PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Wizard/Druid with Staff of the Woodlands = Free Arcane Ward recharge?

sithlordnergal
2018-11-08, 04:02 AM
So...I was updating my AL Druid when I looked over the Staff of the Woodlands she owns, and realized something. The staff lets you cast Pass Without Trace as an action for 0 charges. Arcane Ward has the following wording:

"When you cast an abjuration spell of 1st level or higher, you can simultaneously use a strand of the spell's magic to create a magical ward on yourself that lasts until you finish a long rest. The ward has hit points equal to twice your wizard level + your Intelligence modifier. Whenever you take damage, the ward takes the damage instead. If this damage reduces the ward to 0 hit points, you take any remaining damage.

While the ward has 0 hit points, it can't absorb damage, but its magic remains. Whenever you cast an abjuration spell of 1st level or higher, the ward regains a number of hit points equal to twice the level of the spell."

Would casting Pass Without Trace from a Staff of the Woodlands count for recharging your Arcane Ward? Because if so, it would be incredibly useful for a Druid/Abjuration Wizard. It wouldn't be that useful in combat, I'll admit, but there'd literally be no reason not to reset your Ward back to its max hp after every battle as long as your staff wasn't destroyed. And seeing as I do have a Staff of the Woodlands on one of my characters in AL, I could easily just trade it with an item of the same rarity and from the same table as it.

DwarfDM
2018-11-08, 04:13 AM
As a DM I would allow it. It is part of your build and not game breaking. So go right ahead. You cast the spell. So it triggers your ward.

Also you had to MC to do this.

sithlordnergal
2018-11-08, 04:39 AM
That's what I figured, I just wanted to make sure. Heh, and not only is it a multiclass, but its an annoying MAD multiclass with two different primary casting stats. xp But hey, if it lets me make a more effective character using my parameters for the particular trio I made, then I'm happy.

Zene
2018-11-08, 04:58 AM
So...I was updating my AL Druid when I looked over the Staff of the Woodlands she owns, and realized something. The staff lets you cast Pass Without Trace as an action for 0 charges. Arcane Ward has the following wording:

"When you cast an abjuration spell of 1st level or higher, you can simultaneously use a strand of the spell's magic to create a magical ward on yourself that lasts until you finish a long rest. The ward has hit points equal to twice your wizard level + your Intelligence modifier. Whenever you take damage, the ward takes the damage instead. If this damage reduces the ward to 0 hit points, you take any remaining damage.

While the ward has 0 hit points, it can't absorb damage, but its magic remains. Whenever you cast an abjuration spell of 1st level or higher, the ward regains a number of hit points equal to twice the level of the spell."

Would casting Pass Without Trace from a Staff of the Woodlands count for recharging your Arcane Ward? Because if so, it would be incredibly useful for a Druid/Abjuration Wizard. It wouldn't be that useful in combat, I'll admit, but there'd literally be no reason not to reset your Ward back to its max hp after every battle as long as your staff wasn't destroyed. And seeing as I do have a Staff of the Woodlands on one of my characters in AL, I could easily just trade it with an item of the same rarity and from the same table as it.

Yes, it works that way. You can also do it without multiclassing with a staff of the magi, which allows you to cast arcane lock at will.

sithlordnergal
2018-11-08, 04:59 AM
Yes, it works that way. You can also do it without multiclassing with a staff of the magi, which allows you to cast arcane lock at will.

Hmmm, I've never really looked at the Staff of the Magi since I've never used/had one before. Might be a nice upgrade eventually for my Staff of the Woodlands. =O

JackPhoenix
2018-11-08, 07:10 AM
Sure. Wizard/warlocks can do it with the Armor of Shadows (but it takes longer, as it's a level 1 spell) and svirfneblin can do it with their racial feat on pure wizard.

Sahe
2018-11-08, 09:04 AM
At least between combats, pure Wizards can also do it by ritual casting Alarm.

8wGremlin
2018-11-08, 01:40 PM
Svirfneblin can do it at 4th level Abjuration wizard when they take their racial spells feat (Svirfneblin Magic)
This is the non-detection spell which they can cast at WILL, and it's a 3rd level abjuration spell.

Dalebert
2018-11-08, 09:44 PM
And any abjurer can do it at 18th when they get a 1st and 2nd at-will spell. So yeah, various ways to get there. it's nice but since it's impractical to do in combat due to the action economy, it's fine. Basically means your ward will always be charged up at the start of a combat.