PDA

View Full Version : What's the most off the wall class multiclass combo you can think of?

CTurbo
2018-11-05, 11:40 AM
I was just wondering what a Monk/Wizard would be like. Other than being MAD I think a couple Monk levels could really help out a Wizard and vice versa.

Tiadoppler
2018-11-05, 11:59 AM
Wizard/Anything is pretty strange, unless it's a dip for a specific bonus.

Bard/Cleric.

Ranger/Sorcerer.

Windwaert
2018-11-05, 12:05 PM
Wizard/Barbarian or Sorcerer/Barbarian are unexpected because of the asynergy.

iTreeby
2018-11-05, 12:05 PM
Monk/druid wildshape puncher is pretty wierd.

Paladin/druid smite horse riding horse

Eagle totem barbarian/ chain warlock really good familiar vision.

Wizard/warrior/rogue trying to be a Swiftblade from 3.5.

Ranger/sorcerer putting Metamagic on Ranger spells?

Lots of these let you optimize something while sacrificing... Other things.

Man_Over_Game
2018-11-05, 12:06 PM
I think a better challenge might be creating an odd multiclass combo that WORKS. Otherwise, picking a Barbarian and any kind of caster that isn't Warlock would be a valid answer without much creativity. Or any two casters who have different spell modifiers but little-to-no passive abilities that don't require a modifier to be relevant. Like Clerics and Wizards, who are both modifier dependent and use different modifiers. Or the unarmored warriors investing into the armored ones, because Extra Attack doesn't stack and the armor options don't work well together (Fighter 2-3 is the exception, due to the high power provided by those first few levels).

A good example is 1 Druid, going into Inquisitive Rogue. Get Shillelagh, Magic Stone, and the druid level 1 spell list for utility, max out on Wisdom, and use things like Perception and Insight from your Rogue features with stupidly high values, while getting sneak attacks from your enhanced quarterstaff and Magic Stones shot from a sling. You'd be a low Dex Rogue, using the medium armor provided by Druid.

Another one could be Bladesinger Wizard, getting some levels into Rogue to eventually get Swashbuckler. The extra speed from Bladesinger, the increased initiative and hit-and-run effect from Swashbucker, the Dash/Disengage/Hide option from Rogue, and the sneak attack use will mean that your wizard will be a highly mobile and dangerous melee fighter who dances around in combat. You don't need much Charisma, but it will help with your initiative and Performance skill you get from being a Bladesinger. Lastly, since you can regularly use your bonus action for your attacks, you can afford to use spells that slow enemies down that don't consume your bonus action, further improving your ability to maneuver around them.

iTreeby
2018-11-05, 12:08 PM
Mad multiclass is going to be an issue for many of these I suspect.

Windwaert
2018-11-05, 12:10 PM
A good example is 1 Druid, going into Inquisitive Rogue. Get Shillelagh, Magic Stone, and the druid level 1 spell list for utility, max out on Wisdom, and use things like Perception and Insight from your Rogue features with stupidly high values, while getting sneak attacks from your enhanced quarterstaff and Magic Stones shot from a sling. You'd be a low Dex Rogue, using the medium armor provided by Druid.

I like that idea, but how do you get sneak attack with a Shillelagh (not finesse or ranged weapon)?

Man_Over_Game
2018-11-05, 12:17 PM
I like that idea, but how do you get sneak attack with a Shillelagh (not finesse or ranged weapon)?

Aff, you're right. For some reason, I thought the inquisitive bypassed that with the BA ability they have, but I was wrong.

On a side note, I'm pretty sure Shillelagh can be twinned. And it can target Clubs.

So...Druid 1, Sorcerer 2, Ranger X, maxing out nothing but Wisdom, and just beating people over the heads with two 1d8 + Wisdom Clubs. The catch is that your AC would be terrible so...I guess get some Strength?

Windwaert
2018-11-05, 12:22 PM
Aff, you're right. For some reason, I thought the inquisitive bypassed that with the BA ability they have, but I was wrong.

Yeah, too bad. I had the same idea at some point. It's a shame really, because it would make an otherwise IMHO lackluster Inquisitive Rogue kinda cool.

So...Druid 1, Sorcerer 1, Ranger X, maxing out nothing but Wisdom, and just beating people over the heads with two 1d8 + Wisdom Clubs. The catch is that your AC would be terrible so...I guess get some Strength?

Hmmm, maybe go Warforged, dump STR and have respectable WIS, DEX, AC, and CON.

EDIT: You need Sorcerer 3... Grab Shillelagh with a Feat I guess. Still, your extra attack will be delayed to L8.

elyktsorb
2018-11-05, 12:25 PM
I mean if I get the chance I will absolutely play my 8 class character. ( Barbarian/Bard/Life Cleric/Druid/Fighter/Monk/Rogue/Shadow Sorcerer )

iTreeby
2018-11-05, 12:28 PM

On a side note, I'm pretty sure Shillelagh can be twinned. And it can target Clubs.

So...Druid 1, Sorcerer 2, Ranger X, maxing out nothing but Wisdom, and just beating people over the heads with two 1d8 + Wisdom Clubs. The catch is that your AC would be terrible so...I guess get some Strength?
If you dont have it precast, you lose out on your first round of offhand attacks because you need your bonus action to cast and attack.

Honestly we need a nature sorcerer subclass.

CTurbo
2018-11-05, 12:41 PM
Is Paladin/Monk the MADest combo needing 13 in 4 different stats? Paladin 6/Monk 14 would never fail a save again though lol and imagine the smiting fist nova potential

Rogues and Fighters go too well with everything to be considered "odd" IMO. Bladesinger/Swashbuckler is an excellent combo.

I actually have an idea for a Wizard/Barbarian build that I would play like a straight Wizard, but gets really made and throws tantrums when he runs out of spells.

I also have an idea for a Monk/Barbarian that I would rp as a Dr Jekyl/Mr Hyde type character. Maybe even keep a "potion" that I had to drink to keep myself from "turning"

I think Monks and Wizards are probably the two hardest classes to multiclass effectively though followed by maybe the Druid. Other than Fighters and Rogues, not much goes well with them easily.

Vogie
2018-11-05, 12:43 PM
Barbarian with a War Wizard dip is pretty sweet.

Moon Druid with Ancestral Guardian Barbarian

Rogue with a dip in Bladesinger

Inquisitive Rogue with a dip in Nature Cleric for the Magic Stone Sling cheese mentioned above.

Moon Druid & Blade warlock - Polearm Master Gorilla!

cyberfunkr
2018-11-05, 06:37 PM

I love this concept, but unfortunately the foundation, twinning Shillelagh, won't work. The description for Twin Spell specifically calls out casting on a creature, not an object.

When you cast a spell that doesn't have a range of self and is incapable of targeting more than one creature at the spell's current level, you can spend a number of sorcery points equal to the spell's level to target a second creature in range with the same spell (1 sorcery point if the spell is a cantrip).

Barring that:

You should get at least to level 5 Ranger to get the extra attack
You need at least 3 levels in Sorcerer to get the Twinning Spell skill. But really should go to 4 to get the ASI/Feat
Plus one level of Druid
First ASI to get Dual Wielder, and the second to get War Caster (You're hands are full and you need to be holding both clubs at the time of casting Shillelagh)

You could get the two feats earlier by going Variant Human, but that limits your starting Ability Scores.

I'd love to try it out, but you wouldn't really get what you're hoping for until level 10.

Man_Over_Game
2018-11-05, 06:44 PM
I love this concept, but unfortunately the foundation, twinning Shillelagh, won't work. The description for Twin Spell specifically calls out casting on a creature, not an object.

Barring that:

You should get at least to level 5 Ranger to get the extra attack
You need at least 3 levels in Sorcerer to get the Twinning Spell skill. But really should go to 4 to get the ASI/Feat
Plus one level of Druid
First ASI to get Dual Wielder, and the second to get War Caster (You're hands are full and you need to be holding both clubs at the time of casting Shillelagh)

You could get the two feats earlier by going Variant Human, but that limits your starting Ability Scores.

I'd love to try it out, but you wouldn't really get what you're hoping for until level 10.

Clubs are actually light weapons, so you don't need to have the Dual Wielder feat. It doesn't make anything else less valid, though.

Trustypeaches
2018-11-05, 07:04 PM
I was planning on making a Circle of Spores Druid / Death Domain Cleric multiclassed character that I'm theming as a "swamp witch".

Should be fun.

Aett_Thorn
2018-11-05, 08:14 PM
Paramander Build from 2E - it's a Paladin/Wizard build. Extremely MAD, but if you can work around that somehow, it's pretty effective. An Abjuration, War Wizard, or even Enchanter Wizard can work wonders for a Paladin base. Heck, a Conjurer would be great if there's a true squishy being attacked, since you can swap places with them and then unload some smites on your enemies.

Crgaston
2018-11-05, 08:54 PM
I haven’t played one, but I like the idea of 2 levels of Shepherd Druid on a Mastermind Rogue. 1/SR using the Hawk Spirit Totem lets you grant Advantage as a reaction, so combined with the Mastermind Bonus Action Help, you’re granting Advantage to 2 different allies’ attacks and you still have your action available. And you can turn into a critter. And talk to them, making them your spies (well, sources of information, anyway). You don’t NEED a super high Wisdom for this, since you’re primarily using Druid for utility, but it isn’t too expensive to start up with a 16 in Dex and Wis, especially as a Wood Elf.

CTurbo
2018-11-05, 09:15 PM
Paramander Build from 2E - it's a Paladin/Wizard build. Extremely MAD, but if you can work around that somehow, it's pretty effective. An Abjuration, War Wizard, or even Enchanter Wizard can work wonders for a Paladin base. Heck, a Conjurer would be great if there's a true squishy being attacked, since you can swap places with them and then unload some smites on your enemies.

Imagine a Oathbreaker Paladin 7/Necromancer 13 build

xyianth
2018-11-05, 11:02 PM
One build that sort of resembles an ultimate magus from 3.5 is: shadow sorcerer 1/divination wizard 6/shadow sorcerer +13. You get a ridiculous number of spells per day by casting mostly mind spikes and taking advantage of sorcery point conversions. If you pick sorcerer spells that don't rely on casting stat, you can be pretty SAD on intelligence as well.

Arkhios
2018-11-06, 05:03 AM
Wizard/Barbarian or Sorcerer/Barbarian are unexpected because of the asynergy.

Funny enough, just a while ago I made a surprisingly functional (at least on paper) Barbarian/Wizard build ending up with what essentially counts as a half-caster (barbarian 10/wizard 10, using point-buy only, which could be altered to work with sorcerer with only minor changes.)

The key is to realize, that you don't really need to have Strength (or, for that matter, Intelligence) up the wazoo to be effective. 14-16 is quite enough in the long run, and provided your DM lets you freely craft magic items, you can patch up the low ability scores with magic items.

BobZan
2018-11-06, 05:25 AM
Tortle Bear Barbarian 4 / Paladin 16

Resistance
High AC
High Saves
Nova Damage

Desteplo
2018-11-06, 02:50 PM
Bardbarian
6/14 between them. Heavy mosh pit Status. Maybe even glamour with tavern brawler. Start swinging your instrument between a solo and commanding audience to brawl on their own.

Eagle/bear totem barbarian and war cleric
6/14
Super party advantage+ party buffs
-go half orc trying to win favor with grumsh. Essentially after barbarian 6 you have all the orc Traits from Volos. So full orc blood. Then go into service as a war cleric under his eye

Kensai or drunken master monk/bladesinger wizard
18/2 or 11/9
Full weapon specialty with high ac.
Or high ac with combat tricks
Fit in 3 lvls fighter for battlemaster

Man_Over_Game
2018-11-06, 03:26 PM
Bardbarian
6/14 between them. Heavy mosh pit Status. Maybe even glamour with tavern brawler. Start swinging your instrument between a solo and commanding audience to brawl on their own.

Eagle/bear totem barbarian and war cleric
6/14
Super party advantage+ party buffs
-go half orc trying to win favor with grumsh. Essentially after barbarian 6 you have all the orc Traits from Volos. So full orc blood. Then go into service as a war cleric under his eye

Kensai or drunken master monk/bladesinger wizard
18/2 or 11/9
Full weapon specialty with high ac.
Or high ac with combat tricks
Fit in 3 lvls fighter for battlemaster

I can't see the Bardbarian working too well. The Barbarian Rogue seems to work better in most instances, especially since you don't have anything competing for your bonus action, so you can easily afford to go Battlerager and just hug people to death.

I see a similar problem to the Totem Barbarian + Cleric. A lot of this can be summarized by going Berserker for a similar playstyle, without magic and Rage conflicts.

Option 3 also has a problem, as the Blade spells don't work with Unarmed Strike, and your Bladesinging doesn't work with ranged weapons. I can, however, see this working out with Drunken Master instead, due to it's high levels of AC and less reliance on the ranged weapon portion. Get in close, then cast THUNDERWAVE.

MaxWilson
2018-11-06, 03:40 PM
I was just wondering what a Monk/Wizard would be like. Other than being MAD I think a couple Monk levels could really help out a Wizard and vice versa.

Off-the-wall but still fun? My two favorites are Death Monk/Conquest Paladin/Fiendlock (aiming eventually for 12/6/2) and Divine Soul/Shepherd Druid/Celestialock (aiming for 4/11/5).

Off-the-wall in a bad way? I dunno, Fighter/Barbarian has always stuck me as a bad idea, so Champion 5/Storm Barb 10/Conquest Paladin 5 has got to be even worse, right? Paladin/Land Druid is also kind of weird and probably bad due to armor issues. (Yes, you get more spell slots for smiting, but smiting isn't even very good.)

Valor Bard/Sun Soul Monk is weird and bad. Too much redundancy, not enough synergy, too much competition for levels and stats.

sithlordnergal
2018-11-06, 03:41 PM
Hmmm, off the wall class combos. Well, I have played a few interesting multiclasses, and have some interesting multiclasses in the works:

First up is my Paladin/Sorcerer/Druid.

Now, this really works best if you have a DM open to allowing Druids to wear metal armor. While there are no mechanical issues with it, some DMs have issues with Druids wearing metal armor. But, if your DM does allow it, you have a pretty interesting Tank/Support unit.

Personally I went Oath of the Ancients / Divine Soul / Circle of Dreams. It is very MAD though, and I can only make it work with the Half Elf. The real trick is focusing on just one casting stat. Personally, I focused on Wisdom to improve my Druid casting.

Next up is my own little challenge: Paladin / Sorcerer / Bard / Warlock / Fighter

My basic rule for this build was no more then 4 levels in a class, while still making a viable build.

tieren
2018-11-06, 04:14 PM

I'm playing a monk/wizard right now. Just taking teleport spells with the wizard levels (and shield and absorb elements) [blink, misty step, dimension door, thunder step, scatter, steel wind strike, etc...]. He teleports around stabbing kicking and back flipping, he's my nightcrawler.

UnintensifiedFa
2018-11-06, 04:21 PM
Monk-Paladin, requires 4 13s, but cool If you rolled insanely high. Nothing quite like smiting fists of doom.

A wisdom and a charisma class. These are interesting, although typically not optimized, I like the idea of a brave, sagacious, loving, and kind leader. Who is the paragon of everything you should be.