PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Roleplaying a reincarnated druid

Lehrling
2018-11-04, 09:57 PM
My 'Reincarnated' druid (the archetype) character is inspired by The Master from Doctor Who. He is a highly intelligent (thanks to being venerable) and kindly old man, with no knowledge of his past, with the possibility of someday regaining his memories (at the GM's discretion) and turning Chaotic Evil.

In the meantime, he can still reincarnate. However, the rest of the party does not know this yet; he has yet to reincarnate, and before it happens I was wanting to get some advice as to what opportunities might be available to me that only someone in my unique situation can take advantage of.

It's worth noting that while he is a kind old man, the party doesn't treat him very nicely; often mocking his frailty and amnesia, making him the butt of many pranks and jokes. So mischief or some mild revenge isn't out of the question, and has the GM's full blessing.

Feantar
2018-11-04, 10:59 PM
If you can, please add the pathfinder tag to your post. I initially wrote this based on the reincarnate spell, until I got what you meant by archetype.

When you say opportunities, do you mean obscure mechanics, or are you looking for ideas in general? It is unclear what you are asking.

On the mischief part, keep in mind that druids and fey are generally friendly, fey are immortal and have long memories, he is effectively immortal, and an immortal druid definitely has a couple of favors owed to him by the one race that is called mischievous and isn't widely hated by everyone (that being the kender).

On the reincarnation part, if he has lost his memories due to a physical affliction (say, a concussion causing brain damage), reincarnate repairs all physical afflictions. So if you want a memory trigger, reincarnation would definitely work. On the other hand, Derek Jacobi is a better actor than John Simm :P

Note: If your druid becomes chaotic evil, they cannot cast spells or use druid abilities. Druids need to have a neutral side to their alignment. Easiest way to address this, is to just make him neutral evil. A little less easy is to hand wave the requirement.

Lehrling
2018-11-04, 11:30 PM
If you can, please add the pathfinder tag to your post. I initially wrote this based on the reincarnate spell, until I got what you meant by archetype.

Will do.

When you say opportunities, do you mean obscure mechanics, or are you looking for ideas in general? It is unclear what you are asking.

Ideas in general, specifically roleplay. I am nowhere near as smart as my character, so I need help crafting elaborate plots worthy of a 20 int character. Obscure mechanics would not be unwelcome, however.

On the mischief part, keep in mind that druids and fey are generally friendly, fey are immortal and have long memories, he is effectively immortal, and an immortal druid definitely has a couple of favors owed to him by the one race that is called mischievous and isn't widely hated by everyone (that being the kender).

Good info, but wouldn't really work if he doesn't remember said favors. :P

On the reincarnation part, if he has lost his memories due to a physical affliction (say, a concussion causing brain damage), reincarnate repairs all physical afflictions. So if you want a memory trigger, reincarnation would definitely work. On the other hand, Derek Jacobi is a better actor than John Simm :P

It is not physical; it is a magical effect with no supporting mechanics, just a backstory fact that was approved by the GM. It is likely he will never become 'The Master'; I mostly made the character as fan service for the Whovian players at the table. :P

Note: If your druid becomes chaotic evil, they cannot cast spells or use druid abilities. Druids need to have a neutral side to their alignment. Easiest way to address this, is to just make him neutral evil. A little less easy is to hand wave the requirement.

Thanks for the reminder, I had forgotten that.

Dr_Dinosaur
2018-11-05, 01:56 AM
I’ve been wanting to play one for a while, as someone who’s all about experiencing everything. When death is a minor setback, why *not* eat that? Talk to the stranger? Go there? The world’s your oyster and if that oyster poisons you then no big deal!