PDA

View Full Version : 4th level Hexblade advancement

MThurston
2018-11-01, 06:50 AM
Ok, so I am playing a hexblade.

1st Level Spells: Hex, Arms of Hadar, Hellish Rebuke.
2nd Level Spells: Mirror Images

Invocations: Darkvision, Detect Magic
Pact of the Blade

Next level is 4th.

My Con and Cha scores both need a plus 1 to get the next bonus.

For my feat do I take +1 to both stats? Or do I take Durable at 4th. This will give me 4 HPs and make my healing between rests always nice. I would then take Human Determination at 8th for a +1 Cha and the reroll once per short rest.

Does his sound like a good plan or is there other feats I could take that would help me better with raising Con and Cha?

Zanthy1
2018-11-01, 06:54 AM
Typically if I have odd numbers in 2 of my main stats I would up those instead of a feat, especially if Durable is the one you're considering.

MThurston
2018-11-01, 07:24 AM
It's an instant fix but no flavor.

2 feats for +1 In Con/Cha with great healing and a free inspiration.

Just not sure if there is a feat I can take that would be better for me if I took the +1 to two stats.

nickl_2000
2018-11-01, 07:41 AM
Con Boosting Half Feats
-Durable - Decent considering you are a warlock and will be taking short rests to regain HP through HD
-Tavern Brawler - Not worth it
-Gourmand (UA) - interesting and flavorful (get it, a cooking feat is flavorful), not a huge amount of combat use
-Dragonmake (Eberron) - This one could be awesome if allowed
-Resilient Con - An amazing choice

Cha Boosting Half Feats
-Actor - Could be awesome depending on your play style and group
-Diplomat (UA) - Another possibly awesome one depending on playstyle
-Menacing (UA) - See above
-Performer (UA) - Probably better for a bard than a hexblade
-Silver Tounged (UA) - Expertise in deception and basically free advantage/disengage against one target, worth considering
-Master of Disguise (UA) - See diplomat

So here is what it comes down to. Do any of the allowed feats above sound better than a more powerful feat (mobile, shield mastery, sentinel, warcaster, etc). If the more powerful feat sounds more interesting you take the ASI at this level and at 8 you can take the other feat. On the other hand if the above sounds more interesting you go with those.

BobZan
2018-11-01, 07:54 AM
What race?

MThurston
2018-11-01, 07:55 AM
I have war caster. I was looking at great weapon master but the big damage is with heavy weapons and my weapon is a flail.

We are using my weapon as the base of my power. Without it, I can not cast spells.

So I don't see a game changer better right now than some flavor +1 and small ability.

Nezgar
2018-11-01, 07:56 AM
There is a lot of information missing in that post.
Is this a melee or ranged Hexblade? What race are you playing? What kind of feats are allowed? If Human Variant, what was your starting feat? How does your stat line looks like at the moment? What kind of weapon setup are you using (2h or 1h+shield)?

If you want a CON half-feat, my first choice would almost always be Resilient (CON) unless you already have that or started as Fighter or Sorcerer at first level. You really cannot afford to lose concentration when all you have is 2 spell slots, one of which is going to be super important both for your survivability and your damage.
If you also find a CHA half-feat that sounds interesting to you, pick that one up as well. I generally like feats more than to straight-up boost the stats.

Depending on some of the questions I asked above, it might be reasonable to just +1/+1 those stats to get it out of the way and to be able to focus on more important feats for your next ASIs.

nickl_2000
2018-11-01, 07:59 AM
What race?

I'm assuming human since the OP was talking about the Human Determination feat and has said he has the Warcaster feat.

MThurston
2018-11-01, 08:16 AM
Human: variant
Flail and Shield
Con and Cha both odd
Dex 14 and I am wearing a Breast Plate
Str, Int Wis not important to this build.

The only other thing is Medium Armor Master but I lose out on this because I need another feat. My Dex needs to be at 16 and the only bonus for ARM is half plate not being at disadvantage for sneak.

Nezgar
2018-11-01, 08:46 AM
In that case I stand with my initial recommendation: Take Resilient (CON) first and then another CHA half-feat of your choice at level 8.

Other feats aren't strong enough to rush them at this point.
Shield Master is nifty, but once you are using Darkness or Shadow of Moil, you won't need the bonus action shove to get advantage anyway. The +2 to Dex saves is nice, but shouldn't be your priority at the moment.
Sentinel is made more or less redundant by Booming Blade (which I assume you have) and Warcaster. You still might lose out on a few reaction attacks when fighting close to an ally of yours, but that also really depends on your group setup.
PAM/GWM are out of the question if you want to keep using 1h+shield.
Lucky would be fairly strong, but not very interesting and it can probably wait until you have upped your stats first.
Depending on how many players you have in your party, Inspiring Leader could be an option later on, unless someone else with a lot of CHA in your party has it already.

Ultimately it also depends heavily on how much you value power over fluff.

Another thing that I have noticed: Unless you have a Ruby of the War Mage or your DM just hand-waves material components away, you really need Improved Pact Weapon to be able to actually cast spells with M component while using 1h + shield.

MThurston
2018-11-01, 09:09 AM
In that case I stand with my initial recommendation: Take Resilient (CON) first and then another CHA half-feat of your choice at level 8.

Other feats aren't strong enough to rush them at this point.
Shield Master is nifty, but once you are using Darkness or Shadow of Moil, you won't need the bonus action shove to get advantage anyway. The +2 to Dex saves is nice, but shouldn't be your priority at the moment.
Sentinel is made more or less redundant by Booming Blade (which I assume you have) and Warcaster. You still might lose out on a few reaction attacks when fighting close to an ally of yours, but that also really depends on your group setup.
PAM/GWM are out of the question if you want to keep using 1h+shield.
Lucky would be fairly strong, but not very interesting and it can probably wait until you have upped your stats first.
Depending on how many players you have in your party, Inspiring Leader could be an option later on, unless someone else with a lot of CHA in your party has it already.

Ultimately it also depends heavily on how much you value power over fluff.

Another thing that I have noticed: Unless you have a Ruby of the War Mage or your DM just hand-waves material components away, you really need Improved Pact Weapon to be able to actually cast spells with M component while using 1h + shield.

The DM has allowed the weapon to be used as my focus. It will become +1 at some point and then level again at some point.

Should have mentioned this earlier.

MilkmanDanimal
2018-11-01, 09:18 AM
At level 4, the +1 to CON and CHA without looking back. Sure, CON saves are situationally very important, but +1 HP per level and +1 on attacks, damage, and DC from CHA? That's huge, both in and out of combat.

Using the ASI lets you buff your two most important stats. Worry about feats later and take the easy upgrades.

MThurston
2018-11-01, 09:24 AM
At level 4, the +1 to CON and CHA without looking back. Sure, CON saves are situationally very important, but +1 HP per level and +1 on attacks, damage, and DC from CHA? That's huge, both in and out of combat.

Using the ASI lets you buff your two most important stats. Worry about feats later and take the easy upgrades.

But what should I be looking for in feats at level 8?

MilkmanDanimal
2018-11-01, 09:38 AM
But what should I be looking for in feats at level 8?

If you want to tank, Sentinel, Resilient CON, or Warcaster. If you want to help your party, Inspiring Leader is phenomenal for a CHA-based character. General utility, I always like Alert or Observant on principle (going first vs. seeing everything), and Lucky is eternally useful.

Don't worry about level 8, by the time you get there you might have multiclassed or found some magic items or something else that changes how you play. You don't even need a feat at 8; you can just ASI your CHA up to 20 (which is what I would do), which is again useful in every possible way.