PDA

View Full Version : A motherload of questions

Azerian Kelimon
2007-09-19, 07:02 AM
Hi everyone. I wanted to ask a few questions 'bout a whole lotta things.

1) Does anybody know any site for playing D&D online? Aside from the official one.

2) D'you think improved toughness is worth it?

3) I'm trying to create an excellent tank. Which class and feats would you recommend me? If you're going to recommend a class with spells or maneuvers, tell me the key ones.

4) I'm trying to create a two weapon fighter with the most possible attacks, to capitalize on some 18-20/2x weapon. So far I've found a Warblade with Raging mongoose, slashing flurry, two weapon rend, and all the two weapon fighting feats seems best, but problem is, it requires epic level, which is okay, but I'd prefer it not to be. Any ideas?

5) If you combine weapon supremacy with slashing flurry you end up with an extra attack at +0, right? 'cause you can apply a +5 bonus on the second +15 attack, am I correct?

6) Are the save improving feats worth it?

7) D'you think a Tarrasque (albeit one with gigantic amounts of Hit dice) would be a good opponent for an ECL 50 party? I was thinking if it was possible, seeing as no limit is suggested for it, and it's extra immunities ("I cast Vengeful Gaze of God! And now I roll d%, and.... D'OH! Reflected back at me AND I take backlash damage! Backlash D'OH!") make it a fearsome adversary for non powergamer pah-tees.

8) Anybody knows the damage of a colossal longsword? I'm trying to help a swordsage scale up to an epic wizard, and having gauntlets of grandmastery which give perfect control of weapons of any size seem like a good choice.

9) Which is the best jack 'o all trades class and PrC? From what I know, seems like the best base jack is factotum, but I might be wrong.

Thanks in advance, everybody.

Kurald Galain
2007-09-19, 07:07 AM
Whoa.

1) Check wizards.com and enworld.org
2) Sometimes.
3) In core, a barbarian. If tome of battle is allowed, one of those. Check the various charop threads.
4) Check the various charop threads.
5) I don't know.
6) In almost every situation there are better feats to take.
7) No, because the party would kick his ass royally.
8) Probably.
9) Try the chameleon prestige class. Rogues and wizards make good Jacks.

ocato
2007-09-19, 07:07 AM
4. While I don't have the crunch on me, I've heard very good things about the tempest PrC.

Reinboom
2007-09-19, 07:15 AM
1) I also recommend taking a gander at OpenRPG (www.openrpg.com)
2) Depends on the build. It's worth it more if the DM allows it to completely replace normal toughness (ie: for things like Roll with It)
3) Barbarian or Warblade, look at roll with it (savage species)
6) Iron Will can be on melee. Otherwise, they are generally just used as prerequisites.
7) Depends on how optimized your party is and how intelligent they are. Most likely? No.
9) Spellthief build by fax, look it up in the forums.

Zincorium
2007-09-19, 07:17 AM
1. Here, in the PBP games section of the forums.
2. Not really. It's like a constitution improvement of 2, but only applied to hp.
3. Crusader, don't know much about manuevers but it has delayed damage as a constant ability and many options for healing in battle (with unlimited uses).
4. Dervish is good for TWF, or any melee really, and you get a doubling of your normal full attack as the capstone ability.
5. I'd have to check, and my books are all piled up in my closet right now.
6. No.
7. ECL 50 is beyond the intended scope of any rules intended for D&D. No one can say for sure.
8. Should be 8d6, but that's an extrapolation of existing trends in size. The actual damage of your weapon is pretty much irrelevant after a certain point anyway.
9. Factotum is pretty solid, warlock can work in a pinch and the Chameleon prestige class gives it to you wholesale.

Keld Denar
2007-09-19, 07:36 AM
1) Does anybody know any site for playing D&D online? Aside from the official one. Check OpenRPG website

2) D'you think improved toughness is worth it? Usually not, but if you have feats to burn (IE, fighter 20 or something) its ok.

3) I'm trying to create an excellent tank. Which class and feats would you recommend me? If you're going to recommend a class with spells or maneuvers, tell me the key ones. Crusader with Iron Guard Glare and a few other similar manuvers. I'd go dwarf for the extra con, and mountain plate + large shield and dwarven waraxe. Maybe multi into EWM1 for uncanny blow and/or Dwarven Defender.

4) I'm trying to create a two weapon fighter with the most possible attacks, to capitalize on some 18-20/2x weapon. So far I've found a Warblade with Raging mongoose, slashing flurry, two weapon rend, and all the two weapon fighting feats seems best, but problem is, it requires epic level, which is okay, but I'd prefer it not to be. Any ideas?
That is something I've thought of, although go kukiri or tiger claws. Focus on the 2 weapon chain, pick up other stuff if you can (like rend). Consider splashing fighter 2 if you really need the extra feats. Warblade already gets some bonus feats.

5) If you combine weapon supremacy with slashing flurry you end up with an extra attack at +0, right? 'cause you can apply a +5 bonus on the second +15 attack, am I correct?
The bonuses from weapon supremacy, melee weapon mastery, weapon focus, and weapon spec all stack. All penalties stack. Just take the net result.

No, they came out with new ones that allow you to use one stat bonus in place of another. Stuff like using your int bonus for reflex saves, or cha for will saves. These feats most often result in a bonus swing of more than 2 points.

7) D'you think a Tarrasque (albeit one with gigantic amounts of Hit dice) would be a good opponent for an ECL 50 party? I was thinking if it was possible, seeing as no limit is suggested for it, and it's extra immunities ("I cast Vengeful Gaze of God! And now I roll d%, and.... D'OH! Reflected back at me AND I take backlash damage! Backlash D'OH!") make it a fearsome adversary for non powergamer pah-tees.
An inteligent, balanced party of about level 15 with a scroll of wish (or ring of 3 wishes with at least one charge) can kill big T. He's not really that hard. Just play smart. Plenty of spells still affect big T, such as wall of force.

8) Anybody knows the damage of a colossal longsword? I'm trying to help a swordsage scale up to an epic wizard, and having gauntlets of grandmastery which give perfect control of weapons of any size seem like a good choice.
Longsword
medium > large > huge > gargantuan > colossal
1d8 > 2d6 > 3d6 > 4d6 > 5d6
Greatsword
2d6 > 3d6 > 4d6 > 5d6 > 6d6

9) Which is the best jack 'o all trades class and PrC? From what I know, seems like the best base jack is factotum, but I might be wrong.

This is a dumb question There is nothing a wizard 20 can't do.

Best support character?
Bard - Marshall - Sublime Chord
Many utility spells, unique abilities,lots of buffs, pretty much increases the power of the party by 2-3 levels.

OneWinged4ngel
2007-09-19, 07:58 AM
1) I also recommend taking a gander at OpenRPG (www.openrpg.com)

That's... the old site. The new site with the current version of OpenRPG and all its cool new stuff is here: http://www.openrpg.digitalxero.net/wiki/

Black Hand
2007-09-19, 08:30 AM
For other D&D sites (besides this one of course :smallbiggrin: )

I prefer http://www.myth-weavers.com Many posting options in there are excellent:

- You can add in additional dice rolls after posting without issue.
- you have an [ooc] format that you can use to highlight words with drop down box descriptions/pictures
- you can add Text into [spoilers] (Ie: [spoiler=Map]
- there is a [private] format that you can make single or multiple people only allowed to see.
- DM's get to create their own mini forum with different threads to avoid clutter on the gaming lists
- DM's get to use a DM Screen which can access the PC's character sheets directly and even have a quick sheet format as well as a spot for notes.
- DM's & players can do what is called a sheet roll, where by typing the quick roll format, it will automatically take the info from your character sheet and do all the adjustements for you.
- Comes with it's own 3E profiler character sheets with some advantages
- Has a random PC Generator
- Has a random Dungeon Generator
- Has a random Treasure Generator
- Has a random Town Generator
- Has a random Adventure hook selection in where you can also submit your own.

*Whew* Did I miss anything???

Reinboom
2007-09-19, 08:36 AM
That's... the old site. The new site with the current version of OpenRPG and all its cool new stuff is here: http://www.openrpg.digitalxero.net/wiki/

When you download the openrpg version from openrpg.com, it gives you a choice to upgrade to standard 1.7.3 or 1.7.3+ — or short, they provide the same thing.

Person_Man
2007-09-19, 09:16 AM
1) There are many. Just look around. I for one only play tabletop.

2) Rarely. There are a few good feats and PrC that require normal Toughness for entry. If your DM is nice, he'll let you take Improved Toughness instead.

3) Start a separate thread for this, there are a million tank builds.

4) Start a separate thread for this, there are many TWF options out there.

5) Don't take Weapon Supremacy or Slashing Fury. They're a huge waste of feats that provide minor bonuses. Also, you should almost never make a standard action attack. You should either charge, or make a full attack action.

6) Rarely. It depends on the build.

7) The game mechanics for D&D break down in Epic play. After a certain point, there is no such thing as game balance, because the players are essentially demi-gods. If you want to play a game like that, I suggest Amber or Mage.

8) Ah, Final Fantasy. Screwing D&D games since 1987. The damage for weapons of different sizes are in the DMG.

9) Jack of all Trades is a bit of a misnomer in D&D. Unless you're adventuring alone, you'll never be filling every niche (defender, slayer, healer, artillery, battlefield control, party buff, scout, party face, encyclopedia). So really, a Bard, Factotum, Dragonfire Adept, or similar class isn't a Jack of All Trades, they're just a flexible character. Which build is best depends on your party composition and which niches you want to fill.

Starbuck_II
2007-09-19, 11:30 AM
Hi everyone. I wanted to ask a few questions 'bout a whole lotta things.

1) Does anybody know any site for playing D&D online? Aside from the official one.

Not much.

2) D'you think improved toughness is worth it?

Yes. 1 hp/level is nice.

3) I'm trying to create an excellent tank. Which class and feats would you recommend me? If you're going to recommend a class with spells or maneuvers, tell me the key ones.

If Dwarf: Deep StoneWarden (2 levels).
If Human stone blessed (Dwarf) than Deepstone Warden (2 levels)

Why 2 levels of Deepstone Warden from Races of Stone? Con to AC instead of Dex. Qualifying means you will want some levels in Ranger [heal, survival, Know (nature), etc].
Yes, you can can get all your Con to AC.

Depends on how badly you need your save improved.

6d6. pg 28 in DMG.

Greatsword would be: 8d6.

Riffington
2007-09-20, 09:09 PM
I'm surprised to hear so many negs on improved toughness. Sure, it's no Pounce, but it's better than 85% of feats out there...

I mean, it's a feat that's almost as good as +2 to Con. That's way ahead of the curve. It's a bit more of Con than a +1AC feat is of Dex. And there isn't a +1AC feat... there's feats that add +1AC in certain situations only. Just like weapon focus is +1 dam, but only with a certain weapon. And +1 to the save DCs of your spells would be ridiculous.

So if you're just picking good feats (without specific feat trees or cheese or prestige classes in mind), improved toughness is certainly not a bad choice.

horseboy
2007-09-20, 10:19 PM
1) www.rpghq.org
2) Mephf
3) Fond of trips with reach weapons personally.
4 & 5) Can't help you.
6) Not unless you're playing a low level only game.

Quietus
2007-09-20, 10:51 PM
Keeping in mind I play mainly core...

1) If you like a world where dragons are the main thematic opponents, check out the Vethedar link in my sig.

2) Depends on the build - many builds don't have the feats to spare, but if you do, it can be helpful.

3) Just taking from core here, for pure tanking, barbarian or dwarven defender, depending on whether you want to be mobile or be able to suck up that much more damage.

4) Dervish has been mentioned, of which I'm partial. Sneak attack rogues are fun, as well. I believe if you're going ToB there's strikes/boosts that you can use that let you basically create an avalanche of attacks (One that lets you keep attacking till you miss, one that gives you stacking bonuses for each crit or something, and Girallian Windmill Flesh Rip or whatever from Raging Mongoose that gives you even more d6's for each additional hit you make)

5) You'd get two attacks on a standard with -5 to each, or full attack bonus on the first and -10 on the second. Similar situation with full attack, but ALL attacks end up with -5 on top of their normal iterative penalty.

6) They can be, depending on what books you have available. Steadfast Determination is better than Iron Will for most melee characters, but since I don't play with those books, Iron Will is a good choice.

7) Could be. It'll help if it's also Paragon and Pseudonatural.

8) 6d6

9) Core, I love me my bards and rogues. Outside of core, other people can make better suggestions.