PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Magical bonuses to have

King of Nowhere
2018-11-02, 09:27 AM
As my high level, high wealth campaign goes even higher on the wealth, I find that I have no more loot to give to the players, no more tricks to give to the villains. So I'm asking you what kind of bonuses I'm forgetting.
So far I have

+5 enhancement to all weapons (for fighter types), plus extra powers
+5 armor
+5 animated shield (or +3 reflecting animated shield)
+6 enhancement to all relevant stats
+5 resistance to all saving throws
+5 deviation to AC
+5 natural armor
+1 insight to AC from ioun stone
+1 to most rolls from other ioun stone
+10 to concentration checks for casters (I'm not allowing higher in my world)

as for extra powers I have
- fly or equivalent capacity
- see invisibility or better capacity
- teleportation capacity
- rod of greater quickened metamagic (for casters)

all the party, and all their boss enemies, have all of those granted from magic items or class.
From that I'm missing some few more bonuses that I don't want to give:
- +5 inherent bonus to stats from wish (not enough 17th level wizards willing to sell it. Both the party and major opponents have a handful of +1)
- spell-absorbing ioun stone (doesn't exist in my world, I don't want high level magic duels to be a contest to who have more stones)
- ways to break action economy (not available in my world)
- ways to pump caster level up the wazoo (strongly limited in my world)
- ways for fighter-types to get mobile antimagic fields (as I banned most ways to deal with AMF, I also ban easily available AMF).

the party also has a safe base of operation, provided by a friendly power. It's better than anything they could build on their own, and while it requires them to remain friendly with that power, that's not a problem. Major enemies also have safe bases of operation.

So, can you suggest other powers that I could give from magic items, that would be relevant at high level and not covered by one of the above?

Fizban
2018-11-02, 08:52 PM
I expect you meant deflection rather than deviation. The spell absorbing Ioun Stones are actually pretty terrible, thanks to: "The pale lavender and lavender and green stones work like a rod of absorption, but absorbing a spell requires a readied action, and these stones cannot be used to empower spells.", which would make them pretty useless in a magic duel aside from quickened spells. I presume you also ban the proper Rod of Absorption, as it requires no actions and also fuels spells. I find the inclusion of Greater Rods of Quicken spell amusing when other items that break the action economy are not.

Ring of Spell Turning is absent, unless it's included in the no-absorption clauses. No Rings of Counterspells either. No mentions of planar travel or immunities ie: Freedom of Movement, Death Ward, Mind Blank/compulsion, Crits, etc. No underwater or vacuum ability. No energy resistance aside from presumably layers of buff spells.

rferries
2018-11-02, 09:01 PM
Stone of good luck? Homebrew item of greater heroism?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2018-11-02, 10:28 PM
Necessary Magic Items (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?187851-3-5-Lists-of-Necessary-Magic-Items)

MIC p234 has bonuses that can be added to existing items of a particular slot, so you can have your flat bonuses and also an interesting effect.

A skill bonus can be as high as +30 before the epic levels (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/magicItems/basics.htm).

There are a few must-have items like a Necklace of Adaptation. There are a few best-in-that-slot items like a Shirt of Wraith Stalking (MIC). There are a few amazing-if-you-follow-the-rules items like a Hat of Anonymity (MIC) created by a 20th level caster (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicItemBasics.htm#casterLevel) for a DC 35 Nondetection.

The magic item sets in MIC and CC range from decent to awesome.

Eternal Wands (MIC) can be used by anyone capable of casting arcane spells, so you can use one with an off-class spell like Glibness or Hound of Doom (CW).

Contingent Spells, via Craft Contingent Spell (CA), can be quite useful. Keep in mind that Contingency only triggers based on the target's perception, so it can't trigger based on something the caster isn't aware of (surprise attacks) or has no knowledge of (metagame concepts like hp). You can set up a Heal to trigger if you're gravely injured, for example, but if it's set to trigger based on your hp total it never goes off.

Hiring NPC spellcasters (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#spell) for things like Wish (9*17*10 gp, +5 gp per 1 xp cost) is cheaper than buying tomes/manuals of inherent bonuses. A +5 inherent bonus to a stat is 132,650 gp.

They could always find wealth, such as art objects, deeds or titles, etc.

King of Nowhere
2018-11-03, 07:36 PM
I expect you meant deflection rather than deviation. The spell absorbing Ioun Stones are actually pretty terrible, thanks to: "The pale lavender and lavender and green stones work like a rod of absorption, but absorbing a spell requires a readied action, and these stones cannot be used to empower spells.", which would make them pretty useless in a magic duel aside from quickened spells. I presume you also ban the proper Rod of Absorption, as it requires no actions and also fuels spells. I find the inclusion of Greater Rods of Quicken spell amusing when other items that break the action economy are not.

I've been learning the game as I've been DMing this campaign. If I could go back, I'd exclude greater rods of quicken spell, but now that I have introduced them, I stick with them. I also felt I banned too many goodies from the casters, so I'd have to let them have something nice.