PDA

View Full Version : Called Shots?

Necrosnoop110
2018-11-03, 11:06 AM
Would you use these called shot rules (https://www.5esrd.com/gamemastering/called-shots/)? Why or why not?

Unoriginal
2018-11-03, 11:21 AM
Would you use these called shot rules (https://www.5esrd.com/gamemastering/called-shots/)? Why or why not?

I wouldn't. It's needlessly complicated compared to the benefits.

Brantley
2018-11-03, 11:35 AM
Wouldn't it be more in keeping with the 5e ruleset to make it a penalty to the attack role rather than a boost to AC? Like sharpshooter but with effects rather than just straight damage?

I kinda like this as the basis of a homebrew archer class ranger/fighter blend though.

EggKookoo
2018-11-03, 01:09 PM
I wouldn't. It's needlessly complicated compared to the benefits.

I agree. If nothing else, disadvantage on the attack roll and a bonus to the target AC is having your cake and eating it too. D&D and 5e in particular really isn't geared toward that kind of combat resolution. To my mind the character is always trying to call shots "under the hood" anyway.

A good 5e-style called shot mechanic would probably be something like: If you make a critical hit with an attack roll, you can forego the bonus damage and opt for a called shot. If you opt for a called shot, your target is allowed a CON or DEX save (depending on melee or ranged) with the DC equal to 8 + the damage inflicted. If the save fails, the target becomes stunned until the beginning of its next turn due to pain, blood obscuring vision, or injury to a specific part of their anatomy.

Having the stunned condition be only temporary is mostly about preventing the mechanic from being overpowered, but you could fluff it as the target gritting their teeth and pushing through the pain or something along those lines. I don't think you would want a mechanic that allows you to, say, put an arrow through the target's eye and permanently blind them. After all, if you can do it to an NPC, the NPC can do it to you.

JNAProductions
2018-11-03, 01:23 PM
Two things:

1) The feat actually LOWERS their AC when targeting the chest.

2) Exhaustion FREAKING HURTS. Be a Barbarian. Use Reckless Attack to cancel out Disadvantage. Hit the enemy's NORMAL AC and inflict a level of exhaustion.

That's 6 hits to kill literally anything not immune to exhaustion.

elyktsorb
2018-11-03, 01:50 PM
Disregarding complications, (Since one, it's just taking a disadvantage attack, and the player wouldn't be the one keeping track of the different AC adjustments for the target, so if a DM wants that, and is fine with the extra work, I say go for it.)

Otherwise, this just seems like it's too easy to abuse. Since, there are plenty of ways for people to get advantage to cancel out the initial disadvantage of a called shot. +2 to hit for a potential stun? AND THEN with these same rules another player could do, eye(+4), hand(+2), or leg(+2), and get the bonus for free since the Stunned condition automatically makes you fail Dex and Str saving throws.

So fights against one big enemy can turn into a complete joke over one good hit to the head. Say you have 5 people in your party. First person gets the head hit and stuns, as long as three of your party go before the enemy does, and can hit a +2 or +4 to the AC decently. Leads to, disarming, potential disadvantage on all further attacks, reduced movement speed, less damage due to no Dex or Str addition, and halfway to being permanently blind for the fight unless they can heal it midfight.

And to top it all off, all of the subsequent called shots your party makes wouldn't be at disadvantage either because attacks against stunned enemies are always at Advantage, so that would just be rolling for normal.

Mellack
2018-11-03, 02:13 PM
Definitely against it. Anytime you already have disadvantage for any reason, everyone would at least be trying for the chest hit. Invisible, long range, etc, get a free chance to add an exhaustion level. Same for when you have cancelling advantage/disadvantage such as fighting in the dark or fog.

Damon_Tor
2018-11-03, 02:15 PM

The sharpshooter feat already features a "headshot" via the attack penalty/damage bonus option.

Plenty of the Battlemaster tactics are effectively called shots to trip, disarm, and others.

We don't need more.