PDA

View Full Version : Arcane Ward -- a bizarre limitation

Dalebert
2018-11-05, 11:56 PM
A friend has an interpretation of the Arcane Ward's functionality that seems bizarre to me and I've never seen anyone else interpret it this way. He believes the ward won't start regaining HP until it drops to zero. His reasoning is based on the 2nd paragraph. I just see it as stating two independent facts about the ward, but he sees it as saying that the second sentence doesn't apply UNTIL the ward drops to zero. I don't see anyone wording to imply that, e.g. "from this point on..." Is there anyone else who shares this interpretation?

2nd paragraph:

While the ward has 0 hit points, it can’t absorb damage, but its magic remains. Whenever you cast an abjuration spell of 1st level or higher, the ward regains a number of hit points equal to twice the level of the spell.

jiriku
2018-11-06, 12:01 AM
Your friend is making an assumption. I agree with you, the assumption is unwarranted. It's refilled when you cast, and does not need to be at zero hp. Sage Advice has also clarified this exact question (http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/sageadvice_july2015).

Jerrykhor
2018-11-06, 10:15 PM
The full stop exist for a reason. Your friend need to learn how to read.

Malifice
2018-11-06, 11:47 PM
The full stop exist for a reason. Your friend need to learn how to read.

Heh. Irony.

Zalabim
2018-11-07, 04:30 AM
Heh. Irony.
'Ey now. Readen and riten got nudden in conmen.

Vogie
2018-11-07, 08:01 AM
It specifically calls out "but the magic remains", indicating that it doesn't go away when the ward reaches 0. This is useful to note as Temporary Hit Points DO go away when they reach 0, and this is a variant on that mechanic. This is similar in all of the "like this, but" class features, such as Cavalier Fighter (reactions) and Gloomstalker Ranger (Attacks).

It also means a long period of downtime could build up a large amount of ward by casting Alarm as a ritual or getting a 2 level dip in Warlock for Armor of Shadows. But you can't get more hit points equal to 2x your wizard level +INT mod.

R.Shackleford
2018-11-07, 09:37 PM
Heh. Irony.

Is it possible to learn this power?

Callak_Remier
2018-11-07, 11:05 PM
'Ey now. Readen and riten got nudden in conmen.

He No taLkY gud lik me an U so his Vocabulistics is Limmited to " I & Am & Groot"
ExCluusavly in that Ordar

ATHATH
2018-11-08, 12:07 AM
Is it possible to learn this power?
Not from a grammatician.

Skylivedk
2018-11-08, 03:58 AM
Not from a grammatician.

Unless he multiclassed.