team or react.

None of the Rogue archetypes are gamebreaking in combat, and the sneak attack balances out with the life of creatures around level 3-4, so the effects aren't nearly as dramatic as those first two levels. Don't get me wrong, Sneak Attack is still good, but consistently so, rather than surprising.

Stygofthedump
2018-11-01, 05:41 PM
Thanks for replies

I would say that while extra attack at lv 5 and third level spells are a large jump in power, Many classes get these benefits so this increase needs to be weighed against each other as well as CR of critters.

Any rebuttal for Moon Druid lvl 2?
Surly Cleric is level 1? can anyone match their features.
I would say Fighter is lv 2 (action surge)

If I was inclined to spend the time I'd like to see a power level per level graph for each class.

Benny89
2018-11-01, 06:01 PM
I think the highest early peak is Vuman Crossbow Expert Battlemaster Sharpshoter. With Archer style using Hand Crossbow.

It's first peak is at level 1- it has full extra attack (which is like having two fighters on 1 level). It's STUPIDLY strong. It's doing 100% more damage than anyone else and highest DPR from whole party.

But it real power peak is at level 4 when he grabs Sharpshooter and has Precision strikes from level 3 battlemaster.

Now he has two 1d6 + 3 + 10 attacks with +2 to hit (3 DEX, 2 Archery, 2 prof = 7. SS -5 = +2).

He also gets Action surge so at 4th level he can already Nova for 3d6 + 9 + 30 for average 49 dmg, which is RIDDICULOUS on level 4. And he can do it on 120 ft range with no penalty to melee range and no penalty to aything but full cover.

Crazy.

Then he peaks at level 5 with extra attack which let's him do on level 5 average DPR of 49 per round with potential Nova of 5d6 + 15 + 50 = 82,5 dmg which is crazy on level 5. But then he gets 20 DEX on level 8.... That means that even with SS he has +5 to hit (+5 Dex, +3 Prof, +2 Archery = 10 -5 = +5).

After that he slows down till 11 when he can do 4 attacks per round with Hand Crossbow and 7 when nova with Action Surge. Then level 17 one more action surge for 2 Novas. And when you need to Nova you can burn all superiority dices for + d10 to hit to ensure hitting all shots.

Overall Hand Crossbow Expert SS BM is highest consistent DPR in game and he peaks as early as 4 level and stays strong all the way up to 20. You grab Resilent (WIS) on level 12 and you have high CON saves, high DEX saves and high WIS saves, 120 ft range, you are both crazy good in melee and range and with BM menancing strike and trip strike you can really stay safe behind whole party. And he gets back EVERYTHING on short rest (sup.dices, action surge, second wind etc.).

If you wanna super effective but lazy and easy to use build- it doesn't get any better than that.

Afrodactyl
2018-11-01, 06:12 PM
For the moon druid, I would argue that it has an initial peak at level two and from there it peters out and steadily becomes less potent until it reaches level twenty, where it peaks again.

The moon druid is very powerful at low levels yes, but being able to yo-yo in and out of mammoth form at will is very potent, giving you an infinite (theoretically) pool of HP and reasonable melee damage each turn.

By no means is it a huge melee DPR powerhouse at twentieth, especially compared to fighters, paladins, etc, but if you can't kill that druid you can't be TPK'd.

stoutstien
2018-11-01, 11:53 PM
For the moon druid, I would argue that it has an initial peak at level two and from there it peters out and steadily becomes less potent until it reaches level twenty, where it peaks again.

The moon druid is very powerful at low levels yes, but being able to yo-yo in and out of mammoth form at will is very potent, giving you an infinite (theoretically) pool of HP and reasonable melee damage each turn.

By no means is it a huge melee DPR powerhouse at twentieth, especially compared to fighters, paladins, etc, but if you can't kill that druid you can't be TPK'd.
Moonbeam is what, a 2nd lv spell?

Wub
2018-11-02, 11:12 AM
I'd say that each class has multiple peaks depending on what you're looking for in a multiclass/one-shot character.

That said:

Fighter 11 gets its third attack, which is class-unique.
Lore Bard 3 becomes a true skill monkey.

(And I like to think of wildshape as a high-DR shield rather than HP, since there's still attacks that can directly penetrate through wildshape like Power Word Kill.)

Trustypeaches
2018-11-02, 12:51 PM
Level 5 Paladin is pretty dramatic.

They get Extra Attack, of course, but also double in their total number of spell slots, two of which are 2nd level. Of course they also get 2nd level spells with gems like Spiritual Weapon, Moonbeam, Hold Person, and Misty Step depending on the Oath.