PDA

View Full Version : Storing your pawns

zautos
2018-11-06, 05:19 AM
'm a Swedish pathfinder player and student studying product development and design.

I designed my own paper Pawn storage box and I'm now wondering if I should bring a similar product to market. It would help me a lot if you fill in
this survey. https://sv.surveymonkey.com/r/M9DLKLS
(it should take 4 minutes or something. 10 questions)

If you don't want to fill it in I would like to hear, how do you store your pawns?

What problems do you have with storing pawns?

Eldan
2018-11-06, 05:27 AM
What do you mean by pawns? I'm not familiar with the term outside of a chess context. Do you mean miniatures/models? If so, I don't use them for RPGs, but I have some I use for tabletop wargaming, where I get foam core storage boxes.

Knaight
2018-11-06, 06:10 AM
I assume "pawns" here means miniatures, and while I don't tend to use them the few exceptions I've made are just tossed in a bag. That said if I actually cared (or had things that were slightly fragile) there's always a whole host of existing boxes that would do just fine.

hymer
2018-11-06, 06:35 AM
I'd have filled in your form, but I'm not sure what you mean by 'pawn' or 'papper pawn'. So I'll just explain here:

I store most of my minis in a cupboard with glass doors, standing in my gaming area. That way I can tell where I need to go for what, and they don't stand around getting dusty all the time.
For transportation, I use platic boxes (like lunchboxes), each with a tea towel inside - bunched up slightly to increase its dampening effect. This allows me to transport even fairly fragile minis by bicycle with no losses so far.

zautos
2018-11-06, 09:58 AM
this is an example of pawns http://mightymeep.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/pawnfight.jpg
I should have added that in the survey

LordCdrMilitant
2018-11-06, 10:11 AM
How I store my miniatures is dependent upon the miniature.

Guardsmen just go in a big artist's toolbox. They're not fragile, and I don't think any have broken yet.
Sisters of Battle come in little plastic trays when I buy them, and I continue to store them in those little plastic trays. I sort them by type into the trays, and then pack all the trays in a conveniently sized cardboard box that's just sort of perfectly sized for them.
Tanks, for the most part, I line up side by side in these blue plastic "flexcon" warehouse containers. None of them have sponsons, so they line up nicely.
My shadowsword has its own box, padded so it doesn't shift or break itself or anything else.

I also have some hard plastic compartmentalized sewing boxes I keep my DZC stuff in, which are really nice because the cells are about exactly the right size for storing squads of tanks and infantry in.

I use paper cutouts when running fantasy games, and there's another blue flexcon box that I just toss them in when I'm done. Because I draw them for each session, and they get used about like once, the box just exists as a reserve in case I ever need one again, or for somebody to fish through and find one they like to represent their character until I draw a unique one for their character. They're paper, and for the most part limited use, so careful storage isn't necessary.

KillianHawkeye
2018-11-09, 07:04 PM
How did you make a storage box out of paper? That doesn't seem like a great investment.... :smallconfused:

Nifft
2018-11-09, 08:08 PM
How did you make a storage box out of paper? That doesn't seem like a great investment.... :smallconfused:

They hope you'll buy another box after each rainstorm.