PDA

View Full Version : Wifi Dongle

LibraryOgre
2018-11-06, 02:45 PM
So, my computer has a bit of non-standard hardware (an only slim case), which makes cards difficult to fit.

Anyone have experience with wifi dongles on a desktop? Any you like?

Khedrac
2018-11-06, 04:05 PM
I used to use one (still do when I boot that PC) and I think it was just a cheap one from the local supermarket (Tesco used to like selling more electronics than it does now). I never had any problems with it so i doubt if there is much need to worry about make unless you have unusual cirumstances. (My father used to have to use an external dongle on a laptop - it needed a long USB lead to get close enough to the router to get a signal.)

factotum
2018-11-06, 04:40 PM
As with Khedrac, I have a generic USB WiFi device plugged in the back of my main PC and it's been rock-solid reliable for years. Afraid I'm not at home right now so can't get the exact make and model, but given how cheap these things are I wouldn't worry too much about it.

LibraryOgre
2018-11-06, 05:01 PM
Ah, that's reassuring.

thracian
2018-11-06, 11:06 PM
I avoid wifi wherever possible, so I don't have a huge amount of personal experience. My brother stopped complaining about wifi after buying the TP-Link Archer T4UH AC1200, so I can at least vouch for that particular model second-hand.