PDA

View Full Version : Best Spore Druid race

Naanomi
2018-11-04, 07:32 PM
Assuming the Ravnica Spore Druid will be comparable to the UA version... and hoping to make a tanky frontline spore Druid... what race would fit best?

Hill Dwarf:
+Lots of extra HP
+Darkvision for dark dank places
+Can brew mushroom beer
+Can grow some mushrooms in the dank beard

Lizardman:
+Easy to manage low-level Armor
+Some increased HP via CON
+Underwater capabilities for mucky fungal places
+Appropriate bonus skills

Tortle:
+Easy armor throughout career
+Underwater capabilities for mucky fungal places
+One Appropriate bonus skill
+Can dump DEX for better mental stats
+Can grow mushrooms in the back of the shell

vexedart
2018-11-04, 08:18 PM
Too bad they don’t have Myconids available as a player race. Tortle idea sounds neat too though.

Grod_The_Giant
2018-11-04, 08:43 PM
Definitely Tortle. Dex-independent AC and a boost to a key stat make them excellent Druids for any purposes, but they're hands-down the best for melee Druids.

The other contender would probably be vHuman, as it usually is, for early Polearm Master.

Naanomi
2018-11-04, 09:08 PM
Definitely Tortle. Dex-independent AC and a boost to a key stat make them excellent Druids for any purposes, but they're hands-down the best for melee Druids.
I lean that way too, although +2 HP/Level from Hill-Dwarf is arguable if you plan on getting to high levels (where you are more likely to have found exotic armor options to equal the tortle AC anyways)

Son of A Lich!
2018-11-04, 10:32 PM
From a pure optimal standpoint, it's hard to ignore the Tortle. Good stat bumps, AC is good, and you can easily ignore wisdom and still use spell casting for BC effects and some good ol' minionmancy, which the Druid is already a pretty good at without sacrificing much. The boost to strength isn't lost with Wild shaping, which isn't ideal but Spore druids want to be in the midst of it all anyway.

Not gonna lie, I like any aquatic race too, even if it's for purely aesthetic reasons. Fungal growths coming from the wet people is just the right amount of ick for me.

For standard array, I'd go;

Str: 16
Dex: 12
Con: 15
Int: 10
Wis: 14
Chr: 8

Probably not too charming, but a solid AC, Great con, strength, and decent Wisdom, passable Dex for saves, and I think the Circle's temp HP from wild shaping is will be fantastic when used well.

I would kinda like to see them be a bit more mobile though... (I'm smartless! I thought they had a speed of 20, probably because turtles.)

I really like the precedent that Spore Druid sets for other classes. I Wish they lost the ability to wild shape and it was replaced with the Symbiotic Entity, Halo of Spores was an AOE Necrotic damage, that Symbiotic Entity doubled the effective area for Halo, and maybe change Spore Cloud to bonus action but it can be used in place of an OA, or something like that. This would make Spore Druids the coolest tanking class, in my opinion.

It's still effective, and really interesting, and I'm happy that there is a class that changes the flavor of a pretty rigid class thus far. Druids have always had an issue of being really samey in flavor, but this helps push them into a new interesting direction.

8wGremlin
2018-11-05, 12:18 AM
Is Warforged allowed?
As you get decent ac as well.

Grod_The_Giant
2018-11-05, 07:34 AM
I lean that way too, although +2 HP/Level from Hill-Dwarf is arguable if you plan on getting to high levels (where you are more likely to have found exotic armor options to equal the tortle AC anyways)
Eh, not so much when Spore Druid is giving you boatloads of temporary HP.

Zanthy1
2018-11-05, 08:03 AM
Is Warforged allowed?
As you get decent ac as well.

Warforged would be awesome. High AC just from exisiting, and with the Shillelagh cantrip you don't really need many stats aside from WIS and CON

Damon_Tor
2018-11-05, 09:26 AM
Eh, not so much when Spore Druid is giving you boatloads of temporary HP.

Right. And apparently (I haven't verified this myself) spore druids now lose their spore damage when they run out of those tHP. That means that a feature that protects those tHP from damage (like the Tortle's natural armor) is going to have an edge over a trait that gives you more standard hitpoints.

Interesting note: being able to hold your breath for an hour can be better than being able to breathe water, making options like hiding in a bag of holding while a tiny creature you've charmed carries it far far away possible.

Mr.Spastic
2018-11-05, 06:16 PM
I'm surprised that nobody said humans yet. I suggest going with a high str human with the Weapon Master feat as the bonus feat. Grab something like a stone maul covered in mushrooms and just pile on the damage. Alternatively you could go for 14 dex with a shield and get hide armor to be a 16 already. Have a high wisdom and use shillelagh. If your rolling, or just want a better wisdom, grab the keen mind feat. Plays off how fungus kind of act like neural networks. I will be playing a character like this and his backstory was that he was a noble and when sent to study at a prestigious academy for wizards where he had an "enlightening" experience with some mystical mushrooms. I was also thinking of grabbing magic initiate for booming blade but we'll see where it goes.