PDA

View Full Version : Diet...

Sindal
2018-11-07, 01:20 AM
Hey yall

Here another pointless, purely rp question for yall.

-What is your (current or the last you thought about) characters prefered diet. IE, what will they typically reach for in the inn menu.

Kosh, my half orc gloomstalker, prefers stews and fruit after being forced to eat 'underdark food' for some time.

thoroughlyS
2018-11-07, 01:26 AM
My headcanon involves goblins having a deadened sense of smell, so my ranger Makaar prefers to add things with strong flavors to his meals. For example, taking liver and onions instead of steak, or preferring beets over other vegetables.

stoutstien
2018-11-07, 01:55 AM
Lizardfolk cleric. Most likely has a doggie back from last fight with banits.

Finback
2018-11-07, 02:03 AM
Gerhart Ostermeier, Barovian farmer-turned-soldier-turned-paladin, will probably mostly be eating a small side of meat, with potatoes/root vegetables in some form, and a side of cheese and bread. Mostly washed down with low key local ale.

Pyramid Pug
2018-11-07, 02:25 AM
My headcanon involves goblins having a deadened sense of smell, so my ranger Makaar prefers to add things with strong flavors to his meals. For example, taking liver and onions instead of steak, or preferring beets over other vegetables.

I had an accident when I was younger that left me with little to no sense of smell, and as a result I do prefer foods with strong flavors and good textures. Liver like ya said, lots of garlic, fish, cheeses, fruits and so on. You were pretty much spot on with that.

As for my characters, I play a dwarven war cleric and an halfling warlock. The dwarf knows the value of a ration in times of war, but he also knows that victories are to be celebrated. When there’s abundance he’ll have the most satisfying meals and drinks for the whole party. Sucess came as a group and it’s to be celebrated as such, for who knows when will we shuffle from this coil. Private victories tho... he shares a military ration and a drink with his god, musing on what transpired as if talking to an old friend.

My halfling warlock is a merchant, I milk the devouring halfling stereotype for all it’s worth! He’s egregious, he’s silly, he’s on the quest for the mythical 3rd breakfast, and the other players on the party laugh and joke about it. Which is what I want.. they don’t know my character belongs to an old family whose secret agenda is to fight a god and it’s entrenched clergy. So smile, eat! Don’t let them know lest people die..

Tvtyrant
2018-11-07, 02:35 AM
Back in the play test I had a Circle of the Moon female elven Druid named Tammy. She was a vegan as an elf but would eat the bodies of her enemies when in bear form, sometimes vomiting blood and flesh when she turned back.

Tammy had very little control over her bear shape, and hated the cravings she got from it. She was very devoted to piety, veganism and purity except right after she changed back and felt unrestrained.

Malifice
2018-11-07, 02:41 AM
Hey yall

Here another pointless, purely rp question for yall.

-What is your (current or thr last you thought about) characters prefered diet. IE, what will they typcually reach for in the inn menu.

Kosh, my half orc gloomstalker, prefers stews and fruit after being forced to eat 'underdark food' for some time.

Humanoid children.

Im LG. I only kill and eat evil children though, so it's OK.

Arkhios
2018-11-07, 02:59 AM
Arkhios "Wolfhammer", born and raised as a member of a Nordic Tribe (yes, yes, I know, it's "silly" to use a character's name as an account name/account name as a character's name)
The character literally has the background flaw: "I am too enamored of ale, wine, and other intoxicants" so, regardless of his food, he'll definitely have at least two pints of whatever intoxicants he can get along with the meal. And probably another two for dessert. "One for each hand! If I had more hands, I'd have more pints!"

The character is human by the way, but he "may" have been under the influence of dwarven habits for most of his life before his adventurer's career (the tribe lives alongside with a hill dwarf clan).

As for the food, well, since he IS a member of a semi-nomadic tribe, they generally hunt and gather their foods, so ideally his diet is meat, berries, and wild vegetables. Or fruits, if any suitable for eating is found.

DeadMech
2018-11-07, 03:17 AM
Had an human avenger paladin with a rough child soldier past and a history of travel. He despised trail rations so he looked forward to "home cooking" style meals after every roadtrip. Greesier, higher calorie, simple foods. Sausage and eggs hashbrowns types of meals. Never developed a sweet tooth beyond fruit. Too much seasoning and salt just reminds him of the half spoiled or otherwise preserved food he disliked in the past. Drank profusely to help him sleep.

Had a half-elf Sorcadin who was secretly noble, off on a family tradition quest to explore the lands, learn from it's people, establish a reputation as a hero. Went out of the way to pay extra for a supply of high quality tea. Drank alcohol very little. Ate modestly otherwise. Breaking break with the commoners and peasants and the like.

A High Elf Wizard. She was generally a tea-totter as well. Adored Pastries and baked goods above all else. Though with fire-elf lineage from a previous edition she particularly enjoyed new experiences so if in an unfamiliar culture she would go out of her way to sample the local delicacies and flavours.

Current character is a tiefling sorcerer. He came from nothing and wants to establish himself in the upper classes so he chooses to partake in the finer things when he can. A sip of fine wine but not to excess. A well prepared and presented meal, small servings. Otherwise an apple here or there. "Give this guy an apple so he looks like an *******" Cinama Sins. Preferably one he's slowly peeling or taking pieces of with a knife.

nickl_2000
2018-11-07, 08:02 AM
My current party hasn't eaten much else other than goodberries for the entire adventure (we are almost level 13 now starting from 1), this suits my Moon Druid perfectly fine.

Honestly, it isn't much of an RP thing in our group. We didn't worry about it all that much.

DaveOfTheDead
2018-11-07, 08:13 AM
My monk likes imported seafood. But now he has an Ioun Stone of Sustenance. He doesn't have to eat or drink, but he can purely for pleasure.

ProsecutorGodot
2018-11-07, 08:17 AM
I'm playing a warforged currently, not really much of an eater.

Cicciograna
2018-11-07, 08:25 AM
Cardboard flavored with Prestidigitation (cit).

darknite
2018-11-07, 08:40 AM
My character, Compacted Colon, mainly eats iron rations.

hymer
2018-11-07, 08:50 AM
Elentiriel the astronomer/wizard prefers something quick and easy to eat - two slices of bread with something in between, you know, geralds. But like most of my characters, her favourite drink is goat milk.

dmteeter
2018-11-07, 09:16 AM
My characters tend to go for hearty meals IE: meat, potatoes, bread, cheese, and wash it down with quite a bit of drink

Ganymede
2018-11-07, 10:21 AM
My goblin diviner, Weevil, is named after his favorite snack. Bugs are his guilty pleasure; they are crunchy, savory morsels that are literally just crawling about everywhere.

That said, he also loves cooking and cuisine and will dig into some fancy fare as well. As a tyromancer, he also has an appreciation for all sorts of cheeses, butters, and yogurts.

solidork
2018-11-07, 11:08 AM
My Warlock/Fighter magical detective has a quirk that he will eat just about anything, as long as it's at least technically food. No cannibalism or anything like that, but hes going to legitimately miss the crappy coffee they had at the Watchful Order headquarters now that he's been promoted.

MagneticKitty
2018-11-07, 06:59 PM
My kobold ranger and her wolf prefer raw meat. They dont eat sentient things though. Once she dissapointed an enthusiastic chef by ordering her meat all raw.
She views alcohol as a poison and mostly drinks water. She's also still mentally a kid even tho she's physically an adult by kobold standards at age 8.

Misterwhisper
2018-11-07, 07:03 PM
Currently building a warforged envoy rogue, he is just happy to be alive and lives every day to its fullest, so he eats literally everything to try everything in the world, eat, drink, entertainment, he wants to do it all. His people are new to the world so we need 1000s of years experience to catch up. It is a good thing he makes a good. It adventuring and does not sleep because he wants to be everywhere and do everything.

Come to think of it, how do warforged interact with food?

I will start a new thread to not derail here.

Laserlight
2018-11-07, 07:17 PM
My character is half elf with a pronounced element of Chinese culture, playing in Curse of Strahd. So what she's actually eating is goulash, baked pumpkin, sausage, potatoes, blintzes and slivovitz; what she'd prefer would be gua bao, congee, duck, vegetables, spring onion pancakes, egg tarts, and...okay, keep the slivovitz.

Personification
2018-11-07, 07:17 PM
My halfling warlock is a merchant, I milk the devouring halfling stereotype for all it’s worth! He’s egregious, he’s silly, he’s on the quest for the mythical 3rd breakfast, and the other players on the party laugh and joke about it. Which is what I want.. they don’t know my character belongs to an old family whose secret agenda is to fight a god and it’s entrenched clergy. So smile, eat! Don’t let them know lest people die..

Have a little priest...

Moredhel24
2018-11-07, 08:17 PM
One of my favorites was my lizardfolk rogue with background as a gourmet chef. He'd cook/eat anything and everything that was "meat" usually taken from recently slain enemies. Rest of the party was dubious about his "masterpieces".

Took some of my inspiration from a part of Dragons of a Fallen Sun where it's mentioned that gully dwarves can be surprisingly good cooks so long as you set clear rules on what they could use as ingredients and/or didn't ask what was in the food.

Teaguethebean
2018-11-07, 08:48 PM
My Kenku Trickery Cleric Ari only eats nuts and seeds preferably covered in peanut butter. :smalltongue:

Mr. Crowbar
2018-11-07, 09:30 PM
I got a bard that's a sucker for greasey pub food, but they also consider baked or mashed potatoes comfort food from their upbringing in an abbey. One of the partymates considers brewing tea a craft and has slowly convinced the bard to not dump tons of sugar into their tea.

Our bird person ranger hunts her own food and will happily gulp down raw meat. She favours seafood and friend eels, especially. When we aren't in an urban environment she is the one that feeds the party.

No brains
2018-11-07, 10:14 PM
With Purify Food and Drink, I can eat anything I can chew! Even off of double-dipper's plates!

sithlordnergal
2018-11-08, 12:18 AM
I'll be honest, with the exception of two characters I have never thought about it before. The two in question are:

Smunsou, a Lizardfolk Monk that uses his bite attack to do all his Open Hand techniques. He tends to carry around fingers and such. While he will eat bear meat, he finds Elven fingers to be exceptionally tasty to snack on.

Sulian Corre, a Moon Druid from Chult. He will eat literally anything, and I do mean anything. Now, I'll be honest...this trait came around because he turned into dinos and giant spiders that bite things. Eventually, after he had eaten his way through Goblins, Bandits, Zombies, Yuan-Ti, and Tabaxi, the DM just gave him the trait that he tries everything once. And I stuck to it. I have eaten shadow demons, and even ate poisoned food that I was given. While I did not know it was poisoned, I had every reason to suspect it was

Sindal
2018-11-08, 12:44 AM
That’s not an excuse for eating fruit.

The underdark would have ,I imagine, been home to numerous fungi and whatever beasts where running around the underdark which is probably what he and his party 'some satyrs' sustained themselves on. From all the mushrooms I've eaten they aren't exactly booming with any kind of flavor at all.

After being able to leave the underdark and previously living in a desert, fruit being generally sweeter and tasteful became his new 'snack' food. Actually doesn't mind having dried fruit rations. He likes a good apple. Bigger meals are fine, but he'll go for a stew if he can have it.

He won't refuse most food, but it's what he prefers.

FrancisBean
2018-11-08, 01:22 AM
My current character is a spectacle-wearing Dwarven Barbarian with a background as a forensic accountant. He typically drinks tea. Every time we set out on another dangerous mission, he takes the party out for a fancy meal, no expense spared, at the end of which he stands up, raises his glass, and gives a long, rambling speech about how we're all probably going to die. (The last hireling hit the open bar pretty hard after the last speech... We had to carry him to bed.)

It's an Eberron thing. :smallcool:

Kane0
2018-11-08, 02:07 AM
My dwarf character usually sticks to bread and dairy where he can, with the odd vegetable and whatever local spices are on offer. He considers eggs and nuts to be delicacies, and has heard of some sort of edible crystal that he’s keen to try. He’s never been big on meat and is suspicious of honey and most fruits.

Waterdeep Merch
2018-11-08, 06:09 PM
My fairy princess paladin learned the hard way that you can't eat cheese for every meal. She still has the party war cleric carry a few wheels of cheddar for her, though. It's her favorite food.

She prefers leafy vegetables and fish, is okay with fowl, hates terrestrial meats, despises soups and stews, thinks breads are bland and too dry, isn't fond of salt, and loves pungent spices, though not always to eat. Pepper makes her sneeze, which she finds amusing, but she doesn't like eating too much of it. Her favorite dessert is spiced acorn cake, but they're rare outside of her home.

For drinks, she's mortified by the idea of fermented-anything, loves chilled milk sweetened with honey, and usually goes for a floral tea. She likes the smell of coffee but hasn't been brave enough to try it.

Tea's been a running gag for five characters of mine now. Each one does something ludicrous for it at one point or another.

GlenSmash!
2018-11-08, 06:15 PM
My formerly Uthgardt currently Mercenary Veteran Human Barbarian will always order the second cheapest food and drink in the second cheapest Inn or Tavern in whatever village, town, or city he finds himself in.

furby076
2018-11-08, 10:52 PM
My paladin is an alcoholic so will not drink booze. This came up in a scenario when the cleric suggested the paladin get drunk to help him remember something he learned when he was a drunk teenager in school (my paladin came from wealth, was spoiled, and spent a lot of time drinking while at school). The cleric didn't know my palain was an alcoholic, and the paladin let him know that "people get hurt when i drink". The cleric apologized and nixed the idea.

Beyond that, when at taverns/inns, some of the players will specify what they want to drink (e.g., female in our group will order wine, my character will order basic food as he was a soldier, etc)