PDA

View Full Version : Player Help So i got a wish spell at lvl 8. Now what?

Foxolicious
2018-11-03, 02:11 PM
So i just played a game last night a side quest that our DM used to reward us for showing up every week. we had a few cancellations last minute so we did the quest and we all ended up got some pretty good items and a lot of gold but lets get to the point a found a random card which ended up being the moon card which gave me 1D3 wishes i rolled a 1 and then got to thinking what to use 1 wish for?

I'm a battlemaster 6 rogue 2.

Currently we don't have an enemy and are just going on random adventures.

dragoeniex
2018-11-03, 02:37 PM
Personally, if there's nothing that leaps out at you right now, I would hang onto it. Play the fighter with a latent wish for however many sessions it takes for you to feel like there's something worthwhile.

You could use it to resolve or highlight something from your backstory, if there's a big reason you're adventuring. You could save it to undo the messy fate of a comrade. There's also something to be said for the idea of hanging onto it so long that everyone forgets you even have it until you pull it out in a grand climax.

If you are wanting to use it now, and your character doesn't have many goals past adventuring... What about a nice weapon? Fighter 5/Rogue X is a consistent way to land painful hits, and a magic sword or spear would add to that. Risk of overshadowing party friends, depending on how they look, but you could be pretty scary. Alternatively, how about more mobility? Something that grants you flight or speed.

Or a really boss, unusual method of travel that attunes to a party member so it can't be ganked. Like a floating tower that can go X amount of miles, or an improbably massive ship.

Talking to your DM to see what kind of things they think would be fun to play off of is a good move too.

Unoriginal
2018-11-03, 02:40 PM
You could get 10 persons to become Resistant to one damage type.

Foxolicious
2018-11-03, 02:47 PM
Personally, if there's nothing that leaps out at you right now, I would hang onto it. Play the fighter with a latent wish for however many sessions it takes for you to feel like there's something worthwhile.

You could use it to resolve or highlight something from your backstory, if there's a big reason you're adventuring. You could save it to undo the messy fate of a comrade. There's also something to be said for the idea of hanging onto it so long that everyone forgets you even have it until you pull it out in a grand climax.

If you are wanting to use it now, and your character doesn't have many goals past adventuring... What about a nice weapon? Fighter 5/Rogue X is a consistent way to land painful hits, and a magic sword or spear would add to that. Risk of overshadowing party friends, depending on how they look, but you could be pretty scary. Alternatively, how about more mobility? Something that grants you flight or speed.

Or a really boss, unusual method of travel that attunes to a party member so it can't be ganked. Like a floating tower that can go X amount of miles, or an improbably massive ship.

Talking to your DM to see what kind of things they think would be fun to play off of is a good move too.

I thought about a magic weapon but the wish spell allows me to create a item up to up to 25,000 GP but it has to be non magical.

Kaliayev
2018-11-03, 02:56 PM
You could get 10 persons to become Resistant to one damage type.

Seconded. As a non caster, you don't really have to worry about losing the ability to cast wish or the necrotic damage from casting spells. You're also a dex fighter, so the hit to strength isn't as big of a deal.

the_brazenburn
2018-11-03, 02:59 PM
I thought about a magic weapon but the wish spell allows me to create a item up to up to 25,000 GP but it has to be non magical.

Yes, but there's the infamous "Work with your DM" clause in there too.

Essentially, you can do absolutely anything you want with a Wish, but you run the risk of never casting the spell again. If you are a fighter, that's something you definitely don't need to worry about.

Foxolicious
2018-11-03, 02:59 PM
Seconded. As a non caster, you don't really have to worry about losing the ability to cast wish or the necrotic damage from casting spells. You're also a dex fighter, so the hit to strength isn't as big of a deal.

You are correct I am a hand crossbow wielder and already have a magic hand crossbow

Unoriginal
2018-11-03, 03:07 PM

The "Resistance" effect has no chance to backfire, though.

Foxolicious
2018-11-03, 03:09 PM
The "Resistance" effect has no chance to backfire, though.

This is true maybe choose a fire resistance so the the wizards AOE's are less deadly to friendly allies

Draconi Redfir
2018-11-03, 03:13 PM
fondle the threads of fate and tell them to flunk off.

wish for a Tarrasque.

Foxolicious
2018-11-03, 03:15 PM
Yes, but there's the infamous "Work with your DM" clause in there too.

Essentially, you can do absolutely anything you want with a Wish, but you run the risk of never casting the spell again. If you are a fighter, that's something you definitely don't need to worry about.

The only thing i can think of currently is flying boots but that's kinda game breaking for a crossbow expert fighter