PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A What happens if you fall unconscious while under the effect of blink?

holywhippet
2018-11-02, 03:20 PM
Blink is not a concentration spell so it should keep going even if you get knocked out. But if it takes you into the Ethereal plane you get to pick where you reappear at the start of your next turn provided there is an available space within 10 feet of where you vanished. But that is a choice to be made - which you can't do if you are unconscious. Would you just randomly reappear each time until the spell ends?

Slipperychicken
2018-11-02, 03:46 PM
I'd want to say the character simply reappears where he was, if he fails to make a decision on it.

Cynthaer
2018-11-02, 04:40 PM
I'd want to say the character simply reappears where he was, if he fails to make a decision on it.

This seems the most straightforward interpretation.

The spell text has precisely nothing to say about what happens if "you" (the character) cannot make the choice, so go with whatever's most interesting or intuitive. Returning to the same place (you're not actively choosing to move) seems most intuitive.

(Having them appear at a random location within 10 feet strikes me as more interesting, so that's what I'd personally do as a DM. It makes for a more memorable fight!)

Man_Over_Game
2018-11-02, 04:46 PM
Blink is not a concentration spell so it should keep going even if you get knocked out. But if it takes you into the Ethereal plane you get to pick where you reappear at the start of your next turn provided there is an available space within 10 feet of where you vanished. But that is a choice to be made - which you can't do if you are unconscious. Would you just randomly reappear each time until the spell ends?

Formal Q&A RPG Stack Exchange post on this very question: https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/78081/does-the-spell-blink-work-after-you-get-knocked-unconscious

The general consensus is that the spell would continue to blink you, but you'd simply return to the same space or a nearby one if it's occupied, since an unconscious character can't choose anything.

Lunali
2018-11-02, 10:06 PM
Arguably you can't see any unoccupied spaces within 10 ft so you appear in the nearest unoccupied space, usually this will be the space you were already in.