PDA

View Full Version : Western Ranger!

Grorl
2018-11-06, 04:13 PM
Greetings folks! First time poster here, let us cut to the chase.

I am going to be starting a new campaign soon and the DM told us we begin at level 5. Rolled Stats and thus far no restrictions when it comes to race and classes. So, here I thought it would be fun to play like a western/cowboy type of character, using hand crossbows as his guns (as far as I am concerned, there are no guns in this campaign, hence the alternative), and possibly a heavy crossbow for potential sniping situations.

Rolled Stats are:
Str 16
Dex 18
Con 15 +1 from V. Human = 16
Int 16
Wis 17 +1 from V. Human = 18
Cha 16

Current build, but can change depending on my final decision.
Ranger: Gloomstalker 3 and Rogue 2

EDIT: So far, this seems to be the way I am gonna start with.
Ranger 4 Monster Slayer, Rogue 1.

EDIT 11/15/18

So, after much deliberation. If I can manage to let my DM let me use the revised ranger. I will be going with
Inquisitive Rogue 4/Ranger 1 to start with. Thinking of hitting ranger 11 and rogue 9. Thinking Hunter for ranger. Being an inquisitive, I would already be using my bonus action for so many things. Insightful fighting, cunning action, bonus attack with crossbow expert.

Thank you all for your assistance! ^_^

He's a variant Human Gloomstalker Ranger. Took crossbow expert at level 1. I only plan to go as far as ranger 5 for extra attack, then possibly take rogue to 3 for the archetype. So, around level 8 I was thinking in actually going Druid for the remainder, as it adds more spells for flavor and battlefield control for the most part.
I was thinking arcane trickster for the rogue, to allow me some utility cantrips, plus magehand is beast IMO with an AT, then get find familiar with my free 1st level spell and whatever for the remaining two spells. But, I do think for the flavor and theme that this guy is going with, I believe the scout would be a fun choice. Getting to move half speed to get away from incoming enemies. If I went that route, then I was planning to take ranger to 4 and rogue 1 for the ASI and get the ritualist feat. Like that I can still get my familiar and such and stick a little truer to the theme. Ranger, his faithful scouting pet and his crossbows. The druid bit would came after level 8, working in with his backstory that he was born to a druid tribe but had chosen to leave and made his life in a more urban setting (Investigator background), kind of becoming a detective and such.

I know there are a lot of options for this character to go, but I am really conflicted over what rogue archetype to take advantage of with gloomstalker. I know assassin is the more obvious choice for DPR with their whole auto crit thing, but I find it a bit dull IMO seeing as other rogue archetypes add more fun to the game for me personally. Also, I just really love find familiar. xD

I'd really appreciate suggestions and any help anyone is willing to offer. Thank you very much!

UnintensifiedFa
2018-11-06, 04:29 PM
Assuming you will level up, I’d go to ranger 4 first, to max dex, and then our levels into rogue. Your stats are very good, so I actually thing arcane trickster might be worth it. If you go rogue 4, almost any feat is is on the table. Tavern brawler for that element of a saloon fighting rough-housing son of a gun. Or observant for more private eye kinda guy. Mounted combatant lets you get that wild-west rider/ranger/cowboy feel.

Overall leveling, don’t worry about it, if you go AT (which I reccomend) you won’t lose out on too many spells leveling either way, so just do whatever seems the most fun to you.

Hope I helped, and make sure to tell me how it goes.

Man_Over_Game
2018-11-06, 04:43 PM
You have a number of choices, but it kinda depends on what your priorities are.

For example, the Inquisitive Rogue has the unique option of not needing any special qualifiers for their Sneak Attack. This might not be a big deal at first, but this means that you can get the jump on a target before your team has to engage them. Since there's no range requirement, you can use a Longbow or a Heavy Crossbow for the full benefit. For this route, Ritual Caster or Magic Initiate will really help you get your familiar, and you don't really need Crossbow Expert, as you're not attacking more than once anyway. You could even set up in a "sniper tower", maybe even casting Alarm to give you notice when you need to bail.

The Scout has more combat support, but most of it relies on close range and ally support, since it inherently has no way of giving itself sneak attack. This means that your primary tool should be Crossbow Expert. To help with out of combat options, I recommend Ritual Caster, since that's the Scout's biggest problem.

The Arcane Trickster is good, but the spells will get in the way of your attacks. Not only that, but you don't exactly have many options to invest in Find Familiar. If you do decide on this route, I recommend Ritual Caster.

---------------------

Honestly, though, I strongly recommend going an alternate direction. Have you considered a Crossbow Expert Hexblade? It covers your needs for your Familiar (provided at level 2), casting support (Warlocks are full casters), while being a charming gun.

Alternatively, you could grab the Pact of the Blade and Ritual Caster, getting invocations that allow you to Smite the enemy prone, giving you an extra attack, or being able to make a crossbow with your Pact of the Blade feature while making it your focus and a +1 weapon. Also, RAW, you don't need the Improved Pact Weapon invocation if you happen to have a magical crossbow (since you can technically make ANY magic weapon a pact weapon, but you can only CREATE melee weapons).

Hell, you could even ask your DM about allowing you to pick the Arcane Gunslinger invocation in the Modern Magic UA, which lets you make a sidearm as your pact weapon.

GlenSmash!
2018-11-06, 04:47 PM
Call me old fashioned, but I like to take Ranger to 5 first before multiclassing, then I would grab rogue levels.

Assassin certainly synergizes well and you can always grab find familiar with Magic Initiate, but I would advocate to take whatever subclass you like the most.

With states rolled that well you certainly wont feel weak no matter which way you go.

Ganymede
2018-11-06, 05:12 PM
Your rolled stats seem a bit high. You should consider asking your DM to let you reroll them.

Man_Over_Game
2018-11-06, 05:19 PM
Your rolled stats seem a bit high. You should consider asking your DM to let you reroll them.

Yeah, just realized how crazy those are. I wouldn't be surprised if you cheated a bit (like using a rerolling calculator) to get those numbers. Just another reason to use Point Buy, I guess.

Grorl
2018-11-06, 05:25 PM
Yeah, just realized how crazy those are. I wouldn't be surprised if you cheated a bit (like using a rerolling calculator) to get those numbers. Just another reason to use Point Buy, I guess.

Yeah, they are rather nuts. The group and I rolled them in front of the DM, to avoid that whole "Did you cheat to get these?", thing. No digital stuff, just dice hitting the table.

Damon_Tor
2018-11-06, 05:29 PM
Assassin certainly synergizes well

Concur. Nothing says badass new sheriff in town better than him gunning down 5 guys before they can clear leather.

Big iron on his hiiiiiiiip...

Grorl
2018-11-06, 05:39 PM
You have a number of choices, but it kinda depends on what your priorities are.

For example, the Inquisitive Rogue has the unique option of not needing any special qualifiers for their Sneak Attack. This might not be a big deal at first, but this means that you can get the jump on a target before your team has to engage them. Since there's no range requirement, you can use a Longbow or a Heavy Crossbow for the full benefit. For this route, Ritual Caster or Magic Initiate will really help you get your familiar, and you don't really need Crossbow Expert, as you're not attacking more than once anyway. You could even set up in a "sniper tower", maybe even casting Alarm to give you notice when you need to bail.

The Scout has more combat support, but most of it relies on close range and ally support, since it inherently has no way of giving itself sneak attack. This means that your primary tool should be Crossbow Expert. To help with out of combat options, I recommend Ritual Caster, since that's the Scout's biggest problem.

The Arcane Trickster is good, but the spells will get in the way of your attacks. Not only that, but you don't exactly have many options to invest in Find Familiar. If you do decide on this route, I recommend Ritual Caster.

---------------------

Honestly, though, I strongly recommend going an alternate direction. Have you considered a Crossbow Expert Hexblade? It covers your needs for your Familiar (provided at level 2), casting support (Warlocks are full casters), while being a charming gun.

Alternatively, you could grab the Pact of the Blade and Ritual Caster, getting invocations that allow you to Smite the enemy prone, giving you an extra attack, or being able to make a crossbow with your Pact of the Blade feature while making it your focus and a +1 weapon. Also, RAW, you don't need the Improved Pact Weapon invocation if you happen to have a magical crossbow (since you can technically make ANY magic weapon a pact weapon, but you can only CREATE melee weapons).

Hell, you could even ask your DM about allowing you to pick the Arcane Gunslinger invocation in the Modern Magic UA, which lets you make a sidearm as your pact weapon.

Ah, Hexblade does sound pretty cool.

As for the rogue suggestions, I never really looked at the inquisitive. Those abilities at level 3 alone would fit his investigator theme rather well! Yeah, Arcane Trickster was always intended to just use it for the utility of cantrips and the familiar. Never intended to use other spells much, otherwise (From AT). But I could get the same benefit with magic initiate, 2 cantrips and 1 spell, I believe. He's not intended to be a full sniper, hence the crossbow expert feat. More a midranged kind of guy.

Certainly a route to consider. Thank you.

Man_Over_Game
2018-11-06, 05:43 PM
Yeah, they are rather nuts. The group and I rolled them in front of the DM, to avoid that whole "Did you cheat to get these?", thing. No digital stuff, just dice hitting the table.

Crazy. Well, then, you can probably get pretty creative with those.

Consider going as a full-fledged Monster Slayer Ranger, going with Crossbow Expert, Ritual Caster, and Archery. Almost every Monster Slayer feature can be used in both melee and ranged combat, and you don't have too many things interfering with your Bonus Action attack.

Round 1, Mark your target with Hunter's Mark. Attack twice with Hand Crossbow, dealing 4d6 + 12 in damage.

Round 2, Mark your target with Slayer's Prey. Attack twice with Hand Crossbow, dealing 5d6 + 12 in damage.

Round 3, and every turn after, lay waste with 3 Hand Crossbow Attacks, dealing 7d6 + 18 damage.

At level 7, the enemy cannot pin you and grants you a 1d6 to maintain your Concentration saving throw on Hunter's Mark

You also get Zone of Truth and Magic Circle, perfect for the Sheriff's interrogation.

Grorl
2018-11-06, 05:54 PM
Crazy. Well, then, you can probably get pretty creative with those.

Consider going as a full-fledged Monster Slayer Ranger, going with Crossbow Expert, Ritual Caster, and Archery. Almost every Monster Slayer feature can be used in both melee and ranged combat, and you don't have too many things interfering with your Bonus Action attack.

Round 1, Mark your target with Hunter's Mark. Attack twice with Hand Crossbow, dealing 4d6 + 12 in damage.

Round 2, Mark your target with Slayer's Prey. Attack twice with Hand Crossbow, dealing 5d6 + 12 in damage.

Round 3, and every turn after, lay waste with 3 Hand Crossbow Attacks, dealing 6d6 + 18 damage.

At level 7, the enemy cannot pin you and grants you a 1d6 to maintain your Concentration saving throw on Hunter's Mark

You also get Zone of Truth and Magic Circle, perfect for the Sheriff's interrogation.

Oh, I see. I do like that. I mostly took Gloomstalker for the free darkvision, seeing as I was human. xD
But that continual d6 from slayer's mark and the added spells do fit the theme a whole lot better. Monster Slayer/Inquisitive combo sounds really neat.

EDIT: Guess I could always use my familiar's (Owl) sight for darkvision!

Keravath
2018-11-06, 05:58 PM
Ah, Hexblade does sound pretty cool.

As for the rogue suggestions, I never really looked at the inquisitive. Those abilities at level 3 alone would fit his investigator theme rather well! Yeah, Arcane Trickster was always intended to just use it for the utility of cantrips and the familiar. Never intended to use other spells much, otherwise (From AT). But I could get the same benefit with magic initiate, 2 cantrips and 1 spell, I believe. He's not intended to be a full sniper, hence the crossbow expert feat. More a midranged kind of guy.

Certainly a route to consider. Thank you.

Even as a "mid-ranged" kind of guy .. you will want sharpshooter if your main weapon is a hand crossbow .. otherwise you will be limited to 30' without disadvantage on your shots .. which is pretty much a close range kind of guy :) (at least in my opinion).

Also, rogue has a lot going for it ... if one of your goals is to use the sneak attack then increasing the sneak attack damage is desirable and you might want more than 3 levels in rogue. However, adding a warlock dip might also be useful since with 2 or 3 levels you will pick up some invocations, a couple of short rest spells slots, some exra spells ... and some ways to generate advantage on your attacks which works well if you also have sharpshooter.

Grorl
2018-11-06, 06:06 PM
Even as a "mid-ranged" kind of guy .. you will want sharpshooter if your main weapon is a hand crossbow .. otherwise you will be limited to 30' without disadvantage on your shots .. which is pretty much a close range kind of guy :) (at least in my opinion).

Also, rogue has a lot going for it ... if one of your goals is to use the sneak attack then increasing the sneak attack damage is desirable and you might want more than 3 levels in rogue. However, adding a warlock dip might also be useful since with 2 or 3 levels you will pick up some invocations, a couple of short rest spells slots, some exra spells ... and some ways to generate advantage on your attacks which works well if you also have sharpshooter.

I totally agree! Was thinking the ASI after 4th level in taking Sharpshooter. The sneak attack dice are a nice bit of bonus. But, I will most likely be doing 3 attacks once I hit level 5 ranger, so I am not too worried about having higher sneak die. Figure 2 Sneak attack die, plus hunter's mark, plus Slayer's pray are going to add up nicely. But who knows, I may take rogue higher or ranger higher, depending on how the campaign unfolds. Possibility of a 3rd class would be once we've hit close to level 10. So, I've still got time to see how the character will do.

Thank you for your suggestions. :D

Grorl
2018-11-06, 06:09 PM
So far, so good. Thank you all for your suggestions and ideas. I feel like I'm narrowing this guy down more in both class build and who he will be as a person.

Vogie
2018-11-06, 10:47 PM
If you want to be really, REALLY western, use Primeval Guardian Ranger to transform into a cactus.

Grorl
2018-11-06, 10:49 PM
If you want to be really, REALLY western, use Primeval Guardian Ranger to transform into a cactus.
I will shoot spikes at my enemies! D:<

Desteplo
2018-11-07, 07:02 PM
After watching Justified. I feel the best representation of a cowboy would be inquisitive rogue.

Size up your opponent
Draw

Get through most of the tough times intimidating or lieing your way out

GlenSmash!
2018-11-07, 07:06 PM
After watching Justified. I feel the best representation of a cowboy would be inquisitive rogue.

Size up your opponent
Draw

The rogue makes a great "take your time and make the right shot" kind of cowboy. Very Wyatt Earp.

Of course Doc holiday had a much different approach.

Grorl
2018-11-07, 08:00 PM

Size up your opponent
Draw

Indeed!

I was looking over the inquisitive after one of the posters suggested it. Found it fits rather nicely with Monster Slayer and the whole cowboy bit. Now my only gripe is whether to go Ranger 11/Rogue 9 Or Ranger 9 / Rogue 11.

Should I worry about the later ranger spells or can I make due with 2nd level and take the rest in rogue?

xD

SpoCk0nd0pe
2018-11-08, 11:25 PM
When I read "Western Ranger" I immediately think of Aragorn...