PDA

View Full Version : Ranger buff/ smite like ablity

stoutstien
2018-11-06, 12:00 PM
I was working on fleshing out a rework of the phb ranger sub classes that would bring them up to snuff with xans options. I know before I even post this someone is going to state they are fine as written and need no changes. Even if rangers are the least represented class and of that small demographic that places them the subclass in xans have a larger showing.

Anyway, I was thinking of using the favor enemy feature combined with Hunters mark.
First off favor enemy groups are broaden to each category such as humanoids, undead, and so forth. You have a number of favor enemies equal to Wis mod.(increase early ranger diversity but hinders ppl dipping. Most will have 13 Wis.)
Now here the off wall idea.
At 2nd lv if a ranger hits a enemy while taking the attack action that is a fovered enemy the ranger can choose to expend a spell slot to cast hunters mark on the target as part of that attack and hunters mark is triggered by the attack.

Also primal awareness is just free once a s/l rest.

Also believe making rangers prepared casters instead of memorized would make them more flexible.

Snowbluff
2018-11-06, 12:25 PM
I would take a look at the Whisper Bard for something similiar then. Probably don't scale it as a highly, because rangers already get extra attack.

Specter
2018-11-06, 01:08 PM
If Paladins have smites, why not give them a way to do something different? This is off the top of my head:

NATURAL INVIGORATION
Starting at 2nd level, you can tend to wounds using your own connection to nature. During your turn, you may spend a spell slot to restore hit points. The amount of hit points you regain is 2d12 for a 1st-level spell slot, plus 1d12 for each spell level higher than 1st, to a maximum of 5d12. You cannot use this ability if you are unconscious.

stoutstien
2018-11-06, 01:16 PM
If Paladins have smites, why not give them a way to do something different? This is off the top of my head:

NATURAL INVIGORATION
Starting at 2nd level, you can tend to wounds using your own connection to nature. During your turn, you may spend a spell slot to restore hit points. The amount of hit points you regain is 2d12 for a 1st-level spell slot, plus 1d12 for each spell level higher than 1st, to a maximum of 5d12. You cannot use this ability if you are unconscious.

Why use than instead of just using spells available to the ranger. I was looking at hunters mark bc it such a core part of the classes offensive output but with current action economy it steps on self during first round.

Specter
2018-11-06, 02:20 PM
Why use than instead of just using spells available to the ranger. I was looking at hunters mark bc it such a core part of the classes offensive output but with current action economy it steps on self during first round.

...because it uses no action?

Also, Hunter's Mark may be a spell most pick (I've seen Rangers without it), but notice that no class has features tied to a specific spell, because players who don't pick that spell get no advantage whatsoever.

Man_Over_Game
2018-11-06, 02:33 PM
I was working on fleshing out a rework of the phb ranger sub classes that would bring them up to snuff with xans options. I know before I even post this someone is going to state they are fine as written and need no changes. Even if rangers are the least represented class and of that small demographic that places them the subclass in xans have a larger showing.

Consider looking up the Revised Ranger. It puts the base Ranger up to speed, keeps the Hunter mostly where it is (I think it's mostly fine as-is, too), and provides some well-needed adjustments to the Beast Master.

Alternatively, check out This RPG Stack Exchange Link (https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/131163/would-giving-phb-ranger-archetypes-extra-spells-known-unbalance-them/131183#131183), and look up Daniel Zastoupil's answer for balance concerns when comparing the Hunter to the Horizon Walker, and check out KorvinStarmast's answer for a list of spells to add to the Hunter and Beast Master to flesh them out and to make them comparable to the Xanathar's versions.

Some examples include things like Mirror Image and Clairvoyance for the Hunter, or Alter Self and Awaken for the Beast Master.

stoutstien
2018-11-06, 04:32 PM
Consider looking up the Revised Ranger. It puts the base Ranger up to speed, keeps the Hunter mostly where it is (I think it's mostly fine as-is, too), and provides some well-needed adjustments to the Beast Master.

Alternatively, check out This RPG Stack Exchange Link (https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/131163/would-giving-phb-ranger-archetypes-extra-spells-known-unbalance-them/131183#131183), and look up Daniel Zastoupil's answer for balance concerns when comparing the Hunter to the Horizon Walker, and check out KorvinStarmast's answer for a list of spells to add to the Hunter and Beast Master to flesh them out and to make them comparable to the Xanathar's versions.

Some examples include things like Mirror Image and Clairvoyance for the Hunter, or Alter Self and Awaken for the Beast Master.

I am definitely adding a expanded spell list for phb rangers.

I felt the revised ranger was to much of an over correction. but I have not seen the other one. I will Give it a look!

stoutstien
2018-11-06, 05:03 PM
...because it uses no action?

Also, Hunter's Mark may be a spell most pick (I've seen Rangers without it), but notice that no class has features tied to a specific spell, because players who don't pick that spell get no advantage whatsoever.

How would this work if it had no action?
Also there are a few classes/subclasses that focus a lot on a single spell or family of spells. Warlocks and eldrich blast, Shepherd druids and conjure X spells. the idea is to give rangers the option to use a spell slot to increase damage out put much like smite. A pally could never use a slot for smites and still be effective but having the option empower players.
Some simple math comparison
Pally using a lv 1 slot to try to bring down a orge zombie would do an extra 3d8 radiant damage.
Good burst, no concentration required could save for crit but we need this thing dead ...redead... whatever.
Now the ranger attacks from afar with a bow on his/her first turn adding a single 1d8 from hunters mark with the ablity to concentrate on it to continue to add additional damage for up to a hour. More overall damage per slot but lack of burst seems a fair trade.

Kane0
2018-11-06, 05:13 PM
Sounds pretty cool actually. I made a much bigger set of changes to the Ranger for my table but I like the way you think.

djreynolds
2018-11-06, 07:55 PM
I give bonus spells based on what terrain the ranger selected sort of based on what land druids get, but only 1 bonus spell per level instead of the druid's 2.

Crgaston
2018-11-06, 11:05 PM
Also believe making rangers prepared casters instead of memorized would make them more flexible.

I absolutely don’t understand why Rangers aren’t prepared casters and Paladins are when both the other Wis casters are prepared and all the other Cha casters are Spells Known. This change would be a huge help to Rangers, allowing them to be more adaptable to tactical or strategic considerations in a combat-as-War setting, which, frankly, is where they should shine the most.

djreynolds
2018-11-06, 11:31 PM
I absolutely don’t understand why Rangers aren’t prepared casters and Paladins are when both the other Wis casters are prepared and all the other Cha casters are Spells Known. This change would be a huge help to Rangers, allowing them to be more adaptable to tactical or strategic considerations in a combat-as-War setting, which, frankly, is where they should shine the most.

100%

There are so many poor ranger spells that are never even read by players, let alone used.

It seems more thematic that a ranger, would change out his spells everyday depending on the new terrain he just entered.

Its awful, its just hunter's mark and goodberry.