PDA

View Full Version : imprisionment requirement

haplot
2018-11-03, 05:34 PM
As I understand things, the imprisionment spell needs a 'get out of jail' conditioner thingy.

I was thinking something along the lines of a third comet to go across the heavens after the rise of the dragonborn, but I feel the wording of that is a bit of a self fullfilling thing considering the make up of the party.

The party consists of four dragonborn.
1 fire breath wizard
1 acid breath barbarian
1 cold breath cleric
1 poison breath ranger

Any suggestions for better wording for the get out of jail bit for the spell?

Help would be greatly appreciated.

NecessaryWeevil
2018-11-03, 07:12 PM
As I understand things, the imprisionment spell needs a 'get out of jail' conditioner thingy.

"Ending the Spell: During the casting of the spell, in any of its versions, you can specify a condition that will cause the spell to end and release the target. The condition can be as specific or as elaborate as you choose, but the DM must agree that the condition is reasonable and has a likelihood of coming to pass. The Conditions can be based on a creature's name, identity, or deity but otherwise must be based on observable actions or qualities and not based on intangibles such as level, class, or Hit Points."

As I read it, you may specify such a condition but you don't have to. If you do, the condition must "have a likelihood of coming to pass." I've never understood why they added that last bit, but that's what the RAW says...

jiriku
2018-11-03, 07:58 PM
This spell begs for a Xanatos Gambit (https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/XanatosGambit).

Imagine a set of conditions that are even BETTER for you than your enemy being imprisoned. Set those as the release conditions. Then either (a) your enemy remains imprisoned, or (b) you get something even better than your enemy remaining imprisoned. Either way, you win.

Eragon123
2018-11-03, 08:03 PM
This spell begs for a Xanatos Gambit (https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/XanatosGambit).

Imagine a set of conditions that are even BETTER for you than your enemy being imprisoned. Set those as the release conditions. Then either (a) your enemy remains imprisoned, or (b) you get something even better than your enemy remaining imprisoned. Either way, you win.

Xanatos Gambit seems especially appropriate as the Gargoyles series starts with in inprisonment condition “when the castle rests above the clouds”.

MaxWilson
2018-11-03, 11:02 PM

Or (c) someone Dispels the spell and your enemy gets out of prison.

In order to be worthwhile, the spell really needs to be un-Dispellable.

JackPhoenix
2018-11-03, 11:30 PM
Or (c) someone Dispels the spell and your enemy gets out of prison.

In order to be worthwhile, the spell really needs to be un-Dispellable.

It pretty much is, except the chaining option. You can't find the victim through divination, you can't dispel the hedged prison option (you can, in theory, find the sphere of force resulting from burial by random chance, but good luck with that), and you can either guard (for the minimus container) or destroy the component used to cast the spell, negating the danger of someone casting Dispel Magic on it.

XmonkTad
2018-11-04, 01:47 AM
If we're going for a Xanatos gambit, why not add in a line about how the dragonborns are at "the peak of their power" or some such? That way the big-bad only shows up after you've buffed up and had a good nights rest.

haplot
2018-11-04, 04:09 AM
the gambit looks cool :)

As for them being at the peak of their power, think i will put that in

Many thanks