PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Brutus the Kaiju Hedgehog

Bohandas
2018-11-04, 05:26 PM
I got out pg 203 of the DMG and Dragon Magazine issue 289 and calculated the stats of the Brutus the kaiju hedgehog from the latest Handbook of Heroes comic (http://www.handbookofheroes.com/archives/comic/distress-signal#comment-20566)

Brutus (kaiju hedgehog)
Size/Type: Colossal Magical Beast (augmented animal)
HD: 40d10 + 440 (660)
Initiative: -4
Speed: 20 ft., Burrow 20 ft.
Armor Class: 27 (+29 Natural, -4 dex, -8 size), Defensive ball 29, flat-footed 27, touch -2,
Base Attack/Grapple: +40/+75
Attack: Bite +51 melee (4d8+19)
Full Attack: Bite +51 melee (4d8+19)
Space/Reach: 40x40/20ft
Special Attacks: Battle Roar, Breath Weapon, Poison, Improved Trample
Special Qualities: DR 15/Epic, Darkvision 120 feet, Defensive ball, Immune to Non-artifact mind control, Fire Resistance 50, SR 16
Saves: Fort +33, Ref +18, Will +14
Abilities: Str 49 Dex 2 Con 32 Int 2 Wis 12 Cha 25
Skills: Hide +9, Listen +19, Spot +19
Feats: Weapon Finesse, Battle Roar, Improved Trample (kaiju only gain feats per 4 hd above 32 hd)

Breath Weapon (Su): 100 foot line, 10d6 fire damage. Reflex DC 41 halves

Defensive Ball (Ex): Rolls into a ball as a standard action, granting a +2 circumstance bonus on saves and AC. Unrolling is a free action.

Poison (Ex): When in a defensive ball (see below), spines poison foes touching the hedgehog; injury, Fortitude DC 41, initial and secondary damage 1d2 Dex.

Battle Roar (Su): Move action. Causes All creatures under 6 HD within 1200 feet to become shaken. Creatures with 7HD or more receive a DC 37 will save to avoid being shaken. Deafened creatures are unaffected. A bard may use countersong to allow allies within 30 feet to use the bard's perform check in place of their save roll. This is a mind-affecting sonic effect.

Improved Trample: Can run over a gargantuan or smaller opponent as a standard action. Deals 4d12+10 damage (4d12+0 damage in defensive ball). This does not incur an attack of opportunity. Deals double damage to structures.

Immune to Mind-Influencing Effects: Immune to mind influencing effects except those originating from powerful artifacts or from deities.

theVoidWatches
2018-11-04, 06:07 PM
He should have a vulnerability to ballista.

Debihuman
2018-12-24, 04:41 AM
I like Brutus but it has a few issues. Also the Template is for 3.0 so it needed a bit of finagling to make it 3.5. The Kaiju Template is from Dragon Magazine 289. CR is based on the Template so it may not be accurate. That's one of the problems with Templates.

Creatures with only one attack apply 1 and 1/2 times their Str mod to damage. Weapon Finesse makes no sense for its feat since its Str is better than its Dex. I would say the Kaiju template should address this since many creatures will have Weapon Finesse as a base creature. They should be able to lose it when they gain this template and gain a more suitable Feat in its place. Just my 2 cents. YMMV. I know the hedgehog that I posted has weapon finesse as its feat but as a Kaiju this doesn't make sense. You can see my post on the hedgehog here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=15243295&postcount=12

I looked at the Pathfinder Hedgehog for base stats (and it has athletic as its feat). Because it has a swim skill due to the Athletic feat, I went ahead and gave it a Swim speed. Hedgehogs can indeed swim and are good swimmers so I'm giving them as +2 racial bonus to Swim. I'm also swapping the Climb skill for the Hide skill. It has a -16 for size and a -4 from Dex so it's a -20 to Hide so swapping that that for Climb as well. What works best for small creatures doesn't make sense often when you enlarge them.

If you prefer, this can just be a Unique Kaiju.

Brutus, Kaiju Giant Hedgehog
Colossal Magical Beast (Augmented Animal)
Hit Dice: 40d10 + 440 (660 hp)
Initiative: -4
Speed: 20 ft., Burrow 20 ft., Swim 10 ft.
Armor Class: 27 (+29 Natural, -4 Dex, -8 size), Defensive ball 29, flat-footed 27, touch -2,
Base Attack/Grapple: +40/+75
Attack: Bite +51 melee (4d8+28)
Full Attack: Bite +51 melee (4d8+28)
Space/Reach: 40 ft./20 ft.
Special Attacks: Battle Roar, Breath Weapon, Improved Trample, Poison,
Special Qualities: DR 15/Epic, Darkvision 120 feet, Defensive ball, Immune to Mind -Influencing Effects, Fire Resistance 50, SR 16
Saves: Fort +33, Ref +18, Will +14
Abilities: Str 49 Dex 2 Con 32 Int 2 Wis 12 Cha 25
Skills: Climb +21, Listen +19, Spot +19, Swim +23
Feats: Athletic, Battle Roar Dragon Magazine 289, Improved Trample Dragon Magazine 289
Environment: Any Land
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 15
Alignment: Neutral
Advancement: —
Level Adjustment: —

Battle Roar (Su): As a move equivalent action the kaiju can release a battle roar. A creature of 6 HD or less within 1,200 feet becomes shaken and suffers a -2 morale penalty to on attack rolls, weapon damage rolls, and saving throws. Creatures with 7 HD or more must make a Will saving throw (DC 37) to avoid the same effects. Deafened creatures or those that cannot hear are immune to the kaiju’s roar. A bard may use countersong to allow allies within 30 feet to use the bard's perform check in place of their save roll. This is a mind-affecting sonic effect.

Breath Weapon (Su): 100 foot line, 10d6 points of fire damage. Reflex DC 41 halves.

Defensive Ball (Ex): As a standard action the kaiju rolls into a ball gaining a +2 circumstance bonus on saves and AC. Unrolling is a free action.

Improved Trample (Ex): As a standard action during its turn each round, the kaiju can run over an opponent of Gargantuan size or smaller. The kaiju has merely to move over the opponent. The trample deals 4d12+10 points of damage. Due to the kaiju’s Improved Trample feat, trampled creatures cannot make an attack of opportunity. The kaiju also deals double damage against structures.

Immune to Mind-Influencing Effects: Immune to mind influencing effects except those originating from powerful artifacts or from deities.

Poison (Ex): When in a defensive ball (see below), spines poison foes touching the hedgehog; injury, Fortitude DC 41, initial and secondary damage 1d2 Dex.

Skills
Hedgehog kaijus have a +2 racial bonus to Swim skill and have +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. It can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. It can use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a straight line.

Debby

ngilop
2018-12-24, 06:06 AM
Hedgehogs are highly resistant if not flat out immune to most poison, so give Bruuts immunity to poison or at least a massive save vs poison.

Debihuman
2018-12-25, 09:30 PM
Hedgehogs are resistant to most venoms not necessarily poison. Venoms are poisons which are injected via bite or sting. I'd give the Kaiju immunity to venom specifically rather than all poison as it is closer to the base creature. YMMV. I like this idea.

Immune to Venom (Ex): Hedgehog kaiju are immune to venom specifically only poisons that are actively injected via a bite or sting.

Debby