PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Muted communication

Dark Schneider
2018-11-08, 02:06 AM
How would be handled muted communication between players? If signs language exists to be learnt, or by some skill check, maybe Performance as it could be some mimic based, or some based on WIS?
Maybe they could create their own internal sign language and use the trainning downtime rule for all to learn it.

Galithar
2018-11-08, 02:39 AM
Put in the situation myself, I'd probably use detect thoughts to work with the muted person and develop at least partial sign language. Given high enough level I'd just use Rary's Telepathic Bond (assuming the party has a wizard)

Edit: Or dip GOO Warlock to super Meta-Game make it irrelevant :P

Dark Schneider
2018-11-08, 02:43 AM
Well the truth is that special ops can communicate with signs, so something similar.

Also:
https://www.sageadvice.eu/2018/06/15/does-the-common-tongue-have-sign-language/
??

Corran
2018-11-08, 03:23 AM
We've used thieves' cant for this at my table (which we would pass on to more members of the group during downtime as per the 'learning a new language' rules).

Though it has been the cause of serious miscommunication on a few occasions.
''Cy' signals to me that there are three wolves inside that room, one black, one grey and one white. The grey wolf is fluffy and cute. Now we must run away for our lives!''

Magzimum
2018-11-08, 04:57 AM
If the players have no magic available, no telepathy, and sign language (like special ops) is the only option, then I'd make them roleplay it at the table. In silence.

If they are able to get the message across, then it's ok. If not, then whatever teamwork they are doing probably fails. It's probably hilarious too.

BLC1975
2018-11-08, 11:39 AM
If signal communication is to be used in my game I would ask what message the player is intending to give to their team member and depending on how complex it is I would have them roll a performance check with a lower or higher DC. If it was a really simple signal though I woudl just assume it was successful...I'm not going to make anyone roll a skill check for "I'll go right, you go left" or a "3-2-1" countdown.

Mellack
2018-11-08, 01:34 PM
If the players have no magic available, no telepathy, and sign language (like special ops) is the only option, then I'd make them roleplay it at the table. In silence.

If they are able to get the message across, then it's ok. If not, then whatever teamwork they are doing probably fails. It's probably hilarious too.

If it is a one-time on the fly thing I would agree with you. If the characters have the time and spend a few hours working on it I would just let them have it work, no need for the players to spend that time.

Laserlight
2018-11-08, 01:51 PM

I have had my players do that. Good players who are willing to have their characters do unwise-but-in-character things. Hilarity did in fact ensue.