PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Ideas for Magic Lamps and Masks

Yora
2018-11-01, 01:55 PM
I am really fond of both masks and lamps as mystical object in fantasy. They look cool in art and I find them highly evocative when describing scenes and characters. And I also like that these two happen to form a nice opposing contrast, with one being concealing and the other revealing.

So I am thinking of making them common forms that magic items take, instead of going with the standard mainstream swords and rings.

Any cool ideas how masks and lamps could be magically enchanted? The obvious uses for lamps are to show hidden things and to help finding a path. Or the light and smoke might actually scare away certain creatures. Masks are for hiding your idenntity and also thoughts. And maybe looking through a mask could let you see certain things, but I think that would go against the otherwise nice contrast of concealing masks and revealing lamps.
Any other neat ideas for magic items?

MrZJunior
2018-11-01, 02:51 PM
Maybe have a lamp that buffs everyone whose light it falls on. This would add some interesting tactical stuff to combat in tight areas where the light can be interrupted or in situations where you're trying to prevent its light from falling on your enemies.

Thinker
2018-11-01, 03:32 PM
Divination using the lamp's smoke comes to mind. It reveals what's happening in another time or place. Maybe a lamp to discover an obstacle's weakness. Masks don't only hide things. They also protect. So, maybe a mask that shields its wearer from the elements. Another to obscure motives.

hotflungwok
2018-11-01, 03:43 PM
Maybe have a lamp that buffs everyone whose light it falls on. This would add some interesting tactical stuff to combat in tight areas where the light can be interrupted or in situations where you're trying to prevent its light from falling on your enemies.
Or a Bane Lantern, that gives all (ranger foe) in the light (30' or so?) -X to hit/AC/save/STR/etc. Oh, and the lantern needs hair or a few drops of blood or a scale or something from the (ranger foe) burning along with the oil to function.

MrZJunior
2018-11-02, 08:36 AM
Or a Bane Lantern, that gives all (ranger foe) in the light (30' or so?) -X to hit/AC/save/STR/etc. Oh, and the lantern needs hair or a few drops of blood or a scale or something from the (ranger foe) burning along with the oil to function.

What's a (ranger foe)?

hotflungwok
2018-11-02, 10:30 AM
What's a (ranger foe)?
Sorry, meant favored enemy. Like, one of the entries from the ranger's favored enemy list.

lunaticfringe
2018-11-02, 11:29 PM
A lamp that sheds light visible only to creatures with Darkvision.

A lamp that creates an anti-life shell when lit.

A gorgon/Medusa mask that gives you the ability to cast Flesh to Stone 1/day.

(or do similar things in the system you are using it it isn't D&Dish)

Yora
2018-11-03, 02:56 AM
Some really neat ideas. I like them.

Kami2awa
2018-11-03, 03:48 AM
Surprised no one has mentioned the genie in the lamp yet.

How about a lamp that summons a giant moth?

Some serious ideas:

- The Scholar's Lamp: any text illuminated by it is translated into the holder's native language.
- The Light of Truth: reveals invisible objects and illusions.

- The True Face: This mask twists to reflect the true nature of the person wearing it - on a good person it appears beautiful, on an evil person it becomes demonic and ugly. Might or might not alter the person's actual face.
- The White Mask: Placed on a person, this nearly featureless cursed mask greatly reduces their individuality and free will, making them much easier to command (either by mundane or magical means). Will rolls are needed for the wearer to remove it, and the mask itself makes this difficult.
- The Mask without Iron: A simple black velvet domino mask (a "burglar mask" that conceals only the area around the eyes). While wearing it, no one can recognise the wearer and will find it difficult to even remember their presence afterwards.

Manga Shoggoth
2018-11-03, 04:31 AM
And, of course, a lantern that magically produces pictures on a wall.

Yora
2018-11-03, 06:26 AM
I actually think the summoning lamp is the best idea by far yet. :smallbiggrin:

Frozen_Feet
2018-11-03, 10:51 AM
The obvious magical use of a mask is to take on aspects of whatever creature or person the mask resembles. So if you put on a demon mask, you become a demon.

Such masks would ideally, through law of contagion, have a connection with the things they resemble - the demon mask, f. ex., might've been made from a demon's skin.

The danger of such masks could be taking the impersonation too far - the wearer forgetting who they are under the mask and hence becoming it for good.

For lamps, their purposes are to illuminate, to blind and to signal information. So you could have a lamp which shows the safe path for the virtuous, but leads the wicked astray. Though it's also interesting to ask how a lamp would do any of this. A candle and a flashlight both shed might, but the mechanism through which they do it differs and has different applications in a pinch.

So let's think of some more exotic power sources for a lamp. It could be a prison for a djinn or ifirit, who might be either a loyal servant or a dangerous foe if released, like in classic tales. It could be a mirror of captured moonlight, triggering lycantrophy or revealing special dwarven sigils. It could be a portal to some faraway sun, shining ultraviolet or infrared light instead of the common spectrum. It could be the severed eye of a Kryptonian, shooting beams of heat or x-rays. Or a radioactive rock held in a lead frame which slowly makes the bearer ill with radiation sickness.

Pleh
2018-11-03, 12:47 PM
The obvious magical use of a mask is to take on aspects of whatever creature or person the mask resembles. So if you put on a demon mask, you become a demon.

Or you just gain minor powers of a demon, like fire resistance and a frightful presence.

I do like the reference to Majora's Mask implied here. Not concealing you, but "putting on" the essence of another creature.

Not all lamps need to be about revealing things. They can be about spreading an effect in a radius. A lamp could create any of the "fog/cloud" type spells.

Yora
2018-11-03, 12:48 PM
Sweet! That opens the door to an entire magic system.

Max_Killjoy
2018-11-03, 01:34 PM
The radius of bright light from the lamp could also encompass / project a protection effect, keeping whatever sort of creature at bay.

Especially fitting if you're going with the "black depths of the forest" atmosphere discussed in the other threads.

Take it to the extreme, and think of the scenes in Pitch Black where the little light someone has is the only thing keeping the horde of ripping tearing ravenous starving predators at bay, lurking there just outside the meager radius of light, waiting for it to go out...

Dr paradox
2018-11-04, 03:32 AM
I came up with an item I called simply "The Ghost Lamp." It had a whole setting specific thing and a history of use, but it's main ability is that any spectral undead in its (relatively small) bright light radius was automatically rendered visible and corporeal. This meant players could corner a ghost and grapple it to force it into an exorcism, or at least a magic circle, and once I had some wraiths slam face-first into a wall over and over again, not smart enough to understand they couldn't pass through stone anymore.

The Hand of Glory is a classic. I'd make it so some number of people can attune to it, and only those attuned can see the light the hand gives off.

Yora
2018-11-04, 04:48 AM
I had totally forgotten about that. But it really is a lamp for all intents and purposes.

PastorofMuppets
2018-11-08, 10:58 AM
Featureless masks that come in pairs. When the user puts one mask on the face of an inanimate statue and wears the other one they activate. The users mask changes into the material of the statue and the statue’s mask becomes the user’s face and animates under direct control. The users body stiffens in its current pose and the animated statue is effectively their new body with all the durability of whatever material it is made from until the mask is removed from one of them.

hotflungwok
2018-11-08, 11:26 AM
The was a type of mask I read about in 2nd Ed I liked. A group of elven rangers would wear masks they made themselves from wood & other natural materials. The masks could be fitted with various customizations, like placing magical lenses in the eye sockets, or a satchet of purifying herbs in front of the mouth & nose to give a bonus vs inhaled poisons, etc.

Since each mask was unique, the owner could be identified by it. So if the players came across one, and wore it openly, they would eventually get a visit from a group of powerful rangers who were really keen to find out how they happened to come by their friend's mask, and where he might be now.

Eldan
2018-11-08, 11:55 AM
As an addition to taking on features of a mask, how about taking on, let's call them social aspects. Go into the carneval theme.

Imagine a mask, let's call it The Green Man Mask. Or some other sufficient symbol of wildness/barbarity. While you are wearing it, people will forgive you social trespasses. You can be rude to the king, eat with your hands, talk during a ceremony, all those things, and no one will bat an eye.

The mask of the Philosopher. Whatever you say, people will consider it as a piece of profound, if perhaps weird, philosophy. Not that they'll do what you say, but they will think about it.

Max_Killjoy
2018-11-08, 12:27 PM
BTW, Yora, this has been a good thread for me, too, as there's a culture that I'm trying to work out masks as an element for -- more in terms of cultural and social norms, expected behavior, etc, than in the magic side, but talking about the details always helps.

They're a notably high-context culture (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-context_and_low-context_cultures), with language and behavior to match. There's a lot of implication and metaphor and multiple layers of meaning in each thing said, and the underlying meanings and messages are to be understood while not explicitly spoken.

Likewise, with the masks, it's supposed to be understood who it is that's behind the mask, and it's expected that you'll imply and signal that you know, but it is considered "uncouth" to simply say it.

So a conversation between two people from this culture, wearing masks, would seem to an outsider to be about one thing, or about nothing, while underneath they were "saying" a lot to each other and quite clearly.

Yora
2018-11-08, 02:15 PM
That had me think of this:

https://i.stack.imgur.com/ISfiA.png

(Game of Thrones)

:smallamused:

Honest Tiefling
2018-11-08, 03:41 PM
I don't know why, but a lamp to drive people insane was the first idea that popped into my head. Perhaps because it could easily explain why some mines are 'haunted' if someone swapped out an ordinary lamp for one of these. It could simply enhance normal paranoia and fears or make illusory things in the corner of one's sight.

Through if lamps are such a big deal in this culture...Maybe you should ask what the hell is hiding in the darkness. Perhaps there's a reason lamps became so important.

As for masks, are you talking full face masks or partial masks? I mean, few cultural practices arise for no reason at all. What did people of this culture have to hide at first? What if the founders of the culture weren't entirely human, but figured masks could hide their differences long enough to spread into the 'normal' population. Or a plague that was disfiguring, but granted magical powers. Or a race, benign or not, that didn't exactly like the sun.

Bohandas
2018-11-10, 01:02 AM
A lamp that moves the light level toward a certain level. Like, if it's dark it works like a normal lamp, but if its very bright out it makes the area darker

Bohandas
2018-11-10, 01:57 AM
comedy and tragedy masks that cast good hope and crushing despair on their wearers, respectively

Bastian Weaver
2018-11-10, 03:28 AM
Okay, here comes my superheroic fanboyism.
A green lamp that has several powers. It lets the owner cast Detect Evil. Also, it can cast Fear on evil creatures. And it can power another magical item, say, a green mask, when it's exposed to the lamp's light.
The mask, in turn, gives the wearer control over green-colored items (I imagine plant control would be useful). Beware its yellow vulnerability.

Pleh
2018-11-10, 05:35 AM
Okay, here comes my superheroic fanboyism.
A green lamp that has several powers. It lets the owner cast Detect Evil. Also, it can cast Fear on evil creatures. And it can power another magical item, say, a green mask, when it's exposed to the lamp's light.
The mask, in turn, gives the wearer control over green-colored items (I imagine plant control would be useful). Beware its yellow vulnerability.

Special vulnerability to fear effects?

Bastian Weaver
2018-11-10, 05:42 AM
Special vulnerability to fear effects?

Absolutely! I think some kind of Will saving throw would be required.

JAL_1138
2018-11-10, 08:18 AM
A lamp that only illuminates magical effects, like glyphs, wards, magic items, etc., sort of a Detect Magic spell in item form. Maybe it could even illuminate things Detect Magic couldn’t, so maybe also functioning as a Lantern of Revealing, or seeing through Nondetection and Nystul’s Magic Aura.

For any of the magic lamps in this thread, the utility could be limited by a difficult-to-obtain or even morally-questionable consumable fuel, like Aboleth oil or unicorn tallow.

TheYell
2018-11-10, 10:37 AM
Craft Magic Candle -- Should have 50 rounds burn time, emits a spell effect. Could cost comparable to a wand.

Simple Magic Lantern -- holds a magic candle with a 360 degree effect area, 40' radius

Bullseye Magic Lantern -- holds a magic candle, 40' cone effect area

Obscuring mask -- makes you immune to magic candle effects

Pleh
2018-11-10, 10:53 AM
Craft Magic Candle -- Should have 50 rounds burn time, emits a spell effect. Could cost comparable to a wand.

Simple Magic Lantern -- holds a magic candle with a 360 degree effect area, 40' radius

Bullseye Magic Lantern -- holds a magic candle, 40' cone effect area

Obscuring mask -- makes you immune to magic candle effects

Add in a power ranking, such as Least, Lesser, Greater. A Lesser magic candle reveals Least obscuring masks and so forth. A Magic Candle is obscured by a mask of the same level unless the user succeeds on a UMD check DC based on the mask's effective spell level.

LibraryOgre
2018-11-10, 10:57 AM
Earthdawn's Mask of Oltion is fun, if only for the restrictions on using it. You have to always have to refer to it out of character as the Mask of Oltion, but never refer to it in character as the Mask of Oltion.

peteramthor
2018-11-11, 05:30 PM
I posted this up on my blog a while back. Hope it helps you out.

20 random magic effects for masks.

1. Silent and forgotten. Whenever you are wearing the mask and being silent nobody notices or remembers you as you pass through.

2. The Thieves Friend. Anyone who is a trained thief has their ability to detect traps and secret passages increased.

3. Word of God. Any person of strong devotional faith (cleric, priest, etc) who speaks to the flock while wearing this has the ability to sway them to do whatever they say.

4. Relax. While wearing the mask anybody is automatically calmer, doesn't panic and succeeds automatically at any tests of morale, fear, etc.

5. Nightmare Fuel. Those around you that gaze upon the mask are filled with a since of fear and dread. They will avoid you at all costs and have nightmares about you that night.

6. You Again. People see you as someone they saw previously that day

7. Readers Delight. When you view other written common languages they are translated over in to the language you are most fluent in.

8. Golden Voice. You gain the ability to sing extremely well, equal to that of many famous bards. It does not, however, help you remember the lyrics.

9. Listen Well. If you concentrate you can listen in on any conversation within the room you are in.

10. Death Is Among Us. When you look upon something undead you see a black thick smoke pouring from them.

11. Loving Memories. Whenever you talk to somebody they suddenly have memories of you being their long lost lover who they will do nearly anything for.

12. Watch Your Back. You can see as if you have eyes in the back of your head along with your regular vision. Will require some practice to get used to this.

13. Finely Dressed. An illusion is cast and you appear to be dressed in the finest clothing.

14. Steady On. You cannot be disoriented, magically confused, or lose your sense of direction.

15. Easily Rested. Any time you are able to relax or simply not be physically active counts as sleep and helps you feel refreshed.

16. Silence The Lies. When anyone tells a lie all you can hear is muffled noises.

17. Not So Silent. You hear the sound of jingling bells whenever anyone is trying to sneak up on you.

18. Open Mouth. The mouth of the mask can be opened up and acts like a bag of holding. Only works while you are wearing it.

19. Side Stepped. People who look at you actually see you a few inches off from where you really are. Makes it very hard to be hit with missile weapons.

20. Memory Bank. You can focus and store a memory into the mask, the next person who puts it on then gains that memory.

ImNotTrevor
2018-11-11, 09:05 PM
Funeral Mask:
When a person of great importance dies, their face is preserved as a mask. Those who acquire and wear the mask may be asked questions about the deceased, who will answer 1d4 questions per day about their life through the mask's wearer.

Covering of Wilderness:
Those who put on this wooden mask soon find themselves coated in vines and leaves, granting them a bonus to hiding in woodland areas.

Mask of Vermin:
This plain wooden mask appears to have no special traits until it is worn. Once worn, the wearer will find themselves covered in a swarm of vermin.
The wearer is transformed into an equivalently-sized swarm of vermin for 1d6 minutes. During this time they retain their intelligence and can move the entire swarm as if it were still one entity, but cannot utilize any of their equipment, abilities, or spellcasting.

Mask of Stormcalling:
This mask made of copper and polished iron is fashioned in the shape of a bearded man singing reverently, with lightning-bolt emblems forming a crown around the top.
When an individual wears this mask, they may make 1 Perform (sing) test per day, with the following effects:

5 and below: The wearer receives 1d6 Lightning damage.
6-10: The wearer may make a ranged touch attack as a free action to deal 1d10 Lightning damage.
11-15: Cast Lightning Bolt as a 4th level caster.
16-20: Cast Lightning Bolt as a 6th level caster.
21-30: Cast Chain Lightning as an 8th level caster.

Mask of Longsight:
This mask functions as a telescope, as well as granting a +2 bonus to all perception tests.

That's what I have for now.

Concrete
2018-11-12, 05:17 AM
One of my players was given "The Dark lantern". It functioned as an everburning dark lantern, but when you closed the shutter, it actually cast darkness as the spell (Pathfinder)

Another item was the "Nr.3 Sewerman Mask" Looking like a sturdier plague doctors mask, it gave some resistance to disease, and had a permanent light spell cast on an amulet in a closeable compartment.

Whyrocknodie
2018-11-12, 06:15 AM
A lamp that disguises itself as an exact duplicate of any lamp it is left next to. A lamp that when extinguished also extinguishes the sun (this is my favourite one).

A lamp that when lit transforms into a mask! And when the mask is worn, it transforms into a lamp.

PastorofMuppets
2018-11-15, 08:58 AM
For a lamp, the Light of Faith. They are made to honor specific gods and in the hands of the faithful function as both a bullseye lantern with no need of fuel and holy symbol. For non worshippers it’s is a finely made lantern that they feel an odd compulsion to keep polished and in good condition. If one worships a being opposed to the god it was made for the lantern never seems to shine all that bright, squeaks annoyingly when opened/closed and gets annoyingly but not damagingly hot when in use.

Resileaf
2018-11-15, 10:16 AM
The mask of the Vampire: A cursed mask that when worn, drinks the wearer's blood and dominates their mind. However, should they succeed a will and fortitude save to tame the mask's power, the wearer is instead transformed into a vampire themselves.

LibraryOgre
2018-11-15, 11:06 AM
You could always have a magic lantern that can be used to recharge certain rings, like Ring of the Ram or Ring of Shooting Stars.

It would, of course, require a power phrase to activate.

Slightly more seriously, there's the option for a holy symbol of the Eternal Lantern, from Tellene/Kingdoms of Kalamar. The Eternal Lantern opposes the undead in all their forms, so one that constantly turns undead, or at least erects a safe space from them, would be a great artifact from them.

Jay R
2018-11-15, 11:41 AM
When you are out in the dark with a lantern, it seems like you and anybody with you are cut off from the darkness. I'd go with it and use the lantern as a ward, or perhaps an area effect spell. A mass heal that takes an hour makes sense.

And I strongly urge you to go see the Jim Carrey movie, The Mask. Even if you don't use any ideas from it, telling your players that a mask is from Loki will invoke that idea.

Ideas vaguely based on that movie include:
Whatever your alignment before putting it on, it is now one of the extremes: LG, LE, CG, CE.
When you are wearing the mask, you have the abilities of a different character class.
Somebody else is trapped in the mask, and when you put it on, that person has control of your body. He or she won't choose to take it off. [Or when he or she takes it off, he is in your body and you are stuck in the mask until somebody else puts it on.]
Any body-affecting power, from shapechange to protection from normal missiles to a buff. Perhaps a "mask of wonder" gives one such power at random.

Bohandas
2018-12-24, 02:18 AM
When you are out in the dark with a lantern, it seems like you and anybody with you are cut off from the darkness. I'd go with it and use the lantern as a ward, or perhaps an area effect spell. A mass heal that takes an hour makes sense.

And I strongly urge you to go see the Jim Carrey movie, The Mask. Even if you don't use any ideas from it, telling your players that a mask is from Loki will invoke that idea.

Ideas vaguely based on that movie include:
Whatever your alignment before putting it on, it is now one of the extremes: LG, LE, CG, CE.
When you are wearing the mask, you have the abilities of a different character class.
Somebody else is trapped in the mask, and when you put it on, that person has control of your body. He or she won't choose to take it off. [Or when he or she takes it off, he is in your body and you are stuck in the mask until somebody else puts it on.]
Any body-affecting power, from shapechange to protection from normal missiles to a buff. Perhaps a "mask of wonder" gives one such power at random.

In Son of the Mask it was stated that the mask granted the wearer the powers of Loki, so perhaps it could apply the Divine Aspect template from Holy Orders of the Stars when worn, with the spell-like abilities taken from the chaos and trickery domains

lightningcat
2018-12-24, 10:31 AM
Two lamps that I have used in games produced a Zone of Truth or an area that calmed emotions to prevent combat.

Beleriphon
2018-12-24, 11:27 AM
I rather like the idea of a lantern that shines a light that can show the acts associate with strong emotions. Shine the light and get a spectral pantomime of what happened there.

Bohandas
2018-12-24, 11:39 AM
Oh, I just remembered this tying I came up with

Tasha's Hideous Applause Light
This device consists of a lanetrn in a large box mounted on a wall. One side of the box is made of clear glass and on it is written the word "LAUGH" in large block letters. The rest of the box is opaque and etched with mystic runes. When the lantern is lit, illuminating the sign, anybody within 35 feet looking on the sign (treat as a gaze attack in a semicircle facing the same direction as the sign) is affected by Tasha's Hideous Laughter (DC 12 resists, CL 4)

Enchantment; CL4; Craft Wondrous Item, Tasha's Hideous Laughter; Price 30000-32000? gp; Weight 35 lbs