PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A PAM + Relentless Avenger + Warcaster + Booming Blade/Green-Flame-Blade + Haste combo

Benny89
2018-11-02, 07:55 PM
So I was theory crafting some combos. Let's say I go Vengeance Paladin + 1 Level of Warlock for Cantrips (Booming Blade, Eldricht Blade and Green-Flame-Blade).

Now let's say I have the following feats: Polearm Master (Opportunity Attack whenever creature enters my range - 10 feet), Warcaster (I can cast spell for my opportunity attack) + I have Haste on me (60 feet movement) + Relentless Avenger (I can move half of my speed after I make opporunity attack).

So creatures move to my range-> opportunity attack -> using Warcaster I use Green-Flame-Blade and hit him with attack moving 5 feet foward -> I hit him, flame jumps to next target to him -> I move 15-25 feet back. They move again to me- rise repeat. This allows me to hit them with small AOE bonus damage (Green Flame jump for 2d8 + Charisma on 8th level).

It's not some super broken combo or game breaking. I was just wondering if I can pull that off.

It's good when controlling a group of enemies with PAM + Avenger to maximizing punishing them for trying to get close to you or around you. Booming Blade would also work as each time after you move back they have to move in, causing Booming Blade to proc.

CaptAl
2018-11-02, 08:00 PM
To use GFB or BB with a ten ft reach requires spell sniper. Otherwise, it seems solid, if expensive in opportunity costs, for that one trick.

JackPhoenix
2018-11-02, 08:50 PM
You can't use Warcaster OA with spells that can target anyone but the creature that triggered the OA. That means GFB is out.

Citadel97501
2018-11-03, 01:22 AM
You can't use Warcaster OA with spells that can target anyone but the creature that triggered the OA. That means GFB is out.

I think there is a solid argument against that ruling as GFB, targets the primary melee target the splash damage is separate.

Galithar
2018-11-03, 01:56 AM
I think there is a solid argument against that ruling as GFB, targets the primary melee target the splash damage is separate.

I disagree. I don't think there is an argument for that.

to a different creature of your choice that you can see within 5 feet of it.
That sounds like the same wording used when choosing a Target, which means GFB is targeting more then one creature.

Would Chain Lightning be a valid option for Warcaster? It is worded in a similar way. You target one and the lightning jumps to up to three more targets you choose.

You create a bolt of lightning that arcs toward a target of your choice that you can see within range. Three bolts then leap from that target to as many as three other targets, each of which must be within 30 feet of the first target. A target can be a creature or an object and can be targeted by only one of the bolts.

Citadel97501
2018-11-03, 02:10 AM
I disagree. I don't think there is an argument for that.

That sounds like the same wording used when choosing a Target, which means GFB is targeting more then one creature.

Would Chain Lightning be a valid option for Warcaster? It is worded in a similar way. You target one and the lightning jumps to up to three more targets you choose.

Your argument is good but is defeated by the "3 more targets" language in chain lightning. Frankly I don't find those cantrips powerful enough to not work.

Zalabim
2018-11-03, 03:50 AM
Unfortunately, "using your reaction to cast a spell" is not "making an opportunity attack" which breaks some interactions when you use Warcaster.