PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Elemental wild shape with Pact of the blade

N00gai
2018-11-02, 07:58 AM
So my big idea is to play a moon druid multiclassed into a pact of the blade warlock and elemental wild shape with a pact weapon that I gain proficiency in.

Potentially even being an earth elemental with a commissioned large adamantine maul to smash through walls like the koolaid man.

I would like to have feedback on the idea and with rulings

Potential problems are:
large weapon rulings as a large creature
Siege monster + adamantine weapon interaction
Air/fire/water elementals ability to hold a weapon

This is my first post so apologies for any mistakes I might have made, I read through the rules but I'm kind of new here.

Vogie
2018-11-02, 08:16 AM
Moon Druid + Blade Warlock has always been a fun combo - I usually refer to the pairing as "Gorilla with a Polearm"

However, you'll only be able to summon either normal sized weapons, or a magic large adamantine maul, as you're allowed to use the Bladepact to shunt a magic weapon as a pact weapon via ritual.

Definitely check with your DM on whether or not they would allow Elementals to wield weapons - they naturally only have slam attacks (save Fire, who has a touch attack), so they may rule that they do not have the requisite number of fingers and thumbs.

JackPhoenix
2018-11-02, 09:31 AM
Definitely check with your DM on whether or not they would allow Elementals to wield weapons - they naturally only have slam attacks (save Fire, who has a touch attack), so they may rule that they do not have the requisite number of fingers and thumbs.

https://media-waterdeep.cursecdn.com/avatars/thumbnails/0/317/1000/1000/636252772331779404.jpeg

The illustration certainly doesn't support the elemental's capability of handling a weapon... while it's got fingers, they are too short and stubby to properly grasp anything. Not to mention the lack of joints, though that may be less of a problem for magically moving pile of rocks.

N00gai
2018-11-02, 11:34 AM
Was thinking of holding the maul more like it being through the hand like in the "firmly grasp it" scene from spongebob, as all other elementals have fluidity and the earth glide trait an earth elemental had made me imagine its arm flowing around the handle of the weapon to hold it.

If I somehow manage to convince the DM to let me have a large adamantine maul AND use it, how would an adamantine weapon work with the siege monster trait of the earth elemental. Could I then do
(4d6 + 4d6 from crit + modifiers) x 2 from siege monster, and potentially doubling that with thirsting blade to some poor saps castle wall?

JackPhoenix
2018-11-02, 11:43 AM
If I somehow manage to convince the DM to let me have a large adamantine maul AND use it, how would an adamantine weapon work with the siege monster trait of the earth elemental. Could I then do
(4d6 + 4d6 from crit + modifiers) x 2 from siege monster, and potentially doubling that with thirsting blade to some poor saps castle wall?

Yep. Siege Monster doesn't specify the attack must be made with the elemental's natural weapons (though that is certainly reasonably interpretation and your GM may rule it that way).

Mr.Spastic
2018-11-02, 11:45 AM
My only real problem with this is that it only takes off at level fifteen. Rulings aside, if you have to wait 15 before you get the extra attack it is kind of sad. Also if your that high of a level, you should just stay at druid for the sake of spells like earthquake and tsunami.