PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Giving a bird companion ranged attacks (Path of War)

Aldrakan
2018-11-07, 05:31 PM
I'm working on a build for a Ravenlord vampire (Lords of Night version).

The basic concept is the vampire has Undying Ferocity and uses full attacks with his natural weapons to gain temporary hit points while his dark messenger flies around blasting people with ranged strikes, keeping him shrouded in Gloom.

I think it works okay just swapping a discipline for Elemental Flux and using maneuvers that create ray attacks, but I'm looking for some way to give the dark messenger ranged attacks of its own, with no restrictions on their use so it can still attack if the ravenlord needs to use a strike and to allow a little more flexibility in maneuver selection.

I'm looking at level 10, building as a GM so I'm not terribly concerned with how it got there or how it progresses from there. GM magic is limited; I'm assuming any discipline swaps and whatever retraining is needed, but besides that it should be pretty fair.

Azoth
2018-11-07, 06:51 PM
There is an Elemental Flux stance that let's you fire off elemental blasts as ranged touch attacks without the need of a strike.

If you can use Akashic Mysteries you can have the Raven take Shape Veil (Hand Cannons), and Extra Essence to have a decent range attack always regardless of manuevers and stance.

Aldrakan
2018-11-07, 07:14 PM
There is an Elemental Flux stance that let's you fire off elemental blasts as ranged touch attacks without the need of a strike.

If you can use Akashic Mysteries you can have the Raven take Shape Veil (Hand Cannons), and Extra Essence to have a decent range attack always regardless of manuevers and stance.

The problem with Enter the Vortex stance is it's 5th level and the raven can only use the harbinger's counters and strikes - to use the stance it would need to have it in its own right. And it wouldn't qualify for Martial Training V until 18th level.

I don't think the raven qualifies for Shape Veil either unfortunately; it requires character level fifth, but an animal companion has HD, not levels.

EDIT: It also lacks wrists, although I'm not 100% sure that would be an obstacle, not great on akashic.

ChrisAsmadi
2018-11-07, 07:20 PM
You might want to see if Radiant Dawn would work, since it has the inbuilt Sun's Gleam ranged attack.

Aldrakan
2018-11-07, 07:27 PM
You might want to see if Radiant Dawn would work, since it has the inbuilt Sun's Gleam ranged attack.

Sun's Gleam only works for initiating strikes that could have essence invested in them (so Radiant Dawn maneuvers and take Sunrise), was hoping for a way to get it independent of strikes.

Elricaltovilla
2018-11-07, 07:35 PM
Sun's Gleam only works for initiating strikes that could have essence invested in them (so Radiant Dawn maneuvers and take Sunrise), was hoping for a way to get it independent of strikes.

There is a trio of feats (sunrise, high noon and sunset) that would alleviate that issue if you take one of them. They let you invest essence in non-RD maneuvers.

Azoth
2018-11-07, 08:16 PM
Shape Veil
You gain the ability to shape a single veil.

Prerequisite: Con 13 or veilweaver level 1, Wis 13.

The bird qualifies after 4th level when it gets +2 Con.

As for slots...

Avian
Armor, belt, chest, eyes, headband, neck, ring, wrist

If it has a wrist slot for magic items, it has a wrist chakra to shape a veil on.

Aldrakan
2018-11-07, 10:49 PM
Shape Veil
You gain the ability to shape a single veil.

Prerequisite: Con 13 or veilweaver level 1, Wis 13.

Okay it looks like the prerequisites are inconsistent between where you look.

The version I'm reading is as follows:

Prerequisite(s): Veilweaver level 3rd or Con 13, Wis 13, and character level 5th.

Anyone know the correct version?

If the easier-access version is correct I think technically, lacking a character level, the raven's essence capacity would be 0 or undefined, but if there's an akashic monster with HD somewhere that invests essence that can be excused.

It's not the most elegant solution, but I appreciate it's a tricky ask.

Domar
2018-11-07, 11:28 PM
The Monstrous Companion feat would let your Dark Messenger gain levels in Vizier.

Azoth
2018-11-08, 12:01 AM
Okay it looks like the prerequisites are inconsistent between where you look.

The version I'm reading is as follows:

Prerequisite(s): Veilweaver level 3rd or Con 13, Wis 13, and character level 5th.

Anyone know the correct version?

If the easier-access version is correct I think technically, lacking a character level, the raven's essence capacity would be 0 or undefined, but if there's an akashic monster with HD somewhere that invests essence that can be excused.

It's not the most elegant solution, but I appreciate it's a tricky ask.

I checked my hardcover and my PDF of Akashic Mysteries, and the prerequisites match what I posted.

As for the Hit Dice and character level thing...that gets a bit murkier. I have commonly just seen groups use an Animal Companion's Hit Dice as it's effective character level for qualifying for feats.

torrasque666
2018-11-08, 11:39 AM
The Monstrous Companion feat would let your Dark Messenger gain levels in Vizier.
Monstrous Companion is very specifically Magical Beasts, and pulls from a very limited list. It also replaces your companion, and doesn't let you apply it to your existing companion. A Ravenlord can no more select their bird as their Monstrous Companion than a Cavalier can select their horse.

Aldrakan
2018-11-08, 05:21 PM
Monstrous Companion is very specifically Magical Beasts, and pulls from a very limited list. It also replaces your companion, and doesn't let you apply it to your existing companion. A Ravenlord can no more select their bird as their Monstrous Companion than a Cavalier can select their horse.

Yeah a monstrous companion wouldn't be able to initiate the ravenlord's strikes or generate Gloom, which are integral.

I admit I'm not terribly keen on Hand Cannons (the weirdness over essence investment, adding an extra system an for what's basically a "fill" ability), but it does seem to be the only solution. I'll work on it some more and see if it feels needed for the raven to have non-strike ranged attacks. Possibly add Radiant Dawn (suitably reflavored) for Sun's Gleam for additional ranged strike options.

Elricaltovilla
2018-11-08, 05:37 PM
Yeah a monstrous companion wouldn't be able to initiate the ravenlord's strikes or generate Gloom, which are integral.

I admit I'm not terribly keen on Hand Cannons (the weirdness over essence investment, adding an extra system an for what's basically a "fill" ability), but it does seem to be the only solution. I'll work on it some more and see if it feels needed for the raven to have non-strike ranged attacks. Possibly add Radiant Dawn (suitably reflavored) for Sun's Gleam for additional ranged strike options.

Since you seem to have missed this from before:

There is a trio of feats (sunrise, high noon and sunset) that would alleviate that issue if you take one of them. They let you invest essence in non-RD maneuvers.

If you take the sunrise, high noon or sunset feat you can invest essence in any of your maneuvers. Because these maneuvers can now have essence invested in them the become legal sources for using Sun's Gleam even though they are not Radiant Dawn maneuvers.

Aldrakan
2018-11-08, 07:49 PM
Since you seem to have missed this from before:

If you take the sunrise, high noon or sunset feat you can invest essence in any of your maneuvers. Because these maneuvers can now have essence invested in them the become legal sources for using Sun's Gleam even though they are not Radiant Dawn maneuvers.

I didn't miss it. If you re-read the post you originally responded to, you'll see that I actually reference taking Sunrise (although High Noon or Sunset would admittedly probably be better choices) in it. I was looking for a way to get a ranged attack that wasn't dependent on using strikes in any way.

Upon further examination I'm concluding an independent ranged attack is likely unnecessary.

Aldrakan
2018-11-08, 10:15 PM
Okay I've found something that isn't exactly what I was looking for, but works well enough.

Take Undead Companion, then the dark messenger takes Ancestor's Breath.

I'm going to treat the dread messenger's HD as level for a 30' cone of 4d6 negative energy damage usable every other round. Bonus, it can also heal its master by using it.

I'll write it up and post the finished build. Thanks everyone for the advice.

Aldrakan
2018-11-10, 10:22 AM
Finishing writing up the character build. Getting the balance of boosts/counters/strikes was tricky and I'm sure there are improvements that could be made. In the end the raven relied mostly on maneuvers that fire rays or missiles instead of getting a built-in ranged attack, but does have a breath weapon for if maneuvers are running low and it's not a good time to claim.
For the purposes of this character, reflavor Radiant Dawn maneuvers to be darkness based, e.g. Stance of the Sunlight Shield is Stance of the Midnight Shield and creates shadow walls. To avoid confusion the names below have not been changed.

Duke Moloroy the Denied

Svetocher vampire ravenlord (harbinger) 10

CE medium undead
Init+6 Senses darkvision 60ft., low-light vision; Perception +10

Defense
AC 24, touch 18, flat-footed 18 (+2 Dex, +2 Deflect, +6 armor+4 Dodge)
hp 88
Fort 12, Ref 7, Will 11
Defensive abilities channel resistance +4, elusive shadow, undead resistance; Immune undead traits, Weakness sunlight vulnerability, vampire weakness (spilled blood), svetocher weakness

Offense
Speed 30 ft.
Melee bite (+16, 1d6 +18+ vicious), claws (+16/+16, 1d4+18+vicious)
Ranged composite longbow+5 (+15/+10, 1d8+11), sun’s gleam (+17, 1d6+12, touch atk force damage, RD strikes only)
Special attacks vampiric bite, undying ferocity claws (gain temp hp =½ damage dealt)
Spell-like abilities (CL 10)
At-will - magic aura (self only)
1/day - obscuring mist

Harbinger maneuvers readied (7)- Strength of Hell(BS), Curate’s Strike(RD), Time Skitter(RH), Lance of Power(EF), Arcane Torrent(EF), Divide and Conquer(RD), Relativity Burst (RH)

Harbinger maneuvers known (IL 10, initator ability mod +6)
1st- Strength of Hell(BS), Minute Hand(RH)
2nd-Eldritch Fang(EF), Curate’s Strike(RD)
3rd-Time Skitter(RH), Unfettered Movement(BS), Lance of Power(EF), Energy Jolt(EF)
4th-Arcane Torrent(EF), Decree of Silence(RD)
5th-Divide and Conquer(RD), Relativity Burst (RH)

Harbinger Stances known (IL 10, active stance is Riven Hourglass, included stat block)

1st - Spirit Sensing Stance(VM), Elemental Nimbus(EF)
3rd - Riven Hourglass Stance(RH)
5th - Stance of the Sunlight Shield(RD)

Statistics
Str 24, Dex 14, Con -, Int 22, Wis 10, Char 16
Base Atk +7; CMB +17; CMD +28

Feats Power Attack(-2/+4), Tactical Rush, Grasp of Darkness, Advanced Study: Elemental Focus, Undead Companion, Extra Readied Maneuver

Combat Gear amulet of mighty fists vicious +1, chain shirt+2; Other gear belt of mighty strength +4, headband of vast intelligence +4, cloak of resistance +2, ring of protection +2, potion of fly, potion of barkskin

Skills Acrobatics +15, Bluff 18, Diplomacy 20, Intimidate 16, Knowledge (Nobility) 21, Knowledge (Arcana) 19 Peception 10, Ride 10, Spellcraft 14, Stealth 13, Survival 13

SQ
accursed will (+3 atk, +6 dmg rolls), vampiric power (undying ferocity), dark claim, channel of woe (gloom 10 ft. rad., -4 AC, atk, dmg rolls, -2 ref saves, skill checks), ill intentions (-2 saves and skill checks to flanked), dark focus: elemental flux (+3 atk, dmg rolls, +1 DC elemental flux maneuvers), telepathic with Vile Whisper

Vile Whisper

CE small undead dark messenger
Init +4 Senses darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision, Perception +15 (+17 vs stealth, +25 vs invisible)

Defense
AC 22, touch 13, flat-footed 18 (+4 Dex, +1 size, +7 natural)
Hp 66
Fort 9, Ref 10, Will 5
Defensive abilities evasion, devotion, channel resist +6, positive energy resist 5 Immune undead traits

Offense
Speed 10 ft., fly 80 ft. (average)
Melee bite (+9, 1d4+2), talons (+9/+9, 1d4+2)
Ranged sun’s gleam (+11, 1d6+6) or per maneuver; +1 atk & dmg within 30 ft.
Special Attacks breath weapon (30 ft. cone, 4d6 negative energy damage, DC 17)

Statistics
Str 15, Dex 18, Con - Int 22, Wis 14, Cha 16
Base Atk 6; CMB 7; CMD 21

Feats Toughness, Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Tap Animus, Tenacious Hunter, Ancestor’s Breath

Skills Appraise +15, Escape Artist +16, Fly +16, Perception +15, Sense Motive +11, Stealth +16, Spellcraft +15

SQ dark focus: elemental flux (+3 atk, dmg rolls, +1 DC elemental flux maneuvers), telepathic with Moloroy, channel of woe, sorrow’s shadow (small, medium, or large)

Tactics

Before Combat If Moloroy expects a difficult fight he will drink a barkskin potion, and if they are adept at aerial combat a potion of fly. If he initiates the battle he will use time skitter immediately before engaging. If he has allies they are usually mercenaries who will not sacrifice themselves for him.

During Combat If his opponents cannot effectively engage a flying enemy he will ride Vile Whisper and strafe them with arrows and ranged strikes until Moloroy considers them sufficiently weakened, then drop down to finish them off.
While dismounted he will begin by attempting to select the most vulnerable target, reach them using relativity burst, and have Vile Whisper initiate a strike to generate gloom before making a full attack. He will continue to attempt full attacks whenever possible while Vile Whisper initiates ranged strikes. If he has trouble reaching his desired target Vile Whisper may use divide and conquer to bring them to him.
If enemies attempt to flee or focus their offense on Vile Whisper he will use Stance of the Sunlight Shield to interfere with their passage and attacks. If forced to flee he will have Vile Whisper return to large form and mount him to fly away, using Stance of the Sunlight Shield to create barriers. However he is loath to leave battle so long as his attacks are tearing flesh.

Background

A dhampir raised as trusted aide to his vampiric “father”, an ancient mage rumored to guard an artifact of immense power, Moloroy buried his resentments over his position, expressing his doubts only to the castle ravens until one of them began to speak his darkest thoughts back to him. He named it Vile Whisper as a reminder to ignore its counsel and served for decades, until his master decided it was time to die. Learning he was to inherit the castle, lands, title and vampirism all, he abandoned his resentment and strangled Vile Whisper, who remained a corpse.
When he woke undead, his master spoke to him one last time, and just before he left to meet his end Moloroy asked, as he had a hundred times before, about the artifact his master was said to guard that he had always refused to confirm existed. “It has been left with one I trust,” was the reply.
This likely unintentional slight, combined with the death of his father, killing his oldest companion, and transitioning to undeath, shattered what balance Moloroy had achieved. He became obsessed with the artifact he had never seen, and one by one killed his father’s retainers seeking it. When Vile Whisper’s carcass rose again to sit on his shoulder he began to heed its advice, becoming more bloodthirsty and obsessed each day.
Moloroy is a scheming and tyrannical vampire noble who can easily provoke military conflict and hires unscrupulous mercenaries to aid his search for the artifact. It is also possible for him to believe a player holds secrets relating to the artifact or even, in the case of a vampire or dhampir player, is his master’s “true heir” (likely fictional); he is not rational in this area, and can easily come to these beliefs without real evidence.

Apologies for any errors, I used a character sheet for building and don't have a ton of experience creating stat blocks like this.