PDA

View Full Version : Must love cats..

Rtgamer
2018-11-05, 12:20 PM
So the next gaming adventure our group will undertake is DnD5e. we've rolled our stats and have chosen our prefered race and class. Our Veteran DM has granted a free 1st feat to all PCs ("as the bad guys get them too in the deal")
I've chosen to RP a tabaxi. To me; cats are just plain roguish.. and the (Mobile) feat just melds like it's appropriate. GATO' best numbers are in Dex and Cha then Wis.
expertise in stealth and perception.
All of the above mentioned stuff looks like a Swashbuckler. Racial modifier provided a 20 Dex.
This one wants to stay one classed, and feat his way up through the path.
Would any of you kind Sages share comment/ suggestions for future feats focusing on the cat in him, and that he's not a puss in boots?
Thank you

Man_Over_Game
2018-11-05, 12:27 PM
So the next gaming adventure our group will undertake is DnD5e. we've rolled our stats and have chosen our prefered race and class. Our Veteran DM has granted a free 1st feat to all PCs ("as the bad guys get them too in the deal")
I've chosen to RP a tabaxi. To me; cats are just plain roguish.. and the (Mobile) feat just melds like it's appropriate. GATO' best numbers are in Dex and Cha then Wis.
All of the above mentioned stuff looks like a Swashbuckler. Racial modifier provided a 20 Dex.
Would any of you kind Sages share comment/ suggestions for future feats focusing on the cat in him, and that he's not a puss in boots?
Thank you

Observant comes to mind immediately. Goes well with the skills of a Rogue.

Since your Dex is already maxed out, Dual Wielder will give you most of the same effectiveness of another +2 into Dex (increasing damage on both weapons and increases AC by +1). That'll put your AC at a high 18, better than what most other Dex classes can dream of.

Skulker, for obvious reasons.

Savage Attacker. Why? Because Sneak Attack damage is weapon damage, so now you can reroll it in case your damage sucked. Cats can be pretty vicious.

In order, I'd get Dual Wielder, Observant, Skulker, then Savage Attacker, with Skulker and Observant being variable in the order with how much your team needs you to stealth vs. being a scout.

Savage Attacker will have more value the more sneak attack dice you have, so it should always be last on the list. At level 16 (your last feat), you'd have 8d6 sneak attack damage. Normally, the average of that is 28, but Savage Attacker would increase that by almost 10 damage on average.

Your main weaknesses will be your low Constitution value as a melee warrior, so try to pick magic items that increase AC, saves, or other defensive abilities, as your damage will be fine throughout the game. Alternatively, 1 level into Hexblade will grant you Shield and some other benefits to killing bosses, so it'd be pretty synergistic. Due to your low defensive capabilities, I recommend Observant earlier than Skulker, but it's almost even.

JakOfAllTirades
2018-11-05, 01:58 PM
Sneak attack damage isn't weapon damage, and the Savage Attacker feat won't let you reroll Sneak Attack dice. I'd pick something else.

ImproperJustice
2018-11-05, 02:02 PM
Grab Magic Initiate: Druid somewhere along the way.

Take Guidance, Something fun and then Animal Friendship.
Then bond with a pet cat.

I like the idea of going as “Cat crazy as possible”.

MilkmanDanimal
2018-11-05, 02:34 PM
Grab Magic Initiate: Druid somewhere along the way.

Take Guidance, Something fun and then Animal Friendship.
Then bond with a pet cat.

I like the idea of going as “Cat crazy as possible”.

Or Wizard, to get Find Familiar, for a cat familiar, and Prestidigitation (to knock things off tables) and Mold Earth (who wants to scoop their own litter boxes, right).

Man_Over_Game
2018-11-05, 03:22 PM
Sneak attack damage isn't weapon damage, and the Savage Attacker feat won't let you reroll Sneak Attack dice. I'd pick something else.

You're right, just confirmed that. Sorry about that mistake.

Totally forgot about Dungeon Delver. Definitely a good option, especially when combined with Observant.

New order would be Dual Wielder, Dungeon Delver, Skulker, Observant. You can swap out Skulker for Tough, if you find you're doing more melee combat than stealth.

nickl_2000
2018-11-05, 03:25 PM
Or Wizard, to get Find Familiar, for a cat familiar, and Prestidigitation (to knock things off tables) and Mold Earth (who wants to scoop their own litter boxes, right).

Disagree. You need Find Familiar for a cat, Gust, and Mage hand. That lets you knock things off shelves in the most possible and lazy ways. In fact, my next character will be a Tabaxi Arcane Trickster to have exactly this option. Although, I'm going to push and see if I can get a Tressym familiar.

CTurbo
2018-11-05, 04:01 PM
My Tabaxi Swashbuckler with Mobile is an awesome character! You'll love it!

I recommend Mobile, and Magic Initiate for Booming Blade, Minor Illusion, and Find Familiar.
Sentinel is also a VERY strong offensive feat for Rogues letting you get extra sneak attack damage with your reaction.
Dual Wielder is good, but does not play nice with Booming Blade. Swashbucklers can make good use of TWF though.
Lucky is always a great late pick.
I'd take Tough if Con is low, and low to me is less than 14
Alert if you REALLY REALLY REALLY want to always go first lol
Ritual Caster is always useful. Gives you things to do outside of combat and scouting.
Defensive Duelist is another good late pick. It's a better use of your reaction than Uncanny Dodge.

I don't like Savage Attacker at all. I only like Skulker for archers.

You'd get a lot of feats. You could almost take every one I listed lol

ImproperJustice
2018-11-05, 06:22 PM
This thread has inspired me to build a “Nekomancer”.

Tabaxi Druid, Circle of Moon or Shepherd with Magic Initiate for Find Familar.

Cat Familar, Cat buddies with animal friendship, and either empowered cat summoning or shape changing into a cat.

Use Polymorph to change people into cats.
Offer cat blessings with Enhance Ability (Cat’s grace of course) and Darkvision.

Mr.Spastic
2018-11-05, 06:45 PM
Didn't anybody else notice that Swashbuckler is not a good choice if you have mobile. Swashbuckler allows you to not take mobile. I would recommend one or the other, not both. I would suggest keeping mobile and go thief, (you climbing speed becomes thirty and you can't even have to role athletics) or scout (more fun expertise and having fun movement options to never get in melee)

CTurbo
2018-11-05, 08:33 PM
Didn't anybody else notice that Swashbuckler is not a good choice if you have mobile. Swashbuckler allows you to not take mobile. I would recommend one or the other, not both. I would suggest keeping mobile and go thief, (you climbing speed becomes thirty and you can't even have to role athletics) or scout (more fun expertise and having fun movement options to never get in melee)

Tabaxi already get a climbing speed. Yes Swashbucklers already get a free disengage, but the extra 10ft movement from Mobile is still useful and boosts the Tabaxi's climbing speed too as well as being able to ignore difficult terrain on a dash.

Trustypeaches
2018-11-05, 11:29 PM
Tabaxi already get a climbing speed. Yes Swashbucklers already get a free disengage, but the extra 10ft movement from Mobile is still useful and boosts the Tabaxi's climbing speed too as well as being able to ignore difficult terrain on a dash.
It’s not useless, but I’d prioritize picking up Magic Initiate Warlock / Wizard to pick up Booming Blade so you can actually abuse that free disengage.

XmonkTad
2018-11-06, 10:46 AM
Swashbuckler plus Alert feat? This way you get a huge initiative bonus. You can always buy a pet cat right?

thoroughlyS
2018-11-06, 12:28 PM
The point wasn't to drop Mobile, it was to go with a different archetype, and I would like to second that opinion.

It’s not useless, but I’d prioritize picking up Magic Initiate Warlock / Wizard to pick up Booming Blade so you can actually abuse that free disengage.
I'd actually advocate for the reverse of this situation. Keep mobile, and go arcane trickster for scaling access to spells.

Rtgamer
2018-11-06, 06:11 PM
Swashbuckler plus Alert feat? This way you get a huge initiative bonus. You can always buy a pet cat right?

Yes, I agree. With everything you're conveying here. St11,Dx20,Cn12,In11,Wi14,Ch16.
I saw Tabaxi. I built a mobile rogue. Swashbuckler felt like a natural archetype for this furry Far Traveler.
Alert is in keeping with this builds Cat style. I don't intend to ever Multi Class or cast. I do hope to avoid prolonged contact with enemy types, hit and dash, hit and hide. Purrsuing his Quest for the legendary necklace of nine lives.

Ivor_The_Mad
2018-11-06, 06:35 PM
Thank you

Tabaxi monk (drunken master) This is one of my favorite combos. You get insane speed and by 20th you can run over 300mph. basically, you are a super fast monk cat who bounces of the walls wacking people in the face. You get a bonus speed from monk plus the feline agility. So fun. I have also made several posts about it.