PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Level Range and why?

Wasp
2018-11-03, 02:51 PM
Hi everyone!

As stated in the title: What's your favorite character level range to play in and why is it your favorite levels? Would it be still as much fun if you would only play in that range?

Cheers

Wasp

Tiadoppler
2018-11-03, 03:03 PM
I'll start out with (what I think is) a somewhat unconventional answer:

Level 8-14 is my favorite, because the threats the players face can be a bit larger in scale, the monsters are more deadly and varied, the powers that the players have allow them much greater capability and versatility, and more interesting builds/multiclasses start working.

Stygofthedump
2018-11-03, 03:34 PM
Lv1 is scary fun, LV 5 allows some power so I’d vote for 1-6

Tanarii
2018-11-03, 03:45 PM
As a DM, definitely Tier 2, levels 5-10. The Pcs are powerful enough to be heroes of the realm, dealing with large-ish groups of lesser monsters (especially basic humanoids), or smaller groups of somewhat powerful ones. But they haven't gotten to the point of total superhumans or effectively demigods yet. That lets me run a good blend of heroic with somewhat grounded feeling adventures. And keeps very powerful monsters (older dragons, powerful fiends) as fairly scary threats the PCs typically have to outsmart rather than just destroy.

In retrospect, WoTC knew what they were doing with the XP scaling in Tier 1 & 2. I haven't run enough T3 & T4 to see if that holds. But if I was running solo campaigns I expect I'd feel their sudden acceleration in T3 to get to the "endgame" T4 would probably work well, if I was prepped for it.

Theron_the_slim
2018-11-03, 03:49 PM
3-10

In a pretty much completly free sandbox environment, it gives me the most freedom to create multiple different hooks for the players.
Stronger villains (lets say CR 13+) should be something pretty rare for pracitical reasons (you arenīt really building a stable town/city in a region where multiple adult dragons are roaming the area)
It also makes deciding to skip a plot hook almost cruel, since the adventurers pretty much know that almost all common people arenīt able to deal with such a threat (sorry, we are on a way to plunder this old temple, have fun dealing with that mad beholder on your own)
Letting a town struggle with a few gnolls, while exploring some kobold infested cave, itīs a more free decision for me than having to decide to not stop something than only you can stop.

The characters also are considered competend, but not insanely powerful ... in a way where for example consequences with law enforcement arenīt always easily resolved by pure spellpower and the possibility of a character death still has some sort of a scary effect instead of being nothing more than a nuisance
Itīs fantasy, but still more relatable on a personal level.

mephnick
2018-11-03, 04:09 PM
3-12. Powerful, but before 7th level spells completely change the type of stories you can tell. 13+ isn't even D&D in my opinion, it becomes something else. And I don't like it.

ad_hoc
2018-11-03, 04:15 PM

5-10

JakOfAllTirades
2018-11-03, 08:04 PM
Is it cheating to say levels 1 thru 20?

I know they're completely different in terms of game play, but that's the point: I enjoy change, and I enjoy going through all those different stages of play.

Jamesps
2018-11-03, 08:25 PM
Depends on how the party's structured. For a groups that lean away from heavy magic use, all the levels are fun. I don't like high level magic though.

Mr.Spastic
2018-11-03, 09:10 PM
1-3, 5-7, 9-14, 17-20.

It's a bit scattered around but the reason is pretty straight forward. These level tend to be when you get the fun options and new powers. 1-3 is always fun and you get the experience of getting brand new powers as you level up. 5-6 is when you get extra attack, level 3 spells, and most get classes subclass abilities. 9-14 is much like 5-6 but with a lot more crazy things like teleportation circle. 17-20 is just ridiculously enjoyable with things like wish, true polymorph, timestop, and meteor swarm.

R.Shackleford
2018-11-03, 09:23 PM
Hi everyone!

As stated in the title: What's your favorite character level range to play in and why is it your favorite levels? Would it be still as much fun if you would only play in that range?

Cheers

Wasp

1 to 10, with a preference for 3 to 8.

My groups specifically only play 1 - 10 now days. I play in some random higher level stuff occasionally... But... Meh. The game doesn't seem to have been thought out all that well with regards to levels 11 - 20 for the most part.

guachi
2018-11-03, 10:03 PM
For 5e it'd be 3-12 if only because any campaign I'd likely run would peter out by the time the PCs hit level 12.

KorvinStarmast
2018-11-03, 10:21 PM
3-12

I am in a Tier 3 campaign, and it's great fun because we have a great DM.
What I like about the 3-12 level range is how you feel the growth in power.

there are a few level 14 class features that I wish were assigned to lower levels, but basically, 3-12 is the "sweet spot" for this edition.

Ogre Mage
2018-11-04, 06:02 AM
Tier 2 (levels 5-10) is the best phase of the game. The heroes are capable of doing larger-than-life things and their tactical options expand considerably. As a player, this is fun for me. (Fireball! Spirit Guardians! Hypnotic Pattern! Conjure Animals!) But the DM can challenge the party without having to pull out ultra-powerful enemies. There are still many forces in the world greater than them.

R.Shackleford
2018-11-04, 11:53 AM
Tier 2 (levels 5-10) is the best phase of the game. The heroes are capable of doing larger-than-life things and their tactical options expand considerably. As a player, this is fun for me. (Fireball! Spirit Guardians! Hypnotic Pattern! Conjure Animals!) But the DM can challenge the party without having to pull out ultra-powerful enemies. There are still many forces in the world greater than them.

What's great for those levels is that you can scale down higher CR enemies to lower CR and the party can still deal with them.

So, you get iconic monsters but dont have to wait until hiiiigh level to use them

Foxhound438
2018-11-04, 06:05 PM
I'll be the black sheep and say it's 1-4. HP scaling takes out a lot of the tense moments that low levels can create, and levelling happens fast enough to almost always have new tricks to pull out of your sleeve. I played in a game that went from 1 to 20, and at a point it felt like a chore to play, and I had more fun when we took breaks to play one shots.

R.Shackleford
2018-11-04, 08:07 PM
I'll be the black sheep and say it's 1-4. HP scaling takes out a lot of the tense moments that low levels can create, and levelling happens fast enough to almost always have new tricks to pull out of your sleeve. I played in a game that went from 1 to 20, and at a point it felt like a chore to play, and I had more fun when we took breaks to play one shots.

My only issue with staying so low of a level is that it's hard for a lot of DMs to make epic fights. Using a Lich at level 4 can work if done correctly, but it is much easier to translate the Lich to a (party level 10) encounter.

Level 1 - 20 is a chore to me too.

XanKrieger
2018-11-04, 10:37 PM
I wonder, is there a difference in preferred level range between people who largely DM versus those who do not

MrFahrenheit
2018-11-05, 08:09 AM
Levels 11-20. Primarily because, thanks to bounded accuracy, these levels are actually playable in this edition, threats remain consistent (as a DM you have to remember to begin denying rests though), and skill challenges, though easier, are by no means trivial.

Galactkaktus
2018-11-05, 10:34 AM
ANything above 1. Ireally don't enjoy how fragile the characters are at lv 1.

WereRabbitz
2018-11-05, 10:50 AM
Level 2-6

Level 1 it's too easy for a group to get wiped by a couple of bad rolls, Group 2 through 6 you start to come into the abilities of your characters and fighting monsters is enjoyable. Starting at level 7 the pace at which you level drops off and the monster fights get a lot harder for the players to win and DM's to plan.

Planning a boss fight at level 12 takes a bunch of time and preparation on both sides of the table.

Also all the fun monsters like Zombies, Werewolves, owlbears,ect... are low level... after that you get into the less appealing/enjoyable monsters.

Also from the point of a view of a DM high level monsters take more work to use in a fight having a variety of abilities to manage.

darknite
2018-11-05, 10:53 AM
I wonder, is there a difference in preferred level range between people who largely DM versus those who do not

I mainly DM. Higher-level battles take more energy, concentration and preparation than lower-level ones. But I like running them a lot!

mephnick
2018-11-05, 02:44 PM

In my case it's both. I hate high level DnD as a player and GM.

dejarnjc
2018-11-05, 03:41 PM
16-20 are easily my favorite. Both to DM and to be a player.

Throne12
2018-11-05, 03:42 PM
As a dm if I went by the books 1-10 suck cause it a lot of I pass or I fail. There isn't a lot of in between. And you really have to tailor monsters to them if you dont just them to walk all over them or you walk all over the party. When your playing at 11-20 you dont have to tailor so much.

Scarytincan
2018-11-05, 06:47 PM
7 and up, more options and tactics in combat. Can't stand starting lower than 5. I feel like 5 is when you really start to feel like your class...

Honest Tiefling
2018-11-05, 08:46 PM
5+. I'll be honest, getting a group together to actually reach higher levels has been an issue, so I'm amused by the idea of going higher and getting to play with those shiny new toys.

However, if that were not an issue I'd say 5-10 with the occasional dip into 5-15 campaigns for a bit of variety. Starting at higher levels doesn't amuse me as much as leveling quickly for some reason.

Ogre Mage
2018-11-06, 03:33 AM
ANything above 1. I really don't enjoy how fragile the characters are at lv 1.

I hate Level 1 characters. Besides being VERY fragile you are tactically so limited. I tend to not like 1-4 in general. Back in 3E, my group kept getting up to Level 4-5 and then the campaign would fall apart. That drove me crazy.

BobZan
2018-11-06, 05:27 AM
1-3 because is so much fun

elyktsorb
2018-11-06, 05:57 AM
4 and up. I just find 1-3 to be boring compared to playing at higher levels. Not saying 1-3 can't be fun, but I've had more fun overall once we got past level 3.

Dark Schneider
2018-11-06, 06:23 AM
Maybe 11-15. You get many great abilities and also can generate very interesting battles against powerful creatures.

guachi
2018-11-06, 03:48 PM
I'll be the black sheep and say it's 1-4.

I said 3-12 but I've actually played 1-5 in 5e multiple times. I've never actually played 5e to level 12 nor DMed it. I had a blast with a slow advancement campaign from 1-7. The fight right after the six PC party hit level 5 was an epic fight against a CR10 legendary creature. One PC left standing. It was awesome.

The 1-5 part took about six months and it was about as much fun as I've ever had in D&D.

Dudewithknives
2018-11-06, 03:53 PM
3 to 7.

You are out of the, "oops the bad guy rolled a 20, so you fall over" range.
People get all their class and subclasses started.
Most subclasses get their key features.
Most classes have not gotten to the point yet where they just make certain things a cakewalk.

Wasp
2018-11-07, 09:30 PM
So aggregating the answers levels 3 to 12 seem to be a bit more liked than later levels, while level 1 and 2 do not have that many fans... (all of that in a very small sample *g*)

PeteNutButter
2018-11-07, 10:53 PM
Tier 2. Specifically the upper end of it, around levels 8-10. That's enough to give me 5 levels of a core class plus another class with subclass and ASI.

By tier 3 things really start to break if you have an optimizer or two in the party. The gap between them and the nonoptimized is just too wide. If the bard is just casting vicious mockery and the GWM/SS fighter is making 6-7 attacks on an action surge it really makes the game dull. Optimized characters can be extremely difficult to challenge without murdering the other PCs.

Since I typically play tanks, there is a running joke that every dungeon has a memo going around that has a picture of my character that simply says, "Don't attack this guy. Kill everyone else." The game isn't working if a PC is virtually unhittable.

This is primarily experience with AL and other published adventures. Homebrew DMs could probably counteract this with some creativity.

Tvtyrant
2018-11-07, 11:22 PM

This is a fair question. I like low level play as a DM but often want to do high level play as a player.

High level is fun as a player because I can go through the fun of having tons of options, as a DM I have to fulfill all of those without x100.