PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Of Unbound Bindings and Rewards

Feantar
2018-11-05, 06:00 PM
Can planar binding be cast without a magic circle? Would good outsiders ask rewards for doing deeds such as saving someone's soul from being stolen?
A recent thread on planar binding and slavery brought to mind a past campaign and a question that welled up in one situation within said campaign.

Our party had encountered a cult led by an alienist, worshiping a being and/or a group of beings that called themselves Speakers in the Silence (or something to that effect) hailing from the far realm. They had managed to create an effect in which created a type of co-location of the far realm and the material (think a Xoriat Manifest Zone from Eberron). The way it worked is, they made a plantlike growth that functioned like the heroes of horror taint, and the souls of the people who were tainted were post-mortem forced through the barrier of the planes rupturing it and causing small pinholes to form. As you can tell, that also resulted in people not actually going to the standard afterlife, but becoming permanent residents.

At this point in the story, we managed to kill the alienist but not before he managed to cast Phantasmal Killer on a little boy we rescued. The reason was that the barrier was really weak and one more soul could rupture it completely. That meant that, very very soon, the boy's soul would be lost as none of us had any resurrection magic. But my wizard(Celestial Mystic) had a scroll of Lesser Planar Binding.

So my plan was as follows. I bind a Movanic Deva and clarify the situation in an expeditious manner, then offer her carte blanche on what reward she gets for saving a child's soul by raising him(as we could not waste time bargaining).

And here's the kicker: I did not have any Magic Circle spells available. Now the DM liked the idea, so she ruled that since the spell cannot be cast without a magic circle, the scroll included the circle.

Two questions derive from that:

Can planar binding even be cast without the Magic Circle against Alignment? Because the text implies it cannot, but the Dread Necromancer spell list implies it can.

Would you, as a DM, have the Deva ask for a reward?

PunBlake
2018-11-06, 12:08 PM
IMO, this is basically converting Planar Binding into Planar Ally, which seems fine and not game-breaking.
Given that the task is not too resource- or time-intensive, it would probably ask for a half-minimum reward (with no time for bargaining, as described). If you bargained successfully, it may not ask for one, as its services avert planar disaster. Or at least that's how I'd handle it.

Feantar
2018-11-06, 12:19 PM
IMO, this is basically converting Planar Binding into Planar Ally, which seems fine and not game-breaking.
Given that the task is not too resource- or time-intensive, it would probably ask for a half-minimum reward (with no time for bargaining, as described). If you bargained successfully, it may not ask for one, as its services avert planar disaster. Or at least that's how I'd handle it.

Thanks for the response. I agree that it isn't gamebreaking (because the called creature can whoop your ass if it is unbound) but would applying an XP cost like planar ally for this use make it more fair?

PunBlake
2018-11-06, 01:42 PM
Would applying an XP cost like planar ally for this use make it more fair?
Hmm. We're already in DM-fiat land, so I don't know that fairness applies here. I'd probably ask the people at the table what they thought about the XP cost or flip a coin.
Basically, I don't think it's necessary to apply the XP cost in this particular case (because of motivation, risk, ect) and would either leave it up to the group or chance.

Aetis
2018-11-06, 01:48 PM
Planar binding is a really cool spell that is written really badly, and your DM did a good job keeping the story alive.

He should roleplay the chat between you and the deva and decide the payment depending on how that chat goes.

Fizban
2018-11-06, 02:45 PM
The spell text says the trap must be within the spell's range, but the targeting text makes no mention of the trap. You can cast it without there being an actual trap, at which point the called creature appears in the designated non-trap "trap," and gets to skip past the part where it would have to break free.

Of course the spell text only says that after breaking fee it can flee or attack you, so clearly this means you can't interact with it *eyeroll*

RoboEmperor
2018-11-06, 03:17 PM
The answer is yes. You can cast planar binding without Magic Circle.

I have a quote for this.

4th—Dimensional Anchor: This spell is instrumental in preventing creatures that are summoned using the planar binding spells from escaping with teleportation or dimensional
shifting abilities. Any summoner planning to use a planar binding spell would be wise to learn an appropriate magic circle spell to strengthen the trap as well.

You can Planar Bind a creature to mundane things like a cage but a wise summoner would use a magic circle spell to strengthen the cage/trap.

Feantar
2018-11-06, 10:32 PM

I have a quote for this.

You can Planar Bind a creature to mundane things like a cage but a wise summoner would use a magic circle spell to strengthen the cage/trap.

That... is awesome actually. It also gives interesting use cases for items like Bands of Bilarro. In the cases of outsiders that don't have teleportation capabilities, mundane cages might actually be a pretty useful way to get out of the daily SR check.

RoboEmperor
2018-11-06, 11:12 PM
That... is awesome actually. It also gives interesting use cases for items like Bands of Bilarro. In the cases of outsiders that don't have teleportation capabilities, mundane cages might actually be a pretty useful way to get out of the daily SR check.

Read Magic Circle Against Evil more carefully. You can spend 10 minutes creating a special diagram that eliminates the daily SR check.

zergling.exe
2018-11-07, 02:28 AM

I have a quote for this.

A DM could rule that appropriate magic circle means law vs. devils or chaos vs. demons. That line isn't ironclad saying that a magic circle is entirely optional. That is, it doesn't explicitly say that a magic circle isn't required to be the trap.