PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Fleshing out a character

KyleG
2018-11-05, 02:15 AM
I would like some ideas for fleshing out a character.
He is A Gnome Barbarian Ador Merrytime Yanis Goodbody (or Ador M.Y. Goodbody)
He is like if The Rock made a baby with a halfling and they made a mini-Maui. He is a little arrogant?, vain? and likes the public attention.
He is the kind of guy who walks into the bar after a successful/fruitful day shouts the patrons a round loudly and spends the night telling yarns with the drinking patrons whilst only paying lip service to his own drinking. Also flirts indiscriminately but has no follow thru.
He is very HULK SMASH in combat gloats after a take down (probably standing ontop of the fallen) but not a show pony to annoy his team its more for himself.

So the original background idea was entertainer but im not so sure anymore...i think in reality he is hiding a deep insecurity because he (im just throwing this out there) is a eunuch.

ImNotTrevor
2018-11-05, 07:44 AM
Friend, I may have a thing for you.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RDLohjoWcB1D1y4RZjH4OQ2nvGXpFrK1Ytlw2zQ4p3U/edit?usp=drivesdk

There's also my 5-question Character Builder, but you seem to have most of this info. I'll include it regardless:

1. What is the character's name, and what do they do?
2. What do they want?
3. What is preventing them from getting it?
4. What are they willing to do about it?
5. How will their unique talents/abilities help and hinder them in this goal?

All those questions together should be plenty and a half.

denthor
2018-11-05, 12:04 PM
Look at the skill set.

How did he learn what he learned.

Look at alignment. Is he N something or C something.

You have a personality he is a brash braggert. What type of bar? Do the patrons whip it out and pee on the walls? Do they have manners in his bar?

Can he be talked into something like giving up a magic item.

Fleshing out is not a back story fleshing out is role play a consistent almost predictable behavior. Does do private duels in a dueling circle. Can he be baited into things.

His intelligence wisdom stats please. Intelligence this an idea (good bad) wisdom how much planning for idea. Age of character helps. As you get older the mind remembers the body can not perform.

I know the suggestions I give are exactly what other want to avoid. But it does work.

KyleG
2018-11-05, 05:15 PM
Look at the skill set.
How did he learn what he learned.

Look at alignment. Is he N something or C something.

You have a personality he is a brash braggert. What type of bar? Do the patrons whip it out and pee on the walls? Do they have manners in his bar?

Can he be talked into something like giving up a magic item.

Fleshing out is not a back story fleshing out is role play a consistent almost predictable behavior. Does do private duels in a dueling circle. Can he be baited into things.

His intelligence wisdom stats please. Intelligence this an idea (good bad) wisdom how much planning for idea. Age of character helps. As you get older the mind remembers the body can not perform.

I know the suggestions I give are exactly what other want to avoid. But it does work.

So ive come up with some backstory that might help. He was a feral child found in the wild and brought into a less than friendly traveling circus. Maybe tortured, drugged to keep him wild and aggressive for the show. Castrated at some point. Escaped. At this points im getting hints of Varys from game of thrones. (Insert intervening years). 15+ years later now more civilized. So he's perhaps 30-40 years old.
Stats wise he ends up being 15/15/15/8/10/12 after racial mods. Considering more wisdom at the expense of dexterity but just not sure.
I think his feral nature us now "controlled" as barbarian rage but I suspect he is quick to anger perhaps when he sees others being abused.
Alignments I've come to realise pigeonhole too much. He is maybe neutral good.But could he/could he already have killed his abuser, maybe.
I'd also lean towards totem warrior on account of his wild and circus? history.

I don't know what his goals are he seems fairly carefree take what comes my way sort of person.

denthor
2018-11-05, 05:41 PM
Based on the wisdom impulsive. If someone he trusts tells him this is a bad idea he may change actions.

He is a know it all with nothing to back it up. Bad logic wrong words but basically correct. Remember he could be a wizard.

Speaking of which unless he took the ranks in linguistics. He can not write or read. Also why wrong words.

Example ring non detect does not make you show a Nuetral alignment. It makes you invisible to clerics and paladins. No it really does if your evil they can not see you. Somebody corrects him he hits them with his non lethal fist.

KyleG
2018-11-05, 06:50 PM
I think a know it all is a stretch. He brags about his strength and his body perhaps (which is honest) but no not a know it all. Reading and writing I think you are correct. But wisdom is that of a commoner so seems ok.

KyleG
2018-11-06, 01:22 AM
I've had another think. I wonder whether he might be older:
In the wild until 13?
Side show attraction until 20?
Spent the last 20 learning to act more human. Learnt to read simple text but not write. Probably was a labourer/builder with his strength.
Found an ideal that seems to fit. Freedom. I never fit into society and I have found the only way to be content is to express myself without regard for rules. And a flaw that speaks true.
I am impulsive. I often follow my whims even when it’s inappropriate.