PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Robinsegg.

blademan9999
2018-11-04, 11:16 AM
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/oots/images/2/25/Azure_City_Area.png/revision/latest?cb=20170225012711
As you can see Robinsegg that is on lands that were once owned by Azure city.
What happened to it and who owns it now?

Keltest
2018-11-04, 11:36 AM
I figure it was probably pillaged by the invading hobgoblins for food and resources, and the populace either abandoned it or were captured/slain.

Mad Humanist
2018-11-04, 11:37 AM
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/oots/images/2/25/Azure_City_Area.png/revision/latest?cb=20170225012711

I wonder was it a kickstarter reward to have your own Easter Egg?

(BTW I assumed this was spam at first.)

Keltest
2018-11-04, 11:40 AM

American Robin eggs are a light blue color, so I assume it was just one of the "everything related to Azure City is blue" jokes.

Gift Jeraff
2018-11-04, 02:16 PM

That map predates the Kickstarter by like 4 years.

martianmister
2018-11-04, 02:21 PM
Picture is too small to read, and I don't remember it. Which book is that?

Gift Jeraff
2018-11-04, 02:23 PM
War & XPs Azure City travel guide at the end.

hroþila
2018-11-04, 03:07 PM
I figure it was probably pillaged by the invading hobgoblins for food and resources, and the populace either abandoned it or were captured/slain.
Pretty much. It would have taken the hobgoblins a while to reach Robinsegg after taking Azure City, so I'm hoping the inhabitants were warned and they could either mount a proper defense (and that they're independent to this day) or, more likely, evacuate the settlement and join the fleet.

Draconi Redfir
2018-11-04, 03:40 PM
might even be inhabited by hobgoblins and used as a farming village now.

Hardcore
2018-11-04, 09:21 PM
I recall there is a Robinsegg on the map in the latest book. I had to use Google to figure out the meaning of the name.

facw
2018-11-04, 10:48 PM

I'd guess the population abandoned it after learning of the fall of Azure City. They wouldn't have been able to defend it so it would make more sense to either try to join Hinjo's fleet (it wouldn't be a shock if the fleet had stopped there on their way to seek allies to the south), or flee elsewhere. Robinsegg being a coastal town, it probably has some sort of fortress that could hold off hobgoblin raiders, to buy some time for an escape, but obviously they wouldn't be able to hold against the army that took Azure City, so staying would be too risky. Once they've left, it's easy for the hobgoblins to go in (who knows if they've done so at this point though, Xykon might not have like the idea of sending away forces that could be looking for his phylactery).

If it were somewhere else, another nation might swoop in and grab it, the nations on the west coast of the southern continent don't seem likely to have the strength or organization to hold it should the hobgoblins want it.

Rogar Demonblud
2018-11-05, 12:00 AM
Well, we know the Realm of the Dragon is intensely expansionistic. Sounds like a lovely time to send a few young-uns over to form a colony.

Emanick
2018-11-05, 12:30 AM
Well, we know the Realm of the Dragon is intensely expansionistic. Sounds like a lovely time to send a few young-uns over to form a colony.

Well, it was intensely expansionist. Now that it's ruled by a baby white dragon instead of a giant red one, its foreign policy may have changed.

Regarding Robinsegg's fate: I agree with facw; it could easily have been populated by the hobgoblins, but they may not really need it, as Azure City has more than enough housing for them, and Robinsegg may be inconveniently remote from both their ancestral homeland and the City itself. It's possible that some refugee Azurites have tentatively settled there, or even that it's abandoned entirely - although, as we know, any deserted habitable structure inevitably winds up housing some wandering monsters before long.

D.One
2018-11-05, 06:11 AM
Well, it was intensely expansionist. Now that it's ruled by a baby white dragon instead of a giant red one, its foreign policy may have changed.

Where exactly this information come from? Can't really remember.

As for Robinsegg fate, maybe in the future we may know what has hatched there...

Emanick
2018-11-05, 06:18 AM
Where exactly this information come from? Can't really remember.

As for Robinsegg fate, maybe in the future we may know what has hatched there...

It’s the subject of a bonus comic in Snips, Snails and Dragon Tails/Tales (can’t remember which word Rich sprung for). Might also have been in Dragon Magazine. I won’t say more, partly to avoid spoilers and partly because the actual comic doesn’t contain much relevant information beyond what I already mentioned.

D.One
2018-11-05, 06:26 AM
It’s the subject of a bonus comic in Snips, Snails and Dragon Tails/Tales (can’t remember which word Rich sprung for). Might also have been in Dragon Magazine. I won’t say more, partly to avoid spoilers and partly because the actual comic doesn’t contain much relevant information beyond what I already mentioned.

Thanks. Have to go and re-read that.

Talion
2018-11-05, 07:24 AM

Well, if the egg is blue, then clearly a Blue Dragon hatched. A contender for the throne of the Realm of the Dragon has appeared! :smallbiggrin:

hroþila
2018-11-05, 07:40 AM
Given the geography, it would be a challenge for the Realm of the Dragon to seize Robinsegg. The Ghostlands would be in a better position, but then again, if they weren't willing to help the Azurites retake Azure City, perhaps they wouldn't want to mess with the hobgoblins and Xykon by getting involved in what was part of Azure City's sphere of influence. The Cerulean River was likely the heart of the Azurite farmlands (since most of the land north and east of Azure City itself was mountains), and Robinsegg at the mouth of the Cerulean River would likely be a very important port for Azure City from a logistical point of view, so the hobgoblins probably needed to capture it sooner rather than later to keep the city fed (or just for the exports, considering the population drop).

Also, I posit that what hatches in Robinsegg might be some kind of avian creature. Perhaps a martin of some sort.

edit: just took a look at the travel guide. It does mention that Robinsegg is important to keep Azure City supplied with food, but it also states that the rocky terrain further north is still quite productive. However, with Kubota gone, that might not be the case anymore, depending on how much equipment the hobgoblins managed to capture.

Peelee
2018-11-05, 08:21 AM
Also, I posit that what hatches in Robinsegg might be some kind of avian creature. Perhaps a martin of some sort.

I choose to believe it was Martin Freeman.

Keltest
2018-11-05, 08:22 AM
Guys, clearly Robinsegg hatches orphaned acrobats who later get adopted by billionaire playboys who definitely have no relation to local vigilantes.

Peelee
2018-11-05, 08:39 AM
Guys, clearly Robinsegg hatches orphaned acrobats who later get adopted by billionaire playboys who definitely have no relation to local vigilantes.

I get really annoyed at versions that have his costume basically be a slightly modified Flying Graysons costume. Basically advertise who B&R are, why don't they?

Keltest
2018-11-05, 08:50 AM
I get really annoyed at versions that have his costume basically be a slightly modified Flying Graysons costume. Basically advertise who B&R are, why don't they?

Maybe theyre taking refuge in audacity.

xroads
2018-11-05, 10:26 AM

I wonder if Robinsegg is partially a homage to that old parody "Jingle Bells, Batman Smells."

Jingle bells, Batman smells
Robin laid an egg
The Batmobile lost a wheel
And The Joker got away

Keltest
2018-11-05, 10:35 AM
I wonder if Robinsegg is partially a homage to that old parody "Jingle Bells, Batman Smells."

I doubt it, at least directly. A robin is an actual type of bird (actually actually, two types of birds!), hence the line in the song. Its almost certainly referencing an actual American Robin's egg due to the blue connection, so in that sense it might be connected in as much as theyre both derived from a literal bird's egg.

D.One
2018-11-05, 10:41 AM

Maybe it's the B&R version of painting your mecha pink with blue dots (or any other flashy colors combination) as a form of camouflage:

Guard #1: "Look,a pink with blue dots mecha flying over the walls of the city! We must inform HQ!"
Guard #2: "And say what?! They will think we are mad, or fooling around."
Guard #1: "Yeah, that's ridiculous. Let's pretend we saw nothing."

Peelee
2018-11-05, 11:09 AM
Maybe it's the B&R version of painting your mecha pink with blue dots (or any other flashy colors combination) as a form of camouflage:

Guard #1: "Look,a pink with blue dots mecha flying over the walls of the city! We must inform HQ!"
Guard #2: "And say what?! They will think we are mad, or fooling around."
Guard #1: "Yeah, that's ridiculous. Let's pretend we saw nothing."

A.) when the boss asks why they didn't report a mecha that was very garish ly obvious, they're in for a bad day.
2.) Actual dazzle camouflage, to the best of my knowledge, worked pretty well.

Keltest
2018-11-05, 11:16 AM
A.) when the boss asks why they didn't report a mecha that was very garish ly obvious, they're in for a bad day.
2.) Actual dazzle camouflage, to the best of my knowledge, worked pretty well.

I mean, I think ANY time a garish mecha shows up, something is about to hit the fan one way or another.

Peelee
2018-11-05, 11:17 AM
I mean, I think ANY time a garish mecha shows up, something is about to hit the fan one way or another.

I dunno. How often is the mecha's target a giant fan?

Keltest
2018-11-05, 11:20 AM

Knowing Batman? Surprisingly often.

Peelee
2018-11-05, 11:24 AM
Knowing Batman? Surprisingly often.

That's probably why he so cool under pressure.

D.One
2018-11-05, 12:07 PM
That's probably why he so cool under pressure.

Even under air pressure...

Lord Torath
2018-11-05, 12:38 PM

I get really annoyed at versions that have his costume basically be a slightly modified Flying Graysons costume. Basically advertise who B&R are, why don't they?See, I read Keltest's post and came up with Ninja (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0560.html) Girl (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0582.html). Then I looked again at "Robinsegg". :smallsigh:

Jasdoif
2018-11-05, 12:51 PM
I get really annoyed at versions that have his costume basically be a slightly modified Flying Graysons costume. Basically advertise who B&R are, why don't they?Maybe theyre taking refuge in audacity.So that's the name of the circus in Start of Darkness. Audacity. Which makes the settlement Audavillage.

D.One
2018-11-05, 03:50 PM
So that's the name of the circus in Start of Darkness. Audacity. Which makes the settlement Audavillage.

And since he was on the circus, what does that make MitD? Some king of Riddle(rtm), or a Banetm of his enemies?

blademan9999
2018-11-06, 03:27 AM
I think it's fate is mentioned in the extras of War and XP's.
Could someone who owns that book check?

Whispri
2018-11-06, 08:25 AM
As tempting as it is to suggest that Robinsegg hatched and the people escaped the goblin crusaders and rapacious Azurite flotilla on the back of a giant Robin... The borders of Gobbotopia have been described in comic (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0702.html) and after examining the Azure region (https://oots.fandom.com/wiki/Azure_City?file=Azure_City_Area.png) and Southern continent (https://oots.fandom.com/wiki/Southern_Continent?file=Southern_Continent.png) maps... I don't think the Hobgoblins went anywhere near Robinsegg. It's too far to the south of the territorial boundaries Redcloak claimed.

It's possible Robinsegg was abandoned or destroyed during the war, but... 30 strips is a long way to travel for a gateless city, while team evil had lost a third of their army and gained a lot of territory (and the Azurite floating horde appears to have only visited four ports during the early months of their exile (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0501.html), none of which seem egglike) it actually makes some sense that they'd ignore the Lord of Azure's southern dominions.

If I had to put my quatloos on it, I'd say Robinsegg now exists as an independent city state and is one of the seventeen nations who have recognised Gobbotopia and are trading with the goblinoids, as they once did with Azure City. They might even be buying Azurite slaves, freeing them or putting them to work as alignment permits. The Robinseggites (Robinseggians? Robinsegglings?) may even have unified the unnamed southern towns under their banner, by fair means or foul and may well have cast aside the sartorial/sumptuary laws/guidelines of Azure city in favour of other colours. The egg has hatched after all (reds and blacks then given the suspected nature of the egg?).

Going back to the Azure region map, I'd say that the goblinoids have certainly claimed the nameless towns on the road from Blueriver fort to Azure/Gobbotopia city as well as the settlement on the mouth of the Blue River. The southern settlements, along the banks of the Cerulean river and in the depressed hills are very likey to be free (with some doubts over the closest to Azure city of the four). While the northern most town may have been sacked but appears to be outside of the goblins' domain.

DavidSh
2018-11-07, 03:38 PM
Are we talking football here (New York) or baseball (San Francisco)?

(I don't know the Gotham City sports teams.)

D.One
2018-11-07, 03:40 PM

Soccer :smallbiggrin:

PS: Curiously, the French National Soccer Team is known as Les Bleus, The Blues (as in the blue ones, not the music style).

Rogar Demonblud
2018-11-07, 03:57 PM

They only have a football team. The Gotham Knights.

Get the joke?

Fyraltari
2018-11-07, 03:59 PM

Ask Sportsmaster (http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Lawrence_Crock_(New_Earth)).

Soccer :smallbiggrin:

PS: Curiously, the French National Soccer Team is known as Les Bleus, The Blues (as in the blue ones, not the music style).
What's weird about that? It's the color of their team uniform.

zimmerwald1915
2018-11-07, 06:56 PM

Because that name should be reserved for Constantinople chariot racers, damnit.

Peelee
2018-11-07, 07:04 PM
Because that name should be reserved for Constantinople chariot racers, damnit.

Ya know, Istanbul was Constantinople, but now it's Istanbul, not Constantinople. Been a long time gone, Constantinople. Now it's Turkish delight on a moonlit night.

Fyraltari
2018-11-07, 07:13 PM
Ya know, Istanbul was Constantinople, but now it's Istanbul, not Constantinople. Been a long time gone, Constantinople. Now it's Turkish delight on a moonlit night.

You really should let Byzantium be bygones, man.

Rogar Demonblud
2018-11-07, 07:21 PM

Even Old New York,
Was Once New Amsterdam.
Why They Changed It I Can't Say,
People Just Liked It Better That Way?

Peelee
2018-11-07, 07:41 PM
Even Old New York,
Was Once New Amsterdam.
Why They Changed It I Can't Say,
People Just Liked It Better That Way?

Why did Constantinople get the works?

hroþila
2018-11-07, 07:51 PM
It is possible that Robinsegg was called Jaysfeather, but then they changed it and some folks who could perhaps surpass mere men in size sang about it.

Rogar Demonblud
2018-11-07, 08:11 PM
Why did Constantinople get the works?

That's nobody's business but the Turks!

Ruck
2018-11-07, 10:48 PM
That's nobody's business but the Turks!

Say I'm the only bee in your-- d'oh!

D.One
2018-11-08, 07:46 AM

Nothing weird, really. My "curiously" remark was because I started talking about soccer and them remembered about that fact, and we were talking about a city and a region with lots of blue references... :smallbiggrin:

Rogar Demonblud
2018-11-08, 12:24 PM
In that case, it's even more appropriate to bring up the Japanese national team, the Blue Samurai.

D.One
2018-11-08, 12:39 PM
In that case, it's even more appropriate to bring up the Japanese national team, the Blue Samurai.

Yeah, quite so. But are they from the Samurai base class, or the Master Samurai prestige class?

zimmerwald1915
2018-11-08, 12:45 PM
Yeah, quite so. But are they from the Samurai base class, or the Master Samurai prestige class?
Neither. Samurai is a social class, not a game-mechanical one.

Fyraltari
2018-11-08, 12:45 PM

:miko: Why is it so difficult to believe that then can be samurai without having a class with the word "samurai" in the title?

D.One
2018-11-08, 02:25 PM
:miko: Why is it so difficult to believe that then can be samurai without having a class with the word "samurai" in the title?

:elan: Someone apparently took a few levels in the Mean Old Cranky-Pants prestige class... :smallbiggrin:

Caractacus
2018-11-08, 04:36 PM
So that's the name of the circus in Start of Darkness. Audacity. Which makes the settlement Audavillage.

With the avian connection, we can only assume that there is a small settlement of Audabon close by...

martianmister
2018-11-08, 09:20 PM
:elan: Someone apparently took a few levels in the Mean Old Cranky-Pants prestige class... :smallbiggrin:

:roy: It's like I'm watching my life, but from the outside...

Gift Jeraff
2018-11-09, 11:09 PM
:miko: Why is it so difficult to believe that then can be samurai without having a class with the word "samurai" in the title? :elan: Someone apparently took a few levels in the Mean Old Cranky-Pants prestige class... :smallbiggrin::roy: It's like I'm watching my life, but from the outside...©2005 Rich Burlew www.GiantITP.com

Zenzis
2018-11-18, 04:36 PM

TIL Fishing (http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Fishing) is considered a relevant power/ability to DC wiki editors. 17 characters possess this rare power, and a lot of them are just alternate universe versions of themselves. As the "superhuman strength (http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Category%3ASuperhuman_Strength)" category has 3277 entries I choose to believe that if you live in the DC universe crowds are pretty passive about Superman at this point but gather around in awe if you can catch a trout.

Fyraltari
2018-11-18, 04:41 PM
TIL Fishing (http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Fishing) is considered a relevant power/ability to DC wiki editors. 17 characters possess this rare power, and a lot of them are just alternate universe versions of themselves. As the "superhuman strength (http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Category%3ASuperhuman_Strength)" category has 3277 entries I choose to believe that if you live in the DC universe crowds are pretty passive about Superman at this point but gather around in awe if you can catch a trout.
:smallbiggrin:

More henchmen should be like Pollack.

D.One
2018-11-21, 10:47 AM

The description is hilarious (when you think it's on a super-hero wikia):

"Sometimes called trapping, Fishing is a term used to describe the ability of some characters to simply catch fish. However, "angling" as it's also known, it can be much more complicated than that. Fishers have a working knowledge of how to catch their prey, including using tools, patience and aptitude. All of which, and more, are employed when a fisher casts their net."

thelivingmonkey
2018-11-21, 11:48 AM
The description is hilarious (when you think it's on a super-hero wikia):

"Sometimes called trapping, Fishing is a term used to describe the ability of some characters to simply catch fish. However, "angling" as it's also known, it can be much more complicated than that. Fishers have a working knowledge of how to catch their prey, including using tools, patience and aptitude. All of which, and more, are employed when a fisher casts their net."

Given that criteria, what does it say about superheroes that there are so few entries?

It's like "Batman has the tools and the aptitude, he just lacks the patience and therefore cannot fish"

D.One
2018-11-21, 02:25 PM
Given that criteria, what does it say about superheroes that there are so few entries?

It's like "Batman has the tools and the aptitude, he just lacks the patience and therefore cannot fish"

Of course Batman can fish. He'll ninja the fishes into the net. Because he's Batman! :smallbiggrin:

PS: Any skill one may think Batman doesn't have is one skill he has under the general skill of "being Batman".

martianmister
2018-11-22, 04:10 AM
What does it say about Marvel universe?

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Fishing

D.One
2018-11-22, 05:54 AM
What does it say about Marvel universe?

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Fishing

It says no Marvel hero will ever be fed for a lifetime...