PDA

View Full Version : Psionoid (Race)

JackMage666
2007-09-18, 10:15 PM
Here's an idea I've been throwing around in my head all day, tell me what you guys think.

Psionoid
People consider the Elans to be the first psionically bred race, though this is not entirely true. While not manufactured, such as the Elan, Psionoids were the first true psionic race. Born naturally to Psionic human parents, the Psionoids have a natural affinity for psionics of all kinds. Unfortunately for them, their affinity also comes with a dependency. Psionoids must consume some of their own psionic essence every day in order to survive. Disregarded by many parents as weak, frail children, the Psionoid young are more dependent on their parents than other children. If they are unable to consume power points, the newborn Psionoid will die. Unfortunately, many parents are unaware of this mutation, and their child may die within hours of birth. Those that do meet maturity may or may not know anything of their special birth. However, all develop some form of psionics, so they are generally estranged from the mass population. They can, however, find comfort in their family, who share many of their gifts. Despite their unusual characteristics, Psionoids often feel at home, due to their family connections, unlike many Half-Elfs or Half-Orcs.

Psionoid Racial Traits
*-2 Str, -2 Con, +2 Int, +2 Cha: Psionoids are strong of mind, but weak of body.
*Humanoid (Human) (Psionic): Psionoids are Humanoids with the Human and Psionic subtypes.
*Medium: As Medium creatures, Psionoids have no special penalties or bonuses due to their size.
*Psionoid base land speed if 30 ft.
*Naturally Psionic: Psionoids gain 2 bonus power points at 1st level. This benefit does not grant them the ability to manifest powers unless they gain that ability through another source, such as levels in a psionic class.
*Psionic Leech (Ex.): A Psionoid have an ability to sap a Psionic creatures power points away from them, but only in short amounts. Once per hour, a Psionoid may make a melee touch attack to steal 1d4 power points away from a creature. The creature must have power points available, and is allowed a Will save (DC 10+1/2 Psionoid's Character Level+Psionoid's Cha Modifier) to negate the effect is he is not willing. Power points gained in this manner can be used to manifest powers, or fuel the Psionoids Psionic Dependency (see below), but must be used within 1 hour.
*Psionic Dependency: A Psionoid's metabolism is unique, in that it only needs power points to live. Unfortunately, this is both a blessing and a curse. While the Psionoid does not need to eat or drink anything else, they must consume power points equal to two times their character level, every day, or suffer the effects of starvation. They may use power points form either their own power point reserve, or from stolen power points using their Psionic Leech ability.
*Psionic Development: A Psionoid is not free to choose his classes. He may only be in Psionic classes. A Psionoid, for example, could become a Psionic Warrior, but would be unable to become a Fighter. This is due to their natural psionic body, which forces them allow their mind to grow.
*Favored Class: Psion.

FEATS:

Unnatural Development (Racial, Psionic)
You were raised by non-psionic parents. While you are still dependent on Psionics for sustenance, you are far more adaptable than your Psionoid cousins.
Prerequisites: Psionoid
Benefit: You may take any class levels. Unfortunately, you still require power points to survive.
Normal: You must advance only in Psionic classes.

Reduced Dependency (Racial, Psionic)
Due to your continued training away from psionics, your thirst for power points is reduced. However, you hunger now for regular foods.
Prerequisites: Psionoid, Unnatural Development, Character Level 6
Benefit: You must only consume your character level in power points for survival. However, you now must also eat the same as an average Halfling in order to survive.
Normal: You must consume four times you character level in power points to avoid starvation.

What'd you guys think?

EDIT 1 - Clarified that they can use their own power points as food.
EDIT 2- Reduced Dependency to 2x Character Level, rather than 4x. Changed Reduced Dependency to 1x Character level. Changed -4 Con to -2.

Nasrudith
2007-09-18, 10:25 PM
I think its fairly balanced but one thing needs to be made clear. Can they feed off of themselves if they have a reserve for example? If so then starving one is like trying to burn a half red dragon at stake. Still balanced even if they can considering it reduces their power point reserve if they choose to do that. Although it would create some backstory issues such as starving to death would be impossible.

JackMage666
2007-09-18, 10:32 PM
I think its fairly balanced but one thing needs to be made clear. Can they feed off of themselves if they have a reserve for example? If so then starving one is like trying to burn a half red dragon at stake. Still balanced even if they can considering it reduces their power point reserve if they choose to do that. Although it would create some backstory issues such as starving to death would be impossible.

Yeah, the idea was to give them a weakness at lower levels (since power points are fewer at lower level), but not make them suffer as much at higher levels, when the +2 mental stats and 2 extra power points arn't going to be all that great.

Mewtarthio
2007-09-18, 11:58 PM
Just how exactly does the Psionoid survive if it has Unnatural Development? A Psionoid [psionic class] 3 / [nonpsionic class] 2 needs 20 PP each day. It gets 11 + bonus. Even if it's got an 18 in its manifesting stat, it doesn't produce enough of a reserve to survive; it must consume its entire PP reserve and then leech at least 3 more PP to get its sustenance. That's with just two levels of a nonmanifesting class.

Now, when the psionoid levels up, he can take Reduced Dependancy, allowing him to subsist on his reserve (though he only gets a few token PP besides what he leeches off everyone else), but his life before that level up is an unenviable nightmare (and it's no bed of roses on this end of the spectrum, either).

Basically, a psionoid with even a few nonpsionic levels needs a willing psionic character (unwilling ones tend to be difficult to work with, what with a bound and gagged psion being a bit more dangerous than most other bound and gagged people) as a battery, and his manifesting's shot. At higher levels, nothing can save the psionoid unless he's got a lot of manifesting levels (he still loses a little under half his manifesting if he's only got 10 psionic levels).

In short, why would anyone take Unnatural Development?

JackMage666
2007-09-19, 12:15 AM
Just how exactly does the Psionoid survive if it has Unnatural Development? A Psionoid [psionic class] 3 / [nonpsionic class] 2 needs 20 PP each day. It gets 11 + bonus. Even if it's got an 18 in its manifesting stat, it doesn't produce enough of a reserve to survive; it must consume its entire PP reserve and then leech at least 3 more PP to get its sustenance. That's with just two levels of a nonmanifesting class.

Now, when the psionoid levels up, he can take Reduced Dependancy, allowing him to subsist on his reserve (though he only gets a few token PP besides what he leeches off everyone else), but his life before that level up is an unenviable nightmare (and it's no bed of roses on this end of the spectrum, either).

Basically, a psionoid with even a few nonpsionic levels needs a willing psionic character (unwilling ones tend to be difficult to work with, what with a bound and gagged psion being a bit more dangerous than most other bound and gagged people) as a battery, and his manifesting's shot. At higher levels, nothing can save the psionoid unless he's got a lot of manifesting levels (he still loses a little under half his manifesting if he's only got 10 psionic levels).

In short, why would anyone take Unnatural Development?

Yes, mechanically, Unnatural Development is a horrible idea. But, it also allows dips, and can reduce the cost of the dependency. From a roleplayer standpoint, I can see lots of people using it, though.

Also, the race is very strong for Wizards. This feat blocks them from becoming Wizards all the way. I realize Psions themselves can be mighty strong, but nowhere near as strong as the Wizard.

But, a High Int, High lvl Psion has ALOT of power points to spend, so he can probably survive using this. At low levels, it's hard, but that's the general idea.

Also, I do realize this is a much better race in highly psionic games. That was kinda the idea.

So, yes, it's mechanically weak at points, particularly with Unnatural Development, but I was hoping that would play to balance.

Caewil
2007-09-19, 01:46 AM
Psionic Dependancy is just too much. At low levels, it gimps them. At high levels, it's still pretty bad, the equivalent of an augmented ninth level power. Why would anyone take this race over the elan, which only needs to spend 2 pp/day feeding itself and has better ability scores. Even a +2 int doesn't make up for the massive constitution loss.

Kagan
2007-09-19, 06:42 AM
The -4 con is terrifying. I don't think I would enjoy DM'ing for a character with the constitution modifier that this one would invariably have. Encouraging players to become glass cannons can lead to interesting results.

Also, if the character needs to eat power points to survive, I'd probably never have it take classes that don't give it more power points. This detracts from your feat, "Unnatural Development".

JackMage666
2007-09-19, 10:04 AM
Alright, should I reduce the dependency, then, or just eliminate it?

I personally want to keep it (for balance issues), but I could reduce it to 2x, or even just 1x their character level. Then the second feat would reduce the cost to 1x or 0x, respectably. I was probably just making it too strong to overcompensate.

As for ability score, I'm not sure what to do. Should I just reduce Con to -2, and hope that the Dependency will be enough to keep Wizards from abusing this?

Mewtarthio
2007-09-19, 01:57 PM
You seem overly paranoid about Wizards abusing this race. The Grey Elf race infamously gives +2 Int and +2 Dex, making it more valuable than a Psionoid (particularly since Psionoids are most notable for a power leech ability that doesn't benefit Wizards at all).

JackMage666
2007-09-19, 03:03 PM
Alright, reduced Dependency to 2x Character Level.

Reduced Depenecy feat requires you still eat 1x their character level.

So, at 20th level, 40 PP, or 20 PP, if they have the feat. That shouldn't be too bad, should it? They do gain 2 PP on their own (so they can feed of that for 1st level, even.)

Changed Con to -2, rather than -4.

Any thoughts?

Oh, and yes I'm worrid about it being too strong for Wizards, Sorcerers, Clerics or Druids, as that's what balance is based off nowadays. It's not that I like that, it's just how people look at things, withc full casters being so broken.