PDA

View Full Version : Flavor cantrip

Danielqueue1
2018-11-02, 10:55 AM
So I have an idea for a homebrew cantrip to allow for a character that absolutely hates bugs. I feel like it should be less effective than a normal cantrip than most available, but have some unique features.

Exterminate: cantrip evocation action
Deal 1 necrotic damage to all creatures within 10 feet of you. You can choose to have this spell not effect a number of creatures equal to your spell casting ability modifier+1. This spell ignores cover. A swarm affected by this damage instead takes 2d12 necrotic damage.

At level 5,11,and 17, the area affected increases by 5 feet and the damage done to swarms is increased by 2d12.

There's no attack roll so things like hex wont affect it. And i don't know of any class features that blanket increase necrotic damage. It is not supposed to be powerful, but could clear out infestations quite well, get rid of fleas, and ticks and other flavorful pests, annoy goblins on the other side of doors, while not being powerful enough to ever use against a single enemy other than swarms.

I would love feedback and suggestions

Ganymede
2018-11-02, 11:01 AM
If your player wants something to reflect the fact that he hates bugs, you really don't need to make a wonky cantrip. Just allow him to cast Prestigitation to make his equipment smell like citronella or some other bug-repelling botanical.

Problem solved, and all without making an AOE, double power, automatic hitting cantrip.

(As an aside, remember that hyper-specialization is a terrible way to balance something; a spell that does triple damage against one creature type and half damage against all other types is not balanced even if its damage might average out over time.)

Mr.Spastic
2018-11-02, 11:02 AM
I personally like it a lot for the flavor. I wouldn't take it myself because swarms are not all that common in combat but in the rare instance when your attacked by a swarm of insects, your ready. I would revise it so that you can only target one swarm with the cantrip.

Edit: And give a save maybe?

Man_Over_Game
2018-11-02, 11:03 AM
Word of Radiance would already work, as it's every creature adjacent to you of your choosing.

And then just specify, "I choose every non-mammal, non-avian creature".

Ganymede
2018-11-02, 11:13 AM
Word of Radiance would already work, as it's every creature adjacent to you of your choosing.

And then just specify, "I choose every non-mammal, non-avian creature".

I'm not sure spells are able to divine creature types like that; you have to consciously choose which potential targets you see that you want to be affected.

Why not just say "I choose all those fracking bugs!"?

Man_Over_Game
2018-11-02, 11:17 AM
I'm not sure spells are able to divine creature types like that; you have to consciously choose which potential targets you see that you want to be affected.

Why not just say "I choose all those fracking bugs!"?

You might not see every bug. Using a blanket statement should work, as long as all of them are within your vision.

Notably, certain cantrips specify that they target creatures. Technically, there's nothing stopping you from using your Ray of Frost as a "Detect Mimic" spell, since it states that it targets creatures, not objects.

Ganymede
2018-11-02, 11:20 AM
You might not see every bug. Using a blanket statement should work, as long as all of them are within your vision.

Ok, I'm done. Enjoy your Friday, bro.

Man_Over_Game
2018-11-02, 11:26 AM
Ok, I'm done. Enjoy your Friday, bro.

Mechanically, combat spells are treated with you being able to see everything in a 360 vision. Thematically, your DM might say you can't choose a specific thing that's behind you while selecting something in front of you, or may require you to select an area of the things if it's a less generic selection.

No need to be a jerk, though. We're all just here for a good time.

JackPhoenix
2018-11-02, 11:36 AM
Mechanically, combat spells are treated with you being able to see everything in a 360 vision. Thematically, your DM might say you can't choose a specific thing that's behind you while selecting something in front of you, or may require you to select an area of the things if it's a less generic selection.

No need to be a jerk, though. We're all just here for a good time.

You can't see (or target) things that have full cover. While tiny is the smallest size category in D&D, realistically, achieving cover isn't that hard for a bug.

I wouldn't waste a cantrip on this. Just make it level 1 spell with ritual tag, duration of 8 hours and something like "insects can't get within 10' radius centered on the caster". Magical version of repellents from ToA:
Insect Repellent (block of incense)
Adventuring Gear
1 sp, 1 lb.

Insect repellent can be purchased in Port Nyanzaru in two forms: blocks of incense or a greasy salve. The merchant prince Kwayothe controls the sale of both. Neither kind of repellent protects against giant insects or the vile swarms of insects described in appendix A of the Monster Manual.

When lit, it burns for 8 hours and repels normal insects within a 20-foot-radius centered on it.

Insect Repellent (greasy salve)
Adventuring Gear
1 gp, 1 lb.

Insect repellent can be purchased in Port Nyanzaru in two forms: blocks of incense or a greasy salve. The merchant prince Kwayothe controls the sale of both. Neither kind of repellent protects against giant insects or the vile swarms of insects described in appendix A of the Monster Manual.

A gourd or vial of salve contains 20 applications of odorless grease. One application protects its wearer against normal insects for 24 hours. The salve is waterproof so it doesn't wash off in rain.

Sahe
2018-11-02, 11:37 AM
I think an evocation wizard can add their Int mod to the damage at lvl 10. Which would make it something like 5 to 6 Damage at that level with a decent AOE around you. Granted let's say 6 damage in a 25 foot Sphere around you isn't OP, even when it's auto hit. But it certainly has applications.

You could wipe out a village with that with just a few snaps of your fingers (granted a wizard at that level can do that anyway, but at least they have to sacrifice a spell slot for that)

Even without the Evo-Wizard. There are creatures with only 1 hp that you could quickly and easily kill that way.

Jophiel
2018-11-02, 01:14 PM
For what it's worth (historical value, really) the 1st edition Exterminate cantrip allowed you to kill a single small mouse, insect, spider, etc. For very small creatures, an area of 1/2 cubic foot could be affected (killing lice or fleas, I guess). Creatures polymorphed into insects were immune but it could work on a creature magically shrunk, in its original form, to the appropriate size. I'd put the upper cap at the size of a small mouse.

Danielqueue1
2018-11-02, 02:08 PM
I guess a little context could be helpful. This is specific for a campaign. Oposites are plentiful and non-lethal pvp is encouraged. We have a holier than thou paladin and a "for the EVULS" necromancy wizard. A druid insect focussed character (other post) and an exterminator sorcerer. The DM wanted to give each a special ability that is thematic, this one seemed to be the only one out of balance.

It's not supposed to be used frequently, but really useful when it is. It wont take up a cantrip slot because DM is giving it freely.

The extra damage to swarms is supposed to simulate hitting each creature in the swarm. I will make some suggestions to the DM in that one.

It's the Ignores cover bit that worries me most.

JackPhoenix
2018-11-02, 02:36 PM
In that case, I suggest Fireball or Cloudkill. The first goes around obstacles, the other seeps into those hidden nooks and crannies. Both also deal with the richard who summoned the insects in the first place. But watch out for hellbugs, they are propably immune both to fire and poison.

wilhelmdubdub
2018-11-02, 03:15 PM
It would be funny if the PC took poison spray. If the player had druidcraft I would rule the bugs could be moved away but not take damage.