PDA

View Full Version : PF-Mobile homes.

Doomboy911
2018-11-08, 12:23 PM
So I love some sweet adventuring but I've been reading a ton of stronghold builder's guide from 3.5 and had the thought of building small bits of house like 10 by 10 and then casting shrink item to make them more portable. Then when I hit 9th level putting permanency on all of this so I could build a bigger house that I just break down into parts.

Does this seem like a viable strategy for mobile homes or can you lovely folks think of something better?

unseenmage
2018-11-08, 09:52 PM
Somewhere in my extended sig, probably the Clockwork Spacewhales thread, I list all of the Downtime rules buildings by their Animated Object size.

My group imagines that a building which is built properly could totally all count as a single object for Animate Objects.

Using animated objects construction points to hive your house flight we imagined working like the house from the movie UP.

Even built a secret tunnel building with a burrow speed for espianage in style.

EDIT: Found it. Enjoy (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=20204081&postcount=8).

Also, the Behemoth Golem (http://aonprd.com/MonsterDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Behemoth%20Golem) could be fun too. Just slap some bunks in the fort on it's back.

Doomboy911
2018-11-09, 06:31 PM
Though very interesting I'm a very low level player and creating either of those isn't viable. I'm thinking more like building houses and just shrinking them down.

Alent
2018-11-09, 07:06 PM
My own personal favorite "mobile home" is the Enveloping Pit fortress. Put in 8ish foot tall floors, you get a nice little private 6 story mage tower. I have been known to slip them in on every character I can. You will need to find a way to talk your DM into letting you put air in it- my current "go to" method for that is to go with a fan theory I saw somewhere that an enveloping pit/portable hole has the traits of the plane it was created on, and have it created on a plane with the air trait. (Timeless would also work, I think? Someone will probably be all too happy to correct me on how wrong this is, I'm sure.)

unseenmage
2018-11-09, 07:51 PM
Though very interesting I'm a very low level player and creating either of those isn't viable. I'm thinking more like building houses and just shrinking them down.

The CL requirement for Shrink Item to affect huge or larger objects requires a much higher level than Craft Wondrous Item.

And the price for building Construct is often cheaper if you use the Price by CR guidelines in the Building and Modifying Constucts section of the PRD.

Erloas
2018-11-09, 07:58 PM
I suppose the first question is how big of a house are you thinking? A Vardo (or enclosed wagon, as wagon gets used very generally) would be very easy to do with the simple heavy wagon that is already listed. A bit of carpentry and/or clockwork parts and it shouldn't be hard to justify to the DM that parts can fold out when stopped so you can fit more in it (but haul less, as the extra walls/etc take up weight). Wouldn't protect you from anything too big and dangerous, but would from more mundane hazards. Not exactly "take into the dungeon with you" mobile but it also doesn't require high level magic.

Doomboy911
2018-11-09, 09:54 PM
I suppose the first question is how big of a house are you thinking? A Vardo (or enclosed wagon, as wagon gets used very generally) would be very easy to do with the simple heavy wagon that is already listed. A bit of carpentry and/or clockwork parts and it shouldn't be hard to justify to the DM that parts can fold out when stopped so you can fit more in it (but haul less, as the extra walls/etc take up weight). Wouldn't protect you from anything too big and dangerous, but would from more mundane hazards. Not exactly "take into the dungeon with you" mobile but it also doesn't require high level magic.

On that note my plan was to create 10 by 10 areas that could attach to each other to form a kind of modular house. I'd be able to make a larger house with more usage of the spell. As for reducing cost I was considering either a mallet of building or marvelous pigments. (The marvelous pigments being the easier option but I just had my heart set on building a house from scratch.)

Erloas
2018-11-09, 10:54 PM
If you wanted to use Shrink Item and figure a wall at 3" thick you could get 4 widths worth into a foot, so a 10sqft of shrunken material (soonest you can get Shrink item spell is level 5, 2cft/level) which would give you a 6ftx6.7ft material. That is going to be a lot of casting to make anything of much size.At only 1" thick though you could get a 6ftx20ft section, but that is pretty thin for a house wall, though not too bad if you could make it out of metal.

Of course an Instant Fortress is only 55k GP, and its 20x20 and 30ft tall. That would seem like a much faster and easier way to go. It would also give you a good point to get a DM to let you homebrew something a bit more specific. Of course with that, the base spell is Mage's Magnificient Mansion, which is a 7 slot spell, so not happening early. Unless you can find one somewhere.

ericgrau
2018-11-09, 11:20 PM
Instant fortress would need some homebrew because I don't think you can store anything in it.

Why not build it inside a portable hole? Maybe with a mechanism so it lifts out while in use and lowers back in when done. That way you can have windows, coolness factor, etc. That's only 6 feet across though.

Doomboy911
2018-11-09, 11:45 PM
Money's a little tight at the moment as we have about 30,000 divided by 5 folks.

ericgrau
2018-11-10, 10:06 AM
Well you can always cast secure shelter and get a premade cottage with preselected furnishings. It's a level 4 core spell.