PDA

View Full Version : Mafia V Mark II - Return of the Narrator Sign-Up Thread

Joosbawx
2007-09-18, 09:54 PM
The Maltese Falcon Returns (a.k.a. Mafia V)

This game is mostly born out of Joosbawx' love of Film Noir, hard-boiled detective stories, and the genre films and novels like The Maltese Falcon exemplify. The rules are close to Classic Werewolf, but I've decided to put in a bit of a twist, so please familiarize yourself with the following and come back as often as you need for reference sake.The object of the game, beyond simple survival, is to obtain the Maltese Falcon for yourself or benefit of your faction. Therefore, there are multiple ways to win the game, depending upon which faction the player belongs.

Co-Narrators: Andre Fairchilde & Joosbawx

Gameplay Notes
------------------
Since the individual object of the game is to obtain the Maltese Falcon, this means that one Citizen cannot implicitly trust another Citizen as s/he may have an ulterior motive in targeting another individual with a lynching vote. At the beginning of the game the Maltese Falcon is randomly given to one player. If and when that player is killed, the Maltese Falcon moves to the individual or group responsible for that players death.

Example 1: 'Player A', a Citizen, has the Maltese Falcon. S/he is killed by the Shadow Agents or Templar Knights during the night. The Maltese Falcon is then randomly assigned to one of the members of the faction responsible for that death. There will usually be some evidence left behind that would indicate that the deceased was in possession of the Maltese Falcon at time of their demise.
Example 2: 'Player A', belonging to any faction, has the Maltese Falcon. S/he is voted against and lynched by 'popular vote'. At time of death, the Maltese Falcon will be obtained by the player that started the bandwagon against 'Player A'.Day game play consists of finding out who was killed, the District Attorney protecting someone from lynching, and finger pointing by the general population for a 'lynching'.

Night game play consists of the District Attorney protecting someone from death, kills by both the Templar Knights and the Shadow Agents, scries or recruitment attempts by the Templar Knights and the Shadow Agents, the scry or kill by The Shadow, the Mole using their ability to hide the true role of one player, the Private "Eye" and the Patsy.

Anytime the person holding the Maltese Falcon is killed the Maltese Falcon is transferred to the person or group responsible for their death. Killing the player holding the Maltese Falcon is the only way to transfer ownership.

Recruitment - When one of the two factions with recruiting ability attempts to recruit a player, that player is sent a PM from the narrator and given the choice to join or refuse the organizations offer. If the player accepts the offer they join the Knights Templar or Shadow Agents as a 'Neonate/Recruit' for the remainder of the game. A player may only be recruited once per game. If a player refuses a recruitment offer by either faction they can still accept an offer made at a later date; however, the faction attempting the recruitment loses the ability to scry that night in lieu of their recruitment attempt, just as if they had recruited successfully.
Characters Exempt from Recruitment: The Shadow, The Fan Boy, any member of Templar Knights, any member of Shadow Agents, the Private "Eye", and The Patsy. If one of these characters is approached for recruitment the faction making the attempt will simply be informed the player refused, and the player will be informed they were approached with a recruitment offer.

Knights Templar
The "Cult" returns, this time wearing the vestments of the Knights Templar. The Holy Order of Knights...or Un-Holy, depending on whom you believe...are not extinct. Their goal is to increase their numbers, and, most importantly, recover the gift they intended for the King of Spain before it disappears again...The Maltese Falcon. They are led and recruited bythe Templar Marshall who is identified (at death) by the signet ring s/he wears. Templar Knights carry nothing to betray their faction when killed. Templar Neonates, or those recruited during the course of the game by Templars, are not as indoctrinated as the older members and may reveal the name of one other Templar when threatened with death...so be careful whom you recruit. The Knights are aided in their quest by the Templar Oracle who has the ability (75% chance) to divine the role of anyone else; however, due to the extensive indoctrination rituals, the Oracle cannot scry on any night the Knights indoctrinate a Neonate.The tenets of the Order of the Knights Templar strictly prohibit anyone from intentionally revealing their membership upon penalty of death.
Winning the game: The Knight Templar win if they successfully eliminate the entire Shadow Agency and obtain the Maltese Falcon, or if their numbers equal the number of non-Templar Knights players.
Templar Marshall - "Master/Alpha Mason". Gives Templars ability to recruit Neonates. Scries as: Templar - Evil.
Templar Oracle - "Mason Seer". Able to scry and discern role of anyone each night, except on night when Templar Knights recruit Neonate. Can see if target currently holds Maltese Falcon. Scries as: Oracle - Evil.

Templar Knight - "Mason". Scries as: Templar - Evil.
Templar Neonate - "Mason Recruit". May reveal name of one other Templar if put to death. Scries as: Templar - Evil.

Shadow Agents
This extensive network of Agents hold allegiance to no one but themselves and their leader, known only as The Fat Man. Each member of the Shadow Agents is hand-picked by The Fat Man, who has the ability to bring in Shadow Recruits; however, like the Templar Neonates, they are not as seasoned as their Agent counterparts and may fold under pressure if threatened with death. The Brain works hand-in-hand with The Fat Man and has the ability (75% chance) to perceive the role of anyone else; however, due to the extensive background checks that must be performed on any Recruit, The Brain cannot scry on any night the Shadow Agents recruit. All Shadow Agents are under strict orders to eliminate any member that intentionally reveals their true allegiance to anyone outside the organization, upon penalty of death.

Winning the Game: The Shadow Agents win if they successfully eliminate the entire Order of the Knights Templar and obtain the Maltese Falcon, or if their numbers equal the number of non-Shadow Agent players.
The Fat Man - "Mafia Don/Alpha". Gives Shadow Agents ability to obtain new Recruits. Scries as: Agent - Evil.
The Brain - "Mafia Seer". Able to scry and discern role of anyone each night, except on night when Agents recruit. Can see if target currently holds the Maltese Falcon. Scries as: The Brain - Evil.
Shadow Agent - "Mafia". Scries as: Agent - Evil.
Shadow Recruit - "Mafia Recruit". May reveal name of one other Agent if put to death. Scries as: Agent - Evil.

The CitizensThese are the everyday members of society. They usually play by the rules and follow the law; however, that isn't to say that when an opportunity comes along to get a leg up they wouldn't take advantage. The goal of the Citizenry is to get rid of the Shadow Agents and Knights Templar...if, you know, you actually believe in that sort of myth and legend. The Citizens are the pool of potential members the Shadow Agents and Knights Templar may recruit...unless, of course, the Templars or Agents accidentally try to recruit each other. The citizens are really in the game for themselves to survive, and score the Maltese Falcon for themselves if possible, or align themselves with an underground faction if they are approached and choose to join.

Winning the Game: The Citizens win if they successfully eliminate both the Knights Templar and the Shadow Agency. Additionally, a citizen can score a personal win (and a cool signature award!!!) if survive holding the Maltese Falcon at the end of the game.
The Private "Eye" - "Seer". Has completely accurate ability to discern the role of anyone in the game. Scries as: Private "Eye" - Good. Cannot be recruited.
The Patsy - "Fool". Has 25% chance of accurately discerning the role of anyone in the game. Scries as: Private "Eye" - Good. Cannot be recruited.
District Attorney - "Baner". Has ability to us her/his influence to protect any player each day and night from lynching or attack. This role has to send in a PM for Joosbawx for each game day and game night. This role can be recruited by the Templars or Agents. Scries as: District Attorney - Good/Evil (if recruited successfully).
The Mole - "Illusionist/Witch". Has the ability to alter the perceived role of any player when investigated by the Oracle, The Brian, The Patsy, or the Private "Eye". If target is scried, the role defined by The Mole will be the role perceived. Scries as: The Mole - Good/Evil (if recruited successfully).
Citizen - "Villager". Scries as: Citizen - Good.
Sam Spade & Effie - "The Lovers". The Lovers play together and win if they survive the game. If either lover is lynched or attacked, the other Lover is killed also, regardless of faction membership. Lovers are recruited independently, but still remain Lovers. Scries as: Lover - Good.

The ShadowWho knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow knows. This role is special, and stands for Truth, Justice, and the Citizen Way. In this character's eyes anyone can be corrupted...except The Shadow. Therefore, nobody is to be trusted...except The Shadow. Nobody can bring the wrongdoers to justice...except The Shadow. This character acts outside the law in order to destroy all Evil. As a result, he is wanted by both sides of the law and cannot reveal his identity under pain of death to anyone. This character cannot be recruited. The Shadow has three special abilities, and may choose to use either one on any night s/he chooses.

Six times during the game The Shadow may use her/his super-sleuth ability with 100% accuracy to determine any player's alignment...Good or Evil. Secondly, The Shadow has six bullets with which to dispense Justice to those s/he deems as Evil. Thirdly, The Shadow has the ability to protect someone from from attack during the night...much the same as the District Attorney. The Shadow may choose to investigate, kill, protect, or do nothing, and must send PM to Joosbawx each game night.

Alternatively, The Fan Boy believe s/he is The Shadow and has all the same abilities, but simply isn't and doesn't. The Fan Boy acts as though s/he is The Shadow, but, due to the lack of super-sleuth ability and training of any (real) kind, The Fan Boy has only a nominal chance of doing any real good at all...except for helping to hide the real Shadow, perhaps. Due to the obsessive nature of this character, s/he, when scried, shows as The Shadow, also.

Winning the Game: The Shadow wins if s/he survives the game and both the Templar Knights and Shadow Agency are eliminated.
The Shadow - "?????". Scries as: The Shadow.
FanBoy - "anti-?????". Scries as: The Shadow.

Current List of Players (31)
- Updated: Monday, September 24th -

Androgial
Alarra
Almighty Salmon
Atreyu the Masked Llama
Crystall Myr
CurlyKitGirl
Eldritch Knight
EmeraldRose
Emporer Demonking
Endeavourl
evnafets
Fleeing Coward
Freshmeat
Helgraf
HyramGraff
Jontom Xire
Khaldan
Korias
Kyrian
Malmagor Andrigal
North
radikalskippy
Raiser B1ade
Raldor
S.Hadow
Supagoof
Timberwolf
Traveling Angel
Vonriel
whitehelm
Zar Peter

evnafets
2007-09-18, 10:04 PM
Joins up again.

Andre Fairchilde
2007-09-18, 10:09 PM
I'm in, and volunteer to co-narrate.

Skippy
2007-09-18, 10:12 PM
In again, as well.

Helgraf
2007-09-18, 10:30 PM
Ahh hell ... I'm not fond on restarting but I refuse to miss out on Mafia.

Traveling_Angel
2007-09-18, 10:43 PM
Five WW games it is.

Khaldan
2007-09-18, 11:01 PM
*joins, then stabs joos for not staying with that game and letting khal stay as the shadow*

Alarra
2007-09-18, 11:05 PM
I don't have time. I have no time. I....I love mafia so much, so I have to sign up again. :smallfrown:

whitehelm
2007-09-18, 11:05 PM
I'm rejoining. For those curious, I was the Fat Man, Hyramgraff was The Brain, and Eldritch Knight and Space-is-Curved were the other Shadow Knights. Our first kill was going to be Andre.

Raiser Blade
2007-09-18, 11:25 PM
I'm in.

FYI i was a templar knight.

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2007-09-19, 12:01 AM
I'm in. I was The Alpha Wolf last game.

V Nope, I mean werewolf. Rar! I didn't have the power to killl or recruit, though.

Traveling_Angel
2007-09-19, 12:17 AM
I was one of the Lovers.

^ I assume you mean the Templar Alpha, remember there are two Wolf groups in this game.

Zar Peter
2007-09-19, 12:37 AM
I'm in, I was the piano man. :smallbiggrin:

Shadow
2007-09-19, 12:57 AM
I don't rally have time for this either, but I can't resist Mafia.
I can't even bring myself to say anything about starting 2 games at once....
We are restarting this one after all.... [/self justification]

In.

And I was the Ice Cream Truck Driver for the last one.
*grumbles about how he never got to use his special night-time ability....*

Helgraf
2007-09-19, 01:14 AM
Sadly, I was just a citizen. No special sprinkles. Though that usually ups my life expectancy by a few turns. ;)

Vonriel
2007-09-19, 02:17 AM
I'm in. Despite some attempted-subtlety to the opposite, I was naught but a simple villager last time.

The Valiant Turtle
2007-09-19, 05:16 AM
I'm in!

I was the Shadow (or maybe just the fanboy). I was really looking forward to that.

Andre Fairchilde
2007-09-19, 06:02 AM
I'm rejoining. For those curious, I was the Fat Man, Hyramgraff was The Brain, and Eldritch Knight and Space-is-Curved were the other Shadow Knights. Our first kill was going to be Andre.

What! Why? I was a simple citizen. No Falcon, nothing.

Is it because my name starts with an "A"? What was the logic?

Korias
2007-09-19, 06:16 AM
I too, was a simple citizen. Alas... I am in once again.

Almighty Salmon
2007-09-19, 06:37 AM
I'm in, but not looking forward to losing my role :smallfrown:

I was the Templar Marshall.

Fleeing Coward
2007-09-19, 06:47 AM
I'm in if a first day sacrificial lamb is needed.

Pwenet
2007-09-19, 07:42 AM
I am in as well.

An I was The Oracle for the Knights Templar. Again I didn't get to do anything nifty.

Jontom Xire
2007-09-19, 08:24 AM
Count me in (again).

Joosbawx
2007-09-19, 09:30 AM
Player list updated, and Andre Fairchild has been invited to co-narrate as the first post indicates.

More players!

Castaras
2007-09-19, 09:31 AM
I was either the Seer or the Fool role.

Which is why I told you lot not to lynch me! :smalltongue:

And I was gonna scry Supagoof...

Oh, and I'm in again.

Almighty Salmon
2007-09-19, 09:35 AM
I was either the Seer or the Fool role.

Which is why I told you lot not to lynch me! :smalltongue:

And I was gonna scry Supagoof...

Oh, and I'm in again.

Heh, we were actually going to kill you Castaras :smallbiggrin:

Dammit, we would've gotten the seer/fool..

Timberwolf
2007-09-19, 10:07 AM
IN !

I was the other Seer / Fool. Which one of us was which Joos ?

Andre Fairchilde
2007-09-19, 10:32 AM
Get ready. A little motivation... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcDAPjRvjAE)

Emperor Demonking
2007-09-19, 10:47 AM
I'm in this game.

Madmal
2007-09-19, 10:47 AM
Hey, 'tis been less than a tide, dasn't hury th' swabbies! some o' us be havin' exams t' do:smalltongue:

((and darned people, i was The Mole!! you just ruined my plans to mess with you!))

btw, in.

Shadow
2007-09-19, 11:00 AM
Taking notes last game were you?

Supagoof
2007-09-19, 11:03 AM
Why scry me?

Just curious who in the network was spreading the rumors is all. I dropped a few hints to my role to certain people....

I was the Baner!

Andre Fairchilde
2007-09-19, 11:09 AM
Why scry me?

Just curious who in the network was spreading the rumors is all. I dropped a few hints to my role to certain people....

I was the Baner!

...Aparrently the wrong people too. I was up for a whackin'.

Joosbawx
2007-09-19, 11:15 AM
Are you in again, Supagoof?

Supagoof
2007-09-19, 12:07 PM
...Aparrently the wrong people too. I was up for a whackin'.

Heh, you would have been in trouble.....:smallwink:

And Joosbawx, hmmm...
Let's see

YOW2 seems to be getting stablized...
LLD is scheduled to start in Mid October...
Hogwarts is underway...
Sanity is still intact...mostly...

yep, I'll give it another go.

CurlyKitGirl
2007-09-19, 12:45 PM
Rejoins once more.

Vonriel
2007-09-19, 12:50 PM
A quick note, Joos. When will this start? Because I'm going to be out of town through Sunday, and might miss out on some RP if it starts before I get back.

Scratch that, I'm not going on vacation after all.

Joosbawx
2007-09-19, 03:34 PM
the Vampire game sounds like it will be starting Monday-ish...so I'll be giving that game a buffer before beginning this one.

whitehelm
2007-09-19, 04:17 PM
Andre: Something you said over MSN made me think you were the Shadow. Obviously I was wrong..oh well.

Pwenet
2007-09-19, 08:17 PM
I am going to have to go against the grain and bow out of this game sadly.

Sudden news this afternoon that is changing my schedule massively (I start working FINALLY on October 1st) and don't want to juggle too many things while jumping back into the workforce.

Best of luck to everyone! I'll try to follow along.

Andre Fairchilde
2007-09-19, 08:44 PM
"Thats Ok. We've got a set of concrete overshoes just your size. (Points at Pwenet.)

Madmal
2007-09-19, 08:46 PM
Taking notes last game were you?

if that was for me:

yes, i was actually paying attention this time.

Shadow
2007-09-19, 09:14 PM
Yeah, that was for you.
Too bad I didn't get to see you in action....:smallwink:

Eldritch Knight
2007-09-19, 09:57 PM
In. (And thanks everyone for their assistance in a writing project of mine. These games give a LOT of ideas...)

Crystall_Myr
2007-09-20, 08:08 PM
In, again. Maybe I'll get a role this time. :smallsmile:

Kyrian
2007-09-20, 08:09 PM
*signs up* Let's try to finish it this time, ok? I'd like to do Mafia IV sometime this year ;P

EmeraldRose
2007-09-22, 09:34 PM
Hmm...apparently Andre already did me the honor of a character cameo in his old posts of the other Mafia thread. So, with a ready made character of the ex-wife...

I'm in.

Supagoof
2007-09-22, 10:08 PM
In, again. Maybe I'll get a role this time. :smallsmile:

Tell you what. If I get one I'll give it to you. :smallamused:

Vonriel
2007-09-22, 10:44 PM
*signs up* Let's try to finish it this time, ok? I'd like to do Mafia IV sometime this year ;P

I like how Mafia IV comes after Mafia V. Makes us really look like we can count, y'know? "One, two, three, five, four, six..." :smalltongue:

Endeavourl
2007-09-23, 03:20 AM
I'll sign up.

androgial
2007-09-24, 01:08 AM
ill sign up

North
2007-09-24, 01:38 AM
Yeah Ill resign up.

Kyrian
2007-09-24, 06:40 AM
I like how Mafia IV comes after Mafia V. Makes us really look like we can count, y'know? "One, two, three, five, four, six..." :smalltongue:

Shh! I refuse to have to change the name. :smallbiggrin: :smallwink: :smallcool: :smalltongue:

Supagoof
2007-09-24, 10:05 AM
I'm going to throw a twist into this one then, since it seems so ironically out of order.

Graklok will be playing the role of Supagoof.

Return of the ogre, in film noir style, should be fun!

Tanks Supagoof. Graklok tink dat game number is wight. Like Graklok learn to count. One, too, fwee, five, four, eight, mmm, Graklok ate nachos....

Andre Fairchilde
2007-09-24, 10:08 AM
Joos and I talked last night - we're probably going to let the sign up go for a little longer and let some of the other games start. Look for sign up to end in *around* two weeks (date will be edited in) and start date to be shortly after that (date to be edited in).

Vonriel
2007-09-24, 11:42 AM
Andre... don't look now, but I think someone has chemically altered your teeth to emit a shiny sparkle. Just a heads up, so you don't blind ER during your date later. :smallwink:

Freshmeat
2007-09-24, 12:22 PM
Count me in.

Madmal
2007-09-24, 01:13 PM
Yeah, that was for you.
Too bad I didn't get to see you in action....:smallwink:

meh, it would have needed certain people to follow the asumptions i have about them, then some secret messaging...and then, all was mostly conjetures depending on these results...

It was a quite loosed plan without an actual planification. i'm pretty sure i'd have gotten myself killed pretty early.:smalltongue:

HyramGraff
2007-09-28, 10:53 AM
I'm not sure how I missed this signup before. I'm in.

Cult_of_the_Raven
2007-09-29, 09:54 AM
I'm in as well.

Andre Fairchilde
2007-09-29, 11:13 AM
Need to talk to Joos first and make sure his schedule is ok with this, but probably on or shortly after October 10th. Am not sure when we'll close sign up, so all players go forth and intimidate new board members to join (Khaldan this means you!)

Castaras
2007-10-01, 12:57 PM
Gonna have to back out of this one guys. Sorry.

Joosbawx
2007-10-01, 01:15 PM
Sorry to hear that, Castaras. Come back when you can!

The schedule above sounds perfectly fine to me, so we'll plan on closing Sign-Up on Tuesday, October 9th @ Noon Central Time (US). That should give us time to get out the roles, create the posts, etc. In an ideal world, I'd like to have 40 for the game, but even if we had to roll with what we have now it will be fun.

Keep signing up, please!

Andre Fairchilde
2007-10-08, 11:53 AM
The night is oily. After the rain, a light mist hovers in the air like a curtain. The rain was heavy and sudden, puddles still line the streets. There are many sounds, a horse carriage pulls a couple of loud, drunken salesmen from one bar to their parts unknown. The horns from the harbor announce their passing as they pass through the straights and away from the city.

From around the corner a pair headlights come into view, but the form is indistinct until it nears. The car – a black police squad car – slows to a crawl and the door opens while it is still moving. A form is kicked out of the squadcar, who tumbles and rolls into the wet, dirty gutter with a thud..

The semi-conscious form of disgraced ex-cop Andrew Fairchilde stir on the ground.

A note is pinned to his chest:
Mafia V sign up ends Tuesday, October 9. Roles to be assigned Oct 10-11, and game start on Oct 12.

Trix
2007-10-09, 11:31 AM
Has it started? Can i isgn up?

Andre Fairchilde
2007-10-09, 11:32 AM
Has not started, you are signed up!

Andre Fairchilde
2007-10-12, 09:45 PM
And sign up is closed.

Sorry for the double post.

I will have roles out shortly, just need to figure out how many of each...

Andre Fairchilde
2007-10-12, 11:34 PM
And roles are out.

As October 13 is the anniversary of the Knights Templar - I'll try to get the thread posted tomorrow.

Andre Fairchilde
2007-10-13, 09:59 AM
Link to game thread here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59665).

Last bump!