PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed I want to run fast and hit hard in d&d 3.5

PacMan41000
2018-11-08, 04:15 PM
I have a character idea that hits using *fall damage but uses a sword to do so. I know how I want to build the character, I just don't know what feats or items I would need to work towards to do so. I want to avoid homebrew completely and the Sword will be a Bastard Sword(Katana).

Edit: And it will be a human, and be preferably wearing medium armor(Which will be mithral).
Edit: My DM also has a character that can move fast enough to break the sound barrier but that character is a monk with other classes that I don't know and other means that he refuses to assist with. My character is is for a different campaign than his.

ATHATH
2018-11-08, 04:22 PM
http://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=333.0

Inevitability
2018-11-09, 08:32 AM
What do you mean with 'fail damage'? Do you mean fall damage? There's a number of feats that let you deal more damage by falling or jumping before striking.

Mike Miller
2018-11-09, 10:41 AM
What do you mean with 'fail damage'? Do you mean fall damage? There's a number of feats that let you deal more damage by falling or jumping before striking.

Bastard sword is generally considered "fail," right? Seems legit

Gnaritas
2018-11-09, 02:23 PM
Barbarian gets a speed bonus and hits hard.

PacMan41000
2018-11-09, 04:15 PM

Thanks for point that out, I do mean fall, but I'm talking more about moving fast enough to punch someone with fall damage, I know about the quick Trait, and the Spear Rapid Wraith. I can't find any feats that increase base speed or any other items that do so

Barbarian gets a speed bonus and hits hard.

I forgot about that, I'm think a first level barbarian, a least first level cleric for the travel domain, and fighter for the feats to prestige in Sword Dancer

Inevitability
2018-11-09, 04:24 PM
Thanks for point that out, I do mean fall, but I'm talking more about moving fast enough to punch someone with fall damage, I know about the quick Trait, and the Spear Rapid Wraith. I can't find any feats that increase base speed or any other items that do so

Unless you are actually falling (as in, moving vertically downwards) you can't add fall damage to your attacks.

However, you can take the Leap Attack feat, which increases damage if you jump before attacking. Being faster makes it easier to succeed on the required jump check. The Sudden Leap maneuver also works well with this.

RNightstalker
2018-11-09, 10:21 PM
Not in any particular order:
Give up the fast movement class feature from Barbarian to get Lion Totem(CC 46), it gives you pounce so once you run really fast and still make a full attack. Take the Druid class for Druidic Avenger(UA 51). You don’t lose your wild shape ability so you can take Cheetah’s Speed(CD 79), spend a wild shape to increase your base speed to 50, and once an hour move 10x speed as part of a charge, and full attack at the end due to pounce.
Belt of Battle will let you get more actions in a round. A two level dip into swordsage(ToB) at the right time will give you AC bonus like the Monk(except you can still wear light armor!) and Time Stands Still maneuver for double attack. Also in ToB: Desert Tempest-make single attack against an enemy when you exit an adjacent square, Moment of Alacrity- +20 initiative, and Tiger Claw has some maneuvers that give bonus damage from above.
A Cleric dip will open up Divine Vigor(CW 108), +10 base speed, as well as turn undead to power Travel Devotion.
A Phoenix Cloak (MIC 210) gives you flying with perfect maneuverability at your land speed.
Quick Trait(UA 89), +10 base land speed, at cost of -1hp/level.
Fleet of Foot(PGtF 38), +10 base land speed, only available at 1st level but stacks with class base land speed bonus too.
Dervish(CW 25-7) 1 level dip gives Dervish Dance which lets you move in between each attack and movement mastery, which lets you take 10 on Tumble checks to avoid AoO.
My DM let me swap out my animal companion for Animal Devotion(CC 55)-Cheetah’s Sprint: gain 5ft sacred +5ft/level (+30 @ level 20). Whether yours does that or not, Animal Devotion is the only sacred bonus to speed I know of.
Twisted Charge(CS 90)-skill trick that lets you turn once up to 90 degrees during a charge.
And of course: Footsteps of the Divine(CC 120-1), choosing Fharlanghn gives you +50ft unnamed, and you can burst it for +10ft/rds remaining.
Variant Ranger(CW 13) gives an unnamed bonus to base land speed at 6th.
Great Flyby Attack (SS 35) allows you to attack everyone in a line at your best bonus(only one roll though, so Fortuitous Strike (CS 77) could come in handy).
The Skirmish class ability from Scout (CA12) gives bonus damage and AC for moving and attacking.