PDA

View Full Version : Why is Groetus labeled CN instead of CE? What would a CG cleric of Groetus be like?

Zhentarim
2018-11-07, 12:17 PM
Why is Groetus labeled CN instead of CE? What would a CG cleric of Groetus be like?

Sian
2018-11-07, 01:52 PM
Why is Groetus labeled CN instead of CE? What would a CG cleric of Groetus be like?

I'm guessing the reason he's not labeled as evil is because he doesn't appear to have any plots towards hastening the end times, and he's more of a Blue/Orange Morality rather than being neatly defined by alignments.

That said, his faith is the ultimate in nihilism, so an CG would probably be along the lines of "Nothing matters, so we might as well enjoy whatever time we have in peace, since that's less uncomfortable than war"

Zhentarim
2018-11-07, 02:25 PM
I'm guessing the reason he's not labeled as evil is because he doesn't appear to have any plots towards hastening the end times, and he's more of a Blue/Orange Morality rather than being neatly defined by alignments.

That said, his faith is the ultimate in nihilism, so an CG would probably be along the lines of "Nothing matters, so we might as well enjoy whatever time we have in peace, since that's less uncomfortable than war"

Pretty much my real life philosophy, then...though I only help if its convenient for me and only if I need to help to keep my peace of mind, which is quite fragile. I focus mostly on helping myself and am pretty private, but if some snot nosed whiner keeps running to me for help, I’ll eventually give them SOME kind of small help.

Kish
2018-11-07, 04:26 PM
Particularly (explicitly) in Pathfinder 2ed, Golarion gods don't reliably allow clerics of all alignments within one step of them. It wouldn't surprise me if every cleric of Groetus had to be Chaotic Neutral.

Zhentarim
2018-11-07, 05:48 PM
Particularly (explicitly) in Pathfinder 2ed, Golarion gods don't reliably allow clerics of all alignments within one step of them. It wouldn't surprise me if every cleric of Groetus had to be Chaotic Neutral.

Alignment is weird.

Florian
2018-11-08, 03:20 AM

Why should he be Evil? Groetus is one of the "function" gods of the multiverse and resides on the Boneyard, the true neutral outer plane, along Pharasma, who is fate, life and death. Groetus is "just" the end of everything.

Groetus doesn't actually care about worship and clerics, doesn't tell them anything beyond making them go mad a little bit when they get in touch with him, so whatever each cult of Groetus comes up with might be right, might be wrong, it doesn't matter.

So a CG cleric could well follow the "Rebirth" cult. That means the multiverse will end and whoever proved most worthy of representing a certain role, trope or function will be reincarnated as the principal deity of that thing when the next multiverse bursts into being and the circle begins anew. I.e. who was the closest representative of concepts like "white knight", "black knight" or "the bard" will be the equivalent of Iomedae, Asmodeus or Desna in the next version.

Kurald Galain
2018-11-08, 05:27 AM
So basically, Sithrak.