PDA

View Full Version : Which Spells/Powers Would You Pick?

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-11-07, 06:02 PM
Complete Arcane has the Innate Spell feat, detailed below:

Innate Spell [General] (Complete Arcane, p. 80)

You have mastered a spell so thoroughly that you can now use it as a spell-like ability.

Prerequisite: Quicken Spell, Silent Spell, Still Spell

Benefit: Choose any spell you can cast. You can now cast this spell at will as a spell-like ability once per round. One spell slot eight levels higher than the innate spell is permanently used to power it, and any XP cost for the innate spell is paid each time you use it. As well, you must have any focus required by the spell in order to use it as a spell-like ability, and if the innate spell has a costly material component, you must use an item worth 50 times that cost as a focus. Since an innate spell is a spell-like ability and not an actual spell, a cleric can't lose it to spontaneously cast a cure or inflict spell. As well, spellcasters who become unable to cast spells of the level of the spell slot used to power the innate spell become unable to use the spell-like ability.

Special: You can choose this feat more than once, selecting another spell and paying the spell slot, focus, and material components costs each time.

Now, I'm in a rather unusual position for this character, in that the game uses spell-points, as defined in Unearthed Arcana, and spells and powers are mostly equivalent, in that, while psionics runs by its own mechanics fairly normally, it can also use feats that affect spells, such as the Innate Spell feat above, though you permanently pay the cost of the power +16 pp instead of a spell slot 8 levels higher, limited by one's manifester level.

I have the option of using both powers and spells, as I have a fairly high level wizard/psion/mind mage/cerebremancer build in mind, so I have access to both sets of abilities to use with the feat. I can also access (in a limited fashion) spells from other lists, such as cleric, druid, and shugenja, though I'll have to pay quite a lot of gp for them.

What spell(s) and power(s) would you burn the above feat on?

So far, I'm thinking bestow power and (greater) arcane fusion. Miracle would be pretty fantastic if I can get my ML high enough in epic levels, which might very well happen. Any other suggestions for this?

Quertus
2018-11-07, 07:00 PM
Well, what can't Miracle give you, and what do you need in order to survive long enough to get to Miracle?

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-11-07, 11:44 PM
Well, what can't Miracle give you, and what do you need in order to survive long enough to get to Miracle?Miracle is always a standard action, so immediates and swifts (and moves, if any) are out. And if your DM is extra-picky and decides that miracle must be granted by a god...and that god is rather crotchety at being poked at all the time...

Plus, miracle can't emulate other 9th level cleric spells (or epic spells, for that matter) or higher level: arcane spells/non-cleric divine spells/psionic powers (or infusions, or mysteries, or...) unless you spend 5,000 xp on it.

And then there are effects you want to stay in their original school due to rider effects, such as a boosted silent image.

Ruethgar
2018-11-09, 12:34 PM
Create Element pre-epic definitely. You can abuse the hell out of that if you’re given the option to pick the type of stone, somewhat with Water as well, but you’re already walking on eggshells with Earth.