PDA

View Full Version : Help to build a Cleric

rsm_rlb
2018-11-06, 10:06 AM
I wanted help to build a cleric.

I am in doubt about making a life cleric 17 with a bard 3 full support (this character would have a personality who does not like to hurt anyone) or a pyromaniac light cleric (I can not think of a good multiclass here).

The attributes are point buy 27 and human variant. Does anyone help set it up? Can not the Cleric with no damage work well?

Snowbluff
2018-11-06, 10:41 AM
It's plausible you can make a cleric with limited to no damage. However, I am unsure if a Life Cleric the best option.

When I look at this problem, I think "what do I do with spell slots, and what do I do without spell slot."
In a fight, a cleric has a lot of good buffs like Bless and Sanctuary.
However, if you're avoiding damage, the only cantrip you really have to use is Guidance. I like debuffing cantrips like Frostbite and Vicious Mockery, but cleric gets neither of those.

For healing, the general, best way of healing at low level is Healing Spirit (take by dipping 3 into druid) and Life Cleric to buff the healing. Even without cheesing it, this will give a good chunk of healing. Otherwise, healing is pretty weak outside of revivify, healing word a party member at 0 HP, and the Heal spell (which is quite high level).

For Light Cleric, I actually suggest a Sorcerer Dip in a similiar vein to a Tempest Domain. Getting Booming Blade and Greenflame Blade are good spells to pad out spell-less rounds with potent spellcasting, and sorcerer also gives you quicken and heighten.

Finally, I'd like to point out that some of cleric's damaging abilities are easy to use. Spiritual weapon doesn't take concentration and is only a bonus action to use. Spirit Guardians is an incredibly potent spell for dealing with crowds.

rsm_rlb
2018-11-06, 10:52 AM
It's plausible you can make a cleric with limited to no damage. However, I am unsure if a Life Cleric the best option.

When I look at this problem, I think "what do I do with spell slots, and what do I do without spell slot."
In a fight, a cleric has a lot of good buffs like Bless and Sanctuary.
However, if you're avoiding damage, the only cantrip you really have to use is Guidance. I like debuffing cantrips like Frostbite and Vicious Mockery, but cleric gets neither of those.

For healing, the general, best way of healing at low level is Healing Spirit (take by dipping 3 into druid) and Life Cleric to buff the healing. Even without cheesing it, this will give a good chunk of healing. Otherwise, healing is pretty weak outside of revivify, healing word a party member at 0 HP, and the Heal spell (which is quite high level).

For Light Cleric, I actually suggest a Sorcerer Dip in a similiar vein to a Tempest Domain. Getting Booming Blade and Greenflame Blade are good spells to pad out spell-less rounds with potent spellcasting, and sorcerer also gives you quicken and heighten.

Finally, I'd like to point out that some of cleric's damaging abilities are easy to use. Spiritual weapon doesn't take concentration and is only a bonus action to use. Spirit Guardians is an incredibly potent spell for dealing with crowds.

I liked the tip, gave me some cool ideas. Any tips on attribute distribution?

dmteeter
2018-11-06, 10:58 AM
I'm currently playing a life cleric that only has 2 damage spells
sacred flame and guiding bolt.

I buff spells and heal spells to keep my party running and make sure no one goes down.

I use guiding bolt only if the enemy is really beefy and i mostly only use it for the advantage aspect.