PDA

View Full Version : Another "What would you do with these stats?" thread

Sigreid
2018-11-08, 06:51 PM
So I just rolled for stats fro a backup character and I got 3 12's an 11 a 13 and a 9. I most often play wizard types but think it would be fun to do something different though still with some eerie powers. Race and stat arrangement are all up for grabs.

I'm interested in what you all would do.

CTurbo
2018-11-08, 08:18 PM
So I just rolled for stats fro a backup character and I got 3 12's an 11 a 13 and a 9. I most often play wizard types but think it would be fun to do something different though still with some eerie powers. Race and stat arrangement are all up for grabs.

I'm interested in what you all would do.

I would probably choose either Hexblade or something with Shillelagh access for SADness. Start with 14 in Dex and Wis/Cha. Get Medium Armor and focus on boosting your main stat which would be Wis or Cha.

Sigreid
2018-11-08, 10:22 PM
Thanks for the thought. Makes sense.

LudicSavant
2018-11-08, 10:36 PM
I would probably choose either Hexblade or something with Shillelagh access for SADness. Start with 14 in Dex and Wis/Cha. Get Medium Armor and focus on boosting your main stat which would be Wis or Cha.

This is good advice. Basically what I would have said if CTurbo hadn't already said it.

I'll add that you can totally be a caster and focus on spells that don't really rely much on your stats to work.

Sigreid
2018-11-08, 10:43 PM
This is good advice. Basically what I would have said if CTurbo hadn't already said it.

I'll add that you can totally be a caster and focus on spells that don't really rely much on your stats to work.

Yeah, I was largely curious because when you see these kinds of threads it's usually for pretty high rolls. I was curious what people would do with a character that was thoroughly just a bit above average, but not at all a demigod.

LudicSavant
2018-11-08, 10:47 PM
Yeah, I was largely curious because when you see these kinds of threads it's usually for pretty high rolls. I was curious what people would do with a character that was thoroughly just a bit above average, but not at all a demigod.

I once had a character that rolled just 1 point above the threshold for rerolling stats due to low rolls (according to the PHB). I played a Moon Druid and was the most influential character in the party, power-wise.

The reason Moon Druid is good with low rolls is because a lot of the good things druids do don't care all that much about your stats. Heck, your stats are just plain replaced when you're Wildshaped.

Sigreid
2018-11-08, 10:51 PM
I once had a character that rolled just 1 point above the threshold for rerolling stats due to low rolls (according to the PHB). I played a Moon Druid and was the most influential character in the party, power-wise.

The reason Moon Druid is good with low rolls is because a lot of the good things druids do don't care all that much about your stats. Heck, your stats are just plain replaced when you're Wildshaped.

Once in the Palladium system I had a character who had 1 stat at 12 and the rest were all below 8. I made him a fire warlock and pretty much everyone was afraid of him by the time I was done.

R.Shackleford
2018-11-08, 11:24 PM
Stout Halfling Barbarian (Wolf Totem)

Get deception and acrobatics as skills (disguise kit too)

Medium Armor + Shield = decent AC

Obtain Actor feat for hilarity.

Use your rage to grant allies advantage. Use acrobatics to climb on bigger creatures.

Be a great tank.

Climb on a bigger creature and start pretending to be Yoda.

Sigreid
2018-11-09, 12:07 PM
Stout Halfling Barbarian (Wolf Totem)

Get deception and acrobatics as skills (disguise kit too)

Medium Armor + Shield = decent AC

Obtain Actor feat for hilarity.

Use your rage to grant allies advantage. Use acrobatics to climb on bigger creatures.

Be a great tank.

Climb on a bigger creature and start pretending to be Yoda.

Nothing to say to this but LOL.

MagneticKitty
2018-11-09, 01:48 PM
Cha con and dex as your highest stats,
Halfelf or Tabaxi or variant human
Str as the dump 9

If more martial Bard swords 9 / scout rogue 6 (6 expertise) / hexbladelock 5 (skilled and +1 weapon invocation)

Or more casty bard lore 14 / scout rogue 3 (4 expertise) / hexbladelock 3 (skilled invocation)

Skilled feat

Name yourself jack. Of all trades.
Be good at all skill checks. Rapier and shield using cha to attack

Corran
2018-11-09, 02:06 PM
For some reason I think a rogue would be a good idea. Rogues rely on almost all the stats (int for traps and some tool proficiencies, wis is good for a few important skills and saves, charisma covers your social encounters, con for hp and saves), so you can make good use of all those positive modifiers you have at most of your stats, but they only really need to raise dex. So, an elf (thief) archer rogue for example, with starting stats of STR 9, DEX 15, CON 12, INT 12, WIS 12, CHA 12, would probably be pretty good (I assume you could take elven accuracy to boost dex at level 4; I am also assuming it is at least half as good as people generally claim it to be).

8wGremlin
2018-11-09, 03:36 PM
Kalashtar Barbarian (1) | MoonDruid (2) as the base, then go from there!

Str: 13
Dex: 12
Con: 12
Int: 11
Wis: 12 +1
Cha: 9 +1

You have the stats to multiclass from Barbarian to Moon Druid, you can speak telepathically no problem in each of your forms.
You have resistance to Psychic, and if you went to Totem Barbarian, you'd have resistance to all!

Rely on raging, whilst in animal form, gaining the rage bonus to multiple attacks.