PDA

View Full Version : Lost Mines of Phandelver Character

Genoin
2018-11-01, 08:55 AM
I am a long time 3.5/PF player starting my first game of 5e playing Lost Mines of Phandelver. I am considering playing a rogue (unsure of archetype) but I wanted to get some suggestions. I know the adventure generally goes from level 1-5, so with that in mind

1. What classes/archetypes are particularly good in this level range (aka start strong and peak early)

2. If I do choose rogue, what archetype/build suggestions di you have

3. Feel free to suggest any fun 1-5 builds. I am new to 5e, so I am sure there are a lot of new things that are possible here that I might not discover on my own at this stage.

Arkhios
2018-11-01, 09:31 AM
Since you already mentioned going rogue (pun intended), who am I to sway you from that path :smallwink:

That said, my personal favorite in regards to rogue is Swashbuckler archetype.
Having had my fair share of 3.5/PF experience over 15+ years of my TTRPG history, I know a few things that makes someone with that background tick. Obviously, I might be wrong about you, so take this with a grain of salt. :P

For example, I know many people with 3.5 background are prone to min/max (and tbh, there's nothing wrong about it; I just prefer not to), so here goes:

Variant Human (+1 Dex, +1 Cha; Dual Wielder)
Str 8, Dex 15+1, Con 14, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 15+1

Expertise is amazing feature, regardless of which skills you choose for it. Perception is always a good choice, though.

Right off the bat, you can dual wield one-handed, non-light melee weapons without any issues (such as two rapiers), and whether you do so or not, while dual wielding, you get +1 bonus to your AC. Additionally, you can draw or stow two weapons when you would normally be able to draw or stow only one weapon, which is definitely pretty cool.

Two-Weapon Fighting as a rogue means you have twice as many chances to land a hit, and thus, twice as many chances to make a sneak attack on your turn. Since Sneak Attack only works once per turn, you can't deal a crap load of damage with both of the attacks you have (unlike in 3.5/PF, where you could make as many sneak attacks as you had attacks on your turn), but at least you have better odds of doing it at least that one time.

This is for your first level alone.

Starting from 2nd-level, you get Cunning Action, which is absolutely amazing ability.

At 3rd level, you gain the Swashbuckler treats. First of all, you get some of the benefits of the Mobile feat without taking the feat (meaning, you can move in, attack, and move away without provoking attacks of opportunity from any of your targets as long as you made an attack roll against them, and regardless if you hit or not). This also frees your bonus action from Cunning Action for two-weapon fighting, as it requires a bonus action as well, unfortunately. And, you get to deal sneak attack damage even if you are the only one attacking your target (normally, a rogue needs either advantage or an ally within 5 feet of your target to make a sneak attack).
Additionally, you add your charisma modifier to your Initiative checks, which is also amazing, and gives a (good) incentive to have a decent Charisma score. Since you should have high charisma, it's a good idea to perhaps invest one of the Expertise picks for a Charisma skill, such as Persuasion or Deception. Or Intimidate, if that's more of your thing (and honestly, I would, because Swashbuckler is pretty swag :smallbiggrin:)

At 4th level you only gain ASI, but then again, you'll get a lot of mileage from increasing Dexterity by 2, as it affects your attack rolls, damage rolls, Dexterity Saving throws, Initiative, and of course, AC (if I forgot something, my bad)

5th level gives you Uncanny Dodge, which makes you surprisingly tanky, even though you are "only" a rogue. Swashbuckler is definitely geared towards a "sturdy combatant" though.

MilkmanDanimal
2018-11-01, 09:33 AM
Rogues are great, and work well in that particular module. If you're talking subclasses, I actually like all of the Rogue subclasses in both the PHB and Xanathar's for their own reasons, though I think the Assassin really does kick butt early with the potential burst damage, and I just like the Swashbuckler (XtGE) on principle. Assassin basically just needs DEX and expertise in Steath, so it's easy, and Swashbuckler has CHA as a secondary stat.

Really, the only class I don't think works well early is Sorcerer, because that class' utility is really based on Sorcery Points, and you just don't have many early. As you go, it's a class with amazing utility and flexibility, it's just a bit of a slow burn.

If you want to sneak around and end stuff, Rogue. If you want HULK SMASH, Barbarians can mow things down pretty much at every level. Warlocks are weird, but Eldritch Blast + Agonizing Blast means you do solid damage from level 2 on. 5e is balanced well enough you can pick almost any archetype, and you'll be successful, but you'll never have the ridiculous super-builds that were so common in 3.5e.

Genoin
2018-11-01, 01:12 PM
Thanks for the responses! I already looked at the assassin and it seemed very powerful, and I will look at the swashbuckler as well.

I originally was interested in arcane trickster, but it doesn't seem great in such a short adventure. I am highly interested in playing a Lore Bard, but I want to save that for a campaign that goes into higher levels.

In regards to expertise, what skills would be good to use it with? Not for this module specifically, because I don't want to metagame, but maybe certain skills would be better to focus on at lower levels?

Also, I do have some history of minmaxing, yes. For me though it wasn't about having absurdly powerful characters, but I just enjoyed the theoretical optimization aspect of building a character.

GlenSmash!
2018-11-01, 01:22 PM
Thanks for the responses! I already looked at the assassin and it seemed very powerful, and I will look at the swashbuckler as well.

I originally was interested in arcane trickster, but it doesn't seem great in such a short adventure. I am highly interested in playing a Lore Bard, but I want to save that for a campaign that goes into higher levels.

Arcane Trickster gains a lot of utility with those spells, still if you know you have other casters in the party, extra utility may not be needed.

In regards to expertise, what skills would be good to use it with? Not for this module specifically, because I don't want to metagame, but maybe certain skills would be better to focus on at lower levels? Stealth and Thieves' Tools expertise are the standard in my mind. Useful and thematic.

Also, I do have some history of minmaxing, yes. For me though it wasn't about having absurdly powerful characters, but I just enjoyed the theoretical optimization aspect of building a character.

Nothing wrong with that. If the concept you have in your Mind is "best Rogue I can be" then go for it.