PDA

View Full Version : Need some feedback on my first subclass homebrew!

Mancer
2018-11-06, 08:38 PM
First time posting here and wanted some feedback on my barbarian subclass, the path of the troll.

Rage of the troll
Starting when you choose this path at 3rd level, you began to feel the power of the trolls dwell deep within. during your rage at the start of your turn, if you are missing at least half your your hit point maximum, you regenerate hit points equal to one half of your barbarian levels (rounded up), this trait doesn't function at the start of your next turn if you take fire or acid damage.

At 6th level, you add your constitution modifier to the amount of hit points you gain from this feature.

Troll senses
Beginning at 6th level, you gain darkvision out to 30 ft. additionally you have advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on smell.

Troll Blood Mutation
Beginning at 10th level, you gain even more of the frighting features of a troll. your body takes on some qualities related to trolls, be it your skin turns green, your teeth become sharp and ugly, or your appear thinner but retain your strength. you gain proficiency with the intimidation skill and double your proficiency bonus with it. additionally you gain claws on the end of your fingers, The claws are natural weapons, which you can use to make unarmed strikes. If you hit with them, you deal slashing damage equal to 1d8+ your Strength modifier, instead of the normal bludgeoning damage for an unarmed strike.

Rending Claws
Starting at 14th level, when you use your claws as part of an attack while raging, you may deal an extra 4d6 slashing damage to the target on a hit. you can use this feature one per short rest.

jiriku
2018-11-06, 09:08 PM
I recommend putting some information about your subclass in the title (at least the name). You'll get more views and hopefully more feedback that way.

Troll Blood Mutation: This feature is really the most interesting and iconic ability, but is stuffed way back at 10th level. I'd rather see it right up front at 3rd level. The power level is a little on the high side -- I'd recommend that you grant EITHER Intimidation proficiency OR double proficiency if the barbarian is already proficient.

Rage of the Troll: I would move this back from 3rd/6th level to 10th/14th level. To balance it against the existing similar feature, Survivor (in the fighter's champion subclass), I'd benchmark it as 5 healing per round, increasing to 5 + Con at 14th level. And add the ability to reattach or regrow severed limbs or a severed head! That's really just a flavor ability, but nothing says troll rager as well as "I can cut my own head off and live to tell about it."

Troll Senses: Darkvision is nice, but it's not so nice that you need to water it down (especially since half the races in the PHB already have darkvision and won't benefit as much from this feature). Grant a full 60 ft darkvision just like trolls get.

Rending Claws: The language should be "when you hit with a claw attack while raging" -- this clarifies that you can see whether you hit or not before deciding to use the ability, and prevents you from wasting it on a missed attack (or lets you save it for a crit and get those sweet doubled critical dice).