PDA

View Full Version : DELTARUNE, a new project by Toby Fox

Pseudo_Nym
2018-11-01, 10:53 AM
For Halloween yesterday, Toby Fox (the creator of Undertale) released.... something. A free something, named Deltarune (https://www.deltarune.com/), intended for people who've completed Undertale.

...And that's all I can say without spoilers, really. Have a look, share your thoughts, do a dance. In the order of your choice.

I'm freaking out! I love Undertale so much! Deltarune's a couple hours long, and for a freeware game it's darn good entirely on it's own merits. It's lacking a bit of Undertale's depth, though, both in character motivation and narrative flexibility. The encounter system is a fancier, expanded-upon version of Undertale's -- definitely fun, though whether it's an improvement or not I'll leave to those less fettered by nostalgia.

But what really interests me is the connection with Undertale. Until the end, it seems just plausible enough to be a direct sequel... but it's definitely an alternate universe of some sort. Since alternate universes and changing timelines are already canon to Undertale, though, known and studied by multiple characters, that doesn't rule out as much as it otherwise might. So many questions!

danzibr
2018-11-01, 06:27 PM
:O

Played Undertale (twice), loved it. Going to check this out later.

Thanks!

Lord Raziere
2018-11-01, 07:20 PM
It seems to be a demo until the real game comes out, with this just being "chapter 1"

I've completed it and its really strange how much is both the same and different. I'm keeping my eye on Sans in particular. I don't buy for a moment that he doesn't have some idea of whats up. I mean the skelebros arrived out of nowhere in the first game as well, just longer time ago- that one day they just showed up and started living in Snowdin. I'm thinking that Sans and Papyrus are universe-hoppers. or at least Sans is.

....I dunno, there is something going on in Deltarune, but ain't good and you don't have the choice you did in Undertale. sure the story ends happily THIS chapter.....but if your decisions don't matter....then if the story turns dark, there is nothing you can do to stop it from doing so.....and from the final scene....its going to turn dark.

Pseudo_Nym
2018-11-01, 10:45 PM
It seems to be a demo until the real game comes out, with this just being "chapter 1"

I've completed it and its really strange how much is both the same and different. I'm keeping my eye on Sans in particular. I don't buy for a moment that he doesn't have some idea of whats up. I mean the skelebros arrived out of nowhere in the first game as well, just longer time ago- that one day they just showed up and started living in Snowdin. I'm thinking that Sans and Papyrus are universe-hoppers. or at least Sans is.

....I dunno, there is something going on in Deltarune, but ain't good and you don't have the choice you did in Undertale. sure the story ends happily THIS chapter.....but if your decisions don't matter....then if the story turns dark, there is nothing you can do to stop it from doing so.....and from the final scene....its going to turn dark.

Possibly, possibly. I strove for utmost vagueness! Honestly, I worried calling it a game was a spoiler. I didn't know that's what it was when I downloaded it, after all. Maybe I'll change the title.

Plus, I spent far too long on the secret boss to really think of it as just a demo, myself. But if that's what it is, I'm even more impressed! By the way, there's a secret boss.

Yeah, "Your choices don't matter" is a recurring theme, which I can only assume means it's going to be fought against later on. I'd be quite surprised (and worried about Toby) if it was just embraced as-is. If we're going to end up opposing Undertale's Genocide conclusion of "SINCE WHEN WERE YOU THE ONE IN CONTROL," though, it makes perfect sense to do it in this sort of gradual way of guaranteeing a happy ending for act one, however hard you try to mess it up. Show Fate as a powerful force by putting it in your corner before it turns against you, sort of thing. Seems to be lilting that way.

And there's got to be some connection between the games/universes. I don't think for a minute this is just a 'Majora's Mask'-style reused characters/elseworld thing. Too many connections, broken and maintained. And Sans in particular is good at keeping secrets. Can't wait to find out what they mean!

Also:

"All we know is that the triangles symbolize us monsters below, and the winged circle above symbolizes... somethin' else."
"Our reports showed a massive anomaly in the timespace continuum."
"I'm visiting Waterfall from the city. Synchronicity? My neighbor's daughter looks about your age. Her name is 'Suzy.' I feel like you two should be friends."
"H-hey, I've done research about this! There are alternate universes out there!"
"Let us erase this pointless world, and move on to the next."
"One day he vanished without a trace. They say he shattered across time and space."
"There's two of 'em. Brothers, I think. They just showed up one day and... asserted themselves."
"I gave up trying to go back a long time ago. And getting to the surface doesn't appeal anymore, either."
"YEAH, SANS NEVER TELLS ANYBODY ANYTHING!"
"Beware of the man who came from the other world."
"DARK, DARKER, YET DARKER. THE SHADOWS CUTTING DEEPER."
"don't forget"

Forum Explorer
2018-11-03, 03:39 AM
For Halloween yesterday, Toby Fox (the creator of Undertale) released.... something. A free something, named Deltarune (https://www.deltarune.com/), intended for people who've completed Undertale.

...And that's all I can say without spoilers, really. Have a look, share your thoughts, do a dance. In the order of your choice.

I'm freaking out! I love Undertale so much! Deltarune's a couple hours long, and for a freeware game it's darn good entirely on it's own merits. It's lacking a bit of Undertale's depth, though, both in character motivation and narrative flexibility. The encounter system is a fancier, expanded-upon version of Undertale's -- definitely fun, though whether it's an improvement or not I'll leave to those less fettered by nostalgia.

But what really interests me is the connection with Undertale. Until the end, it seems just plausible enough to be a direct sequel... but it's definitely an alternate universe of some sort. Since alternate universes and changing timelines are already canon to Undertale, though, known and studied by multiple characters, that doesn't rule out as much as it otherwise might. So many questions!

Fun and interesting to be sure.

The ending sorta came out of no where, but there are a lot of cool things just scattered throughout the story. Like for example, Asriel's bed has a bunch of trophies while Kris' bed is empty.

I have to admit though I did expect the Dark World to be nothing more then a creation of Asriel considering Ralsei's name.

Anyways, it seems to be pretty solidly in the AU category. I'm curious to see what the fate of humanity is considering you are the only visible human are apparently adopted.

danzibr
2018-11-03, 10:02 PM
Whooooaaaaaa just played it. Crazy. Took a few hours, way more than I was expecting (like the Undertale demo, 20 minutes?).

I don't have anything to spoil... but man, I feel like I'm not understanding it.

Spore
2018-11-05, 01:53 AM
Played 5 minutes before work (gotta jet now) and all I am saying is

Asriel does seem to be the favorite child. I assume this world's goat mom practices favoritism.

danzibr
2018-11-05, 06:26 AM
Yeah, I’d agree with that.

The game’s long enough you kind of forget about the beginning. The character creation and being discarded and choices not mattering. And I suspect it’s not just some random game voice. Maybe Gaster.

Like in Undertale, you meet Flowey right away and kind of forget about him until the end, but he’s super important.

Oh yeah. Choices. I suspect they really will matter, like in Undertale. Gotta convince the big bad.

But it does make me want to play it again, using the attack option.

Lord Raziere
2018-11-05, 09:41 AM
Yeah, I’d agree with that.

The game’s long enough you kind of forget about the beginning. The character creation and being discarded and choices not mattering. And I suspect it’s not just some random game voice. Maybe Gaster.

Like in Undertale, you meet Flowey right away and kind of forget about him until the end, but he’s super important.

Oh yeah. Choices. I suspect they really will matter, like in Undertale. Gotta convince the big bad.

But it does make me want to play it again, using the attack option.

Don't bother:
It really doesn't make much of a difference: all the enemies just run away, you can't kill C.Round no matter how much damage you deal, and the only difference between the pacifist and violent ends is that Spade King is put to sleep using Ralsei's spell and instead of getting to say goodbye to everyone, they just come to try and beat you up along with the king so you got to high tail it out quick, in the end you still find yourself back in the real world as if nothing happened as if it was a dream.

As for Asriel and Kris: actually everyone in town considers Kris a creepy silent child and that acting sociable and talkative at all like your controlling them is considered out of character for them. the entire epilogue aside from cluing you in that this is an AU, also tells you about Kris themselves and how your not acting like them at all: your bad at the piano, you don't remember signing something Kris did, you don't seem to be some creepy soulless shell. there is something going on with Kris and it ain't good, especially given the ending to chapter 1.

DigoDragon
2018-11-05, 10:24 AM
I think my favorite thing about Deltarune (Delta Rune? I see it both ways. I think it's supposed to be one word) is how the fandom quickly latched onto it and loves it. I'm watching my friends gush, and even my daughter was like "Dad, you NEED to play this game so we can talk about how awesome it is." LOL, that's brand loyalty right there, and deserved because it is a fun game. :smallbiggrin:

I think the updated combat system is my favorite part of DR. The dodging mechanics in combat still aggravates me (maybe less so than Undertale), but having an actual *party* really fixed the action economy. Now you can heal and still act at the same round.

Heh, fluffy boy is the most adorable black mage and no one can change my mind.

NeoVid
2018-11-05, 04:54 PM
I'm glad I found out about Deltarune the day it released, since I was able to complete it before having to deal with spoilers or the hype taking over the entire internet, unlike when I waited a month to play the first game. Though like the first game, it did turn out to be as good as the hype.

I do want to replay it and see how different the events can be, but I've got too damn many games to get through right now...

My contribution to the amount of weirdness that can be overlooked in this game: Did you notice that when you save for the first time, you're overwriting a save file named 'Kris?' Also, if you try to use the name 'Gaster' during character creation, the game crashes or restarts...

RMS Oceanic
2018-11-06, 03:22 AM
The Asgore hug was wholesome and I declare it canon in all universes.

Spore
2018-11-06, 06:29 AM
The Asgore hug was wholesome and I declare it canon in all universes.

Asgore not hugging is like Flowey not being evil. Or Temmie forming a fully functional sentence. A 'paradox'!

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/426/793/c1e.gif
Music: https://tobyfox.bandcamp.com/track/fanfare-from-rose-of-winter

Also I assume deltarune is a play on the rune symbology of the underground chest, delta being the fourth rune and all that. But delta is usually the "difference" between two states or values in math and physics.

f is an applied force to an object: 1,000 Newton holds up 1kg of weight.
Δf is the difference between two states of applied forces: If you hold 1kg weight on one hand, put it down, and then pick up a 2kg weight, the new force f is 2,000 Newton. But Δf is 1,000 Newton.

Delta also describes an area or the difference between two end states. ∂f is anything between 1,000 and 2,000 Newton.

danzibr
2018-11-06, 06:57 AM
Don't bother:
It really doesn't make much of a difference: all the enemies just run away, you can't kill C.Round no matter how much damage you deal, and the only difference between the pacifist and violent ends is that Spade King is put to sleep using Ralsei's spell and instead of getting to say goodbye to everyone, they just come to try and beat you up along with the king so you got to high tail it out quick, in the end you still
find yourself back in the real world as if nothing happened as if it was a dream.

As for Asriel and Kris: actually everyone in town considers Kris a creepy silent child and that acting sociable and talkative at all like your controlling them is considered out of character for them. the entire epilogue aside from cluing you in that this is an AU, also tells you about Kris themselves and how your not acting like them at all: your bad at the piano, you don't remember signing something Kris did, you don't seem to be some creepy soulless shell. there is something going on with Kris and it ain't good, especially given the ending to chapter 1.
Huh. This does speak to the your-choices-don’t-matter thing.

Also, aesthetically this reminded me of BoF3.

And I did find some of the scenes quite comical.

Lheticus
2018-11-06, 09:03 PM
Something seriously bugs me about the "legend" that plays in the intro.

"For millenia, LIGHT and DARK have lived in balance, bringing peace to the WORLD." Then later on, it says that three heroes will appear "at WORLDS' edge." The apostrophe is pointedly on the outside. Now, it could be a typo, but considering who made this game, I REALLY freaking doubt it. It's implying that there will be multiple worlds in the setting! What this will mean for the full game, I don't know...but I haven't really seen anyone else talking about it so I really just wanted to point out.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2018-11-07, 12:56 AM
Lheticus, at the risk of being extra-cryptic for anyone not reading the spoilers, we have already seen at least two of the things you're concerned with in-game.

...has anyone beaten K. Round without bowing yet? I'm inclined to believe that it's literally impossible, but there's a possibility in the back of my mind that you can just barely out-DPS Self-Care with perfectly-timed hits.

Granted, that would still make the feat of killing it boring, grindy, and way too hard, and the payoff would probably amount to 0 XP and the exact same lecture from Ralsei as before, but still!

DigoDragon
2018-11-07, 08:42 AM
Something seriously bugs me about the "legend" that plays in the intro.

"For millenia, LIGHT and DARK have lived in balance, bringing peace to the WORLD." Then later on, it says that three heroes will appear "at WORLDS' edge." The apostrophe is pointedly on the outside. Now, it could be a typo, but considering who made this game, I REALLY freaking doubt it. It's implying that there will be multiple worlds in the setting! What this will mean for the full game, I don't know...but I haven't really seen anyone else talking about it so I really just wanted to point out.

My thought is that you start in the 'Light' world and the other where most of the adventure takes place is the 'Dark' world. Seems like two worlds there, and maybe more later on...?
Guess that means the edge of the Light world is the school's supply closet. :smallbiggrin:

Maryring
2018-11-07, 09:20 AM
My thought is that you start in the 'Light' world and the other where most of the adventure takes place is the 'Dark' world. Seems like two worlds there, and maybe more later on...?
Guess that means the edge of the Light world is the school's supply closet. :smallbiggrin:

NotAsriel is from the Dark World, so the implication of the prophecy seems to be that the three should be entering an entirely different world altogether. Otherwise, why would Raisel appear "at the edge of the world"?

DigoDragon
2018-11-07, 10:55 AM
NotAsriel is from the Dark World, so the implication of the prophecy seems to be that the three should be entering an entirely different world altogether. Otherwise, why would Raisel appear "at the edge of the world"?

Worlds' in plural to me indicates multiple world edges in play. Therefore the heroes don't necessarily have to come from the same world. We may see Ralsei pulled to the Light world in a future chapter.

It reminds me of the video game Final Fantasy 5. In the story, there are two separate worlds and the party of heroes are made up of residents from both. Later on we find out that the two worlds are connected in a special way--they were once a single world, split into two separate worlds in order to contain a sinister power. I see some parallels here in DeltaRune.

Morty
2018-11-07, 04:49 PM
Like some others, I got the distinct "this isn't real" impression from the story. The plot was very much like compressed Undertale - fall to an underground world, make your way home, have a choice between being cruel or kind... it felt very familiar and that's probably on purpose. Not sure if the same applies to the events on the surface.

137beth
2018-11-07, 09:03 PM
I'm a big Undertale fan, so I was pretty excited to see this. However, I was dissapointed to see

DOWNLOAD
ENGLISH VERSION
(WINDOWS)
DOWNLOAD
ENGLISH VERSION
(MACOS)

With no other operating systems mentioned. Hopefully there will be a Linux port at some point: if not for the free demo, then for the full game when it is released.

Pseudo_Nym
2018-11-07, 11:46 PM
I'm a big Undertale fan, so I was pretty excited to see this. However, I was dissapointed to see

With no other operating systems mentioned. Hopefully there will be a Linux port at some point: if not for the free demo, then for the full game when it is released.

I've been running it on Linux through WINE acceptably well. I'm confident the full game will get a Linux port, but for the demo we'll probably have to make do.

137beth
2018-11-08, 10:45 PM
I've been running it on Linux through WINE acceptably well. I'm confident the full game will get a Linux port, but for the demo we'll probably have to make do.

Thanks, I'll try doing that this weekend. I'm usually hesitant to buy Windows games even if I hear they work in Wine, because I worry that an update to the game could break compatibility. However, for a free demo it doesn't really matter.